Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should shops be closed on a sunday?

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

No. This is 2022 and shops should be open.

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

When I was young shops were closed on Sundays, but in this day an age people want to go shopping when they want. Most people only have weekends off, so I understand the need for the shops to be open on a Sunday

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

No, shops should be open and not closed just because _hagtonight doesn't do his shopping on a Sunday.

Sometimes I leave my shopping till the weekend, this would give me only one day to do it. Many people are out shopping on the Sunday. Shops are suffering enough let alone cutting a day of trade.

If anything, Sunday trading should be extended.

By *rivervaderMan
over a year ago

bolton

Yes and no yes so the workers can have a lazy day and no because I work 6 days a week so don’t get chance to go to the shops

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out "

Do you think cafés, cinemas, museums etc should also be shut on a Sunday ?

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out "

Why Sunday though? Why not Wednesday or Thursday?

Or are you applying some special significance to Sunday for religious reasons?

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Sunday was bloody irritating when the shops were shut. I've worked plenty of them over the years and it's a good day to get essentials in

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

No. Many of us have to work long hours and need the flexibility of being able to shop on Sunday's

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

No shops should be able to trade 7 days a week if they wish imo .

Ha I remember when shops often shut on Wednesday. My first little job as a teenager the shop did that

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

No. Many of us have to work long hours and need the flexibility of being able to shop on Sunday's

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It totally depends tbh , shop's are open on a Sunday and people nowadays are in the habit of them being opened , personally l think reduced hours should be brought in but most garages have shops now and most don't close until 9pm so even till that time people can , if they want , shop there ,it a rock and hard place question tbh ,they're open if you want to shop and they're open if you don't want to shop , totally up to yourself.

over a year ago

Tbh, shopping online can be done 24/7 , retail is profit making, so whatever works best for them. We are a materialistic society now so a need for shopping to be versitile every day is the norm nowadays.

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

Should stay open some people only get one day off and that maybe a sunday

over a year ago

I often work 12 hour shifts on a Sunday in manufacturing, can I get them off too? Cheers. To me, and many others, a Suunday is no different to the other 6 days of the week.

over a year ago

"Should stay open some people only get one day off and that maybe a sunday"

Except the retail staff.

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

They should be open all day!

By *achel SmythTV/TS
over a year ago

Farnborough

Having worked in retail many years ago, I used to work only Saturdays - before Sunday trading, and it always buggered up my weekends. I genuinely feel for and respect those who work in retail and have to now work all weekend.

If you go to Germany, Sunday trading is forbidden and EVERYTHING closes - even HGVs have to park up. I remember years ago in Germany, shops used to close on Saturday lunchtime so staff got at a day and a half. It at least gives one day in the week where you are guaranteed of spending time with the family, and at leisure.

Personally, we can all find time to do what we need to do in the other 6 days … like we used to!

R x

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

I think Sunday should return to everything except essentials (fuel etc) should be closed to allow everyone a work free (unless they have to) day

We shop on a Sunday because we can, not because we have to

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Not sure, part of me things should be open all the time including eves as will help those who struggle to get to them. However there must also be robust safeguards to protect employee rights and flexible working hours too at the same time. Not easy though I know and probably open to abuse so I rather it stayed as it is if that is the case.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

Sunday trading came about to cater for people whose work pattern demanded better access to shops, I can remember when most shops closed for lunch and also had half day closing on one day of the week.

I don't disagree with it but I have never shopped on a Sunday and doubt that I ever will.

over a year ago

I’m old enough to remember when this used to happen ( in Scotland anyway ) it’s sucked used to hate Sundays as a kid . So it’s a big no for me

over a year ago

No lol

Lots of people work shifts and can only get to shops on Sundays

over a year ago

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out

No lol

Lots of people work shifts and can only get to shops on Sundays "

That's not true though is it.

Most shops are now open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

over a year ago

"I think Sunday should return to everything except essentials (fuel etc) should be closed to allow everyone a work free (unless they have to) day

We shop on a Sunday because we can, not because we have to "

Definitely this.

over a year ago

Great idea, let’s put another nail in the coffin of the high street. Let’s put more money in the Bezos trust fund.

We live in a 24/7 society now. Why would regressing something back to the 80’s do any good?

