Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rich people

Jump to newest

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

When do you class someone as being rich?

What's your definition of a rich person?

For me I'd say.

Mortgage free,large detached house in own ground's.

A few hundred grand in the bank.

Shareholder in one or two major companies.

Awful taste in clothing and jewelry.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Going by your criteria I’m a third of the way to being rich but in my soul I’m already there.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Well I assume you mean mortgage free.

That doesn't mean rich it means hardworking.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Oh god before people start jumping up and down and have a tantrum.

Yes I realise many people without a mortgage who rent work hard as well.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I think when your at a point of total financial security (paying bills, costs etc without worry, debts or hardship), have money left over to spend on all the little treats in life witgout care and still accumulating capital. For me wealth isn't just what you earn, it's also how you use that wealth secure and constantly improve your life and surplus. Having loads of wealth and spending it all as soon as it comes isn't wealth to me. It just makes you no better of than someone on low income having to spend all their money, except you drive in a fancier car and have more expensive clothes. If that makes sense?

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Rich in humility kindness and spirit here

over a year ago

"I think when your at a point of total financial security (paying bills, costs etc without worry, debts or hardship), have money left over to spend on all the little treats in life witgout care and still accumulating capital. For me wealth isn't just what you earn, it's also how you use that wealth secure and constantly improve your life and surplus. Having loads of wealth and spending it all as soon as it comes isn't wealth to me. It just makes you no better of than someone on low income having to spend all their money, except you drive in a fancier car and have more expensive clothes. If that makes sense?"

Makes sense to me.

over a year ago

"When do you class someone as being rich?

For me I'd say.

Awful taste in clothing and jewelry. "

All this. Especially the shit taste in clothes and jewellery.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Having enough money to do exactly as you please without thinking. Car breaks down? Fix it. Unseasonably cold? Put the heating on. All your children need school shoes and coats at once? No problem, take them to the shops and buy them

over a year ago

"Having enough money to do exactly as you please without thinking. Car breaks down? Fix it. Unseasonably cold? Put the heating on. All your children need school shoes and coats at once? No problem, take them to the shops and buy them"

Yes all of this! But also I think things like whether they own property, will inherit property and things like that.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

[Removed by poster at 05/04/22 08:52:30]

over a year ago

Resisted the urge to quote Bob Marley here at first but the urge is too strong so

‘Possession makes you rich?’

By *osweet69Couple
over a year ago

portsmouth

True wealth comes in many forms.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

For me I'd say.

Add a couple of classic cars and that is my sister, didn't realise you knew her

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Having enough money to do exactly as you please without thinking. Car breaks down? Fix it. Unseasonably cold? Put the heating on. All your children need school shoes and coats at once? No problem, take them to the shops and buy them

Yes all of this! But also I think things like whether they own property, will inherit property and things like that. "

Being really rich materially to me is having assets like property, classic cars, gold etc and easily accessible cash. Owning stuff is great but it won't cut the mustard at the checkout in Fortnum and Masons you need cash or credit for that . For me being rich means having purchasing power.

Of course being materially rich isn't the same as being spiritually rich but the two aren't mutually exclusive.

over a year ago

A bit like pleasure and happiness, I think rich and wealthy are differing things for some people. I would say somebody is rich in purely a financial sense if they have a large disposable income with secure assets / investments / savings etc. Various subjective factors like age, relationship, dependents and so on but essentially if someone is going year on year without having to think about finances, they could be classed as rich. It’s difficult as there are people who appear rich who are in dire positions and people who are extremely frugal who technically don’t have to be that way etc.

In the current world, it is also a different financial climate for many too. I do feel sorry for the younger generation now, and of course many others.

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

A rich person is someone who can afford luxaries, like paying for gas, electric, a weeks food shop, and rent.

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS
over a year ago

chichester

Someone that earns over 100k a year and no mortgage/ car finance is what I class as rich .

I have a couple friends that are outrageously rich but quite moaning/ unhappy with life in general. (15/63mil wealth and one is 38 other is 48 yrs old )

Quite interesting really to see that , guess once you can buy anything / have all the cars / material nonsense the money can become dull if nothing else to share it with

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I recently met up with some people I'd known as a school aged teenager. It transpired during the course of conversation that they thought I came from a very rich family. Their reasons were my mum didn't work, we lived in a big, detached house, I was able to go to college rather than straight into work. We weren't even close to rich

over a year ago

Bruce wayne rich or richie rich rich

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Depends what sort of lifestyle they have and how much material possesions are actually owned by them (rather than bank).

