Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Gyneology

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So I’m currently doing my family history and am looking for people in the Liverpool and Durham / Cleveland areas, does anyone know of any good online resources other than ancestry that can help me do long distance research without having to visit these places?

Anyone tried tracing their family tree?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Centrally held records available online........ Births , marriages, deaths and censusesesesss...... they cost tho but so does every hobby.

Good luck.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Find My Past is the main one I've heard about.

I've dabbled. Ancestry probably is the best. Traced one very narrow line back to the 14th century. Others I lose in the 19th. From all over England and Ireland, mostly.

over a year ago

"Centrally held records available online........ Births , marriages, deaths and censusesesesss...... they cost tho but so does every hobby.

Good luck.

"

Is that gov.co.U.K. records? Trying to locate them but all older ones are regionalised

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

We've signed up to a number of free to join sites but they generally don't have any more information on them.

It's very difficult if your family is from certain parts of Europe too.

Have you tried searching Facebook for people with your surname who you might have a connection with?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I have been looking into my own. A good online source is find my past, also the central library in Liverpool has an archives department and there are people also researching their own history who can help.

And the Liverpool maritime museum has an archives center for any members you find who have served on ships in any type of role.

By *ubal1Man
over a year ago

Newry Down

"So I’m currently doing my family history and am looking for people in the Liverpool and Durham / Cleveland areas, does anyone know of any good online resources other than ancestry that can help me do long distance research without having to visit these places?

Anyone tried tracing their family tree? "

A lot of genealogical research can be done via the net; the 1921 census has recently come online.

over a year ago

"Find My Past is the main one I've heard about.

I've dabbled. Ancestry probably is the best. Traced one very narrow line back to the 14th century. Others I lose in the 19th. From all over England and Ireland, mostly."

Yeh ancestry is the way I’m going, some lines go to the US, Germany, mainly Ireland and the U.K.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I've dabbled. Ancestry probably is the best. Traced one very narrow line back to the 14th century. Others I lose in the 19th. From all over England and Ireland, mostly.

Yeh ancestry is the way I’m going, some lines go to the US, Germany, mainly Ireland and the U.K. "

One of my ancestors was freed from being owned as property, and the amount of information about him before that can be summarised as somewhere between jack and shit. Definitely difficulty depending on where you're looking. (Fortunately for me British penal records are meticulous )

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Yeh ancestry is the way I’m going, some lines go to the US, Germany, mainly Ireland and the U.K. "

You'll struggle with the German line as lots of records were destroyed in WW2 unless you have relatives who can give you information

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yeh ancestry is the way I’m going, some lines go to the US, Germany, mainly Ireland and the U.K.

You'll struggle with the German line as lots of records were destroyed in WW2 unless you have relatives who can give you information"

Ireland can be a challenge too

over a year ago

You'll struggle with the German line as lots of records were destroyed in WW2 unless you have relatives who can give you information

Ireland can be a challenge too"

Ireland is the easiest I’ve found, mainly as I’m from there, they’ve all been put online for the years 1845 to 1970 so that’s taken a load of work off my hands.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"So I’m currently doing my family history and am looking for people in the Liverpool and Durham / Cleveland areas, does anyone know of any good online resources other than ancestry that can help me do long distance research without having to visit these places?

Anyone tried tracing their family tree? "

The Mormons have a huge database.

By *tarflyLouWoman
over a year ago

Preston

If you find a genealogy forum with keen locals, you sometimes get kind people who are willing to go in person and find stuff for you. I had somebody in Leicestershire go and find a coroner’s report in an old local newspaper for me . I want to say it was Roots Chat but I don’t remember exactly now

By *tarflyLouWoman
over a year ago

Preston

The Mormons have a huge database. "

Yes! I think it’s Family Search. I used that for mine

over a year ago

The Mormons have a huge database. "

You’re the second person to say that to me since I started might have to put Google to work in that respect.

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Try:

ukga.org

Read in a magazine recently:

familysearch.org - looks like you have to create a free account.

