Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Landrover man fined

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The Northampton Chief of Police has fined a landrover driver after a cyclist deliberately filmed him on a head cam. The video circling has gone viral. I cannot see how the landrover could of driven any closer to his left. The lane was so narrow that one cyclist toppled into the ditch. Is this Justice?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

The video was quite dodgy. The landrover didn't appear to slow down much though.

By *lipy123TV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

Maybe he was going to a meet

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Did the cyclist really need to dive into the ditch. Surely that could have caused injury ..

over a year ago

"Did the cyclist really need to dive into the ditch. Surely that could have caused injury .."

Did they dive or did they fall due to the wind and shock from the speeding landrover?

By *ornynorfolkguyMan
over a year ago

North Norfolk

I don’t think it’s worthy of fining the driver. The cyclist in front was the problem, he should of carried on rather than stopping. She fell because her feet were attached to the pedals which I find daft.

Gravity was not her friend that day.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

The land-rover was going way to fast! When I've met vehicles coming towards me in country lanes like this they allway stop and let me past! Or vise versa! Way to close to her! X

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

Can I just be pedantic and say it's Land Rover not Landrover

Sorry

over a year ago

I’m glad it was filmed as it sends a message out to these horrible metal box drivers

over a year ago

Most metal box drivers are nice btw

over a year ago

"The Northampton Chief of Police has fined a landrover driver after a cyclist deliberately filmed him on a head cam. The video circling has gone viral. I cannot see how the landrover could of driven any closer to his left. The lane was so narrow that one cyclist toppled into the ditch. Is this Justice?"
yes ! Some are absolutely dangerously vile to us

By *addysdadCouple
over a year ago

southern Cumbria

Watch the video, cyclist falls off when they run into the back of first of 3 cycles.

3rd one in group busy make hand gestures to the vehicle,

Car was too fast, but cyclist fell into ditch of their own fault

By *entBarryUKMan
over a year ago

Ashford

"Can I just be pedantic and say it's Land Rover not Landrover

Sorry

"

Love this!

By *entBarryUKMan
over a year ago

Ashford

"Watch the video, cyclist falls off when they run into the back of first of 3 cycles.

Car was too fast, but cyclist fell into ditch of their own fault "

I agree. I think the cyclist lost balance due to others slowing down. The Land Rover driver was way to fast and should have slowed down.

over a year ago

Sorry

"

This changes everything.

over a year ago

"The Northampton Chief of Police has fined a landrover driver after a cyclist deliberately filmed him on a head cam. The video circling has gone viral. I cannot see how the landrover could of driven any closer to his left. The lane was so narrow that one cyclist toppled into the ditch. Is this Justice?"

It is justice, and it couldn't be more justice than if the policeman himself stuff on the Land Rover roof with a billowing cape whilst being filmed from below puffing his chest out with his arm crossed. These Land Rover owners know their time is up.

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

Sorry

"

Land-Rover

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan
over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Standard day in Northampton that tbf

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I think the jury had their mind swayed because of the cyclist who fell into the ditch which as a previous poster said. Was because she had bicycle clips on. The lesson here. Never ride too close to the cycle in front. Anticipate Anticipate Anticipate.

The two second rule applies to cyclists too ...

over a year ago

You realise that the driver plead guilty to the offence, after initially pleading not guilty and claiming he slowed down? Deserves his fine. Driving like a tool, got caught, tough shit!

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"You realise that the driver plead guilty to the offence, after initially pleading not guilty and claiming he slowed down? Deserves his fine. Driving like a tool, got caught, tough shit!

"

Perhaps he slowed from 70 to 50

over a year ago

"I think the jury had their mind swayed because of the cyclist who fell into the ditch which as a previous poster said. Was because she had bicycle clips on. The lesson here. Never ride too close to the cycle in front. Anticipate Anticipate Anticipate.

The two second rule applies to cyclists too ... "

yeah pack riding is dangerous but fun

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Did the cyclist really need to dive into the ditch. Surely that could have caused injury ..

Did they dive or did they fall due to the wind and shock from the speeding landrover? "

We need var to sort it out

over a year ago

So a man has been fined for driving without due care and attention. What's your point?

By *irBummyFingerMan
over a year ago

Carmarthen

"You realise that the driver plead guilty to the offence, after initially pleading not guilty and claiming he slowed down? Deserves his fine. Driving like a tool, got caught, tough shit!

Perhaps he slowed from 70 to 50"

It wasn’t me then, my old Landy only does 40, maybe goes a little faster but imagine the steering gets even more vague

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"I think the jury had their mind swayed because of the cyclist who fell into the ditch which as a previous poster said. Was because she had bicycle clips on. The lesson here. Never ride too close to the cycle in front. Anticipate Anticipate Anticipate.

The two second rule applies to cyclists too ... yeah pack riding is dangerous but fun "

Maybe best left to the professionals in the veledrome and not on a unclassified single track road ..

By *tephanjMan
over a year ago

Kettering

Silly question but do cyclists take a driving test. Most cyclists I come across on the road seem to know what they are doing but there are a lot that don't. If the land rover was going to fast then he deserves a fine

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Silly question but do cyclists take a driving test. Most cyclists I come across on the road seem to know what they are doing but there are a lot that don't. If the land rover was going to fast then he deserves a fine"

Do they have insurance? Is it sensible to have your feet clipped in when you might have to slow down / stop? I'd argue the cyclist wasn't showing due care and attention after riding into the bike in front... Still... Good that the police service got involved.. I mean there's not much else they could be doing.

over a year ago

The two second rule applies to cyclists too ... "

I wonder if the guilty plead also swayed the jury... (Was there even a jury?)