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

Anyone who have more money than me , who can afford work max 4 days a week without picking up extra shifts to pay all bills , enjoying holidays, and life without to worry too much with the end of the month

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

For me I'd say.

Red trousers?

By *agerMorganMan
over a year ago

Canvey Island

“Shareholder in one or two major companies.“

Guess I’m rich then given I own shares in a few major companies

Just need the house, a few hundred grand in the bank and a fancy car or two to complete the “look”

By *rMojoRisinMan
over a year ago

Sheffield

Interesting that you see rich as a financial affair.

“Some people are so poor, all they have is money.”

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Interesting that you see rich as a financial affair.

"

I think most of us think of being rich in financial terms although I did differentiate between material and spiritual wealth.

With regard to your final quote I believe it's possible to be financially and spiritually wealthy.

By *nliveneTV/TS
over a year ago

Selby

"Interesting that you see rich as a financial affair.

"

I think i'm twice as poor because i don't have money also

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I think rich people can have mortgages. Especially if it's a massive one.

To me, if you can drop a few hundred quid without having to check your finances or budget for it (and it's not because you've just won it on a scratchcard or something) then you're rich

over a year ago

For me I'd say.

Am definitely not rich so

By *egasus NobMan
over a year ago

Merton

When you don't have to worry about bills, or you earn over 75K after tax year after year without having to think about finances, you are rich.

over a year ago

I know if l were rich I'd die poor cause I'd give it all away , money is the greatest scourge on this earth , l have what l have and need it simply because it is a nessacary evil , you can't get by in this World if you don't have it , all you have to do is look at the amount of people that you have to give it to ,wether it's fuel, food , concerts, travel , rent , car , banks ,cinema,pubs, they all want it and it's the only currency they deal in , that's the way this World works.

By *ev257Man
over a year ago

cardiff

Depending on what you call rich??

A quote from Bob Marley (I think it was).

Some people are so poor, the only thing they have in money.

And that is very true.

As long as you got enough to get by n still be happy n content with your life then you are rich.

20 years ago the wife n I was just getting by in life, us n our 2 kinds n they were the happiest time.

Now 20 years on I'm 56, retired, kids left home, 2 buy to let properties n financially secure, n I would swap n go back 20 years in a heartbeat if I could.

It's not all about money n what you acquire in life, enjoy the little things.

over a year ago

"Depending on what you call rich??

A quote from Bob Marley (I think it was).

Some people are so poor, the only thing they have in money.

And that is very true.

As long as you got enough to get by n still be happy n content with your life then you are rich.

20 years ago the wife n I was just getting by in life, us n our 2 kinds n they were the happiest time.

Now 20 years on I'm 56, retired, kids left home, 2 buy to let properties n financially secure, n I would swap n go back 20 years in a heartbeat if I could.

It's not all about money n what you acquire in life, enjoy the little things."

By *eliWoman
over a year ago

Financially rich? Able to afford luxury items/holidays without them being put on credit (unless that's to get points etc). Good savings, earn a substantial amount - 150k a year and above, large disposable income from that (even if they have a mortgage, school fees etc, still substantial disposable). Maybe additional property but not a prerequisite. I think what we view as rich will vary a lot depending on our life experiences and where we are financially.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Crikey it just shows you how these thread's morph into something else

I wasn't really looking for a philosophical debate regards wealth Vs happiness.

I was litterly wondering what people think as to when someone is classed as rich.

Money rich not spiritual rich.

I mean we all know that money doesn't by happiness all rich people seem to do is moan.

But as the gulf between the haves and have nots,even as recently as 5 years ago someone classed as "rich" by todays standards would probably only be in the "well off"

Bracket.

Me personally I'd rather be a have than have not.

Worked hard all my life struggling to make end's meet since a wee nipper.

I'd like to be able to make sure my family are taken care of forever and have enough to be extremely comfortable but have the ability to help others.

In all honesty that's what I would class as rich.

Problem is most rich people are tight arses.well from my side experience anyway.

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"

Problem is most rich people are tight arses.well from my side experience anyway."

The reason they tend to be rich is because they don’t tend to spend that much. The richest people I know tend to downplay their wealth. They generally don’t need to show it off. If you are flashing it around (fancy car, expensive clothes, jewellery etc) then I think that makes you stand out as someone who is trying too hard and therefore you probably don’t have as much wealth as you want people to think you do.

Post new Message to Thread