Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

PPI Claims

Jump to newest

By *uckscouple2007 OP   Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

Tv and Radio is full of ad's, no doubt many of us get texts & emails from reclaim companies - and yes their main selling point "banks have set aside many many millions in liability provisions" is true ..

But wonder if anyone here has had a successful claim?

Only ask as found original paperwork in a clear out so tempted to look further into it - but with so many firms out there not sure who is good so any feedback from ACTUAL experience would be most welcome

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

go on the martin lewis website and do it yourself, that way you keep all your dosh.

its very simple, just a couple of letters. loads of my friends have done it

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

use a template letter from Martin Lewis website as a guide

and call the bank direct and ask for their advice line.

Do it yourself as 25% is a lot to cover them doing the exact same of your behalf

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"go on the martin lewis website and do it yourself, that way you keep all your dosh.

its very simple, just a couple of letters. loads of my friends have done it"

snap

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"go on the martin lewis website and do it yourself, that way you keep all your dosh.

its very simple, just a couple of letters. loads of my friends have done it"

this.... I know people who have done it...

don't give it to people who do five minutes of work, keep all the money that is owed to you!!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

yup had a successful claim. i called up my bank told them my intentions and they happily sent me out all the details. took about 3 weeks start to finish.

dealt with them directly not a PPI company

over a year ago

Working in the industry (banking) I would suggest you try and claim yourself with a good chance of a return.

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 25/10/12 21:44:46]

over a year ago

Bucks

Yes, really should use the MSE Website a lot more than we do.. It always has great advise and of course often has suggestions on amazing deals

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

and they pay back to your credit card as it is refunded to source and then settled. If on a credit card with debit balance, they then send a cheque as you are under no obligation to settle the card ( unless in arrears )

By *ssexguy69Man
over a year ago

thurrock Essex

my freind as done a few claimes ,and she had a good few quid back out of it ,

over a year ago

Recently had a successful claim against my bank after they offered to look into it for me. Suffice to say I received a rather tidy sum

If you're thinking of putting in a claim yourself though, I'd reconsider going through a firm. Apparently they are no more empowered than you to get the investigation underway.

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

Yep.. I've had refunds from 4 banks / credit cards so far. Still in process with others.

Had just over 7k back so far.

Definitely worth doing (particularly if you have paperwork). Just be sure the loan / credit card etc was active within the last 6 years (even if that's only been the last payment etc)

Don't use any of those companies who offer to deal with it for you though, they'll take a big chunk of whatever you get back.

Look on the money saving expert site and you'll find the template letters for each stage there.. That's where I got everything I needed.

over a year ago

Bucks

Seems this Weekends activity now sorted, thanks for the suggestions above.. DIY it'll now be lol

over a year ago

Is there any way to find out if you had it if you don't have the paperwork? I've never knowingly signed up for it, but from what I understand that doesn't mean I never had it

over a year ago

Interesting, I had a letter recently from a bank I had a loan from some years ago telling they'd sold me ppi without my consent, methinks I'll give this a go

over a year ago

My old man got back 12k

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

Genuine PPI claims from individuals who were missold insurance are fine but those companies that offer a service are the modern day equivalent of ambulance chasers.

They don't have to have any proof of misselling to make a claim on someone's behalf. The statistics for the amount of bogus claims are shocking. Banks, however, have to comply within defined timescales so are having to waste millions investigating claims that are tantamount to being fraudulent. I don't have much sympathy for banks but at the end of the day those costs are just going to be passed on to us consumers in one way or another.

By *maz.Man
over a year ago

Southampton / iford

Got 8k back from egg ,I'm self employed when sold it ,knowing they would never pay out to self employed people ,worth doing it yourself ,good luck !

over a year ago

i used a company and when i got a offer they advised mr to say no , so it when to the finacial ombudsman, WHO said i was only due a 5th of the offer and that was all i got less the 25% commission , but still better than a kick in the nuts , lol, i think

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"Is there any way to find out if you had it if you don't have the paperwork? I've never knowingly signed up for it, but from what I understand that doesn't mean I never had it"

Contact the banks / credit card companies that you had accounts with... Inform them you intend to claim for mis sold PPI and ask for copies of your credit agreements.

You'll find it on there.

over a year ago

"use a template letter from Martin Lewis website as a guide

and call the bank direct and ask for their advice line.

Do it yourself as 25% is a lot to cover them doing the exact same of your behalf"

we claimed back by doing it ourselves

over a year ago

My Mam got 22k back going back about 15years!! She did it herself (with just 1 letter) so got every penny, and they even paid her interest- I think this was from the date she was awarded it until the date she actually got it into her bank account.

Her boyfriend got 4k back too, but his took two letters.

DO NOT go thru a company if possible!!

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

Another successful one here. They contacted me, I filled in a simple form and got money back.

No third party dodgy company taking their cut.

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 26/10/12 00:23:08]

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

"Is there any way to find out if you had it if you don't have the paperwork? I've never knowingly signed up for it, but from what I understand that doesn't mean I never had it"

Contact your bank and ask them for a lending history as regards PPI being attached to any monies you have lent. You should also be able to get original agreements for a charge.

YOU have to tell them why YOU were MISS-SOLD it.

Do not ever quote Martin Lewis or the 'my friend got it back so I want it back'.

PPI reclaim is to do with individual circumstance NOT simply that you have paid it.

Self employment, full pay if sick and telling them this at the time, secure employment, being told it was part and parcel of the loan/mortgage/CC (not being given the option) are the general ones I believe.

Miss-selling also includes not being told fully what PPI was, were you ever told what it covered fully. Were you asked if you wanted it or was it just applied.

By *he Happy ManMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

"Tv and Radio is full of ad's, no doubt many of us get texts & emails from reclaim companies - and yes their main selling point "banks have set aside many many millions in liability provisions" is true ..

But wonder if anyone here has had a successful claim?

Only ask as found original paperwork in a clear out so tempted to look further into it - but with so many firms out there not sure who is good so any feedback from ACTUAL experience would be most welcome"

I have had a lot of success. Some companies are better than others. For example I got one company to look into my records. They came back and said I did not have a claim. By chance I saw another company who claimed a 100% success rate. As it was no win no fee I gave them a shot. They got me back £2,600 and £1,800 PM me if you want the name of the company

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

No company can look into your accounts. You might as well request them yourself as they receive the same paperwork you do if given acct numbers.

Using a company is pointless

By *annGentMan
over a year ago

With a cracking _iew

Did my own a few years ago, before the banks were shown for what they are

Got a few k back

Used the template letters and advice provided by a 'Penalty Charges' forum, and Martin Lewis.

Bad enough the banks were having my money, not letting anyone else have any of it if I can do the work just as easily !!!!

Post new Message to Thread