Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Are you lucky to be alive

Jump to newest

By *carlet_woman_xx OP   Woman
over a year ago

somewhere

Probably the first serious post I've done. Last year I had acute appendicitis. Went to the doctor's with a pain that I'd had for a week but thought I'd pulled something throwing up for days. Rushed to hospital and emergency op. After the op was told I was lucky to be alive. Spent 8 days in hospital and another 3 weeks in bed. Depression hit the roof. I view life now very differently. I'm starting college in a week. I'm trying new things all the time now as before I'd have said no through anxiety. Life is worth living

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Probably the first serious post I've done. Last year I had acute appendicitis. Went to the doctor's with a pain that I'd had for a week but thought I'd pulled something throwing up for days. Rushed to hospital and emergency op. After the op was told I was lucky to be alive. Spent 8 days in hospital and another 3 weeks in bed. Depression hit the roof. I view life now very differently. I'm starting college in a week. I'm trying new things all the time now as before I'd have said no through anxiety. Life is worth living "

And we are lucky to have you still with us x

over a year ago

Great story we all need to take a step back and appreciate what we have x we live in the present moving forever forward it’s a gift from the creator

over a year ago

somewhere

"Probably the first serious post I've done. Last year I had acute appendicitis. Went to the doctor's with a pain that I'd had for a week but thought I'd pulled something throwing up for days. Rushed to hospital and emergency op. After the op was told I was lucky to be alive. Spent 8 days in hospital and another 3 weeks in bed. Depression hit the roof. I view life now very differently. I'm starting college in a week. I'm trying new things all the time now as before I'd have said no through anxiety. Life is worth living

And we are lucky to have you still with us x"

I have missed sister Jennie

over a year ago

Apendics when 2 and broke my neck when I was 48. Seemed to have been lucky so far. Glad all is ok OP

over a year ago

Yeah had bacterial meningitis when I was a newborn.

over a year ago

I remember appendicitis pain all too well op it's no fun! But sometimes in life pain brings a realisation to us and spurs us on to do more ,do better and do things we wouldn't dare do! Go for it live your life and relish it

By *tarflyLouWoman
over a year ago

Preston

That sounds really scary, I’m glad you made it through and I love that outlook! Good luck at college

over a year ago

"Probably the first serious post I've done. Last year I had acute appendicitis. Went to the doctor's with a pain that I'd had for a week but thought I'd pulled something throwing up for days. Rushed to hospital and emergency op. After the op was told I was lucky to be alive. Spent 8 days in hospital and another 3 weeks in bed. Depression hit the roof. I view life now very differently. I'm starting college in a week. I'm trying new things all the time now as before I'd have said no through anxiety. Life is worth living

And we are lucky to have you still with us x

I have missed sister Jennie "

Amen

over a year ago

I'm glad you are OK and got help before it was too late. And I'm glad it has changed you in ways.

It's important to remember that life is precious and we are privileged to be alive and well in this moment.

over a year ago

somewhere

"Great story we all need to take a step back and appreciate what we have x we live in the present moving forever forward it’s a gift from the creator "

Took long enough for me to tell and glad I did

over a year ago

Took some penicillin, felt really breathless and dizzy. Thought I’d maybe go and lie down until it wore off. Never made it to bed. Partner at the time came home from work early (as job finished sooner than expected). Found un conscious behind the front door. Anaphylaxis.

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

Oh OP! What an experience you had!!

Good luck at college. Going back to uni was the best thing I did.

I had a serious case of Measles when I was a baby. Thankfully it only took half of my hearing.

over a year ago

im glad you're okay now OP, and you have that wonderful outlook

ive had my fair share of near-misses, but they've mostly been self-inflicted. Still figuring out if mine is worth living too.

Px

over a year ago

I’m not one for serious posts or in depth stories but there have been a number of occasions where I’ve been extremely lucky to still be here, others, unfortunately weren’t so lucky.

over a year ago

somewhere

"I'm glad you are OK and got help before it was too late. And I'm glad it has changed you in ways.

It's important to remember that life is precious and we are privileged to be alive and well in this moment. "

Thank you

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Glad you are ok OP

I am thankful for being a survivor every single day x

over a year ago

So happy you’re here, OP .

I am lucky to be alive.

over a year ago

Also if you work out the probability of you existing it’s roughly 1 in 400 trillion.

Everybody is lucky to be alive.

By *othicslaveCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

Had a couple close calls one i did need the kiss of life

By *merald Eyes XWoman
over a year ago

Can you find me….

[Removed by poster at 12/04/22 18:50:43]

By *onkeynutWoman
over a year ago

somewhere

Hand a couple of close calls.

The worst was sepsis. Certainly makes me thankful to be here.

