Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Babies and Pensioners

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Both are a nuisance.

There is a coffee shop in Germany that has banned babies. An award winning hotel/holiday chain doesn't allow children.

Would you like to see babies banned from public places?

At the other end, Lord Bichard is suggesting that pensioners should provide some community service in order to get their pensions. The pension scroungers need to give something back to society, says the man who retired at 54 on a public pension of £120k a year.

What? It is Thursday.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Now if we slide both to one side that would suit me ............... God I would be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee whoooo hoooo lol .................. then back in the real world

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

Toddlers not so much babies and obviously not from all areas, but there should be some places you can go that are child free, its great that families can take there kids to the beer gardens but the last thing i want is a screaming kid pulling at my leg when im socializing in an adult place.

Yes im a mother and we all love our cherubs, but im happy to pay higher to go somewhere away from them

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

oh and jay retired at 55 but hes not long started getting his state pension

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

If a baby is crying after a while it can spoil whatever your up to, hard lines. Theres an 'If' and a 'Can' in that sentance so its not certain. Id rather the baby stopped crying for its own good firstly as more often than not, somethings upsetting it. It might not even be the babies fault, infact probably isnt.

Bratty toddlers; differnt story, Im far less tolerable then.

How the hell did he become a Lord with a mouth like that spouting shit. Fricking idiot. They have served their time and in this day and age more and more have to continue to do so.

over a year ago

I think it was a shame when they let Children into pubs, Thankfully a few around here have a no children policy after 8pm. Babies that's a difficult one and i agree some places should be totally child free. I went on a an adults only holiday and it was bliss, because i didn't feel in anyway regrettable about not taking my children and i will do it again. As for Pensioners they have paid their way through their life and deserve to be part of the community unless they are on a mobility scooter which then they think they own the roads and pavements .....

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

It always amazes me, loads unemoyed and they want the coffin dodgers to carry on working for longer. As for children it's up to the parent to make sure they are well behaved.

So licky what's your view on guide dogs in public places such has coffee lounges etc

over a year ago

If parents would look after their kids instead of letting them run around screaming and causing a nuisance it wouldn't be so bad. Can't count the number of times we've been out places and there's been kids running around while the parents totally ignore them.

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

Madge off Benidorm

Im all for 'No Children after ....'

Even if it means at time I have to leave as I have mine with me. Thankfully they dont test you on a mental level, they wouldnt let me in in the first place.

over a year ago

"It always amazes me, loads unemoyed and they want the coffin dodgers to carry on working for longer. As for children it's up to the parent to make sure they are well behaved.

So licky what's your view on guide dogs in public places such has coffee lounges etc "

Guide dogs are welcome everywhere as far as I am concerned. I love a doggy.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

"It always amazes me, loads unemoyed and they want the coffin dodgers to carry on working for longer. As for children it's up to the parent to make sure they are well behaved.

So licky what's your view on guide dogs in public places such has coffee lounges etc

Guide dogs are welcome everywhere as far as I am concerned. I love a doggy."

Believe me they are not welcome everywhere even so the law says different, but it is good to know you like guide dogs

over a year ago

I read that today about pensioners should work for their pension payment. That's just ridiculous l! Most of them have worked their whole life for it!

over a year ago

babys get on my tits they are too noisy and messy. so yes they should be banned from some places.

over a year ago

I read that report last night about pensioners having to 'earn' their pension and be 'useful to society' I'm speechless really these attitudes depress the fuck outta me

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"If parents would look after their kids instead of letting them run around screaming and causing a nuisance it wouldn't be so bad. Can't count the number of times we've been out places and there's been kids running around while the parents totally ignore them. "

We often take the children out for meals and as toddlers they were and still are incredibly well behaved. I'm am regularly complimented on their behavior. If there is a 'moment' we take them away... Simples. Now if we can go out with no problems why can't others? It really bugs me when parents let their kids run riot especially in resturants and they leave more food on the floor than they they eaten!! And when a baby is crying and no attempt to soothe it

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"If parents would look after their kids instead of letting them run around screaming and causing a nuisance it wouldn't be so bad. Can't count the number of times we've been out places and there's been kids running around while the parents totally ignore them.

We often take the children out for meals and as toddlers they were and still are incredibly well behaved. I'm am regularly complimented on their behavior. If there is a 'moment' we take them away... Simples. Now if we can go out with no problems why can't others? It really bugs me when parents let their kids run riot especially in resturants and they leave more food on the floor than they they eaten!! And when a baby is crying and no attempt to soothe it

"

Yes i agree with this, i will seek out places /pubs/hotels that are child free, usually because of the parents.

