FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Has someone ever challenged you about something and didn’t know you were an expert

Jump to newest

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

Never happened to me not an expert at anything

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

Yes. Had a pretty one sided debate with someone about how a piece of equipment worked. Equipment which I worked on every day

LvM

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Lot of experts on the forums!

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

Yep ... but mainly it's just amusing and more than likely they'd not want to know the actual truth of said area of expertism

...ignorance can be bliss

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"

Yep ... but mainly it's just amusing and more than likely they'd not want to know the actual truth of said area of expertism

...ignorance can be bliss "

I wouldn't challenge you about cake, that's for sure x

over a year ago

I’m not an expert in anything but I have read a lot about topics for my dissertation and then after because it interests me and people that haven’t picked up anything more than a newspaper article will say they’re experts in said topic and challenge what’s been studied and researched. That’s frustrating.

It’s probably even worse for the people who have done post grad research in stuff. But that’s the Internet for you. :’)

over a year ago

Yeah x

over a year ago

Yes. Someone on a parenting forum challenged me about a medical condition that I had spent 18 years studying

over a year ago

" Lot of experts on the forums! "

The forums are bad but Twitter is so much worse

By *hesexpeopleCouple
over a year ago

s wales

I love reading posts about this on other websites, looking forward to this.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

All the time.

As a tradesmen of almost 40 years,every fucker thinks they are experts in building as they have hung a door or fitted a shelf.

I just give the thousand yard stare then start waffling on about building regulations.

By *nexpectedExplorerMan
over a year ago

Gower

Most days! I often play dumb though, it’s easier

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I’ve told it before but I’ll tell it again

Get a message from a couple

It’s a challenge. Grapple the male half. If I win I get his misses. If he wins, he gets me

I say great, sounds lovely as I’ve been doing bjj for a good few years at that point

Never got a reply back

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

In my line of business I get it all the time from the boy racers out there

Still if they want to put them selves in danger I can only advise so much

You can't fix stupid is what somebody said once

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

Yep, they were extolling the virtues of What3Words, most overhyped piece of twaddle.

I'm a geospatial consultant and soon put them right

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Yeah I have a whole ass degree in a really specific subject that trained nearly everyone who works in that industry but people regularly argue with me about that shit .

Oh my ex boyfriend also thought he knew more about female orgasms than me, a female orgasmer.

By *mily36CWoman
over a year ago

Bedford (or anywhere beginning with B..!?)

"

...ignorance can be bliss

I wouldn't challenge you about cake, that's for sure x"

You'd be on dodgy ground with cream too!

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Yes a Spanish speaker asked if what he said in Spanish was correct

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Happens pretty often. Not only my/our academic speciality/ies but also non-disabled people chatting shit about matters relating to disability access or matters relating to autistic spectrum conditions...

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes. Sweet baby Jesus

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Yes, Rock/paper/scissors: The fool never knew I was reigning world champion….

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

By a barrister in court over faulty equipment a customer had given us in lieu of an outstanding debt.

He insinuated that the equipment was fine and my staff and I simply didn't have the proper training but his clients were more than willing to provide the required knowledge.

In return I asked if he knew who had trained his clients on the equipment in the first place?

He obviously didn't and was embarassed to learn that it was me.

over a year ago

"Yes. Sweet baby Jesus "

That meme you sent me is perfect here

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

"Oh my ex boyfriend also thought he knew more about female orgasms than me, a female orgasmer. "

Everyone knows that's a myth

LvM

over a year ago

Sometimes it’s more fun to not tell them and just smile inside.

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"By a barrister in court over faulty equipment a customer had given us in lieu of an outstanding debt.

He insinuated that the equipment was fine and my staff and I simply didn't have the proper training but his clients were more than willing to provide the required knowledge.

In return I asked if he knew who had trained his clients on the equipment in the first place?

He obviously didn't and was embarassed to learn that it was me. "

perfect

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Yes

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"Yes. Sweet baby Jesus

That meme you sent me is perfect here "

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Yes and I find it amusing then prove them wrong I'm a fud but smart

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

I currently have a graduate engineer working alongside me.

He's never done my job before.

For the last few days he's been telling me how to use one of our software suites "properly"

A suite he's never seen before.