Did the cyclist get rear ended ?

over a year ago

The two second rule applies to cyclists too ... I wonder if the guilty plead also swayed the jury... (Was there even a jury?)

Did the cyclist get rear ended ?"

I’ve searched out articles, he was fined by a magistrate’s court. No jury.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/04/22 10:45:14]

over a year ago

"Silly question but do cyclists take a driving test. Most cyclists I come across on the road seem to know what they are doing but there are a lot that don't. If the land rover was going to fast then he deserves a fine"
I did my cycling and proficiency test at school on my rally winner

By *aptainhornpipeMan
over a year ago

manchester

"Did the cyclist really need to dive into the ditch. Surely that could have caused injury .."

Have just watched it a couple of times now and the land rover was going to fast, but the reason the cyclist bailed was cos she was clipped into her pedals. When she stopped she didn’t unclip fast enough so couldn’t put her feet down.

This is a common thing when riding this kind of bike.

over a year ago

Not sure why I'm bothering on a Tom thread, but I will actually say what I think of the incident now I have googled it.

The van was going too fast. And the cyclists panicked. A combination of both lead to the fall. The cyclists were clearly not going fast or riding too close to each other, or the one at the back who had time to turn round to watch the car speed off would have rear ended the others. The cyclist who fell off was clearly trying to give too much space, and if she had stayed out a little more, to the level of the 3rd cyclist who was filming, they would not have fallen. It's interesting that all the Highway Code talk has been about space, and the car couldn't have given more space without leaving the road, however I'm sure the wind rush as he passed, in combination with the middle cyclist not giving themselves any safety net. Going slower would obviously have helped, but so would having more confidence on the bike. If you have time to show instruction, gesticulate, and look behind you, you have time to prepare yourself for them being too close also. I give the motorist a D for basically doing the bare minimum, i.e. move over to his edge. I give the lead cyclist a B, they left room for themselves and didn't panic, but they maybe slowed to much, causing an issue for the cyclist behind them. The one who fell off a C-, not having the confidence or skills to perform a safe stop, unclip at speed, putting themselves in danger by not anticipating that if they ride 1" from the verge, they will be in it when the wind hits them. The rear cyclist a C, if you can stick the bird up as they ass, you're not helping, nor are you in danger.

That's my take

over a year ago

"Silly question but do cyclists take a driving test. Most cyclists I come across on the road seem to know what they are doing but there are a lot that don't. If the land rover was going to fast then he deserves a fine

Do they have insurance? Is it sensible to have your feet clipped in when you might have to slow down / stop? I'd argue the cyclist wasn't showing due care and attention after riding into the bike in front... Still... Good that the police service got involved.. I mean there's not much else they could be doing. "

SPD pedals are quick release and super safe

By *0shadesOfFilthMan
over a year ago

nearby

Good

Time to get these polluting Chelsea tractors off the road

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

There's a really simple way to deal with this issue, stop bloody cycling in a way that allows drivers to put you at risk. If the driver of the Land Rover had met an on coming car at that spot one of the two would have pulled into a passing space - and happily stopped and reversed to do so yet for some reason the idea of showing to pass a cyclist safely enrages some drivers.

When cycling narrow lanes like that the safest thing is to position yourself wide and behave exactly as you would in a car. If its easier for you to pull over and let the car past then do so, if it is easier for the oncoming vehicle to do so then stay out wide and continue to ride towards them, exactly as you would in a car to signal that you expect them to pull into the available gateway/passing spot to give you room.

This is exactly why the law has changed, cycling to give space to other vehicles encourages drivers to behave like this. Where its safe for vehicles to pass, cyclists should keep left out the way. Where it isn't safe they should command their lane and make other drivers treat them just the same as they would every other vehicle on the road. It really does work.

I do this when running with her ladyship, we get fed up with vehicles racing past with inches to spare, a few weeks back one clipped her with a wing mirror. When I run with her I don't allow it. If I hear a car coming up and slowing I move out the way, if I don't hear them slowing and consider the lane to be too narrow for them to pass safely at speed I deliberately move out wide and force them to slow down. More often than not there's no issue, it often isn't out of malice it is pure ignorance. There is a real lack of awareness of how it feels to be passed by several tonnes of machine doing 30 odd mph with inches to spare. For some reason drivers have a tendency to view pedestrians and cyclists as obstructions, little more than lampposts as opposed to other road users. As soon as you behave in a way that makes it clear you are a road user the same as them and expect to be treated as such it appears to make a psychological switch and all of a sudden you're accorded the same consideration as another car driver would be.

Mr

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

"Good

Time to get these polluting Chelsea tractors off the road "

It's a Defender on a rural road, that's like the total opposite of a Chelsea tractor

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"Not sure why I'm bothering on a Tom thread, but I will actually say what I think of the incident now I have googled it.