By *lceeWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

Good god…I want Sunday trading hour restrictions abolished. Can we just treat it like any normal day please? Says the grumpy person waiting for them to open so she can go get her shopping in

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

No. I’d personally have everything open 24/7.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Great idea, let’s put another nail in the coffin of the high street. Let’s put more money in the Bezos trust fund.

We live in a 24/7 society now. Why would regressing something back to the 80’s do any good? "

When people say 'the good old days', it's often something misty eyed from childhood. Life moves on, let's not go back. I don't see anybody rushing to go back to old style pub opening hours

over a year ago

I'm off shopping today so no!!!

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Good god…I want Sunday trading hour restrictions abolished. Can we just treat it like any normal day please? Says the grumpy person waiting for them to open so she can go get her shopping in "

Please say it's something exciting and not just a loaf of hovis x

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

"Who else agrees that it should be closed on a sunday? I never do any shopping on sundays. I think it is a good idea to have one day a week with no trading, imagine how tranquil it would be when going out

No lol

Most shops are now open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. "

What about the people who work 8am to 8pm nurses and care workers do so and I'm sure there are many more doing such shifts

over a year ago

"Good god…I want Sunday trading hour restrictions abolished. Can we just treat it like any normal day please? Says the grumpy person waiting for them to open so she can go get her shopping in "

Me too, I want bacon! Now!

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Why do you want to control the opening times of private business?

Surely it should be their decision

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"Good god…I want Sunday trading hour restrictions abolished. Can we just treat it like any normal day please? "

Agreed. I despise Sunday trading laws. It limits the weekend to one day really. You have to get everything done on Saturday as things can be so limited on the Sunday. If you don't drive and use public transport Sundays are very difficult.

If we want to go out to an attraction it has to be the Saturday as it can be too hard with limited buses and trains to get there and back on a Sunday. Which means no food/clothes shopping on the Saturday so it has to be done on the Sunday.

Plenty of people work shifts and don't have weekends off. If you work in retail you already know you might have to work weekends, it's not a surprise.

over a year ago

No lol

Most shops are now open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

What about the people who work 8am to 8pm nurses and care workers do so and I'm sure there are many more doing such shifts"

What about them? they will still get at least 2 days off a week.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think it would be catastrophic for small, locally owned businesses. So no.

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

I think we should become a 24/7 society there's alway someone who wants to work unsociable hours and as long as they get time off at other times then great

There's an argument for doing away with bank holidays too but maybe that's for a different thread

over a year ago

Irony is of course a country like Poland, which is largely Roman Catholic, don't have this 'Close on a Sunday' issue. The only days the shops actually close is Easter Sunday and Christmas day. Some shops in villages have the odd half day opening during the week.

Most are 6am-10pm (10-10 for shopping centers).

Though I suspect that will change soon enough though. I have a feeling they are heading towards becoming a mini America. (From Personal Observations)

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

It's possibly reasonable to have them open, within limits and for enhanced pay and time off for staff. We have eroded employment conditions in the UK, which puts the balance of power in the hands of employers. This urgently needs addressing.

I don't think we can regress to a closed Sundays, as in the past.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think we should become a 24/7 society there's alway someone who wants to work unsociable hours and as long as they get time off at other times then great

There's an argument for doing away with bank holidays too but maybe that's for a different thread "

I think we should protect those who work in sectors with unsociable hours (who may have little choice) to choose whether they want to work unsociable hours.

The problem with "let them" is that it may well mean, in practice, that it's the employers, not the employees, who decide.

over a year ago

what a load of nonsense

why would you care unless you worked in retail? And if you work in retail - you chose it knowing there would be weekend work... same as healthcare.

Its a totally outdated concept - why a Sunday?

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"I think it would be catastrophic for small, locally owned businesses. So no."

How many small businesses do you know open on a Sunday? Most of those are closed anyway

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think it would be catastrophic for small, locally owned businesses. So no.

How many small businesses do you know open on a Sunday? Most of those are closed anyway"

About half of the independents on my local high street. They often choose to close on Monday or Tuesday when footfall is lower.

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"Irony is of course a country like Poland, which is largely Roman Catholic, don't have this 'Close on a Sunday' issue. The only days the shops actually close is Easter Sunday and Christmas day. Some shops in villages have the odd half day opening during the week.

Most are 6am-10pm (10-10 for shopping centers).