I watched a child the other day throwing food at people and his mum laughed, i told the child to stop throwing food. It did. Simple eh?

By *etillanteWoman
over a year ago

Sounds awful but why can't retired people shop during 9-5 during the week

By *iamondsmiles.Woman
over a year ago

"Sounds awful but why can't retired people shop during 9-5 during the week "

cause they are digging their allotment

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

I purposely avoid certain supermarkets solely because the lovely old dears either todder around slower than a snail or take up the whole aisle with a mid shop coffee morning!!

......trolley rage!

over a year ago

"I think it was a shame when they let Children into pubs, Thankfully a few around here have a no children policy after 8pm. Babies that's a difficult one and i agree some places should be totally child free. I went on a an adults only holiday and it was bliss, because i didn't feel in anyway regrettable about not taking my children and i will do it again. As for Pensioners they have paid their way through their life and deserve to be part of the community unless they are on a mobility scooter which then they think they own the roads and pavements ..... "

Perky, that's the last time I let you ride on my mobility scooter!!!!

over a year ago

"I read that report last night about pensioners having to 'earn' their pension and be 'useful to society' I'm speechless really these attitudes depress the fuck outta me "

over a year ago

Because they go to you-know-where in coachloads for a day out at the weekend and make it a total nightmare for everyone else.

over a year ago

Long haul airplanes.

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I choose not to have children. Completely my choice. But I am a very committed Auntie.

I will take small children to restaurants and places like that but they have to behave with adult manners in those kind of places and they know this.

If they need to run around like mad things (as all children do) then I will take them to an open space where they can be loud and vigorous without causing upset to others.

But I really don't like children who haven't been taught how to behave around other people. For that I blame the adults with them.

I will also fess up to not liking babies and to finding crying babies deeply unpleasant. I accept that this is not always the parents fault, but I prefer not to be near them for that reason.

But parents who leave a child to cry itself silly or to throw food and other items round a public space will get my best hard stare and some heavy duty tutting.

over a year ago

"I choose not to have children. Completely my choice. But I am a very committed Auntie.

I will take small children to restaurants and places like that but they have to behave with adult manners in those kind of places and they know this.

If they need to run around like mad things (as all children do) then I will take them to an open space where they can be loud and vigorous without causing upset to others.

But I really don't like children who haven't been taught how to behave around other people. For that I blame the adults with them.

I will also fess up to not liking babies and to finding crying babies deeply unpleasant. I accept that this is not always the parents fault, but I prefer not to be near them for that reason.

But parents who leave a child to cry itself silly or to throw food and other items round a public space will get my best hard stare and some heavy duty tutting. "

Is it a Paddington hard stare?

I agree, children will take their lead from the adults with them. Adults need to get comfortable with saying no the the little darlings and managing their behaviour.

With babies it is more difficult and there are times when I think babies have been taken to completely inappropriate places. I don't blame the babies as they couldn't get there under their own steam.

By *umsuckMan
over a year ago

Gateshead

I don't think there is such a thing as a bad child,just a badly brought up child.

over a year ago

Pensioners working for their pension, to me this is misdirection.

After all how much are the pensioners taking from our public coffers, what is it compared to what corporate tax avoidance costs us?

Yet the news is full of whether we should get a fair deal from the pensioners, whilst all the rich corporations who end up giving sinecure to ex mps and lords, gets hardly any real mention. Surely we should be talking about tightening up the tax laws.

As for kids, well depends where it is really, more often than not its the ones whose parents don't keep them under control that annoy me, however maybe I shouldn't be making that judgement call not having kids.

over a year ago

Badly behaved children make me want to smack the parents. There's no place for it anywhere.

As for having to work for pensions, what the fuck did these people pay tax and NI for?

Fucking government, always thinking of new ways to take what regular people have earned, whilst letting themselves, their cronies and big business off paying anything at all.

I don't see them dipping into their own pension pots, cutting their own pensions, freezing their own incomes, cutting their own perks or leading by example in any way at all in these tough times. They even still have a subsidised restaurant and bar. They're amongst the highest earners and they subsidise their own meals and drinks at the cost of those struggling as a result of their greed and ineptitude.

Greedy fuckers. They all need shooting. And that's all of the main parties. They're all as bad as each other.

This country needs a revolution. Unfortunately, we're all too sodding meek. The French would have done a Guy Fawkes II by now.

over a year ago

"Badly behaved children make me want to smack the parents. There's no place for it anywhere.

As for having to work for pensions, what the fuck did these people pay tax and NI for?

Fucking government, always thinking of new ways to take what regular people have earned, whilst letting themselves, their cronies and big business off paying anything at all.