The van was going too fast. And the cyclists panicked. A combination of both lead to the fall. The cyclists were clearly not going fast or riding too close to each other, or the one at the back who had time to turn round to watch the car speed off would have rear ended the others. The cyclist who fell off was clearly trying to give too much space, and if she had stayed out a little more, to the level of the 3rd cyclist who was filming, they would not have fallen. It's interesting that all the Highway Code talk has been about space, and the car couldn't have given more space without leaving the road, however I'm sure the wind rush as he passed, in combination with the middle cyclist not giving themselves any safety net. Going slower would obviously have helped, but so would having more confidence on the bike. If you have time to show instruction, gesticulate, and look behind you, you have time to prepare yourself for them being too close also. I give the motorist a D for basically doing the bare minimum, i.e. move over to his edge. I give the lead cyclist a B, they left room for themselves and didn't panic, but they maybe slowed to much, causing an issue for the cyclist behind them. The one who fell off a C-, not having the confidence or skills to perform a safe stop, unclip at speed, putting themselves in danger by not anticipating that if they ride 1" from the verge, they will be in it when the wind hits them. The rear cyclist a C, if you can stick the bird up as they ass, you're not helping, nor are you in danger.

That's my take "

Eminently sensible... Although from the video still cant work out if headcam lady drives into ditch ladies rear...

Interesting the police described it thus...

"The moment was captured by one of the cyclist's helmet cameras during the incident in June last year. Northamptonshire Police called the incident a "reckless overtaking manoeuvre."

There is another view too...when on a single track road, pull over and let the big metal thing coming towards you pass before continuing safely on your journey. Not sure continuing to cycle towards a car is very sensible either. Surely if she loses balance from a car doing 30 or whatever speed it was she isn't safe to be on the road. Hope shes back in the saddle now anyway and wiser from the experience.

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I saw that last week. I agreed with most of the comments that the lady needs to learn how to ride a push bike before going out with traffic.

All other vehicle users have to pass a test to be able to use the roads, why not cyclists?

By *inister_SpinsterWoman
over a year ago

North West

Sorry

"

Thank you.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 05/04/22 11:05:43]

over a year ago

"

Eminently sensible... Although from the video still cant work out if headcam lady drives into ditch ladies rear...

"The moment was captured by one of the cyclist's helmet cameras during the incident in June last year. Northamptonshire Police called the incident a "reckless overtaking manoeuvre."

There is another view too...when on a single track road, pull over and let the big metal thing coming towards you pass before continuing safely on your journey. Not sure continuing to cycle towards a car is very sensible either. Surely if she loses balance from a car doing 30 or whatever speed it was she isn't safe to be on the road. Hope shes back in the saddle now anyway and wiser from the experience. "

I do a lot of cycling on country roads like that in the Peak District, and have to dodge tractors, motorcycles, all sorts. There's a line between doing what the Highway Code says you should, which often relies on the others doing the same, or discretion being the better part of valour, and stopping even though it is your right of way some times for example. I feel for the cyclists, what we can't really see is if it is windy or not which would add to the jeopardy. Also, we can clearly see that there is no verge, just a ditch, and no passing place, and what may not be obvious to many is that riding your bike, and it being vertical, takes less space than being stationary. If they had stopped, they would all use their left left to stand at the edge, pushing the bikes further into the road than if they were riding them. Ultimately, while I don't like to criticise a cyclist when they have been put into a tricky situation, I do feel they handled it badly, and that Mr NVBN has it right in that making it more difficult for the vehicle would have been safer, but it takes balls for 3 women to potentially rile a motorist up by forcing them to stop by riding in the centre of the lane. No winners in that situation, a more sensible driver, and a more confident cyclist would have just passes each other without causing any issues.

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"

There is another view too...when on a single track road, pull over and let the big metal thing coming towards you pass before continuing safely on your journey. Not sure continuing to cycle towards a car is very sensible either. Surely if she loses balance from a car doing 30 or whatever speed it was she isn't safe to be on the road. Hope shes back in the saddle now anyway and wiser from the experience.

I do a lot of cycling on country roads like that in the Peak District, and have to dodge tractors, motorcycles, all sorts. There's a line between doing what the Highway Code says you should, which often relies on the others doing the same, or discretion being the better part of valour, and stopping even though it is your right of way some times for example. I feel for the cyclists, what we can't really see is if it is windy or not which would add to the jeopardy. Also, we can clearly see that there is no verge, just a ditch, and no passing place, and what may not be obvious to many is that riding your bike, and it being vertical, takes less space than being stationary. If they had stopped, they would all use their left left to stand at the edge, pushing the bikes further into the road than if they were riding them. Ultimately, while I don't like to criticise a cyclist when they have been put into a tricky situation, I do feel they handled it badly, and that Mr NVBN has it right in that making it more difficult for the vehicle would have been safer, but it takes balls for 3 women to potentially rile a motorist up by forcing them to stop by riding in the centre of the lane. No winners in that situation, a more sensible driver, and a more confident cyclist would have just passes each other without causing any issues.

"

Yep and there's the issue. The driver has been dealt with and you'd like to think being fined and also named and shamed he will do it differently next time . But the cyclist, (who using the same video evidence can be seen, unable to maintain her balance) has apparently not had to do anything to get back on her bike. If we want to keep all road users safe then shouldn't all cyclists need a basic minimum of testing and competence too?... End of the day she got a muddy helmet and a bruised ego but if she'd lost her balance the other way it could have been much worse.