Though I suspect that will change soon enough though. I have a feeling they are heading towards becoming a mini America. (From Personal Observations)"

But we are not in Poland

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

How many small businesses do you know open on a Sunday? Most of those are closed anyway

About half of the independents on my local high street. They often choose to close on Monday or Tuesday when footfall is lower."

Well there you go, it may not be a Sunday but they have a closure day

over a year ago

Staffs

"I think we should become a 24/7 society there's alway someone who wants to work unsociable hours and as long as they get time off at other times then great

There's an argument for doing away with bank holidays too but maybe that's for a different thread

I think we should protect those who work in sectors with unsociable hours (who may have little choice) to choose whether they want to work unsociable hours.

The problem with "let them" is that it may well mean, in practice, that it's the employers, not the employees, who decide."

Absolutely employees need protecting regardless of the day of the week

Other sectors of work ,work 24/7 hospitals ,emergency services ,factories all sorts and there employees are protected by the same laws we all are.

In fact retail is lagging behind the rest of the working sector when it comes to the hours there allowed to operate.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Yes they should as long as lorry drivers, oil refinery workers, factory workers and everyone else who has to work on Sunday in a non emergency capacity don't have to either.

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Yes they should as long as lorry drivers, oil refinery workers, factory workers and everyone else who has to work on Sunday in a non emergency capacity don't have to either. "

Nah, them oil refinery workers get enough time off already

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

About half of the independents on my local high street. They often choose to close on Monday or Tuesday when footfall is lower.

Well there you go, it may not be a Sunday but they have a closure day"

I'm not saying businesses shouldn't have a closure day. I'm saying that it shouldn't be mandated or be a particular day, because of the potential harm to small businesses and the high street.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Yes they should as long as lorry drivers, oil refinery workers, factory workers and everyone else who has to work on Sunday in a non emergency capacity don't have to either.

Nah, them oil refinery workers get enough time off already "

Yeah they are lazy bums, I take that back

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

Society has moved on since the seventies and eighties. Do you even realise that there is a thing called online shopping as well nowadays?

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

I think A&E should be shut on a Sunday to give them a break from a weekend of idiots.

Don't worry, statistically less heart attacks happen on a Sunday. Don't be selfish, jus die and give someone a day off.

By *ob rodMan
over a year ago

lancaster

Working 6 days it’s the only chance to go to the shops

Also a lot of people actually want to work Sundays due to child care when the partner at home saving them a fortune

over a year ago

"I think A&E should be shut on a Sunday to give them a break from a weekend of idiots.

Don't worry, statistically less heart attacks happen on a Sunday. Don't be selfish, jus die and give someone a day off. "

That's completely different.

We need certain services to be open 24/7. We don't need shoos to open more hours.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

I'm another no. In fact I would remove Sunday hours. So few people are Christian these days.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I'm another no. In fact I would remove Sunday hours. So few people are Christian these days."

Yes. If you want to go to church and not shop, no one is stopping you.

over a year ago

In France most shops and businesses are closed on Sundays, although some open for a couple of hours.

Many that open half day on Saturday close all day Monday too.

It’s lovely to have Sunday as a family day, less traffic also. You quickly adjust to it and I’m in favour of it.

In the U.K. we’ve gone to a 24/7 mentality- we all need to consume less and chill out more.

By *yronMan
over a year ago

grangemouth

"Sunday was bloody irritating when the shops were shut. I've worked plenty of them over the years and it's a good day to get essentials in "

I remember having the mother of all headaches and trying in vain to find a shop open, so I could buy some aspirin.

Eventually, my brother drove me to motorway service station to buy some.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

It's quite straightforward to make Sunday a shop free day. Don't go shopping.

If you want one day a week with no commercial activity, make it so

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

No. A lot of jobs are 7 days a week now. They should be open.

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

No, it wouldn't effect me either way, I'm a bastard's son of the Amazon god. Let the high street die with over priced parking and wall to wall coffee chains and pound shop and let my underpaid delivery driver work as I sit in my garden. Enjoying a peaceful Sunday.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm not saying businesses shouldn't have a closure day. I'm saying that it shouldn't be mandated or be a particular day, because of the potential harm to small businesses and the high street."

Less working hours (an entire day) potentially means less jobs or lower income for people.

Less people needed to fill a shorter shift schedule.

That is another issue itself in terms of employment as a whole. Mandatory closing of shops on a Sunday just adds to that.

