Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Snobs, chaves, working class, Done well at school,

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Why do people have to knock others for who thay are? And at times what thay do. When dont fit in there little boxes ?? Why is it if you work hard your slagged off for it but in USA places its fine to do well ? Why do others have hang-ups about others .? I think lifes what you make it.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

this world delivers the cruelest of blows to people from all walks of life, we never know what the years ahead will bring.........

people may have things one day, gone the next.

work hard, be proud, help others who may need a hand up to go on and achieve great things & celebrate what you have achieved with the ones you love.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

similar question rased in "snobbery" thread posted i think it same questions and same answers to some extent ishhh

over a year ago

"similar question rased in "snobbery" thread posted i think it same questions and same answers to some extent ishhh "
why cant people just be who thay are ?

over a year ago

I will always knock a scumbag chav and spongers. Should we just accept them? Unfortunately I live next to a fair few who make the rest of our lives a misery so I am far from accepting

over a year ago

"this world delivers the cruelest of blows to people from all walks of life, we never know what the years ahead will bring.........

work hard, be proud, help others who may need a hand up to go on and achieve great things & celebrate what you have achieved with the ones you love.

"

Amen to that

Wolf

By *iker BullMan
over a year ago

leeds

"similar question rased in "snobbery" thread posted i think it same questions and same answers to some extent ishhh why cant people just be who thay are ?"
possibly because for some reason they may think people will think more of them if they are,this or that or what ever,and try to be what they percieve people like,or impresses

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"this world delivers the cruelest of blows to people from all walks of life, we never know what the years ahead will bring.........

"

Great post!

over a year ago

"similar question rased in "snobbery" thread posted i think it same questions and same answers to some extent ishhh why cant people just be who thay are ? possibly because for some reason they may think people will think more of them if they are,this or that or what ever,and try to be what they percieve people like,or impresses"
people are who they are no matter what thay have or dont . In hospital yesterday it bring thing to new levels when you see old and young so ill ...

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"similar question rased in "snobbery" thread posted i think it same questions and same answers to some extent ishhh why cant people just be who thay are ? possibly because for some reason they may think people will think more of them if they are,this or that or what ever,and try to be what they percieve people like,or impresses people are who they are no matter what thay have or dont . In hospital yesterday it bring thing to new levels when you see old and young so ill ... "
Some people live in a bubble Jo, some people like people to think they are educated when they are not, some people are the other end of the spectrum and say they are not educated when they are, some do it so they get better thought of, some people play for the sympathy vote.

Some people battle with tragedy, illness, and life experiences that change them as a person, some people say they do.

Its not rocket science, its human nature it seems.

over a year ago

"

yes _iew best post of year for me here on fab. x

over a year ago

Some people are paper smart, some people are street smart.

If both work at the same place or hang out in the same circle of friends, what have they achieved?

They are both in the same place with the same people, doing the same things.

It shouldn't matter, but, it does to.some people.

Me, I've got people from all walks of life that I class as friends, nobody looks down on anyone else but we have a different _iew of the world and these _iews are accepted as opinions and nothing more, just as it should be.

over a year ago

Hi, just to answer your rant about spongers. I worked hard all my life, had a bike accident so can't do so now but my wife works to support us. STILL PEOPLE STILL LOOK AT ME AS A SCROUNGER JUST BECAUSE I'M IN A WHEELCHAIR. stop picking on people less fortunate than yourselves and remember IT COULD BE YOUR TURN if some idiot on the road does to you what they did to me lol!

By *eeriseWoman
over a year ago

Manchester and that's all you need to know

I class myself as average as I have a job and mortgage...I don't see the need to advertise myself on here as a professional as I don't engage in pendant conversation.

I would never judge someone or think someone is below my level because I have seen many people loose there job's and homes due to the credit crunch.

over a year ago

"

The Protestant work ethic rears its head again.... there is nothing virtuous about working. It is simply what we do in order to survive. Personally I wouldn't work if I didn't need to.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

The Protestant work ethic rears its head again.... there is nothing virtuous about working. It is simply what we do in order to survive. Personally I wouldn't work if I didn't need to."