I'm all for riding a bike, scooter, whatever but do it armed with competence and road safety awareness.

over a year ago

"

Yep and there's the issue. The driver has been dealt with and you'd like to think being fined and also named and shamed he will do it differently next time . But the cyclist, (who using the same video evidence can be seen, unable to maintain her balance) has apparently not had to do anything to get back on her bike. If we want to keep all road users safe then shouldn't all cyclists need a basic minimum of testing and competence too?... End of the day she got a muddy helmet and a bruised ego but if she'd lost her balance the other way it could have been much worse.

I'm all for riding a bike, scooter, whatever but do it armed with competence and road safety awareness. "

Generally speaking, the bigger the danger you may be, the more competence you need to show. It's why you can ride a bicycle without a license, why you can ride a moped on a provisional, drive a car with a car license, need a full access motorcycle to ride anything more than 125cc, need advanced driving t drive a lorry and so on. Generally speaking, the lower the chain you are able, the more you are at risk from the ones further up the chain. As a rule, in a collision between a bike and any other vehicle (not pedestrians), the biker will lose. Making the cyclist prove they are safe won't change their chances much in an incident with something bigger, faster and heaver. The only risk anyone faces in a car or can or lorry or bus from a cyclist, is one of scratched paint (to be flippant). a cyclist won't kill a driver. If this Land Rover and the bikes had collided, only the cyclists would be hurt. You can't regulate everything, or we'd be talking about needing to pass a test to use a pelican crossing next.

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

Sorry

"

Yes, and it’s could have, not could of.

Grammar police rock…

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

Under the new hirearchy of vulnerability the driver was at fault, however I think a conversation rather than a fine would have been more productive. All the fine will probably have done is make the driver more antagonist towards cyclists in the future

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"Under the new hirearchy of vulnerability the driver was at fault, however I think a conversation rather than a fine would have been more productive. All the fine will probably have done is make the driver more antagonist towards cyclists in the future"

If he does, and after he’s been fined a few more times he might learn not to.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's not entirely clear who is at fault here. The Land Rover was going a tadge too quick, the cyclist who fell in the ditch was the victim of her bicycle clips and nobody was hurt or injured. Had this gone to a rural court then a jury consisting of landowners and farm workers would have aquitted. A jury of city folk would have convicted. There is a third point. Is there an over zealous Chief Of Police involved here too.

over a year ago

"It's not entirely clear who is at fault here. The Land Rover was going a tadge too quick, the cyclist who fell in the ditch was the victim of her bicycle clips and nobody was hurt or injured. Had this gone to a rural court then a jury consisting of landowners and farm workers would have aquitted. A jury of city folk would have convicted. There is a third point. Is there an over zealous Chief Of Police involved here too. "
what about point four... He pleaded guilty due to being waterboarded.

If he wasn't at fault, why didn't he stuck with a no guilty plea? If he wasn't driving too fast why did he say he slowed down ?

over a year ago

Ot was a Land Rover.

Guilty

over a year ago

"It's not entirely clear who is at fault here. The Land Rover was going a tadge too quick, the cyclist who fell in the ditch was the victim of her bicycle clips and nobody was hurt or injured. Had this gone to a rural court then a jury consisting of landowners and farm workers would have aquitted. A jury of city folk would have convicted. There is a third point. Is there an over zealous Chief Of Police involved here too. "

is this the latest John Grisham?

over a year ago

Swansea

"... the car couldn't have given more space without leaving the road,

"

Bollocks. If there had been another car coming the other way would the driver have kept on? No of course not there simply isn't room to pass, he'd have pulled over into the nearest passing space or stopped and reversed back. If there isn't enough space to pass safely you stop it's really quite simple.

Mr

By *ackformore100Man
over a year ago

Tin town

"It's not entirely clear who is at fault here. The Land Rover was going a tadge too quick, the cyclist who fell in the ditch was the victim of her bicycle clips and nobody was hurt or injured. Had this gone to a rural court then a jury consisting of landowners and farm workers would have aquitted. A jury of city folk would have convicted. There is a third point. Is there an over zealous Chief Of Police involved here too. what about point four... He pleaded guilty due to being waterboarded.

If he wasn't at fault, why didn't he stuck with a no guilty plea? If he wasn't driving too fast why did he say he slowed down ? "

Because he would have gone to court and run the risk of a higher fine and costs... Similar to all those parking fines that are given incorrectly... Pay 60 quid or take us to court... But if you do that and lose it will cost you thousands....

over a year ago

"It's not entirely clear who is at fault here. The Land Rover was going a tadge too quick, the cyclist who fell in the ditch was the victim of her bicycle clips and nobody was hurt or injured. Had this gone to a rural court then a jury consisting of landowners and farm workers would have aquitted. A jury of city folk would have convicted. There is a third point. Is there an over zealous Chief Of Police involved here too. what about point four... He pleaded guilty due to being waterboarded.

If he wasn't at fault, why didn't he stuck with a no guilty plea? If he wasn't driving too fast why did he say he slowed down ?

