Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Halloween

Jump to newest

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

A little boy came up to me yesterday with a ghost mask on i told him how scary he was and hoped i didnt bump into him as id be so scared id have to give him a biscuit (his dad was there) he took his mask of and went of beaming.

So do you think its just a bit of fun for kids or do you think its more sinister.

Ps. Im talking about for young children up to about 11 not teenagers scaring old women just the tradition for little ones

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

My little one is loving it all.. got a few parties to go too

over a year ago

Halloween is about so much more than trick or treating for me as a pagan. But I'm happy to take my little ones out, I like to think of it as a lot of fun x

over a year ago

I think it stared as a bit of fun and is meant to be fun for young children but some people can't help jumping on the bandwagon and spoiling it. My 42 year old neighbour knocked on my door with a _iew to terrifying my 9 year old, then it ceased to be fun and nearly became a murder charge!!!

over a year ago

I think it's another one of them things that's turning into an excuse for a piss up for many an adult.

Oh we've got to go out, it's :

Christmas

Boxing Day

New Year

Easter

A Bank Holiday

Bonfire night

etc etc

Somehow dressing in a silly outfit and a wig justifies the piss up

Humbug anyone ?

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I am not keen on the idea of teaching kids that it is ok to demand money. I dont havea problem with young kids going from house to house within their own community and sweets and stuff being handed out. I do have a problem with teenagers and older people coming round demanding money...

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

"I think it's another one of them things that's turning into an excuse for a piss up for many an adult.

Oh we've got to go out, it's :

Christmas

Boxing Day

New Year

Easter

A Bank Holiday

Bonfire night

etc etc

Somehow dressing in a silly outfit and a wig justifies the piss up

Humbug anyone ?"

Interesting, for me Christmas, Easter, Bank holidays etc have never been a reason to get d*unk - it is not how I was brought up. I enjoy a drink or two but not because of a certain date in the calendar.

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

I am always amazed by people just letting their kids out and it seems to be okay to go knocking on a strangers doors. I am a man living alone in a detached house and my front and back door are not visible for all to see. Some say they are told to ask to come in and either sing a song or tell a poem for a treat. Sad but in this day and age, I am very wary.

I am going to leave a tub of sweets on the step and not answer the door.

over a year ago

"I am always amazed by people just letting their kids out and it seems to be okay to go knocking on a strangers doors. I am a man living alone in a detached house and my front and back door are not visible for all to see. Some say they are told to ask to come in and either sing a song or tell a poem for a treat. Sad but in this day and age, I am very wary.

I am going to leave a tub of sweets on the step and not answer the door."

So any kids coming round after the first ones will just find an empty tub then ?

Expect some shit thru your letterbox

over a year ago

"I am always amazed by people just letting their kids out and it seems to be okay to go knocking on a strangers doors. I am a man living alone in a detached house and my front and back door are not visible for all to see. Some say they are told to ask to come in and either sing a song or tell a poem for a treat. Sad but in this day and age, I am very wary.

So any kids coming round after the first ones will just find an empty tub then ?

Expect some shit thru your letterbox "

over a year ago

My children when they were younger used to go from my mums to my sisters and their friends houses with one of us attached.

I never used to mind giving sweets out to the other children...... But when you have parents sending their kids out to others houses and refusing to answer the door to other little ones it's unfair.

Now we have our grandchildren no sure what they will do this year as they would love to join in 3 &5 but will only be looking for decorated doors xx

Plus someone will be in at ours to hand out sweets too

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

Expect some shit thru your letterbox "

aye good point.... I will top up the box and set traps

cheers

By *iamondsmiles. OP   Woman
over a year ago

little house on the praire

I am going to leave a tub of sweets on the step and not answer the door."

Do you know i did that one year, and when i looked only half the tub had gone, so i knew some had been round. But i like to see them dressed up so i put a pumpkin on the doorstep, some bugger knicked that one year though

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

Halloween gives me the willies.

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Was never allowed to go trick or treating, as my parents saw it as begging and annoying people.

I do like it when little ones come trick or treating, so long as they are with an adult. Hate seeing kids out on their own.

I made the mistake one year of running out of sweets, biscuits etc and ended up giving them 50p, they all swapped masks etc and got a load of cash out of me before I realised what they had done

over a year ago

I was going to a party one year and was in full witch outfit with a long warty nose and scary contact lenses. I answered the door to a little girl aged about 3 and her mum. The little girl screamed and started wailing. I felt terrible.

Mind you good job I was dressed up as my natural look might have been even scarier

over a year ago

A freshly culled sacrificial goat hanging above the door has always deterred trick or treaters from visiting my home. It's a god damn Pagan festival after all and i am just exercising my right to free expression

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I miss the days of penny for the Guy.

over a year ago

I always get sweets in as the younger kids round here do the rounds on Halloween. Their parents always go with them. I like it as it's a neighbourly party atmosphere. They know which houses not to go to, such as elderly people etc.

I don't like the older kids doing it. I do sometimes leave some sweets on the step when it gets late and I can't be bothered opening the door anymore.

over a year ago

I hate the whole Halloween door knocking thing, always have done, dressing up adult parties, fund raising etc, great, but the kids and the door knocking drives me nuts. There are no children living in the immediate area around me, so gawd knows where the little darlings spring from on Halloween!?

Glad to see that many of the local police forces are doing there bit for the grumpy buggers like me, by producing a poster which you can display to keep the Trick or Treaters at bay (google em)

By *ighly ProfessionalMan
over a year ago

peterborough

I got my Halloween costume ready. A glittery track suit, blinde wig, bling and a Cigar that should scare the little fkers

By *empting Devil.Woman
over a year ago

Sheffield

I miss mischief night.

Noone celebrates it anymore.

Though I don't miss hollowing out a turnip for a lantern - those buggers are hard!

over a year ago

We've held parties for the kids over the past few years, trad games, lots of silliness

Now my daughter's getting older she wants to go trick or treating with her friends more .... Amazing how much they manage to bring.back

over a year ago

"I got my Halloween costume ready. A glittery track suit, blinde wig, bling and a Cigar that should scare the little fkers"

But kids these days will have no idea who Liberace is!

By *orkieMan
over a year ago

Who knows

"I got my Halloween costume ready. A glittery track suit, blinde wig, bling and a Cigar that should scare the little fkers"

Now then now then ow's about that then

Post new Message to Thread