A suite he's never used before.

A suite I've been using for 5 years and have purchased for 3 other company's.

It won't be long before I "explain" things to him.

Winston

By *rLothbrokMan
over a year ago

Lancs

Yes, in my last job. By the person appointed to train me on hydraulics. I’m a qualified engineer with more than a decade of experience on aircraft hydraulic systems

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

Pretty much constantly.

There's one specific thing I'm really good at it.

It's something loads of people *think* they're good at.

They're wrong.

Some of them get *very* upset when I politely explain to them *why* they're wrong.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

"Pretty much constantly.

They're wrong.

Some of them get *very* upset when I politely explain to them *why* they're wrong.

"

Is it the use of *?

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

A few times - on aspects of medieval history/ life/ weaponry.

We always try to explain how we know the truth without sounding condescending.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

A couple of friends and I once listened to a much younger man explain about women to us over dinner.

We said nothing, he'll find out...

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I tend to acquire lots of knowledge about things that interest me, though I wouldn't describe myself as an expert. In my hotel overwinter, 1 guest insisted he was an expert in many things. Unfortunately. almost all of the fields he brought up to use to impress us were things that I was able to factually correct him on. Palm tree species, evolution, politics. psychology, physics and others, including some very basic knowledge. I let him escape as he wasn't able to pull the wool over my eyes. Sad that some are insecure and try to be better than others.

I'm always happy to talk and share passionately with others who are interested. It's tedious if it's not about interest, for anyone though

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

Yes. I just listen to them waffle on...there is no educating stupid! x

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

Twice that was memorable.

Once by a locum at work. Was telling me how things should be done for a particular policy. “Corrected” me when I disagreed with him. Then asked in a sneery tone why I thought I was right and he was wrong given he’d been doing our job for more years overall and had worked in the same place as me a few times previously so was aware of the policy. I wrote the policy…

The funniest one was at Silverstone. When my late husband went to the toilet a guy behind me offered to teach me some MotoGP facts to impress the husband. Without waiting for an answer he doled out three facts. I corrected him that one of his facts was wrong, hit him with a couple of facts and commented on a couple of bike things he’d been “educating” his partner on through the morning (several of them wrong). He went very quiet very quickly. When he went to the toilet his partner massively got the giggles and said she’d been hoping that one day one of the women he patronised at race weekends would know more than him.

over a year ago

Yes i enjoy playing the clueless dummy online catches people off guard Boris actually stole it from me twonk

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Twice that was memorable.

Once by a locum at work. Was telling me how things should be done for a particular policy. “Corrected” me when I disagreed with him. Then asked in a sneery tone why I thought I was right and he was wrong given he’d been doing our job for more years overall and had worked in the same place as me a few times previously so was aware of the policy. I wrote the policy…

The funniest one was at Silverstone. When my late husband went to the toilet a guy behind me offered to teach me some MotoGP facts to impress the husband. Without waiting for an answer he doled out three facts. I corrected him that one of his facts was wrong, hit him with a couple of facts and commented on a couple of bike things he’d been “educating” his partner on through the morning (several of them wrong). He went very quiet very quickly. When he went to the toilet his partner massively got the giggles and said she’d been hoping that one day one of the women he patronised at race weekends would know more than him.

"

great when that happens good on you

over a year ago

"Yes. I just listen to them waffle on...there is no educating stupid! x"

This is the best way, especially if the other people around you know that you know your subject. Just let the idiot dig the hole deeper

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

"Yes. I just listen to them waffle on...there is no educating stupid! x

This is the best way, especially if the other people around you know that you know your subject. Just let the idiot dig the hole deeper "

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Twice that was memorable.

"

I witnessed something similar to your first one once in work. We had a surgeon nobody had worked with before and the other staff were questioning her interpretation of a policy. They didn't realise that her main job was actually writing and reviewing our clinical policies and she was just working with us that day to maintain her competencies .

By *aui.Man
over a year ago

around here

It happens daily at work and even though they know absolutely nothing they are still adamant that they are right.

over a year ago

"Never happened to me not an expert at anything "

Same.

Encountered a lot of people who thought they were experts though, and even though I wasn't an expert, I could still tell they were talking dung.