Because he would have gone to court and run the risk of a higher fine and costs... Similar to all those parking fines that are given incorrectly... Pay 60 quid or take us to court... But if you do that and lose it will cost you thousands.... "

he changed his plea when he appeared at the courts.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

A close family member of mine is a former magistrate in a city Court. They did a training visit to Warwick magistrates Court. Talking to their fellow magistrates it became very clear that different offences are viewed very differently depending if its a rural or city Court. So bias depending on the demographic of the magistrates seems to have been a thing. This was about 20 years ago so maybe the bias has been ironed out to some extent? But I doubt it because country folk are different from city folk.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"It's not entirely clear who is at fault here. The Land Rover was going a tadge too quick, the cyclist who fell in the ditch was the victim of her bicycle clips and nobody was hurt or injured. Had this gone to a rural court then a jury consisting of landowners and farm workers would have aquitted. A jury of city folk would have convicted. There is a third point. Is there an over zealous Chief Of Police involved here too.

A close family member of mine is a former magistrate in a city Court. They did a training visit to Warwick magistrates Court. Talking to their fellow magistrates it became very clear that different offences are viewed very differently depending if its a rural or city Court. So bias depending on the demographic of the magistrates seems to have been a thing. This was about 20 years ago so maybe the bias has been ironed out to some extent? But I doubt it because country folk are different from city folk."

In a round about way you are agreeing with Essex Tom.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

"It's not entirely clear who is at fault here. The Land Rover was going a tadge too quick, the cyclist who fell in the ditch was the victim of her bicycle clips and nobody was hurt or injured. Had this gone to a rural court then a jury consisting of landowners and farm workers would have aquitted. A jury of city folk would have convicted. There is a third point. Is there an over zealous Chief Of Police involved here too.

A close family member of mine is a former magistrate in a city Court. They did a training visit to Warwick magistrates Court. Talking to their fellow magistrates it became very clear that different offences are viewed very differently depending if its a rural or city Court. So bias depending on the demographic of the magistrates seems to have been a thing. This was about 20 years ago so maybe the bias has been ironed out to some extent? But I doubt it because country folk are different from city folk.

In a round about way you are agreeing with Essex Tom. "

In the general term that attitudes in City and Rural courts can be quite different. I'm not entirely sure they would have come to different conclusions over guilt but sentencing may have been different depending how flexible the sentencing guidelines are (of which I don't know).

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

So why did the judge throw the book at the land rover driver in this case. It's clearly a rural road.. are there forces at work here?

over a year ago

"So why did the judge throw the book at the land rover driver in this case. It's clearly a rural road.. are there forces at work here?"
i reckon it's coz he started off pleading not guilty and tried to say he slowed down. He only repented when he saw the evidence.

I believe fines are % of salary so suspect the size reflects his earnings.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Sorry

"

Don't be

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

What's going on here..

The video speaks for itself and people saying things

over a year ago

"What's going on here..

The video speaks for itself"

I suspect that's why he changed his plea!

over a year ago

Sorry

"

Unless it was a Series Land Rover. Then there would be a hyphen between the two words.

over a year ago

"Good

Time to get these polluting Chelsea tractors off the road

It's a Defender on a rural road, that's like the total opposite of a Chelsea tractor "

Hell yea! Beam axles rock!

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"Watch the video, cyclist falls off when they run into the back of first of 3 cycles.

Car was too fast, but cyclist fell into ditch of their own fault "

But were they fined for making a cyclist fall into a ditch (which I doubt is an offence in itself) or passing them dangerously (which probably is).

You ha e to remember, you are meant to give cyclists the same clearance as a small car. Did the driver?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Landrover man was on the edge of the road

over a year ago

I class myself as a cyclist tho I do drive and am "into"cars too.

First off their was loads of space in that video. I think she fell because the rider in front stopped to protest.

I have an issue with all these cameras too. People trying to get people!

Like I say I class myself as a cyclist. Ride to work and for pleasure. I hate other cyclists attitude though. In my mind buses, lorries and cars rule the roads. I watch for them. In over 30 years riding on the roads I've not had an incident so my way works for me so far. Yes road users need to be careful for cyclist but clyclists need to stop the attention seeking. Rant over

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's a close call..

Did the land rover get too close to the cyclist or did the cyclist get too close to the land rover.. ?

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

Looking into it, he was charged with driving without due care and attention. Initially said he slowed right down for them, so he knew what he should have done.

After being shown the video, he pleaded guilty and admitted he didn't slow.

The fact she fell off the bike, or had it recorded means nothing, it's clear that he didn't pass with due care, so the fine is... fine.

The police spokesperson said:

"Drivers should always try to give cyclists and other vulnerable road users at least 1.5m of space and pass slowly. In this instance, on this road, that would not be possible.

On this occasion, the correct thing to do would have been to come to a stop to allow the cyclists to pass safely. It takes a couple of seconds and then everyone can continue their journey in safety."

over a year ago

"It's a close call..

Did the land rover get too close to the cyclist or did the cyclist get too close to the land rover.. ?"

imo the cyclist was riding too fast and endangered the poor land rover driver.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Looking into it, he was charged with driving without due care and attention. Initially said he slowed right down for them, so he knew what he should have done.

The fact she fell off the bike, or had it recorded means nothing, it's clear that he didn't pass with due care, so the fine is... fine.

"Drivers should always try to give cyclists and other vulnerable road users at least 1.5m of space and pass slowly. In this instance, on this road, that would not be possible.

On this occasion, the correct thing to do would have been to come to a stop to allow the cyclists to pass safely. It takes a couple of seconds and then everyone can continue their journey in safety.""

Cyclists are not horses and nobody was hurt.

What's going on here guys ?

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I class myself as a cyclist tho I do drive and am "into"cars too.

