Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The cost of having the tv on standby

Jump to newest

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I read on the news that as the living cost increases, everything adds up and did you know that it will cos about an extra £11 a year? I take it that it is more or less the same cost of most devices. I always turn it off, what about you?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I read on the news that as the living cost increases, everything adds up and did you know that it will cos about an extra £11 a year? I take it that it is more or less the same cost of most devices. I always turn it off, what about you? "

Tempted .... but won't say it! X

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

My television is permanently off.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

"I read on the news that as the living cost increases, everything adds up and did you know that it will cos about an extra £11 a year? I take it that it is more or less the same cost of most devices. I always turn it off, what about you? "

Thats £11 I would otherwise spend on clothing wear snd tear as I get up to turn it on/off.

over a year ago

Definitely not 11 pound a year

Lower than that

I have a tv that is considered one off the most power hungry tvs in the world

And when the hole house is on stand by I only use 3p a hour and that includeds a 350watt tv

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

No never.

over a year ago

We’ve lost the remote for ours so can only control it with our phones. If we turned it off properly it’s would be a real struggle to turn back on.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I read on the news that as the living cost increases, everything adds up and did you know that it will cos about an extra £11 a year? I take it that it is more or less the same cost of most devices. I always turn it off, what about you?

Tempted .... but won't say it! X"

That is good

over a year ago

All electrical items in my house are switched off at the wall when not in use, except obviously the fridge and my alarm clock

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"My television is permanently off.

"

That is also good .

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

I thought about this the other day. I goto bed early, so record quite a bit over night. And it won't if I turn it off. However, I turned my phone onto "always on show". So the clock shows over night when charging. I've now unplugged my alram clock radio. 50 % saving in my book. Why have both running, when I only need one. No other electrics in bedroom. Win.

By *aomilatteCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

We'd rather pay £11 pounds a year than keep switching it off and on. Have you seen all the schools and offices with hundreds of lights on all night long?

By *ighty_tightyMan
over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"All electrical items in my house are switched off at the wall when not in use, except obviously the fridge and my alarm clock "

You have a mains powered alarm clock?

over a year ago

"All electrical items in my house are switched off at the wall when not in use, except obviously the fridge and my alarm clock

You have a mains powered alarm clock? "

Sits on my bedside table

By *ighty_tightyMan
over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

Would this be the same article that claims bigger TVs use more standby power too

By *exysoul888TV/TS
over a year ago

Newcastle

This is a quote from Ofgem, about the cost of having electrical appliances on standby

'Vampire appliances' which drain power even when you are not using them can add almost £300 a year to your energy bill'

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

"I read on the news that as the living cost increases, everything adds up and did you know that it will cos about an extra £11 a year? I take it that it is more or less the same cost of most devices. I always turn it off, what about you?

Thats £11 I would otherwise spend on clothing wear snd tear as I get up to turn it on/off."

Yes, that is something else to spend it on too

over a year ago

£1.75 for every 10 mins in the shower

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Definitely not 11 pound a year

Lower than that

And when the hole house is on stand by I only use 3p a hour and that includeds a 350watt tv "

Whole house in standby for a year at 3p per hour is £262.08

By *uckslut and MCouple
over a year ago

The Attic - Derby.

"We'd rather pay £11 pounds a year than keep switching it off and on. Have you seen all the schools and offices with hundreds of lights on all night long?"

Yes, but I don't pay their bill. . I'd rather save the £11 and spend it on food for my kids.

By *bi HaiveMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Cheeseville, Somerset

Lower than that

And when the hole house is on stand by I only use 3p a hour and that includeds a 350watt tv

Whole house in standby for a year at 3p per hour is £262.08"

Yep!

A

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

The only things that don't get turned off at the plug in my house are the fridge freezer and wi-fi router.

over a year ago

"The only things that don't get turned off at the plug in my house are the fridge freezer and wi-fi router.

"

Does your fridge send many emails at night.

over a year ago

Lower than that

Whole house in standby for a year at 3p per hour is £262.08"

May well be but we’re talks just the tv it’s self witch I am calling bs on as I have a 8k power hunger tv

And can gartee it’s not useing 11 pounds a year on stand by

over a year ago

Lower than that

May well be but we’re talks just the tv it’s self witch I am calling bs on as I have a 8k power hunger tv

And can gartee it’s not useing 11 pounds a year on stand by "

What the hell kind of tv uses 8kwh? Even the old huge Plasmas did not use a 1/4 of that!

