Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Stringing a sentence together ...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Is it just me or am I the only one that is put off a profile that is barely legible or coherent?

I'm not snobby or anything like that but I'd like to think that your potential meet can hold a fun, lively conversation and is reasonably intelligent. Am I too judgemental ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Bad spelling and no punctuation really bugs me, or even if there are only 5 words on their profile....that tells me nothing grrr lol

over a year ago

No, you're not the only one. I don't think it's judgmental either. I wouldn't be comfortable with someone with whom I couldn't communicate, and they probably wouldn't feel relaxed with me either.

If someone can't write a coherent profile, it will suggest to me they were unable to, which would put me off.

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I expect to be able to converse with someone on a pretty good level. I don't expect them to be professors, but some intelligence does not go amiss.

over a year ago

"Is it just me or am I the only one that is put off a profile that is barely legible or coherent?

I'm not snobby or anything like that but I'd like to think that your potential meet can hold a fun, lively conversation and is reasonably intelligent. Am I too judgemental ?"

Nah

It's all about putting the effort in, for me, if you can't string a sentence together, or put some thought in to what you're trying to say....

Then you're probably not the person for me.

But then I'm an old fuddy duddy

By *andCCouple
over a year ago

Leicester

I don't think you're really being judgemental; it's just another way of assessing a potential meet, along with the _iewing of pics etc. However, I wouldn't like to make the mistake of assuming someone to be unintelligent, just because the profile text is barely legible ...dyslexia can cause real problems for some.

To be honest, I'm more put off by the confrontational attitude shown in some profiles ; accusations of timewasting, threats to delete the profile if the reader doesn't capitulate etc.

By *ethany10Couple
over a year ago

falkirk

"Is it just me or am I the only one that is put off a profile that is barely legible or coherent?

I'm not snobby or anything like that but I'd like to think that your potential meet can hold a fun, lively conversation and is reasonably intelligent. Am I too judgemental ?"

No spot on

Steve

By *eneral HysteriaMan
over a year ago

Newcastle

By *ustme66Woman
over a year ago

tameside

[Removed by poster at 25/10/12 23:25:47]

By *ustme66Woman
over a year ago

tameside

nope annoys me too .... and just as much when i get a completely incomprehensible message .... there are such things as spell checkers if you're crap at spelling, or even if you find sentence construction difficult, word can help fix that ..... i think it shows a lack of effort.

if someone is dyslexic, then i can make some allowances (if they mention it, it's not a big deal) .... but if i was dyslexic and having trouble with messages/profile, i would ask for some help.

over a year ago

far too many english teachers on this site

over a year ago

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I figure it shows a bit of effort.

(Scampers off and double checks spelling on profile)

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Don't really bother me to be honest. A few spelling mistakes wouldn't bother me

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

When I meet a guy it's with a _iew to have him fuck me if I fancy him, I'm not looking to have him write down my life story, or do my accounts......so no, a poorly spelt profile wouldn't stop me from meeting someone I liked the look of.

over a year ago

Nope, I totally agree with you on that one.

It shows a complete lack of effort/thought and it definitely makes the person sound a little stupid ... which puts me off.

I can understand the odd typo, but some are just beyond the joke. It's almost as though a number of people have the vocab. of a 5 year old.

It's not hard to get to grips with the likes of: They're/their/there and your/you're etc.

over a year ago

Not at all. The phrase 'opposites attract' doesn't hold true for me as I find it uncomfortable not being able to converse with someone if we are not at the same level. Some would argue that if I am intelligent I should be able to compensate for someone who isn't and hold a conversation with that person, which I can so long as that is all it is ever going to be - a conversation, forgotten moments after it ends. If someone is clearly not as educated as myself then I find we have nothing in common, and that in itself lessens the attraction for me.

By *ustme66Woman
over a year ago

tameside

"far too many english teachers on this site"

not a case of english teachers .... i had 3 messages from the same bloke last night, and there were no actual words .... just letters that got very jumbledd .. in other words, i had to ask him to translate

over a year ago

"far too many english teachers on this site

not a case of english teachers .... i had 3 messages from the same bloke last night, and there were no actual words .... just letters that got very jumbledd .. in other words, i had to ask him to translate "

I'm surprised you bothered to ask him to translate. I'd have just deleted the messages.

over a year ago

"I expect to be able to converse with someone on a pretty good level. I don't expect them to be professors, but some intelligence does not go amiss."
As a professor of the most inane subject does that rule me out of asking you to dinner?