First off their was loads of space in that video. I think she fell because the rider in front stopped to protest.

Like I say I class myself as a cyclist. Ride to work and for pleasure. I hate other cyclists attitude though. In my mind buses, lorries and cars rule the roads. I watch for them. In over 30 years riding on the roads I've not had an incident so my way works for me so far. Yes road users need to be careful for cyclist but clyclists need to stop the attention seeking. Rant over

"

Umm nope! There was not lots of space! The land-rover shd have stopped! Manners is all it takes! Both ways! X

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

The land rover was as far left on the tarmac as he could go..

It was a single track unclassified road...

Why are cyclists on it and why are they filming?

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"The land rover was as far left on the tarmac as he could go..

"

Because they have cams on their helmets for safety? And why in the world would they not b on a road? They are just as entitled to be as the land-rover?? And if he was as far left as he could b and not room to pass safely then he shd have stopped and waited like any other decent road user! X

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

If they are for safety then why did one pushbike end up in the ditch?!

over a year ago

"I class myself as a cyclist tho I do drive and am "into"cars too.

Umm nope! There was not lots of space! The land-rover shd have stopped! Manners is all it takes! Both ways! X"

Up where I live roads like this are full of cyclists every weekend. If you stopped for every cyclist you'd not get anywhere. The cyclist in the video was wearing clipped in pedals. When the rider infront stopped the second rider couldn't get her foot down and fell off. Clipped in pedals are great aslong as you don't get a surprise and have to pt your foot down in a hurry

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Because they have cams on their helmets for safety? And why in the world would they not b on a road? They are just as entitled to be as the land-rover?? And if he was as far left as he could b and not room to pass safely then he shd have stopped and waited like any other decent road user! X"

The bikes could have stopped also

over a year ago

Because they have cams on their helmets for safety? And why in the world would they not b on a road? They are just as entitled to be as the land-rover?? And if he was as far left as he could b and not room to pass safely then he shd have stopped and waited like any other decent road user! X

The bikes could have stopped also"

I actually think the leading rider caused all the bother. Why stop? Too protest most likely

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

Ah Tom is back in his safe place.....winding up motorists and other road users, perpetuating road wars that have raged for decades.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

". She fell because her feet were attached to the pedals which I find daft.

Gravity was not her friend that day.

"

As a roadie, lorry driver, car, driver and ex motorbike owner. I have a varied experience on the roads. I've only spent 10 minutes on a horse

If this was three horses, then the LR driver would/could/should have stopped, as they are kinder to horses than peasants on cycles, even if the bikes cost more than the horses or 2nd cars

So the LR could have stopped, let them pass and carried on, but didn't

As for clipless pedals, if you've ever been skiing, it's where they originated from (French manufacturer LOOK, early 80s). Being clipped in is much more efficient than just pushing down on the pedals, this means both legs can PULL up on the pedal strokes, save on muscle fatigue and increase power out put.

They take months of riding, before they become second nature and like horse riding, this balance/falling phobia can only be mastered on the roads.

Cyclists are equally as vulnerable as horses, yet those who hate cyclists would never treat hoerse like this and they know it.

The people who make the laws tend to have horses and cars, or alt least have a lot of friends who do.

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"Looking into it, he was charged with driving without due care and attention. Initially said he slowed right down for them, so he knew what he should have done.

On this occasion, the correct thing to do would have been to come to a stop to allow the cyclists to pass safely. It takes a couple of seconds and then everyone can continue their journey in safety."

Cyclists are not horses and nobody was hurt.

What's going on here guys ?"

Yes, obviously they are not horses, and it doesn't matter if they were hurt.

The law doesn't state it's fine to drive without due care and attention if no one gets hurt.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

The bikes could have stopped also"

Yes of course! If u read my comment much further up I suggest this as its what I do whilst out in countryside cycling! Have never had an incident in all my 50 odd years cycling most vehicle drivers are very respectful! And that is all it takes respect for each other! Which he clearly had none for these cyclists x

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Ah Tom is back in his safe place.....winding up motorists and other road users, perpetuating road wars that have raged for decades. "

So if they have raged for decades is Tom to blame ?

over a year ago

I actually think the leading rider caused all the bother. Why stop? Too protest most likely"

wait. Did the bikes stop or not?

Great thread Tom. More mileage than a land rover. Or a horse.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I actually think the leading rider caused all the bother. Why stop? Too protest most likelywait. Did the bikes stop or not?

Great thread Tom. More mileage than a land rover. Or a horse. "

This is not Toms thread..

It is a thread for the people...

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"Silly question but do cyclists take a driving test. Most cyclists I come across on the road seem to know what they are doing but there are a lot that don't. If the land rover was going to fast then he deserves a fine

Do they have insurance? Is it sensible to have your feet clipped in when you might have to slow down / stop? I'd argue the cyclist wasn't showing due care and attention after riding into the bike in front... Still... Good that the police service got involved.. I mean there's not much else they could be doing. "

Cyclists don't need insurance. The road traffic act states that only motorised vehicles must have a suitable amount of cover in place when using the roads, a bicycle has no engine, therefore doesn't need insurance.

If a cyclist is a member of a cycling group, you can get cover through them.

