Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The Panorama care home documentary

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
Forum Mod

over a year ago

If anyone remembers this programme a few months ago which cause absolute outrage and disgust.......well theres now an outcome

Six members of staff caught abusing vulnerable residents at a care home by an undercover journalist have been jailed.

Five others were given suspended sentences by a judge at Bristol Crown Court, who condemned the abuse they meted out to disabled patients at the Winterbourne View private hospital, at Hambrook, South Gloucestershire.

Ive copied this from skynews,nice to know that there was some action taken

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Just watched this , I didn't see the programme but what I have just seen on news made me feel sick. Still not sure the punishment is hard enough for the crime but at least they have been punished.

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman
over a year ago

Deviant City

"Just watched this , I didn't see the programme but what I have just seen on news made me feel sick. Still not sure the punishment is hard enough for the crime but at least they have been punished. "

same here, I didn't watch it and was shocked at what I saw on the news.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 26/10/12 13:26:23]

over a year ago

Absolute shocker of a story at the time and just as shocking now. One of the female abusers got a beating from a member of public some time ago. Someone should give that man a medal.

over a year ago

They didnt look like the sort of people who were suitable to be looking after anyone realy. also they should all be put in prison for a lot longer.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Callum reported one of his co workers at a home and they where instantly dismissed.

over a year ago

I'd still want to slap them silly if they had done that to any of my immediate family.

I know retaliation is wrong and I'd probably not carry it out, but it is how I feel.

I'm ashamed to say I'd want to administer the same to them only ten-fold as they are not frail and vulnerable.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

The shame is the company which owned the home, Castlebeck, own others and ran them with the same slack standards..... including East Midlands Centre for Neurobehavioural Rehabilitation. If you needed help following brain trauma in the East Mids, you had no choice but to go there.

Whilst Castlebeck were investigated, a great deal has been brushed under the carpet at their other centres.

The company is still running, on behalf of the NHS, centres all over the country.

over a year ago

"They didnt look like the sort of people who were suitable to be looking after anyone realy. also they should all be put in prison for a lot longer."

I'm sorry but this gets to me , I work in the same line of care and some of the people I work with would scare me if I saw them and didn't know them. They are fantastic at their jobs being probably the softest of us all. Please do not judge people by looks alone.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
Forum Mod

over a year ago

"Callum reported one of his co workers at a home and they where instantly dismissed.

"

Im totally impressed with him! its so very easy to ignore abuse for so many reasons and more people like him a re needed to be strong enough to stand up to outrageous behaviour that can so easily become seen as the "norm" because thats just how everyone treats people,therefore its ok as we've always done it like this

Caring is hard work,poor wages,sometimes with very little training or support and has a massively high staff turn over because people think its easy when its not

No wonder that people like the ones that have been highlighted in that programme manage to be placed in positions of trust and dealing with vulnerable people when its the last place they should be,im sure its sometimes desparation to fill the jobs

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

"Callum reported one of his co workers at a home and they where instantly dismissed.

Im totally impressed with him! its so very easy to ignore abuse for so many reasons and more people like him a re needed to be strong enough to stand up to outrageous behaviour that can so easily become seen as the "norm" because thats just how everyone treats people,therefore its ok as we've always done it like this

Caring is hard work,poor wages,sometimes with very little training or support and has a massively high staff turn over because people think its easy when its not

No wonder that people like the ones that have been highlighted in that programme manage to be placed in positions of trust and dealing with vulnerable people when its the last place they should be,im sure its sometimes desparation to fill the jobs "

Im proud of him, and good on the care home. It happened on a night shift, he reported it the next day and they where dismissed. He was a new little 22 year old and this person had been therre years.

over a year ago

I watched this programme and cried my heart out, i was as angry as fuck also. How dare these people call themselves "carers" disgusting,.

I would love to put them in a room with the families and see what happens . taste of their own medicine.

2yrs was in no way enough time to be put away.

AND well done callum for reporting, more people in this industry need to take a more responsible role.

over a year ago

There is a follow up on this on monday night.

be worth watching

Post new Message to Thread