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

Some tech, smart TVs in particular, rely on periods of standby to do updates. Turning them off can mean that those updates (and the checks for them) are carried out when you power them back up, which can mean a wait of several minutes before you can start watching. Obviously, this is more, or less of an inconvenience depending on your individual priorities; however, for me, I’m generally happy with the cost of 3p a day (£11 a year) for the convenience of it just coming on when I want it to.

There’s a lot of well meant, but misunderstood or misrepresented advice going around at the moment. Some costs are unavoidable, some savings are more aggro than they’re worth and others mean you may well save money in the short term, but risk exposure to an unintended expense that could well outweigh any savings if you’re unlucky.

No point turning the heating off entirely if the system fails through lack of use, or a frozen pipe, costing several times the savings for instance.

Biggest savings are through turning thermostats down (to 19° or 20°). It costs exponentially more to raise the temperature of a house every degree above that. We are all different, but my house is comfortable enough for me at anything above 18°. I have elderly relatives living here though, and they keep turning it up. Turning the boiler temperature down to about 60° helps too.

Switching off unused lights or appliances certainly makes a difference, but it’s cutting consumption and breaking habits that make the biggest difference: A quick shower rather than a long soak. Washing clothes at lower temperatures. Not using hot water for unnecessary stuff like washing cars, or running loads off just to fill a bowl to wash a mug and a plate.

over a year ago

What about things like Sonos speakers. A large collection of those is going to add up to quite a bit on standby. They’re designed to be always on.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

[Removed by poster at 04/04/22 15:07:57]

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Everything off at the wall (switchable sockets) except for fridge, router and boiler last thing before bed.

over a year ago

I started turning the TV off at the mains again, but I have the PS4 and my speakers all plugged into the same extension. So basically, I'm turning three things that would be trickling electricity into them for no reason. Trying to get on ball with chargers too, but they're easier to forget

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

Lower than that

And can gartee it’s not useing 11 pounds a year on stand by "

Lower than £11 per year? Let's say your TV cost £9 per year in standby, the hourly charge over 12 months would be 0.001p per hour or 1/100th of a penny per hour.

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

"What about things like Sonos speakers. A large collection of those is going to add up to quite a bit on standby. They’re designed to be always on. "

They use a very small amount of electricity when on standby. As you say, they are designed to be on all the time, and turning them off means loads of mucking about when you do want to use them. I suppose it depends on just how much you prioritise convenience over cost. There’s also the tech with rechargeable stuff, like games controllers and the like, that if you turn it off at the mains you’ll find it will all be flat when you go to use it.

It would be interesting to see the resting/standby costs of a typical house. My household costs about 6p an hour at night when the only demands are fridge, router, standby items, phones charging etc. I genuinely don’t know that it’s worth trying to save a penny or two an hour turning stuff off we use everyday, but it’s certainly worth switching off the things you use infrequently.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I don't do enough of it . But will be doing more.

How costly is a router - anyone know? Perhaps that could go off, more often.

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 04/04/22 15:30:16]

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

"What about things like Sonos speakers. A large collection of those is going to add up to quite a bit on standby. They’re designed to be always on.

They use a very small amount of electricity when on standby. As you say, they are designed to be on all the time, and turning them off means loads of mucking about when you do want to use them. I suppose it depends on just how much you prioritise convenience over cost. There’s also the tech with rechargeable stuff, like games controllers and the like, that if you turn it off at the mains you’ll find it will all be flat when you go to use it.

It would be interesting to see the resting/standby costs of a typical house. My household costs about 6p an hour at night when the only demands are fridge, router, standby items, phones charging etc. I genuinely don’t know that it’s worth trying to save a penny or two an hour turning stuff off we use everyday, but it’s certainly worth switching off the things you use infrequently.

"

If your items are in standby and drawing 6p per hour. If your times are in standby for 8 hours a day it will cost you £174.72 per year

By *ighty_tightyMan
over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"This is a quote from Ofgem, about the cost of having electrical appliances on standby

'Vampire appliances' which drain power even when you are not using them can add almost £300 a year to your energy bill'"

Who the feck has 25 TVs on standby?

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

"If your items are in standby and drawing 6p per hour. If your times are in standby for 8 hours a day it will cost you £174.72 per year"

Absolutely.

My point was that I need to try and work out what of that 6p an hour we need to have on.

Some of it is going to be counterproductive to turn it off (fridge, freezer, boiler, stuff that charges overnight, etc).

Some of it’s worth having turned on because of convenience (landing light, a 2w LED, that saves stubbed toes and trips on the stairs leaving for work in the dark, the aforementioned TV on standby etc).