By *ob rodMan
over a year ago

lancaster

Do they have insurance? Is it sensible to have your feet clipped in when you might have to slow down / stop? I'd argue the cyclist wasn't showing due care and attention after riding into the bike in front... Still... Good that the police service got involved.. I mean there's not much else they could be doing. SPD pedals are quick release and super safe "

Been a cyclist for years and EVERYONE I know with clip in pedals has come off because of them at some point all down to cyclists leaving it to late to kick out and realise shoes human error

over a year ago

Do they have insurance? Is it sensible to have your feet clipped in when you might have to slow down / stop? I'd argue the cyclist wasn't showing due care and attention after riding into the bike in front... Still... Good that the police service got involved.. I mean there's not much else they could be doing. SPD pedals are quick release and super safe

Been a cyclist for years and EVERYONE I know with clip in pedals has come off because of them at some point all down to cyclists leaving it to late to kick out and realise shoes human error "

I've done 20,000+ miles of cycling in the last decade, and I've had a few wobbles where I have nearly gone over and failed to unclip, but yet to hit the deck because of it. Likewise, I've driven a lot of miles, and have missed the clutch, hit the brakes and accelerator at the same time, slipped off the brake pedal etc a few times in the last decade too.

over a year ago

Yes shit happens

over a year ago

Tom! Panini have lost the contract to make football stickers for Euro 24 and 28. Where is your outrage at this?

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Tom have you had many friends killed by dangerous driver's when riding bikes?

I've known two,I've known many who have been seriously injured including my son.

I have been forced off the road.

Remember a two ton car Vs skin and bones there's always only going to be one outcome.

Would you be complaining if it had been pedestrians walking and nearly run down.

How much difficulty was it for him to slow down for ten seconds?

Non.

No argument a fine is the minimum he should have received.

By *omer47Man
over a year ago

leigh

Perhaps we should be asking ourselves, not only who gave cyclist the priority on the roads, but what moron actually passed it to become law. Its totally ridiculous. They can ride 2 abreast while on mobile phone and the motorists still have to give way to them, but if a motorists is on his phone he'll be fined, and now there's a new law coming in that the passenger is also going to be fined if they are using a mobile phone. Better get my dash cam re fitted now.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Perhaps we should be asking ourselves, not only who gave cyclist the priority on the roads, but what moron actually passed it to become law. Its totally ridiculous. They can ride 2 abreast while on mobile phone and the motorists still have to give way to them, but if a motorists is on his phone he'll be fined, and now there's a new law coming in that the passenger is also going to be fined if they are using a mobile phone. Better get my dash cam re fitted now. "

Cyclists are not permitted to use mobile phones whilst cycling? X

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

"now there's a new law coming in that the passenger is also going to be fined if they are using a mobile phone. Better get my dash cam re fitted now. "

A passenger will only be fined if they’re supervising a learner, or are otherwise “in control” of a vehicle.

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

I've a really big 4x4 which is a work truck.

No speedboat, so when I come across cyclists, THEY either pull over and let me by, or get to listen to my monster rumbling loudly behind their skinny little asses.

Don't fall over, it takes a mile for me to stop!

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I've a really big 4x4 which is a work truck.

No speedboat, so when I come across cyclists, THEY either pull over and let me by, or get to listen to my monster rumbling loudly behind their skinny little asses.

Don't fall over, it takes a mile for me to stop! "

U are indeed a delight! x

By *argaret James200TV/TS
over a year ago

Birmingham

"The Northampton Chief of Police has fined a landrover driver after a cyclist deliberately filmed him on a head cam. The video circling has gone viral. I cannot see how the landrover could of driven any closer to his left. The lane was so narrow that one cyclist toppled into the ditch. Is this Justice? yes ! Some are absolutely dangerously vile to us "

I wonder why !.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"The Northampton Chief of Police has fined a landrover driver after a cyclist deliberately filmed him on a head cam. The video circling has gone viral. I cannot see how the landrover could of driven any closer to his left. The lane was so narrow that one cyclist toppled into the ditch. Is this Justice? yes ! Some are absolutely dangerously vile to us

I wonder why !. "

Because they are vile individuals? At a guess? X

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

Yes he should have slowed down he did drive too fast considering how narrow the road was and anyone with any decency would have slowed down but I don't believe it was his fault she fell off.The bike in front stopped and she tried to and lost her balance and fell off. So I don't think he should have gotten a fine but the fact he pleaded guilty means he knows he should have slowed down.

It shouldn't be that hard for people to use a bit of common sense and have respect for other road users .No one owns the roads and if people stopped acting like they do then it would be a lot safer place.

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I cannot believe the ignorant vile attitudes towards cyclist's.

I'm out of this thread before I say something I will regret.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I cannot believe the ignorant vile attitudes towards cyclist's.

I'm out of this thread before I say something I will regret.

"

It will allways b this way unfortunately! Don't know why? All it takes is respect from all road users? On the road and in life in general x

By *lectrumMan
over a year ago

south shields

All the gear and no idea,the silly woman in front caused her friend to stop suddenly that’s why she lost her balance,if they had of kept on going there would of been no issue

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"now there's a new law coming in that the passenger is also going to be fined if they are using a mobile phone. Better get my dash cam re fitted now.

A passenger will only be fined if they’re supervising a learner, or are otherwise “in control” of a vehicle.

"

Yes to this. Black belt barister on Youtube explains this perfectly.

If you are a driving instructor or a qualified driver and you are in charge of a leaner, then legally you are jointly responsible, as you are the eyes and ears.