I don't see them dipping into their own pension pots, cutting their own pensions, freezing their own incomes, cutting their own perks or leading by example in any way at all in these tough times. They even still have a subsidised restaurant and bar. They're amongst the highest earners and they subsidise their own meals and drinks at the cost of those struggling as a result of their greed and ineptitude.

Greedy fuckers. They all need shooting. And that's all of the main parties. They're all as bad as each other.

This country needs a revolution. Unfortunately, we're all too sodding meek. The French would have done a Guy Fawkes II by now.

"

Just show me where to plant the C4 and BOOM

over a year ago

Biggest mistake to our society was to take our parental rights away to make the children understand right and wrong and how to behave in public...

Don't know if this has happened to any of yourselves but, i have gone to grab my 15yr old daughter to stop her from sneaking out at night and all i got back was "You touch me and i will phone the police" (if i had said that when growing up i would'nt been able to sit for a week) And i know children that have done that and have been removed from the house..... What can you do??

over a year ago

"Biggest mistake to our society was to take our parental rights away to make the children understand right and wrong and how to behave in public...

Don't know if this has happened to any of yourselves but, i have gone to grab my 15yr old daughter to stop her from sneaking out at night and all i got back was "You touch me and i will phone the police" (if i had said that when growing up i would'nt been able to sit for a week) And i know children that have done that and have been removed from the house..... What can you do?? "

It's political correctness gone mad!

I know some people go too far with punishment but good grief, there's so many that don't even tell their kids off.

The types that really piss me off are the ones where the kids are running wild in a shop and the parent whispers in a quiet voice 'shhh sweetie, please don't do that darling, you're making mummy sad. Please stop.' Sod that! Shout 'STOP IT OR ELSE!!!' Or words to that effect!

over a year ago

My kids have used that u touch me ill phone the police, to which I promptly replied well if your going to do that maybe ill give you something to show them, luckily that in itself shocked them enough to shut them up and resolve the situation, I however do not smack my kids, but was smacked and have not suffered because of it at all.

By *sprey6Man
over a year ago

Here!

I was at s large chain pub that serves good all day and there were a number of children treating it ssh a running track. One child in articular kept running with a balloon and bumping into things. The balloon ended up on my plate with a child grabbing it and pulling half my mixed grill with it. When I had the cheek to confront the parents, his tracksuit dad told me to wind my neck in or he would dort me out. I politely told him that if he was to take me outside it would possibly be the biggest mistake of his life, but to feel free to lead the way. He didn't!

I went to speak to the manager and got a refund, as we had only just got our food and it was like a kids play area in there. He apologised and gave a full refund.

I told him he was putting his waitress's in a dangerous position because of the hot food and children making he'll mixture.

He dudnt have the balks to deal with it .

Sadly as we left balloon boy received a sizzling metal plate and a lot of red hot food over him. I took no pleasure from it cause its the parents fault. He was quite hurt cause it was heavy. But not burnt luckily.

As I left old tracksuit dad was screaming at them all about suing for the damage to his child!

That's the country we live in folks!

over a year ago

I'm parent to two young children, 3 yrs and 10 months, if I couldn't take my children with me, I'd never go anywhere!!

They're both well behaved though, we go to restaurants and they both sit at the table, no running/crawling about and they feed themselves. Obviously the baby does drop stuff but we clean up after him. They both go to the cinema and the baby has since he was tiny, I just snuggle him in for a feed and he goes to sleep.

If either of them started screaming somewhere like that and it wasn't something I could handle there and then, we would go home. However, the cinema viewings are normally kids screenings (baby is usually better behaved than some of the older children) and restaurants is usually about 4:30-5pm so it's mostly families then anyway.

over a year ago

I find it hard to figure what's right or wrong when coming to this subject.

As a child (7-12yrs) I was subjected to regular beatings from my sperm donor which resulted in cuts, fractures, breaks and even my hand stabbed to the garden fence with a screw driver. I might not have be the best behaved child but not disobedient to the rules/chores I was set. My mum couldn't stop it as she was subject to similar beatings and was terrified.

Eventually once my mum got the strength to leave him and I cut all contact I went well and truly off the rails (13-16) gang affiliation, fights, never in school, pretty much no respect for authority or my mum. My mum felt she couldn't punish me due to what I'd already been through so shyed away from doing so.

How I wish she hadn't and gave me the kick up the arse I needed because looking back at those 3 years I grimace at the idiot I was and the grief I caused.

Parents should have the right to punish their kids but due to incidents like I went through and recent events like baby P and other such tragedies due to twisted individuals and lack of effort from social services then everyone suffers.