And yes, absolutely, some of it could get turned off.

However, if the necessities make up 4p of that 6p per hour then one just has to accept that.

If the conveniences are 1p an hour, then that’s £87 a year one decides to spend.

It’s the unnecessary you’re trying to cut out, that and the stuff you’re unaware you’re using. Forgot you’ve left the light on in the loft for a month? An 80w striplight will have cost you over £17 to run constantly for that time. My poxy father in law keeps leaving the workshop lights on, three of the aforementioned 80w strip lights cost about 7p an hour, or £1.67 a day. I could save more money by shooting the old cunt than I can by turning off my tv overnight.

over a year ago

I'm just gonna marry a rich old guy and leave everything switched on.

over a year ago

Sometimes I leave my blender on just for background noise.

By *exysoul888TV/TS
over a year ago

Newcastle

"This is a quote from Ofgem, about the cost of having electrical appliances on standby

'Vampire appliances' which drain power even when you are not using them can add almost £300 a year to your energy bill'

Who the feck has 25 TVs on standby?"

It's not just TVs lol. Phone chargers, smart speakers, home cinema speakers (Sonos etc) soundboard, blu ray players, hi-fi's etc

over a year ago

Lower than that

What the hell kind of tv uses 8kwh? Even the old huge Plasmas did not use a 1/4 of that! "

350 watts is a 8k 7680?×?4320 resolution other wise know as 8k

By *lex46TV/TS
over a year ago

Near Wells

I enjoy spending money on things I like, new lady clothes, motorbikes etc. I hate spending money on essential boring things, electricity, Bank charges etc.

Even 3p a day is still spending unnecessary in my book, I've always turned everything off at the plug and never leave lights on if I don't need them.

At the moment, the log burner is heating up the room with pallets chopped up a few weeks ago free from work.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

over a year ago

"I enjoy spending money on things I like, new lady clothes, motorbikes etc. I hate spending money on essential boring things, electricity, Bank charges etc.

Even 3p a day is still spending unnecessary in my book, I've always turned everything off at the plug and never leave lights on if I don't need them.

At the moment, the log burner is heating up the room with pallets chopped up a few weeks ago free from work. "

No longer have a log burner, but was told by the installer when we had one not to use any chemically created wood (inc Pallets) as they can create toxic fumes when burnt. So worth checking as such pallets will have a stamp on them.

over a year ago

Lower than that

What the hell kind of tv uses 8kwh? Even the old huge Plasmas did not use a 1/4 of that!

350 watts is a 8k 7680?×?4320 resolution other wise know as 8k

"

Sorry should have known better. Misread thinking that it consumed 8kwh doh!

350w is quite low though. Modem large panels are efficient. Our 77 OLED uses less than half what the 60” Plasma used to use. The modern ones use only a couple of Watts in standby too which is a big change.

over a year ago

I turn a lot off. Tv included.

By *vbride1963TV/TS
over a year ago

E.K . Glasgow

I'm personally more turned on at night than during the day .

By *ssex_tomMan
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Tom has taken the light bulb in out of his fridge to save energy.. if he opens the fridge at night he just turns the kitchen light on and as he days.. look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves

By *inx.x3Woman
over a year ago

Bath

Might have to start turning mine off.

I have 5 TVs in the house and they are never switched off at the plug

By *oteyetieMan
over a year ago

Galashiels

"We’ve lost the remote for ours so can only control it with our phones. If we turned it off properly it’s would be a real struggle to turn back on.

"

Maybe time to get a new telly or buy a replacement remote

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Lower than that

And when the hole house is on stand by I only use 3p a hour and that includeds a 350watt tv "

That’s £262 a year so £11 sounds quite low for one TV. What else is on using all that ?

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Tempted .... but won't say it! X"

You're a better person than I am... IT'S ALL OVER THE NEWS!!!

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

Not read the hole thread but you could put a router on a time clock

But don't know if the time clock would use much less then the router.

For me it's about cutting back on alcohol. Most will moan about £11 on a TV being on but still have a bottle of wine.

By *hagTonight OP   Man
over a year ago

over a year ago

I watched an Sunderland match on our TV 90 + minutes for £1.56 . It would have been cheaper to have bought a ticket and went

over a year ago

In the past there was legislation to force manufacturers to provide a mechanical on/off switch to prevent high consumption on standby.

That legislation has gone because modern sets consume tiny amounts of power in standby.

If your set has a switch - use it.

Otherwise leave it be.

Post new Message to Thread