By *ingleguy1973Man
over a year ago

peterborough

i h8 it whn peepl carnt spel proper or uze bad english wiv no ful stops or big letterz an i reely h8 txt spk

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

It's not just about poor spelling. Even dyslexics can put an intelligent message together. But some profiles and messages are strings of words which seem to have no relation to one another. Writing down lots of English words does not mean you are writing in English!!

over a year ago

Looking at all your responses, Ladies, has produced a smug grin..

Now, when I point out to a chap who has posted in the 'Help me I ain't gettin a shag innit' section of the forums, that he really does need to pay attention to his spelling, grammar, punctuation et al, I am usually castigated for being - at best - a boring old pedant who farts a lot.

I am now sipping a nice cup of tea, secure in the knowledge that I am, in the main, right.

Oh, how one loves to be a smart arse

Pork

over a year ago

"i h8 it whn peepl carnt spel proper or uze bad english wiv no ful stops or big letterz an i reely h8 txt spk "
Absolutely, old chap

over a year ago

"Bad spelling and no punctuation really bugs me, or even if there are only 5 words on their profile....that tells me nothing grrr lol"

i think i'm in in love

over a year ago

"But some profiles and messages are strings of words which seem to have no relation to one another."

like a post match steven gerrard intr_iew.

By *picenicelyCouple
over a year ago

third star on the right

"When I meet a guy it's with a _iew to have him fuck me if I fancy him, I'm not looking to have him write down my life story, or do my accounts......so no, a poorly spelt profile wouldn't stop me from meeting someone I liked the look of."

We are more interested in the content of the messages/conversation than the spelling/presentation.

over a year ago

It's not so much the spelling, as some people are using Iphones and similar with predictive (or indeed predoctiveis) spelling, so, the odd thing creeps through. However, yesterday there was someone in the chat room who was beautiful, so glanced at their profile and couldn't actually understand it, so that will put me off completely I'm afraid.

On another note, I once received a job application for someone to do an administrative role and their first line on covering letter was "Hi M8"

By *nvictusMan
over a year ago

Beeston

It depends on how bad it is. The odd spelling mistake or grammatical slip doesn't bother me. Text speak is a no-no as I really can't be arsed translating it beyond a few 'lols'.

There was a rant on here the other day that was barely coherent. I made the effort to try and understand it all and gave up in the end.

over a year ago

over a year ago

I'm not snobby or anything like that but I'd like to think that your potential meet can hold a fun, lively conversation and is reasonably intelligent. Am I too judgemental ?

Not at all. The phrase 'opposites attract' doesn't hold true for me as I find it uncomfortable not being able to converse with someone if we are not at the same level. Some would argue that if I am intelligent I should be able to compensate for someone who isn't and hold a conversation with that person, which I can so long as that is all it is ever going to be - a conversation, forgotten moments after it ends. If someone is clearly not as educated as myself then I find we have nothing in common, and that in itself lessens the attraction for me."

next you will have IQ requirement, i'm fine with spelling etc.. (not perfect), but my husband really struggles with any written english and hes the smartest man i know! great with maths, history, science so not being able to spell is not a reflection on intelligence

over a year ago

Not at all. The phrase 'opposites attract' doesn't hold true for me as I find it uncomfortable not being able to converse with someone if we are not at the same level. Some would argue that if I am intelligent I should be able to compensate for someone who isn't and hold a conversation with that person, which I can so long as that is all it is ever going to be - a conversation, forgotten moments after it ends. If someone is clearly not as educated as myself then I find we have nothing in common, and that in itself lessens the attraction for me.

next you will have IQ requirement, i'm fine with spelling etc.. (not perfect), but my husband really struggles with any written english and hes the smartest man i know! great with maths, history, science so not being able to spell is not a reflection on intelligence "

Read the OP again. He said messages that were barely legible or coherent. That's hardly the same as a few spelling mistakes.