Sunday is sometimes the only day some people find a chance to actually go out shopping. Their work week is filled with work, their Saturday is family day or other responsibilities.

over a year ago

Staffs

Look at the rest of the world

Some countries are completely closed on a Sunday but quite a few are fully open

It seems crazy that we have a law based on religion that stops us operating like any other day

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

No, there's plenty of non-Christian shopkeepers who like to open on Sundays, and people who want to work on Sundays.

I do think working on a weekend shouldn't be mandatory and should be paid extra, as it disrupts family life.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I'm not saying businesses shouldn't have a closure day. I'm saying that it shouldn't be mandated or be a particular day, because of the potential harm to small businesses and the high street.

Less working hours (an entire day) potentially means less jobs or lower income for people.

Less people needed to fill a shorter shift schedule.

That is another issue itself in terms of employment as a whole. Mandatory closing of shops on a Sunday just adds to that.

Sunday is sometimes the only day some people find a chance to actually go out shopping. Their work week is filled with work, their Saturday is family day or other responsibilities."

Absolutely.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Once bezos rolls out, they'll only need to be a couple of staff in the shops anyway.

By *uckOfTheBayMan
over a year ago

Mold

What was worse was when pubs were shut on Sunday's in Wales

over a year ago

Not good for the economy and it needs as much stimulus and opportunity to expand… but then again… given most high streets are getting a pasting - a lot has moved online

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

Remember the time when if you went away for the weekend you had to make sure you had enough fuel to get home before Sunday as there wasn't many garages open?

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Yes like the good old days and half day Wednesdays x

over a year ago

"Yes like the good old days and half day Wednesdays x"

The small independent shops in my local town, all shut half day on a Wednesday.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Yes like the good old days and half day Wednesdays x

The small independent shops in my local town, all shut half day on a Wednesday. "

Ours used to b not for donkeys years now though x

over a year ago

No way. It's bad enough that they're only open for 6 hours.

I also wish shops in retail parks and shopping centres stayed open later during the week.

over a year ago

No it should be like any other day.

People rely on working weekends especially with childcare rates so expensive, also those that work through the week have the option to shop on a weekend.

over a year ago

No lol

Most shops are now open from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. "

Not true? Do you know every single person's working hours in the whole world?

I work 12 and a half hour shifts from 7am until 7.30pm so when exactly do you presume that I go and do my food shopping?

During my lunch break which is only half and hour or during the half an hour before the shops close at 8pm?

That's granted that I'm actually working a day shift.

When I'm on nights I work the same hours only pm until am and during the same I need to sleep

So yes more often than not Sunday is the only day that I can get to do my food shopping.

over a year ago

No i need a fucking chemist

By *uffnmuffCouple
over a year ago

London

Shops should be open longer on a Sunday.

over a year ago

"Having worked in retail many years ago, I used to work only Saturdays - before Sunday trading, and it always buggered up my weekends. I genuinely feel for and respect those who work in retail and have to now work all weekend.

If you go to Germany, Sunday trading is forbidden and EVERYTHING closes - even HGVs have to park up. I remember years ago in Germany, shops used to close on Saturday lunchtime so staff got at a day and a half. It at least gives one day in the week where you are guaranteed of spending time with the family, and at leisure.

Personally, we can all find time to do what we need to do in the other 6 days … like we used to!

R x"

German productivity is higher per hour than UK, so they can afford to sustain the traditional “day of rest”. Brits unfortunately need to work longer just to keep up so the extra day of trading seems necessary.

If you don’t want the experience however it is simple to not go to the shops however.

over a year ago

The problem with "let them" is that it may well mean, in practice, that it's the employers, not the employees, who decide."

Of course once one commits to the vocation of retail employment - much like a monk, it is a commitment for life - with no option to change should the pressures brought by their employers not be compatible with their lifestyle choices?

Or have I misunderstood something?

over a year ago

"I think A&E should be shut on a Sunday to give them a break from a weekend of idiots.

Don't worry, statistically less heart attacks happen on a Sunday. Don't be selfish, jus die and give someone a day off. "

If they also shut the pubs on a Saturday night that would probably work.