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

Yes had a few accidents

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

Yes parents decided not to go to the Mulberry Bush pub the night the Birmingham pub bombings happens because my to be mother wasn't feeling well

Had the worst happened there's a chance o wouldn't have been conceived just a month after the bombing she fell pregnant with me.

By *risxbrisxMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Anaphalactic shocks, the worst one was when traveling - didn't have epipen w/me because it got taken at airport. They always check it out because it looks like massive needle on the scanner, security must have forgot to put it back or put it in wrong bag.. I didn't realise until in other country and sods law had a reallly bad reaction after a restaurant (must have been heavily cross contammed), had to try get to a hospital, it took ages, had to get a taxi as was fastest way to hospital, mega language barrier too, I legit accepted that I may die that day, could hardly walk up the stairs to even get in the the hospital, those legends saved my life.

Being passenger in car crash in my early 20s was pretty gnarly, could have been a lot worse, car was wrecked.

Born 4 months premature in incubator with all kinds of issues as a baby, not that I remember lol but apparently I was very lucky to make it.

Even historically, a Buzzbomb in ww2 hit next door factory to where grandad was which could have easily been the end of my family bloodline before I was even here.

I think we are all suuuper lucky to be here and that certain things like close calls etc deffo can change perspective and make us reevaluate how we treat our friends, family and selfs, life can be taken away so easily, it's pretty mad.

I'm way more careful these days.. especially with the allergy.

Sorry for the essay but yes OP I totally understand how you feel after going through that close call!

Give thanks for life

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Brain infection a few years ago. Thought I had swine flu so didn't risk a flight to the UK. That would have been fun! American health care was superb luckily.

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS
over a year ago

Newquay

Some close calls here, grateful that the OP & others are here to share.

Mine was falling off a cliff in Cornwall - & actually did see moments of my life flash by whilst falling!

Thankfully landed on a sloping/grassy bit that broke my fall & I slid/rolled most of the way down - scary as fuck mind!

over a year ago

"Probably the first serious post I've done. Last year I had acute appendicitis. Went to the doctor's with a pain that I'd had for a week but thought I'd pulled something throwing up for days. Rushed to hospital and emergency op. After the op was told I was lucky to be alive. Spent 8 days in hospital and another 3 weeks in bed. Depression hit the roof. I view life now very differently. I'm starting college in a week. I'm trying new things all the time now as before I'd have said no through anxiety. Life is worth living "

xxxxxxx

over a year ago

"Some close calls here, grateful that the OP & others are here to share.

Mine was falling off a cliff in Cornwall - & actually did see moments of my life flash by whilst falling!

Thankfully landed on a sloping/grassy bit that broke my fall & I slid/rolled most of the way down - scary as fuck mind!"

Fucking hell!

By *aldyreynoldsMan
over a year ago

Oldbury

Blown up in Northern Ireland. I survived, others didn't.

Yes, I am lucky to still be here but sometimes wonder why.

By *ememberTheNameMan
over a year ago

barnsley

Yes very much so

I had a rare brain tumour when I was 16

Left me fully paralysed down one side of my body

14 years later … I’m a qualified PT

Working on a super yacht

Living the dream

By *oson-BlueCouple
over a year ago

North Kent

I’m lucky that I never had a close call but I’m thankful for so much in my life nowadays unlike in my teens and twenties when I never thought life was worth living

I lost one of my best friends a few years back and I still miss her to this day, I’m so lucky to have the life I have now and count my blessings everyday for my family and my health

Ms

over a year ago

Im glad you made it thru such a touch time with a winning mentality

And yes i am alive too il assign the luckiness level based on how it pans out by the end but so far so good

over a year ago

yep

NHS have saved my life loads of times.

cant get a back referral but have stopped me from dying at least 3 times..

im not sure its changed my outlook though... luck or modern science?

By *ind PaddyMan
over a year ago

South County Dublin

. My dad fell into the canal and took a heart attack, he was missing for 4 weeks when my younger brother identified the body. About 2 years later had a breakdown as I had not seen my dad's body I recovered got on with life, got uni degree and accountancy qualification. I understand depression, best of luck op in college, think positive and keep exercising

over a year ago

Glad you are better now OP.

Had too many close calls, had burst appendix, been stabbed, shot and recently a life changing bike crash, makes you suddenly think that life no matter how crap it gets is rather precious! As for the depression it gets harder to fight when ill, but you just grab those little rays of light and don't let go.

over a year ago

Yes, I'm lucky to be here as all my life I have had illness and disease. I have auto-immune disease, a pituitary brain tumour and I have just survived cancer, surgery and radiotherapy. Thank god for the NHS

By *airymagicWoman
over a year ago

goblin city

Yes very much so

I had a rare brain tumour when I was 16

Left me fully paralysed down one side of my body

14 years later … I’m a qualified PT

Working on a super yacht

Living the dream "

That's bloody brilliant ??

