Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Jury service

Jump to newest

By *torm in a double g cup OP   Woman
over a year ago

somewhere near you

Have you been called up? How was it? I've been called up once..interesting to see and be a part of it..so without going into details about your experience because as we know that's not allowed..have you played your part in the judicial service

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oo..Woman
over a year ago

Boo's World

Have been called up 3 times so far, and yes can't discuss it any further

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Yes, but it was largely boring for me. I did it at a very quiet time at the court I served. So, I spent 2 weeks reading books and sitting on one jury for a case that lasted a few short hours.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Got called up and the effort needed to get time off work and the loss of wages meant I couldn’t be bothered

I wrote them back saying I didn’t believe in eye witness testimony and never heard back from them

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

Only been called up the once and it was OK. Lots of waiting around and two cases in a fortnight. It was an enjoyable experience but not something I'd actively want to do again due to the boredom.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I've never been called up. A colleague was last year. It's left him quite traumatised but of course, he can't tell anyone any details for us to try and help him.

By *sianmale89Man
over a year ago

Stockport

As some one who has been to Magistrates Court/ Crown Court and also Coroners court I can honestly say no and hope I don’t get called up for jury service..

For the record I Never once went to court as a defendant before people start assuming that I went there for that reason instead I went to give witness statements for either work related incidents in my industry or other matters..

But some off my family members have been called up for jury service in the past and shared Small details about it..

By *ittlemiss1985Woman
over a year ago

Lansing

Can only comment on US jury selection, but I've been summoned 4 times and seated on a jury once. Wasn't too bad, it's just the waiting that I hated.

By *andonmessMan
over a year ago

A world all of his own

"I've never been called up. A colleague was last year. It's left him quite traumatised but of course, he can't tell anyone any details for us to try and help him."

My best mate sat on the jury of a case at the Old Bailey, he gave me the brief outlines (it was in the papers at the time so he wasn't disclosing anything) and it sounded pretty bloody gruelling tbh. Thankfully it didn't have a profound affect on him.

over a year ago

North West

"I've never been called up. A colleague was last year. It's left him quite traumatised but of course, he can't tell anyone any details for us to try and help him.

My best mate sat on the jury of a case at the Old Bailey, he gave me the brief outlines (it was in the papers at the time so he wasn't disclosing anything) and it sounded pretty bloody gruelling tbh. Thankfully it didn't have a profound affect on him. "

We think (based on the timings) we've guessed the case he dealt with. It was pretty grim and if it was that, unsurprising that he'd be affected by it.

By *nimaginativeUsernameMan
over a year ago

Rochester, Kent

I did it years ago, and had a fantastic time with a wonderful bunch of people. It was a pretty serious case, but we all had such a laugh at appropriate times.

over a year ago

Got called up for two weeks, they send a text to let you know if they want you the next day if not you can stay at home, never went in once and got paid because the service had covered my shift I couldn’t go into work

over a year ago

Once when I was 18. Deferred and did it at 19. Liked very much. Hope to be called up again.

over a year ago

Yes I was called up years ago. But I managed to avoid it. Wrote a letter of explanation.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Never and I hope it stays that way.

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

I was caked up about ten years ago, and ended up on the jury of a somewhat famous murder case.

I was a fascinating process, challenging and difficult at the same time. But glad that I served

By *os19Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

I was called up January 2013 first case was hard mentally as two of the jury one didn’t really want to participate and the other thought the the person looking for justice was a liar and would not be swayed and would not expand on his reason.The second case was a bit petty and there wasn’t enough clear evidence to convict.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

I’d only do it if I could be judge jury and executioner

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

I did it when I was younger. It was an awful case and the after care for jurors was pretty non-existent. I really hope that’s changed as it’s really bad to have people hear and see horrific things and then just say “right, thanks, off you pop back to your normal lives”.

Have narcolepsy now so wouldn’t be allowed to do it anymore.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I've done Jury service once but not called into a case (a few are selected to enter a court and then several chosen to take a seat). It did suprise me that for such an important requirement, majority of jurors did not want to be there and were quite open about it in the waiting area.

over a year ago

North West

"I've done Jury service once but not called into a case (a few are selected to enter a court and then several chosen to take a seat). It did suprise me that for such an important requirement, majority of jurors did not want to be there and were quite open about it in the waiting area."

Yet, if they were on the opposite side and sitting in the dock, they'd definitely want the jurors on their case to be super careful, thorough and engaged in the evidence, eh?

By *parrow77Man
over a year ago

cheshire

I’ve done twice was interesting first time and second didn’t get picked as when in selection didn’t like my job cos links to case.

Was fun though first time was just 18 so was nervous and second was 38

Post new Message to Thread