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

With continental and split shifts Sunday is becoming just another normal working day for a lot of people.

over a year ago

I remember shops closed on Sundays and half day on Thursdays

By *coobyBoobyDooWoman
over a year ago

Markfield

I’m a shift worker so I’d prefer shops to keep trading on a Sunday and would actually prefer that they had the same opening hours as the rest of the week. Thanks. Let me know if it gets sorted

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"I’m a shift worker so I’d prefer shops to keep trading on a Sunday and would actually prefer that they had the same opening hours as the rest of the week. Thanks. Let me know if it gets sorted "

I’ll have a word..

over a year ago

Nobody should work on a Sunday, we should all be at church straightening our halo

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

No they should not be closed. Everyone works differently. I work Mon till sat and sometimes Sunday as well. I have very little time to visit. They should be open every day.

By *illybeachboyMan
over a year ago

Guernsey

No we've moved on since the days when shops closed on Sundays, people who work all week need weekends to shop.

over a year ago

I remember as a kid just about everything being shut on a Sunday and sadly churches never sold plain bread or milk so don't think it would be practical today. I also remember Glasgow operating a half day closing on Tuesday while here in Lanarkshire, it was a half day Wednesday, seems strange now.

over a year ago

Absolutely yes because everyone deserves time of work to spend with family and friends.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

I'm puzzled by your post OP. You seem to be suggesting that because you don't do on Sunday and like a day of relaxing, ships should be closed for everyone else?

Should seems a strange word to choose, it implies an objective reality rather than the personal preference you describe.

Mr

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Shops should not be shut on Sundays.

The world does not revolve around individuals or religions.... Sunday opening gives workers a chance to shop and boring people something to do at the weekend.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Absolutely yes because everyone deserves time of work to spend with family and friends."

Like Nurses

Garden Centre Workers

Waiters

Emergency Services

Police

McDonalds

Cinemas

Shut the bloody lot then if people deserve a break.

Lose the revenue and increase poverty ......

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Oh .....and have no where to go at weekends

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Yes, they should. Unless I need things, then they need to be open ??

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I remember as a kid just about everything being shut on a Sunday and sadly churches never sold plain bread or milk so don't think it would be practical today. I also remember Glasgow operating a half day closing on Tuesday while here in Lanarkshire, it was a half day Wednesday, seems strange now."

That was my childhood too ....... 5 and a half days shopping. No such thing as late nights or 24/7...... shocking for shift workers who would finish a weeks night shift and then do the shop

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Yes, they should. Unless I need things, then they need to be open ??"

Good thinking....... Nipple Tassles ?

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Sometimes a Sunday is my only day off. It would make my life very difficult.

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

"Absolutely yes because everyone deserves time of work to spend with family and friends."

They do usually get other days off in lieu of a weekend off you know......

over a year ago

"Yes, they should. Unless I need things, then they need to be open ??"

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Absolutely not.

Reduced opening hours is bad enough. There's absolutely no readon not to have the same opening hours every day of the week.

Some people work long hours six days a week or strange patterns like 4 on and 4 off.

Also Shag... why only shops? If you want tranquility, surely everything should close? Which is clearly not an option...

over a year ago

Here we have the typical problem with today's society over many subjects. One person thinks something should happen and looks for sheep followers and before we know it we have more stupid rules and regs that we all have to suffer from. OP what's wrong with you not shopping on Sundays or whatever day you choose and if you want tranquility jump in your car or a bus or a train and go somewhere quiet like the countryside and create your own tranquil space. Job done and everyone happy , most of all you OP. I bet you use the term CIS women don't you.

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

--You'd have to close the internet or the High Street wouldn't stand a chance.

By *ucka39Man
over a year ago

Newcastle

Nope nope and nope

Sometimes people run short on items,then again it might be the only day that they're able to do any shopping.could be urgent repair work needing materials

over a year ago

I don’t actually remember when I last went to a shop. It was pre covid, for certain.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

No, too many people work a variety of shift patterns. And weekend work suits some people, not all of them though.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

Or are you applying some special significance to Sunday for religious reasons?"

Yes. I guess that, as I am thinking as it is a religious day and how it used to be back in the days as well

By *..FirstMan
over a year ago

london

I think the Jewish guys have got it right by banning electronics on their sabbath day… i love to see anyone younger than 40 not having clue what to do.

Closing shops is a good idea too.

over a year ago

They should definitely close singers clubs on a Sunday. All those perverts fornicating on the day of rest; that’s the real sin right there. A lot more of a threat to society than some factory worker buying milk after a nigh shift or a rambler stocking up in Millets!