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Never happened to me not an expert at anything

Same.

Encountered a lot of people who thought they were experts though, and even though I wasn't an expert, I could still tell they were talking dung."

I am an expert on common sense got me this far in life

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan
over a year ago

Aylesbury

I'm certainly no expert on anything. I'm a jack of all trades but a master of none

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

I'm no expert but the things I know about I know about.

All the time

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

Wouldn't class myself as an expert, but I've been doing my job for 16 years, I know a hell of a lot about it...

It's always funny when patients tell me what I should be doing to sort an issue and I sit there and just nod a smile and when they finish I show them its the exact opposite

By *yrdsisWoman
over a year ago

Gleam Street

No expert, but had a few folk challenge me upon telling them my dog isn't generally men friendly..

"Dog's love me.. I get on great with them"

As she then backs away and barks furiously.... then they get pissy about her reaction...

Sorry... not sorry... did tell ya

By *uffolkClareClactonDaveCouple
over a year ago

Felixstowe/Clacton-on-Sea

I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I know a fair bit about going to football matches having seen games at 88 of the 92 Premier League and Football League grounds, plus loads of non league games too.

On several occasions a non football fan has tried to lecture me on the subject of going to matches and it does p*ss me off, especially when those commenting have more often than not never been to a game in their lives!

By *ildmanYorksMan
over a year ago

Doncaster & Bembridge

A friend of the OH married a guy who "knows everything to know about everything". Basically like the two short planks. He once tried to lecture me while out with a group of friends how he had created a brilliant Access database for work. He offered to show me how to create one despite knowing that at work I designed and developed enterprise level databases! What a plonker!

By *for2Man
over a year ago

Bristol

"Happens pretty often. Not only my/our academic speciality/ies but also non-disabled people chatting shit about matters relating to disability access or matters relating to autistic spectrum conditions..."

One word for usual disability access... Shit! I just had an appt with Sirona for oxygen therapy. The appt room was on the 1st floor at the furthest point from the entrance. What idiot booked that room. Users of oxygen so people with breathing problems made to go upstairs and as far as possible from entrance. You couldn't make it up could you.

By *olden PoleMan
over a year ago

Thal

Yes and stood there bemused as a chap waffled away on how a GPMG was magazine fed and prone to stoppages due to cramming to many rounds in the mag.

I never said a word but thought....oh boy!

over a year ago

My ex husband challenged my expertise in making spaghetti bolognese... I put him under the patio

NBVN x

over a year ago

Happened just 2 days ago, questioned the way I was doing my job , while I don't claim to be an expert I do know the rules , to do my job well and by the book , to be fair he came back like a man later and confirmed I was correct as he'd just spent the last 2 hours looking into it. Duly apologised and all good in the hood as they say.

over a year ago

"Yes and stood there bemused as a chap waffled away on how a GPMG was magazine fed and prone to stoppages due to cramming to many rounds in the mag.

I never said a word but thought....oh boy!"

I can't wait till the Army starts doing there fairs again where the public get to see the weapons, my daughter who looks like she's as weak as mince and about 7 stone was an instructor in new recruit training with the army and I'm gonna piss myself watching the lads faces when she strips and reassembles some weapons in front of them. Or does an inspection on them .

over a year ago

Had someone argue genetics with me... im a published genetic researcher..

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I have an approximate knowledge of most things

over a year ago

Yes.

Builder was looking to buy my old house and started questioning if the electrics were upto the latest regulations.

Little did he know I'm am electrical design engineer so shut him down fairly quickly

By *usman 199 OP   Man
over a year ago

Stockport

"Yes.

Builder was looking to buy my old house and started questioning if the electrics were upto the latest regulations.

Little did he know I'm am electrical design engineer so shut him down fairly quickly "

over a year ago

Yes, regularly in a particular area of my work, usually a case of I've been doing this for 40 years and you cant possibly know more than I do.

On one occasion the person was talking about a scientific paper that had just been released and was I aware of it, err, yes, I wrote it.

By *ilfCrumpet9Man
over a year ago

Wirral

Yes many a time and I just listen and agree which is so much easier then engaging with them

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

Not me but my granddaughter's partners visited with his dad and was telling my ex husband how he should wallpaper something.