I don't work in order to survive, if you do personally then that's your life and you are living it the way you want to.

I work to enjoy a better life, to be able to afford the lifestyle that I personally enjoy.

We are not all the same.....well worth remembering the power and rights of the individual.

over a year ago

George Orwell wrote that England is the most class ridden society under the sun but that as with so many things English there is an hypocrisy and a dishonesty in that people won't talk about it and good illustrations of this are that we talk of 'working class people' when we mean 'lower class' and 'standard class' on the trains when we mean 'second class'.

A person's socio economic class in this country is immediately obvious from the way they walk and talk, from the clothes they wear, the cars they drive and even their names.

Snobbery is rife. The upper classes look down on the middle classes. The upper middle classes look down on the middle middle classes, the middle middle classes look down on the lower middle classes and laugh at them for saying 'pardon' instead of 'sorry'. The lower middle classes look down on the lower classes and the upper and middle lower classes look down on the lower lower classes or lumpenproletarians and call them 'chavs'.

Then there is inverted snobbery where each class pooh poohs the class above it.

The hypocrisy and dishonesty of the English never fails to arouse in me a contempt for them.

over a year ago

The Protestant work ethic rears its head again.... there is nothing virtuous about working. It is simply what we do in order to survive. Personally I wouldn't work if I didn't need to.

I don't work in order to survive, if you do personally then that's your life and you are living it the way you want to.

I work to enjoy a better life, to be able to afford the lifestyle that I personally enjoy.

We are not all the same.....well worth remembering the power and rights of the individual."

Well you have clearly failed to understand my point. Incidentally, do you know what the Protestant work ethic is or what its origins are?

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

The Protestant work ethic rears its head again.... there is nothing virtuous about working. It is simply what we do in order to survive. Personally I wouldn't work if I didn't need to."

Use my words in any way you wish, all the best

By *ouchmeslowlyMan
over a year ago

or near Lynn and Norwich

I was always told empty vessils make most noise !! and i dont think thats far from being wrong . people who shout the most about what they have or dont have infact very little worth shouting about ,,, I tend to work hard to play hard , and most people are happy with that ,, why must others comment on thing which have feck all to do with them .

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Gosh, isn't it a lovely day??

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

I couldn't care less for protestant work ethics or any other sociologists theories, I live my life by my own values and beliefs and not by those of any other person.

As I said before, my (our) work ethic and it's subsequent rewards in life are an individual choice and have very little impact upon anyone else apart from me and mine....

I relate to my (our) own actions and not to theories of scholars.

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

isnt it the role of a sponger and a scrounger to keep the strivers in fear that one day it might be them workless ? The truth is we have never had full employment in this country and we never will. Apparently there are 8 peeps chasing every job. So are the 7 that dont get the job spongers and scroungers ? Do the strivers moan about spongers and scroungers because they are jealous or is it an attempt to raise self esteem ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Gosh, isn't it a lovely day?? "

What right have you got to say that ?

Just leave the day to be what it wants to be.

What about all the other days? Are you saying that they were not lovely ?

over a year ago

"isnt it the role of a sponger and a scrounger to keep the strivers in fear that one day it might be them workless ? The truth is we have never had full employment in this country and we never will. Apparently there are 8 peeps chasing every job. So are the 7 that dont get the job spongers and scroungers ? Do the strivers moan about spongers and scroungers because they are jealous or is it an attempt to raise self esteem ?"

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

I don't know how to answer this one as for me it has nothing to do with how well they do, but more with how they carry themselves.

A stereotypical "chav" who turned up for a meet in tracksuit bottoms and a hat, who gobbed all over the floor "Spoak lyyk dis, init?" and expected to smoke a spliff in my house wouldn't get any play from me, for example.

But anyone who is polite and respectful of themselves and others would, no matter what their employment status or educational history, ect.

...I've confused myself here now... - What was the question again?