Still it seems to leave more questions and less answers as the politicians don't seem to give a feck.

over a year ago

Absolutely along with anyone that doesn't work and avoid the lunchtime period

over a year ago

What about babies in First Class cabins on aeroplanes ?

Especially 'the screamers'

This is a common complaint my mate receives from passengers.

That they have paid £thousands for a lie flat bed on an overnight flight, yet have been kept awake all night by a fracteous baby.

over a year ago

I work shifts in a pub, the problem is that families bring more money into a pub than drinkers. It used to be that children were not allowed in unless they had a meal (not counting babies), now they can come in at any time but have to be gone by 9pm. If parents come in late, they are told this unless they have booked. The pub I work in is a sizzler, which means that meals come on a very hot metal plate which is kept on the cooker, we also have a garden where people can sit an eat meals (hot plates are not taken outside due to the health and safety risk). Yes some parents do keep their children under control but some do not, others leave pushchairs and buggies blocking gangways, they sit in the garden drinking all day with their kids and make it incredibly difficult to take food out.

The majority of babies we have in, are really good, its the toddlers and young ones who don't so I am more for a ban on that age group because its difficult to do my job but I wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for them.

When I go out for a meal, I always look for a table furthest away from children as I don't want my peace ruined by their spoilt brat 'I want I want' behaviour

over a year ago

Two very emotive subjects OP.

Kids: I'm not a mum, but I am an aunty to my brother's brood of kids. He is raising a group of well behaved children, on a council estate, without using corporal punishment. Our parents didn't hit us either, in fact I can only think of a single occasion when I got a swat on my bum.

Misbehaving kids are normally* caused by poor parenting, ban the parents rather than the kids!

*of course I'm not counting kids with learning difficulties in with this!

Pensioners

This is another difficult one. Retirement age was originally set at 65 as most people didn't live that long. Should someone who has paid NI all their lufe and reached retirement be allowed to stop work? Yes.

Should someone in my age group be allowed to do the same thing? Yes.

The hitch is that while people are living longer and having smaller families the availible fund from people's NI is getting smaller (less working age people) to look after a larger group of pensioners.

You can't tax the corporations or rich too much, as they'll just move elsewhere. We are already spending 9% of the national gdp on pensions. I don't know the answer to this problem and I don't think any solution will be good for us.

By *r and mrs sanddancerCouple
over a year ago

BOLDON COLLIERY

as i see it when i started work many years ago

I formed a contract with the gov. through NI and tax to look after my health and old age pensions,

If this comes out can I sue the gov. for breach of contract

over a year ago

"Two very emotive subjects OP.

Kids: I'm not a mum, but I am an aunty to my brother's brood of kids. He is raising a group of well behaved children, on a council estate, without using corporal punishment. Our parents didn't hit us either, in fact I can only think of a single occasion when I got a swat on my bum.

Misbehaving kids are normally* caused by poor parenting, ban the parents rather than the kids!

Pensioners

This is another difficult one. Retirement age was originally set at 65 as most people didn't live that long. Should someone who has paid NI all their lufe and reached retirement be allowed to stop work? Yes.

The hitch is that while people are living longer and having smaller families the availible fund from people's NI is getting smaller (less working age people) to look after a larger group of pensioners.

You can't tax the corporations or rich too much, as they'll just move elsewhere. We are already spending 9% of the national gdp on pensions. I don't know the answer to this problem and I don't think any solution will be good for us."

Thank you so much for your post. Both are highly contentious issues.

The pension age was set at a time when we expected people to claim for 5 years, not 30. However, I find it galling to suggest that pensioners should be capped if they don't 'work' for their payments. It feels like we are returning to a Victorian workhouse mentality on all public spending.

over a year ago

I just read the heading as 'Rabies and Pensioners'!

over a year ago

" I just read the heading as 'Rabies and Pensioners'! "

That would reduce the pension bill. It probably wouldn't be that much worse than the winter flu bill to the NHS. 65 and over please step forward and pet the foamy mouthed little doggy.

over a year ago

“Would you like to see babies banned from public places?”

No …. absolutely not. What happened to the ‘big society’ mentality? and that’s a comment from the heart rather than from a political manifesto. Children need to be integrated to learn and there seems to be a growing reticence to allow this to happen. Disproving looks if a child cries or even laughs too loudly in a public place, threats of an asbo if he dares kick a ball in the street, pure fear if teenagers gather in groups of 3 or more. Everybody seems to be too wrapped up in themselves these days. Of course there will be times when certain children or certain parents wind me up in a public place but so what? They have the same right to be there as I do. What next? Banning red heads because somebody takes offence, how about ugly people?