By *merald Eyes XWoman
over a year ago

Can you find me….

Extremely lucky to be alive….

over a year ago

somewhere

"Took some penicillin, felt really breathless and dizzy. Thought I’d maybe go and lie down until it wore off. Never made it to bed. Partner at the time came home from work early (as job finished sooner than expected). Found un conscious behind the front door. Anaphylaxis. "

So glad your ok. Do you have a new z at for life now

over a year ago

somewhere

"Took some penicillin, felt really breathless and dizzy. Thought I’d maybe go and lie down until it wore off. Never made it to bed. Partner at the time came home from work early (as job finished sooner than expected). Found un conscious behind the front door. Anaphylaxis.

So glad your ok. Do you have a new z at for life now "

Zest

over a year ago

somewhere

"Oh OP! What an experience you had!!

I had a serious case of Measles when I was a baby. Thankfully it only took half of my hearing.

"

It was scary but I didn't have long to ponder on it

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

I cut through an electric cable, and cut off half a small town, with a jack hammer many years ago. I only found out when a woman out her head out the window and asked why the electricity was off.

over a year ago

I rolled an Austin 1800 just 5 days after the seat belt law came into force!

By * U mineMan
over a year ago

Fun

Exactly the same thing happened to me 40 years ago, straight from gp to hospital, surgeon said can't understand why you haven't got peritonitis, cane home three days later with a pipe hanging out of my stomach, went to work the next day ( own business) , then can honestly say never gave it a second thought. Life is to short to worry about how your living it.

By *indergirlWoman
over a year ago

somewhere, someplace

German measles as a baby, gp dismissed it as a teething rash to start, but by the time mum got me home I was head to toe in rash and quite poorly.

Touch wood nothing life threatening since

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

It always amazes me how we all have the capacity to change our mindset and radically transform our lives but often takes events like this.

I also live each day likes it’s my last , it’s a great place to be.

All best with college. Try not to forget how you feel right now, keep a journal because it will fade and you’ll need to remember

By *uxom redCouple
over a year ago

Shrewsbury

Great your OK op

Live one day to the next, Cancer twice taught me that.

Plus don't take life for granted not matter how bad things may be. There is always a positive to be found even in your darkest scariest moments.

By *for2Man
over a year ago

Bristol

Very lucky to be alive got diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis Dec 2017 told I had months rather than years. Got put on trial drugs and am still here. I will still die as its a terminal illness, but done so much in the last 4 and a bit years. Lots of things I always wanted to do but never got round to etc. Knowing you are dying concentrates the mind wonderfully and you realise whats important to you and what isnt. But, hey am still here, still loving life. I might be working on it but I'm not dead yet, and I'm buggered if I'm going to go quietly into the night!

By *asycouple1971Couple
over a year ago

midlands

I was born in a breech position.

Guess I am lucky to be here.

Him

By *eisty LadyWoman
over a year ago

Count Your Blessings Cottage, Gratitude Grove

Yeah almost died, had last rights but saved after blood transfusion

Been in multiple car crashes - around 10 - thankfully just one resulted in me being stretchered off in an ambulance

I was one of the first people with covid, survived despite having a chronic auto immune illness

I’m a survivor

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

I was having a procedure done when I haemorrhaged and was blue lighted to A&E when I was 16. I don’t remember much about it. I remember waking up with the tube in my throat. Spent another few days in hospital recuperating. Was off school for a few weeks.

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

Taken into hospital last year, and they found a growth and all the signs of pancreatic cancer.

I was in for over a week of tests, with nothing coming back conclusive.

Then I started healing with no medication. Nothing was found and I'm totally clear and healthy again. Doctors wrote it off as an 'oddity'.

A few of months later my mum started showing the same symptoms, so we got her to hospital where she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and unfortunately passed away a week later, just before Christmas.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

I could have died if I didn't have friends that worried about me when I went quiet for a couple of days about 4 years ago and they called the police who then knocked my door down

By *iedandtestedMan
over a year ago

BOURNEMOUTH

After last night's kebab, yes

over a year ago

Been there, wanted to end myself when mother past, but I had something come over me and remind me I'm here for a reason.

By *rive u crazyMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

I'd love to appreciate life like you do

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

If I was born second instead of first I'd be dead now.

over a year ago

Enjoy college, yes there's nothing like a brush with death to make you see whats really important in life and to seize the moment. I've had a couple myself, but i'm still fighting and loving every morning I get to wake up now and am grateful for that.

over a year ago

Fantastic outcome for you

By *ames-77Man
over a year ago

milton keynes

I was going to answer with the two car accidents where I should of died but to be honest.. we're all lucky to be alive and healthy I've lost young friends to cancer doesn't make sense they were better than me as a person healthy .. enjoy it while your here

By *ripodius WillyusMan
over a year ago

Colne

Yes had sepsis in 2018 in icu a week hallucinating my now ex said I was acting strange.

