Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Tunisia ?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Anybody been there for their holidays ?

If so, what's it like ? Not bothered about prices etc, more interested in safety, crime, ripoffs etc etc

Any tips gratefully accepted.

We are hardened Turkey freaks but fancy taking our second holiday of 2013 in Tunisia but finding it difficult to find and decent forums or other information about the place.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *rokengirlWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere

Hi I know Tunisia really well.... Depends what type of holiday you are looking for to which resort will suit you best.

It's very safe country hardly a crime rate at all... You don't get as much hassle in the shops/markets now since the new government put a stop on it.

In my opnion if you like turkey you will like Tunisia xx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

we went in may - and - Tunisia is great..

but you do get hassled quite a lot from sellers.. even on the beach they are trying to tie head scarfs and beach wraps around you to make you buy-it kinda thing....

Tips are a common thing and will make you a lot of friends in the hotels etc..

ps - just dont get caught shagging on the beach or you will get arrested..

over a year ago

Thanks for the info so far, it is encouraging.

We have been thinking of the Marhaba Beach Hotel in Sousse - looks boooootiful.

To be honest, the hassle doesn't bother us too much so long as it isn't too intense. It's nice to have a bit of banter, but as a previous poster has said, the new Government has kind of clamped down on it, much the same as has happened in Turkey, so that cannot be a bad thing

over a year ago

"Thanks for the info so far, it is encouraging.

We have been thinking of the Marhaba Beach Hotel in Sousse - looks boooootiful.

To be honest, the hassle doesn't bother us too much so long as it isn't too intense. It's nice to have a bit of banter, but as a previous poster has said, the new Government has kind of clamped down on it, much the same as has happened in Turkey, so that cannot be a bad thing "

The hotel is lovely - although it is 16/17 years since I was there.

The hotel is dead on the beach, which is great and the sea is so shallow you can walk out for ages and only be up to your waist.

Dunno if it is still there but there is a beach shack serving cold drinks and pizza's etc

We didn't get mithered once by hawkers but then again, we never moved out of the hotel and it wasn't peak season.

We did get some funny looks when we had 3 bottles of wine between the two of us tho with an evening meal

And just as an aside and a bit of Bussy trivia, this was the setting for the one and only time I have ever gotten down on one knee

over a year ago

Haha Bussy thanks for that info .... According to the photos, there is still a beach shack - maybe it's been rebuilt since you were last there and it's a little too late for me to get down on one knee lol, but all indications are that we'll be there in October 2013

By *akefieldlover2Man
over a year ago

Wakefield

Marhaba beach has just been refurbed over xmas, and marhaba club good too they share the same grounds......

Have been there 3 times over last 18months, lots of fun, planning to go back in May again..

over a year ago

Been to Sousse twice now and loved it there!

Billy

By *am123Man
over a year ago

essex chelmsford

ive been to tunisia and wld never go back! didnt like it at all. have been to turkey at least 10 times and ther worlds apart in my opinion. altho it was about 8-9 years ago i went to tunis people wer way way to pushy

over a year ago

I went with my family and would never go back. Even though it was winter and I was covered up still got men shouting obscene comments and hassling me even though I was linking arms with my dad and brother. I'm used to hassle and banter as have traveled round the world by myself and can look after myself and always respect local customs but I didn't feel comfortable or safe and wouldn't even go out the hotel by myself. .. found it very aggressive and world's different to turkey which I've been to many times x

over a year ago

I'd also try Morocco ...

Been a couple of times, and highly recommend it

By *azniainCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

stayed at les orangers in hammamet , was great did nowt but eat sleep n drink , oh and a bit of the other. had no trouble with luckylucky men as police went past on horseback regularly on the beach, also was club on site so no worries if you wanted late drinks

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Anyone actually been since the Arab Spring?

By *rokengirlWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere

"Anyone actually been since the Arab Spring?"

Yeah several times... Much better now than it was even 5 years ago

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

"we went in may - and - Tunisia is great..

but you do get hassled quite a lot from sellers.. even on the beach they are trying to tie head scarfs and beach wraps around you to make you buy-it kinda thing....

Tips are a common thing and will make you a lot of friends in the hotels etc..

ps - just dont get caught shagging on the beach or you will get arrested.. "

Still doing that head scarf trick are they!? Jeeeez... they were doing that in 1994, when I went there

Really annoying

By *he-Hosiery-GentMan
over a year ago

Older Hot Bearded Guy

I'd recommend heading south into the Sahara though, that was cool. I visited a place - Matmata, I think it was called - where they filmed part of Star Wars.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

Matmama is a former stomping ground of the Légion étrangère.

over a year ago

We stayed at that hotel for our honeymoon

We love Turkey and used to go at least twice a year and thought we would enjoy Tunisia. We didnt. In fact we said we would never return to Tunisia.

But a few years later I got a very very cheap holiday at Port El Kantaoui and had a great time

I think that what was different is that Sousse is a real city - people live and work there whereas Port el is a purpose built tourist resort. Where as anywhere else I have been too Ive avoided the purpose built resorts, I think that in Tunisia they do serve their purpose well. They are more relaxed and the wearing of holiday clothes is more acceptable and its much more laid back

Sousse I hated because it really was a nightmare leaving the hotel - hassle and if you wandered the wrong direction - abuse

Drinks are hard found out of hotels, buy on the way out for drinking in your room. If you are offered ciggies on the beach or streets - they will be fake

over a year ago

Muslim country, they have booze but its crap.

over a year ago

Currently at Imperial Marhaba hotel Port el kantaoui. great place. friendly staff and good service. walked in to PEK several times (2 miles) and had no hassle at all. Be careful when comparing hotels as we have seen three Marhaba hotels so far!! Not been to Sousse yet but when went about 5 years ago had no problems.

By *un44inyksCouple
over a year ago

tadcaster

We are going back to Mahaba Beach for 3rd time ,very friendly 15 mins along the beach to the town Depends when you go but when we go its fairly quiet so you get a lot of attention from the staff and easy to make friends with other guests

Post new Message to Thread