But thanks for the idea. An IQ test for potential playmates sounds like a good idea. I wonder if Admin do the coding for it!

By *lackCherryCouple
over a year ago

Bristol

I think there are a few levels of acceptability.

Few typos, grammar issues or spelling ? everyone's human.

Profile looks like it was written by rubbing their face up and down the keyboard ? time to move on

over a year ago

"It's not so much the spelling, as some people are using Iphones and similar with predictive (or indeed predoctiveis) spelling, so, the odd thing creeps through. However, yesterday there was someone in the chat room who was beautiful, so glanced at their profile and couldn't actually understand it, so that will put me off completely I'm afraid.

On another note, I once received a job application for someone to do an administrative role and their first line on covering letter was "Hi M8" "

Hi m8!! Ha! Oh wow I love that. Did you give him a job?

I'll admit I'm pretty uptight about spelling etc, it does grind with me when people get your/ you're, their/ there/ they're etc mixed up. However I don't let it put me off. I look at the whole picture. If they are funny, interesting, respectful that's all I ask. Predictive text and just general typing on phones is a pain so I understand that and it's ok.

If they are pushy, ignorant, rude, or the whole mail is txt spk or incoherent then I'm not interested.

over a year ago

"

Profile looks like it was written by rubbing their face up and down the keyboard ? time to move on

"

Brilliant or should I say :LKNf;eoifp;OI IJo

over a year ago

"Don't really bother me to be honest. A few spelling mistakes wouldn't bother me"

Good thing too since you have incorrectly used 'don't' when it should be 'doesn't'.

By *ustme66Woman
over a year ago

tameside

not a case of english teachers .... i had 3 messages from the same bloke last night, and there were no actual words .... just letters that got very jumbledd .. in other words, i had to ask him to translate

I'm surprised you bothered to ask him to translate. I'd have just deleted the messages."

he was cute and had a huge cock

over a year ago

"far too many english teachers on this site"

Actually I'm not ....

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

"

"

Love it!!

over a year ago

"When I meet a guy it's with a _iew to have him fuck me if I fancy him, I'm not looking to have him write down my life story, or do my accounts......so no, a poorly spelt profile wouldn't stop me from meeting someone I liked the look of.

We are more interested in the content of the messages/conversation than the spelling/presentation. "

But what if you can't really understand what the heck they are trying to say??

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

It's not a problem I have personally come across during my membership of the site

By *innamon!Woman
over a year ago

no matter

No it puts me off too. Have to be able to converse in text as well as in person. I need humour too.

Cant abide bad spelling (not just the odd word ) I understand dyslexia and can read that.

You can tell by a profile if you would like someone I find.

over a year ago

I'm surprised you bothered to ask him to translate. I'd have just deleted the messages.

he was cute and had a huge cock "

Good job I can hold a decent convo then. {GULPS}

over a year ago

Not at all. The phrase 'opposites attract' doesn't hold true for me as I find it uncomfortable not being able to converse with someone if we are not at the same level. Some would argue that if I am intelligent I should be able to compensate for someone who isn't and hold a conversation with that person, which I can so long as that is all it is ever going to be - a conversation, forgotten moments after it ends. If someone is clearly not as educated as myself then I find we have nothing in common, and that in itself lessens the attraction for me."

I now understand why you were a bit confused with my fishie on a dishie comment - it was a bit personal to me x I just presumed everyone watched When the boat comes in on telly way back

By *ustme66Woman
over a year ago

tameside

Good job I can hold a decent convo then. {GULPS} "

well i did make the effort lol ... alas all Mr huge cocks brains .... were actually in his penis (apologies to anyone on the site actually called Mr. huge cock . xx

By *ustme66Woman
over a year ago

tameside

Good job I can hold a decent convo then. {GULPS}

well i did make the effort lol ... alas all Mr huge cocks brains .... were actually in his penis (apologies to anyone on the site actually called Mr. huge cock . xx "

and ps. if that is your name and it's true .... and you can hold a conversation and type proper .... can i have your number please

Post new Message to Thread