And as someone else said if the pound shops of Liverpool had to close then world poverty would spiral out of control!

By *echnosonic_BrummieMan
over a year ago

Willenhall

"They should definitely close singers clubs on a Sunday. "

Absolutely. Singing should only be done in a church on a Sunday.

Kumbaya My Lord, Kumbaya...

over a year ago

"They should definitely close singers clubs on a Sunday.

Absolutely. Singing should only be done in a church on a Sunday.

Kumbaya My Lord, Kumbaya..."

*swingers

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Or are you applying some special significance to Sunday for religious reasons?Yes. I guess that, as I am thinking as it is a religious day and how it used to be back in the days as well "

Early closing on weds too.

over a year ago

tell that to the doctors an nurses that work shifts........what if you had broken your arm on a Sunday to find out the A&E was shut on a Sunday...how tranquil it would be

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"No shops should be able to trade 7 days a week if they wish imo .

Ha I remember when shops often shut on Wednesday. My first little job as a teenager the shop did that "

Half day closing... There are quite a few shops in my neck of the woods that still do that!

over a year ago

Closed on Sunday, 4 days work then skynet comes out. Popcorn doesn’t grow on trees and I need my corn

over a year ago

Everything here shut on a Sunday except the churches and the pubs. Saints and sinners.

By *etwifeandhim69Couple
over a year ago

Darlington

No.

I remember when shops where not open on a Sunday and the amount of jobs it created when they where. How many jobs would be lost if they closed again?

You also need to remember not everyone works Monday to Friday or even day shift. We need to be going forward, not back.

over a year ago

"Everything here shut on a Sunday except the churches and the pubs. Saints and sinners."

This gives me white pointy hood vibes

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

No, Sunday trading laws are archaic and not needed in modern society due to changes in the way we live.

C

over a year ago

Some people only get to the shops on a Sunday because of work commitments. Life is too hectic, so demands 24 hour opening in some shops.

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Personally, I think that shops should be allowed to open whenever they want, there should be no restrictions... especially for religious reasons.

If a business is owned by a person who is religious they are able to close for their own religious holidays & holy days.

The idea that shop staff don't get any time off is just silly, shops staff their opening hours on shifts with many workers... not just the same handful of people working 24/7

Cal

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

This past week I've worked every day except Sunday - including 12 his on Sat. Sunday we did the weekly shop (her ladyship is recovering from her op so can't drive or lift stuff). I then fitted a set of reverse sensors to my step daughters car that she's been nagging me to do for ages - this meant a quick trip to Halfords.

This has made me think. Without Sunday opening, I would have had a peaceful day and some rest. But it would only have put chores off to another time that I just don't have atm. Maybe the solution is to work less hours.

Mr

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Yep... 7 by 24 hour shopping isn't necessary. Convenience for some over quality of life.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Shops should be closed on Easter Sunday

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"Shops should be closed on Easter Sunday"

Why that Sunday specifically?

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"It's quite straightforward to make Sunday a shop free day. Don't go shopping.

If you want one day a week with no commercial activity, make it so "

That is right and that is one way to do it, which I do as well

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

"Shops should be closed on Easter Sunday

Why that Sunday specifically?"

Same reason as Christmas Day

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Same reason as Christmas Day"

Which is ?

By *ocusMan
over a year ago

Cambridge

No, shops should not be closed on Sunday.

They should close on Wednesday, which would be a day off for everyone.

By *partharmonyCouple
over a year ago

Ruislip

I don't see any reason why they should be closed on a Sunday. In most jobs people work from Monday to Friday, and many work on Saturday too. By closing on Sundays you would be limiting or denying a huge proportion of the population the opportunity to go to the shops on their days off.

If anything, shops should close one day midweek instead of Sunday, or even open later and stay open into the evening. Shops should be open at times people want to use them.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Which is ?"

It's a very significant and symbolic day/time of the year

over a year ago

"No. This is 2022 and shops should be open."

This. The days of closing for religious reasons are over. And so is organised religion for the most part. Good job too.

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I wasn't sure about Sunday trading at first... but that was before the internet.

The internet kills idea idea stone dead unfortunately - the High St is struggling as it is.

If you could switch off the bloody internet however??

For a whole day!!

And maybe make Sunday 'High Street Day'?