Long story short was rushed in hossy apparently infection markers crp normally around 20 mine were over 200.

Since then have had 4 more episodes.

Long term effects for me is extreme fatigue. My legs randomly give way resulting in falls.

Last friday morning woke up could see the walls moving and my mobile floating even though in my hand.

I tried standing up and legs were non existent.

1st time had hallucinations and leg issues same time.

In december last year had mri on back found out few week ago sepsis has damaged nerves in spine.

Last year had major op on thigh to remove damaged muscle as leg is getting weaker because quadricep muscle not attached to hop.

over a year ago

I had a stroke in 2020 at 37. Luckily I was at work, realise and took myself to a&e and got treatment very quickly and I've had a great outcome.

over a year ago

"Yeah had bacterial meningitis when I was a newborn."
apparently was given the last rights.

over a year ago

I would say so yes. I nearly took my own life at my darkest moment and still to this day, I'm not sure what stopped me but I'm grateful for whatever did.

over a year ago

Injured by IED in Afghanistan 2014

Physical,as well as cptsd, couldn't understand why I was alive others didn't make It

struggled with man up shite, drugs alcohol, came To a Head with suicide attempt, finally got help, and still do, latest events trigger me,but I cope, and try to. Keep,going.

over a year ago

Yes!

By *.R.MMan
over a year ago

Norfolk

Yes, I was run over by a car, luckily it wasn’t a 4x4

over a year ago

"I was going to answer with the two car accidents where I should of died but to be honest.. we're all lucky to be alive and healthy I've lost young friends to cancer doesn't make sense they were better than me as a person healthy .. enjoy it while your here "

over a year ago

I’ve used up 7 of my 9 lives, including some very very close calls

By *rad670Man
over a year ago

South Lakes

My sister said a few years ago after a helicopter rescue from 7 miles out at sea that if I was a cat I would be out of lives.

By *uicy 2020Woman
over a year ago

London

Yes, but not through accidents. The last time, my brother saved my life by getting the police to break into my flat, i was very close to death, spent a month in hospital in all, about a week and a half of which was in a coma in ICU, very touch and go. Was very upset about still being alive when i did regain conciousness, and stayed in a really bad place for over a year after. But i am now grateful for what my brother did. I was also very lucky to have recovered physically from this episode, the drs expected me to have long lasting disabilities.

over a year ago

somewhere

"Oh OP! What an experience you had!!

"

Sorry to hear and thanks

over a year ago

somewhere

"im glad you're okay now OP, and you have that wonderful outlook

ive had my fair share of near-misses, but they've mostly been self-inflicted. Still figuring out if mine is worth living too.

Px "

Yes it's worth living. Try something new. It may change your out look too

over a year ago

Had T.B as a kid, struck by lightning when I was 8, went through a car windscreen during a crash in my late 20s and got stabbed when I was in my 30s.

Think I'm still here as neither upstairs or down below want me or would know what to do with me

By *9alMan
over a year ago

Bridgend

I had a heart attack 2 years ago, we all moan about the NHS but they are good in an emergency, just have to enjoy life & not worry too much about the future

over a year ago

"Yes, but not through accidents. The last time, my brother saved my life by getting the police to break into my flat, i was very close to death, spent a month in hospital in all, about a week and a half of which was in a coma in ICU, very touch and go. Was very upset about still being alive when i did regain conciousness, and stayed in a really bad place for over a year after. But i am now grateful for what my brother did. I was also very lucky to have recovered physically from this episode, the drs expected me to have long lasting disabilities. "

over a year ago

"Yes, but not through accidents. The last time, my brother saved my life by getting the police to break into my flat, i was very close to death, spent a month in hospital in all, about a week and a half of which was in a coma in ICU, very touch and go. Was very upset about still being alive when i did regain conciousness, and stayed in a really bad place for over a year after. But i am now grateful for what my brother did. I was also very lucky to have recovered physically from this episode, the drs expected me to have long lasting disabilities. "

We’re so lucky to still have you.

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Yes… far too many stupid things I’ve done to list here

over a year ago

I suffered respiratory arrest as a youngster due to an infection. Luckily I made it through. In my job I meet people who feel they have little to live for, but assure them them we all have a positive impact on others, even if it is difficult for us to recognise this. I have a condition which will eventually make self care impossible for me, so I count each day a blessing

Post new Message to Thread