Don't know if this is helpful? You could try uk genealogy in your search engine. That's brought up a few results.

over a year ago

"If you find a genealogy forum with keen locals, you sometimes get kind people who are willing to go in person and find stuff for you. I had somebody in Leicestershire go and find a coroner’s report in an old local newspaper for me . I want to say it was Roots Chat but I don’t remember exactly now "

That’s a good suggestion, wouldn’t have thought of that, thanks

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Ireland can be a challenge too

Ireland is the easiest I’ve found, mainly as I’m from there, they’ve all been put online for the years 1845 to 1970 so that’s taken a load of work off my hands. "

Yeah. My Irish roots are a little further back

over a year ago

"Try:

ukga.org

Read in a magazine recently:

familysearch.org - looks like you have to create a free account.

Don't know if this is helpful? You could try uk genealogy in your search engine. That's brought up a few results. "

Cheers for the suggestions

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Do you mean genealogy or gynecology? The first may involve looking up old relatives, the second may also involve looking up old relatives

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

A lot of UK counties have their own online registers, which will detail some information, births, deaths etc. most you can search for free, view base information, then pay a small fee to view the record and/or transcript.

Tip though, the further you go back the more random the names can be spelt, as relying on the writer of the information to understand an accent and write down what they think they heard.

over a year ago

On a mooch

Genuki is also a good place to start for each county as gives links to various places and what information they hold, as well as listing parishes, wards, towns and which fitted under what part. As records changed so did the information they listed. You may be looking for someone born in a particular village, but unless you get the church records, you need to know the ward/parish it fell under for official records match up

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

"A lot of UK counties have their own online registers, which will detail some information, births, deaths etc. most you can search for free, view base information, then pay a small fee to view the record and/or transcript.

Tip though, the further you go back the more random the names can be spelt, as relying on the writer of the information to understand an accent and write down what they think they heard. "

I agree with the last bit very much! I think my surname (as it's Gaelic), is a mis-spelling. So, it's highly likely that, that was the case.

over a year ago

"A lot of UK counties have their own online registers, which will detail some information, births, deaths etc. most you can search for free, view base information, then pay a small fee to view the record and/or transcript.

Tip though, the further you go back the more random the names can be spelt, as relying on the writer of the information to understand an accent and write down what they think they heard. "

Yeh I’ve spotted the name change a few times, think it can be due to crime or wife’s escaping husbands that sort of thing.

over a year ago

On a mooch

Tip though, the further you go back the more random the names can be spelt, as relying on the writer of the information to understand an accent and write down what they think they heard.

Yeh I’ve spotted the name change a few times, think it can be due to crime or wife’s escaping husbands that sort of thing. "

Could be but more than likely most couldn’t read and write then, so those giving the information have no idea what has been recorded. Church books can be interesting when the vicar/padre decide to add their own character comments

over a year ago

I agree with the last bit very much! I think my surname (as it's Gaelic), is a mis-spelling. So, it's highly likely that, that was the case. "

Most Irish names were Anglicised to hide the names persons from the law such as Seamus became James, Sean became John etc etc

By *ighty_tightyMan
over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"Do you mean genealogy or gynecology? The first may involve looking up old relatives, the second may also involve looking up old relatives "

I'm always too slow . . . . .

over a year ago

On a mooch

I agree with the last bit very much! I think my surname (as it's Gaelic), is a mis-spelling. So, it's highly likely that, that was the case. "

We have two branches of the family whose surname is the same as you say it, but over the years the spelling has become different, ever so slightly.

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

"Do you mean genealogy or gynecology? The first may involve looking up old relatives, the second may also involve looking up old relatives

I'm always too slow . . . . ."

Don't worry, if you think you are slow.... then I'm firmly in "window licking" territory!!!

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Me neither initially....DOH!

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I thought the title was a misspelling of gynaecology. It turn out it was a misspelling of genealogy.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

"I thought the title was a misspelling of gynaecology. It turn out it was a misspelling of genealogy. "

I have been sat here trying to think of something witty to say about the family history of wombs

Mr

over a year ago

That’s right take the loss out of my bad spelling …… at least I’m entertaining you all ….

Post new Message to Thread