Now that's an idea! --

over a year ago

"I don't see any reason why they should be closed on a Sunday. In most jobs people work from Monday to Friday, and many work on Saturday too. By closing on Sundays you would be limiting or denying a huge proportion of the population the opportunity to go to the shops on their days off.

If anything, shops should close one day midweek instead of Sunday, or even open later and stay open into the evening. Shops should be open at times people want to use them. "

I'm all for this. Also get rid of Sunday trading restrictions.

Let shops open when they like as long as there is reasonable legislation in place around what they do with existing staffing hours and their ability to change and enforce change.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Which is ?

It's a very significant and symbolic day/time of the year"

For who, and why should they have priority in our economy?

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I wasn't sure about Sunday trading at first... but that was before the internet.

The internet kills idea idea stone dead unfortunately - the High St is struggling as it is.

If you could switch off the bloody internet however??

For a whole day!!

And maybe make Sunday 'High Street Day'?

Now that's an idea! --

"

Yes it's sad to see so many high streets gone to pot as it is. I do shop online but only when I can't pop into shops or something I can't find in them. I certainly try to do that with the very local to me and from what I can see many people do or at least I hope so.

By *uenevereWoman
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Which is ?

It's a very significant and symbolic day/time of the year"

Very few people celebrate the Christian element of these holidays, and I see no reason why one religion should dictate the lives of the many thousands who don't follow that faith.

By *ersiantugMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I'm not religious but I've glad we've got those specific days (the late December solstice and Easter have pagan routes anyway - they were always holidays). If they weren't there they'd have to be replaced anyway.

As it is, people are made to work far too many hours for they holidays they actually get, shop staff especially.

The hours per week:holiday ratio in the UK is appalling. It's a low pay sector too.

A lot of people just expect everything to happen for them when they want it. It's an age of instant gratification for sure.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 11/04/22 14:14:21]

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

It's interesting to see how some people are quick to say get rid of a country's traditions but then we all love seeing all the traditions of other counties, the Spanish fiestas (many with religious routes), Greek Easter, German Xmas market, Chinese New Year, Divali and Ramadan Celebrations. It's that diversity that makes life colourful and interesting. I would not want Greece to stop celebrating their Easter just because its not for me if I lived there, or India to give me an extra holiday because I don't celebrate Diwali. Its about preserving a country's traditions but also respecting and celebrating cultural diversity at the same time. Having said that and to bring it back to the subject, as someone said already as long they are laws to protect worker's rights, most people want the flexibility to be able to do their shopping throughout the full week and at different times of the day including eves and weekends and I rather that is not just online and kill our high streets.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

Which is ?

Very few people celebrate the Christian element of these holidays, and I see no reason why one religion should dictate the lives of the many thousands who don't follow that faith."

So does that mean the end of the long Easter bank holiday and Christmas Day and Boxing Day bank holidays too if, as people are saying, many don't follow Christian faith and religion should not dictate?

over a year ago

It's 2022, let's act like a grown up nation and not some kow towing to outdated religious mumbo jumbo believing backward nation.

Sunday is just another day.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

Which is ?

Very few people celebrate the Christian element of these holidays, and I see no reason why one religion should dictate the lives of the many thousands who don't follow that faith.

So does that mean the end of the long Easter bank holiday and Christmas Day and Boxing Day bank holidays too if, as people are saying, many don't follow Christian faith and religion should not dictate?"

The UK already has the lowest number of public holidays. Days which people are now still expected to work as normal. So sure.. Remove the last vestiges of tradition and public holidays. Its not like we are a happy well paid well trained work force. Work work work that's the answer.

By *ad66Couple
over a year ago

Manchester

"No. Many of us have to work long hours and need the flexibility of being able to shop on Sunday's "

Exactly

Also, (personally) Sundays seem to be the most miserable day of the week cos its back to the grind tomorrow & after 4pm most places are shut. Just a depressing day for me.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Which is ?

So does that mean the end of the long Easter bank holiday and Christmas Day and Boxing Day bank holidays too if, as people are saying, many don't follow Christian faith and religion should not dictate?"

While I agree to a certain degree, there is a big difference between internationally recognised holidays which in some cases are more than just Christian related (most of which were Pagen before Christianity hijacked them anyway) that happen generally once a year and a day that happens every week that would cause havoc with people's lives and routines, both socially and economical.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"Why do you want to control the opening times of private business?