I have 3 children and have always taken them out in public from the word go. Restaurants, beer gardens, cinema and shopping (loved to see the look on the face of the Selfridges staff … “how dare such urchins darken our retail palace”). Usually without any misbehavior but occasionally the mask slipped, especially with the youngest … blame the parents? All three of mine were brought up and treated just the same but the youngest proved to most problematic but that’s just indicative of the character melting pot that nature rather than nurture provides.

“... pensioners should provide some community service in order to get their pensions...”

Those reaching pensionable age should be allowed to take that well deserved rest if that’s what they choose to do (or work in charitable organisations if they choose not to). We are reaping the benefits of their lifetime contribution to the country and if we have issues with paying for those pensions then maybe we, the current working populous, need to contribute a little more.

over a year ago

"Biggest mistake to our society was to take our parental rights away to make the children understand right and wrong and how to behave in public...

Don't know if this has happened to any of yourselves but, i have gone to grab my 15yr old daughter to stop her from sneaking out at night and all i got back was "You touch me and i will phone the police" (if i had said that when growing up i would'nt been able to sit for a week) And i know children that have done that and have been removed from the house..... What can you do??

It's political correctness gone mad!

I know some people go too far with punishment but good grief, there's so many that don't even tell their kids off.

The types that really piss me off are the ones where the kids are running wild in a shop and the parent whispers in a quiet voice 'shhh sweetie, please don't do that darling, you're making mummy sad. Please stop.' Sod that! Shout 'STOP IT OR ELSE!!!' Or words to that effect! "

Well it's a case of going from one extreme to the other isn't it? The parents of those of us who are now in our fifties and early sixties thought that it was fine to brutalise their children by whipping them with belts etc.We rebelled against this, but now society has gone to the other extreme.Something in the middle would be best.

over a year ago

Don't know if this has happened to any of yourselves but, i have gone to grab my 15yr old daughter to stop her from sneaking out at night and all i got back was "You touch me and i will phone the police" (if i had said that when growing up i would'nt been able to sit for a week) And i know children that have done that and have been removed from the house..... What can you do?? "

totally agree with you!! You should be able to smack your kids without anyone looking at you and mumbling under their breath. My son always gets a smack after a warning!

over a year ago

"Two very emotive subjects OP.

Pensioners

You can't tax the corporations or rich too much, as they'll just move elsewhere. We are already spending 9% of the national gdp on pensions. I don't know the answer to this problem and I don't think any solution will be good for us.

Thank you so much for your post. Both are highly contentious issues.

The pension age was set at a time when we expected people to claim for 5 years, not 30. However, I find it galling to suggest that pensioners should be capped if they don't 'work' for their payments. It feels like we are returning to a Victorian workhouse mentality on all public spending."

Of course we are returning to a Victorian workhouse mentality on all public spending. This is precisely what the New Right free market capitalists believe we should have. Free market capitalists believe that all aspects of society should be governed by the market with little or no intervention by governments and this means no public services.

But they can't just scrap them-the NHS for example is Britain's favourite institution and even most Tory voters who haven't quite worked out how different today's Tories are from Heath's Tories don't want it dismantled. They have to do it slowly, and surreptitiously.

If we are going to have capitalism ( and I personally am opposed to all forms of capitalism) then we need the social market capitalism that we had in the 60s and the 70s, or even perhaps, state capitalism, but free market capitalism can and will return us to the conditions we had in Victorian England or to what they have in places like Colombia.

over a year ago

"

You can't tax the corporations or rich too much, as they'll just move elsewhere. We are already spending 9% of the national gdp on pensions. I don't know the answer to this problem and I don't think any solution will be good for us."

With respect I would have to disagree on that.

There's the old adage of cutting your nose off to spite your face

Lets look at Amazon and Ebay

Amazon 3.3bn last year from the UK - tax paid 0

Ebay 800m sales 1.2m tax paid

If they paid 10% tax on those profits that would still mean that

Amazon would be taking 2.97bn

Ebay 720m

Any company that wants to pull out and leave that much profit fine. I'll open a UK version of them tomorrow, I think I could still manage to live off of that.

But I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pull out and lose that much cash.

over a year ago

I do take my 3 out to restaurants quite regularly.... Obviously common sense dictates where i would and wouldnt take them and at what time of day. On the whole they are well behaved but they have their moments as do all children. However when i have a rare night without the sprogs i far prefer to eat somewhere without children. I think we should keep a mix of child friendly places and adult only places. This way everyone has a choice.... If you choose to go to a child friendly restaurant not much moaning about the kids when you get there.

Post new Message to Thread