My ex has been wallpapering professionally for 30 years.

His face was a picture

over a year ago

An adventure to the pub led to me having a half hour discussion about space x and reusable rockets… felt sorry for the poor guy by the end

over a year ago

"Yes and stood there bemused as a chap waffled away on how a GPMG was magazine fed and prone to stoppages due to cramming to many rounds in the mag.

I never said a word but thought....oh boy!"

I have carried and used small arms and other infantry weapons in the British Army and for other reasons and elsewhere for most of my life, and have instructed on small arms, but have quite often been 'told about' things by civilians that are complete nonsense. They usually shut up when I explain what I know and how I know it (but not on here, where they have been known to respond:'But you could be making all of that up", which is of course exactly what they do!).

over a year ago

I was once travelling in East Africa and an actually rather nice middle aged English couple pointed at a crop growing by the road, and the man said: "Look, that's tea, isn't it?" I politely replied: "No, it's coffee actually". He said: "No, I don't think so, it's tea". I am no great expert and it wasn't my normal line of work but I had worked briefly in the coffee business in a coffee growing area in East Africa dealing directly with the crop a few years earlier (and had also seen tea crops before!).

Sadly when I explained politely how I knew they didn't seem at all happy to be enlightened, and quickly changed the subject, as is often the case!

over a year ago

"An adventure to the pub led to me having a half hour discussion about space x and reusable rockets… felt sorry for the poor guy by the end "

Please tell us that he (or you) happened to use that old phrase: 'You don't need to be a rocket scientist..." (Or in your case added: ".. but it so happens that I am one."?

By *erces LetiferMan
over a year ago

Somewhere off the edge of the map... 'ere there be monsters

Yes. Some members of the public have come into my place of work and challenged me about how my work / job works… whilst I’m at work. Does that count as them not knowing? Lol.

By *ookingfun82Man
over a year ago

Enniskillen

Sort of daily thing, with kids. I remember an ex-girlfriends young teenage daughter tell her mother she knew more about sex than her mother did.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Was shut down by a hospital consultant regarding a specific condition. So I asked him if he'd read the work of Dr. X in 1988 who published a paper on it after conducting a study.

Said consultant said he had not.

I thanked said consultant for their time, but said "If you are not reading every paper and study on the condition you purport to treat, you are not really a expert in your field are you ? What other gaps exist in your knowledge ?".

By *jekimMan
over a year ago

Wigan

Haha nothing better than blowing someone away who think they know it all in had it a few times people tend to underestimate my knowledge haha

By *mjames00Man
over a year ago

S Gloucs

"It happens daily at work and even though they know absolutely nothing they are still adamant that they are right."

^^ This with my boss. I have now lost count of how many times I have had to correct their work. Without wanting to sound big headed, just can't be assed to tell them that I am considered a world expert in a very niche bit of software.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

"Pretty much constantly.

They're wrong.

Is it the use of *?"

Well, one has to do *something* to indicate emphasis when the Fab forum is too archaic to allow any kind of text formatting. Unfortunately, judicious use of asterisks is all we've got.

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

My wife asked me about anal, she didnt realise i had a degree in it

T

over a year ago

Not an expert on the subject but I been known to put a few people right about egyptology.

over a year ago

Yeah mainly Terfs who think they know about trans feminine health

over a year ago

"An adventure to the pub led to me having a half hour discussion about space x and reusable rockets… felt sorry for the poor guy by the end

Please tell us that he (or you) happened to use that old phrase: 'You don't need to be a rocket scientist..." (Or in your case added: ".. but it so happens that I am one."?"

Actually I did end up using the rocket scientist one, we were talking about why we needed to land on Mars and it’s obvious that with two planets survival odds are increased as a species… don’t need to know rocket science for that bit

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"My wife asked me about anal, she didnt realise i had a degree in it

T"

Are you a proctologist?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

Happens occasionally as there are still (relatively) few women in IT. Can be really good fun if it is taken in a light-hearted way.

By *ilffadMan
over a year ago

swansea

God yes, all the time, various topics I have in-depth knowledge in. I let them rabbit on, then correct them

Post new Message to Thread