Surely it should be their decision"

I dont and yes it should. I guess that it is a more religious idea behind it and how it was back in the days.

over a year ago

That's how it used to be in the 80s and then boom

over a year ago

No.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

We're a highly industrialised and mechanised 24x7x365 society.

If the demand for all hours shopping and services is there, astute retailers will adapt accordingly.

over a year ago

"We're a highly industrialised and mechanised 24x7x365 society.

If the demand for all hours shopping and services is there, astute retailers will adapt accordingly."

Except they won't be allowed to adapt because the god botherers will bang on about thier day of rest bullshit.

over a year ago

No, shopping is now a recreational activity. Shops need to be open when most have their leisure time.

The worst would be to increase the amount of online shopping, forcing shops to close.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"We're a highly industrialised and mechanised 24x7x365 society.

If the demand for all hours shopping and services is there, astute retailers will adapt accordingly.

Except they won't be allowed to adapt because the god botherers will bang on about thier day of rest bullshit. "

But most shops are open on Sunday and loads of supermarkets are 24/7

over a year ago

The question should be should people be forced to work on Sunday, not whether they should be allowed to. As long as people who have the Sunday shift (or Saturday for that matter) are doing it through choice, and not because Billy Tesco is wielding the big stick, I'm happy for them to be open. Plenty of people work weekends, would it be fair for a cafe or pub worker or other hospitality type worker to have to work, but we feel that's not acceptable for retail?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"The question should be should people be forced to work on Sunday, not whether they should be allowed to. As long as people who have the Sunday shift (or Saturday for that matter) are doing it through choice, and not because Billy Tesco is wielding the big stick, I'm happy for them to be open. Plenty of people work weekends, would it be fair for a cafe or pub worker or other hospitality type worker to have to work, but we feel that's not acceptable for retail?"

Not to mention anyone who works in a hospital or as a paramedic. They literally have a 24/7/365 rota. The only area of health care lagging behind on that is gp surgeries and dentists.

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

"

Except they won't be allowed to adapt because the god botherers will bang on about thier(sp) day of rest bullshit. "

Well, if they are that bothered, they can stay at home and practice what they preach. I respect their choice to remain at home if they wish.

Those who are not of the same mindset can shop and use services too.

What I cannot respect is when the ones who wish to stay at home try to enforce their faith-based ideals on others who are agnostic, atheist, humanist, or of a different faith with no such restrictions.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"The question should be should people be forced to work on Sunday, not whether they should be allowed to. As long as people who have the Sunday shift (or Saturday for that matter) are doing it through choice, and not because Billy Tesco is wielding the big stick, I'm happy for them to be open. Plenty of people work weekends, would it be fair for a cafe or pub worker or other hospitality type worker to have to work, but we feel that's not acceptable for retail?"

We do have to recognise that in some sectors, "choice" isn't as free as it might otherwise be. Someone goes into a sector like medicine (speaking to those who require tertiary education) knowing it may entail unsociable hours. That's a choice they make with other choices available to them.

Those in retail and hospitality might not have the opportunity to make that free choice, and so "choice" to work on Sunday might be between job or no job - which is not the most free of choices.

I think there's three issues here. One is the rights of workers. One is accessibility of retail for those with unusual shift cycles. The other is to what extent our economy caters to Christianity (rather than other religions or no religion).

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"

Except they won't be allowed to adapt because the god botherers will bang on about thier(sp) day of rest bullshit.

Well, if they are that bothered, they can stay at home and practice what they preach. I respect their choice to remain at home if they wish.

Those who are not of the same mindset can shop and use services too.

What I cannot respect is when the ones who wish to stay at home try to enforce their faith-based ideals on others who are agnostic, atheist, humanist, or of a different faith with no such restrictions."

I think the religion and / or particular religion is being over egged here. Surely the idea of having a ruhe tag... A quiet day, to rest, recharge, socialise can exist without having to get spiteful about people's beliefs can't it ? Quality of life gets lost in the Convenience of life... They aren't the same things.

By *1bttmMan
over a year ago

Shoreditch east London

Depends some people might actually like working weekends/Sundays because it suits their lifestyle. Couples with kids, it might be the only time that 1 parent can work whilst the other does the child minding. Don't Sunday workers also get a higher rates of pay for unsociable hours? Just 'coz it doesn't suit yr needs OP u gotta remember it actually might be the best option for others.

Post new Message to Thread