Once the driver is qualified, then there is no need to supervise the driver, in the eyes of the law.

At this point any passenger can use a phone, fall asleep, eat, read a paper or a map. That is not illegal.

Beware of click bait and half read stories in the news.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"All the gear and no idea,the silly woman in front caused her friend to stop suddenly that’s why she lost her balance,if they had of kept on going there would of been no issue "

Umm nope he was coming towards them to fast on a narrow road! Just ignorant! Any considerate driver would have stopped or at least slowed down to give the cyclists a chance to stop and let him pass! Least that what happens when I'm out on my cycle on narrow roads! Lucky I've not met dangerous ignorance like this in all my cycling years x

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Do they have insurance? Is it sensible to have your feet clipped in when you might have to slow down / stop? I'd argue the cyclist wasn't showing due care and attention after riding into the bike in front... Still... Good that the police service got involved.. I mean there's not much else they could be doing.

Cyclists don't need insurance. The road traffic act states that only motorised vehicles must have a suitable amount of cover in place when using the roads, a bicycle has no engine, therefore doesn't need insurance.

If a cyclist is a member of a cycling group, you can get cover through them."

You don't legally need insurance as a cyclist, nor do you need to be part of a club, group or team Insurance does exist, but it is voluntary.

Most bike shops have these details to hand, as does British Cycling.

As for Driving tests, do you mean cycling proficiency tests? Then no, which is a shame.

Three times, I've had to come to a halt as I have had cyclists on mountain bikes, riding towards me on the double yellow lines (waiting for a head on collision). So I stopped ans asked what the hell was going on.

Comments given were:

"I was turning right so i can be on the right side of the road."

"What's your fucking problem?"

"My mum told me to do this!"

These bike owners should not be trusted with a shopping trolley, let alone a vehicle on the road.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Has it occurred to anyone that the jeep driver had brake failure...

over a year ago

"Has it occurred to anyone that the jeep driver had brake failure... "

No.

By *ickshawedCouple
over a year ago

Wolverhampton

"Has it occurred to anyone that the jeep driver had brake failure... "

In that hypothetical situation should he not be fined more for driving an unsafe and not roadworthy vehicle?

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Ah Tom is back in his safe place.....winding up motorists and other road users, perpetuating road wars that have raged for decades.

So if they have raged for decades is Tom to blame ?"

See.....half reading things again

By *m3232Man
over a year ago

maidenhead

I hate lots of bike riders but he was guilty of driving too fast too close to them.

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"All the gear and no idea,the silly woman in front caused her friend to stop suddenly that’s why she lost her balance,if they had of kept on going there would of been no issue "

He wasn't charged with making her fall off the bike. That is totally inconsequential.

He was charged with passing too close and fast. Which you can clearly see he did in the video.

over a year ago

Swansea

"All the gear and no idea,the silly woman in front caused her friend to stop suddenly that’s why she lost her balance,if they had of kept on going there would of been no issue

He wasn't charged with making her fall off the bike. That is totally inconsequential.

He was charged with passing too close and fast. Which you can clearly see he did in the video. "

Stop presenting facts and considered thought on the forum, it really isn't appreciated

Mr

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

The biggest surprise for me was the LandRover wasn’t at the side of the road with smoke pouring out and the owner sat on his phone phoning for a recovery truck

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"All the gear and no idea,the silly woman in front caused her friend to stop suddenly that’s why she lost her balance,if they had of kept on going there would of been no issue

He was charged with passing too close and fast. Which you can clearly see he did in the video.

Stop presenting facts and considered thought on the forum, it really isn't appreciated

Mr"

Umm... Err... Ok.

What if the Land Rover driver was a shark?!

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

Mr

Umm... Err... Ok.

What if the Land Rover driver was a shark?!"

Paul Sykes used to punch sharks in the ear hole (if you know you know)

over a year ago

There just making an example out of him now the rules have changed in the Highway Code.

I’m a avid cyclist and personally he was going a bit quick but if you read the road then you could of seen that from a distance and stopped and unclipped.

Plus the cyclist in front of her slammed on giving her no time to unclip.

Just an unfortunate accident that didn’t deserve a fine.

To swing it on the head I’ve seen loads of ebikes de restricted doing 30-40mph and not once has a copper pulled them over. As if they did by law the cyclist would be done for no insurance, no helmet, no number plate and way a bigger fine

By *arlomaleMan
over a year ago

darlington

Roads are for cars paths are for the nutters who walk or cycle when I’m out in my big gas guzzler dropping my brats off at school the last thing I want on the road whilst I’m texting or looking on the forums is some twat in Lycra and a silly plastic lid on their bonce in my way good job I’ve got a huge horn that scares them (joke obviously just give them the same courtesy you give people on horses it’s really simple )

By *vbiker2TV/TS
over a year ago

morpeth

Perhaps if the bike riders had been more skilled and followed the same rules that has been brought in for drivers or give them space this could have been avoided but the cyclists all seem to think that normal road rules and manners do not apply to them. I pass several cyclists every day on way to work and non of them obey the rules flashing front led lights .should be a constant light ride through red lights at xings weave through traffic and pass lgvs on near side

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Breaking news that a Baroness is campaigning to make using a mobile phone while riding a bike illegal .. apparently she was at a zebra crossing and one of these bicycle types was riding the wrong way down a one way street using a mobile phone ...

Post new Message to Thread