- Amy. x

over a year ago

"Hi, just to answer your rant about spongers. I worked hard all my life, had a bike accident so can't do so now but my wife works to support us. STILL PEOPLE STILL LOOK AT ME AS A SCROUNGER JUST BECAUSE I'M IN A WHEELCHAIR. stop picking on people less fortunate than yourselves and remember IT COULD BE YOUR TURN if some idiot on the road does to you what they did to me lol!"
the people who are my neighbours consist of very young single mothers who knock out kid after kid and have never worked, lowlifes who have just been released from prison and they spend their days and evenings drinking and arguing and generally making my life a misery. Nowhere in my thread did I mention people with disabilities who are unable to work. My dad has been unable to work for the last 25 years due to a disability and I have a severely disabled nephew. So before tou judge me for my judgements maybe you should have asked me to clarify who I was referring to. I understand that it isn't easy with the recession and people have been made unemployed. I wasn't referring to those people, I was referring to the lazy, long term unemployed who could work but cant be arsed to. And before I get shot down again by any single moms, I am a single mom, worked since I was 16, had 6 months maternity leave and have worked ever since so it can be done! If I'm a snob for despising the lazy arsed scroungers who just think they are entitled to benefits then yes I am!

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"Gosh, isn't it a lovely day??

What right have you got to say that ?

Just leave the day to be what it wants to be.

What about all the other days? Are you saying that they were not lovely ?"

Oh, every day is equally lovely and has the right to be so!

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"I will always knock a scumbag chav and spongers. Should we just accept them? Unfortunately I live next to a fair few who make the rest of our lives a misery so I am far from accepting "

This...

Ok some so called 'chavs' dont deserve the lable..some young people are jobless through no fault of their own..many want to work but cant get jobs because half of Eastern Europe have them...you will always have the 'haves and the have nots'...not everyone is educated or capable of being educated enough to land a top job..they have to take what they are capable of doing..

But some young people do themselves no favours at all and deserve the shit existence they live..they seem to think 'chav' is a compliment..no ambition, crap morals, junkies, work shy..so yeh I reserve the right to look down at them..

That said..the government dont help..insisting a lot of these people get off their ares and find work..yeh its as easy as that is it???...WHAT BLOODY WORK?????

Perhaps if we stop selling out to foreign investors we might actually have a sound commercial platform to create jobs, instead of being a franchise for the rest of the world.

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Oddly many a large sum prize winners under the age of 50 claim the sercet to a happy life is to continue working... in some form or another.

In its simplest terms it relates to Maslow.

By *anesjhCouple
over a year ago

LONDON.

"I will always knock a scumbag chav and spongers. Should we just accept them? Unfortunately I live next to a fair few who make the rest of our lives a misery so I am far from accepting "

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

ROLMFAO at "spongers" .

over a year ago

"Gosh, isn't it a lovely day?? "

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"ROLMFAO at "spongers" ."
whats ROLMFAO?

over a year ago

I believe one is naive in thinking everyone can live in perfect harmony with everyone else.

I have my likes and dislikes, and appreciate others have theirs too, and our likes and dislikes could be the same or very different.

If we all behave the same way, dress the same way, like and dislike the same things, then the world would be a very dull place IMHO.

over a year ago

Oddly many a large sum prize winners under the age of 50 claim the sercet to a happy life is to continue working... in some form or another.

In its simplest terms it relates to Maslow."

How does that relate to Maslow? Big prize winners (etc) have surely moved up the hierarchy of needs due to their win? Not sure what you mean.

over a year ago

Someone once said to me years ago. Even if you had loads of cash, at the end of the day you'd only want the things you already have, a full belly, yer health and a few beers with your friends.

... and I though. What a load rubbish.Most of my friends are crap, I'd buy much better ones.

over a year ago

"ROLMFAO at "spongers" .whats ROLMFAO? "

Rolling Over Laughing My Fucking Ass Off (I had to google it )

over a year ago

"I will always knock a scumbag chav and spongers. Should we just accept them? Unfortunately I live next to a fair few who make the rest of our lives a misery so I am far from accepting

This...

Ok some so called 'chavs' dont deserve the lable..some young people are jobless through no fault of their own..many want to work but cant get jobs because half of Eastern Europe have them...you will always have the 'haves and the have nots'...not everyone is educated or capable of being educated enough to land a top job..they have to take what they are capable of doing..

But some young people do themselves no favours at all and deserve the shit existence they live..they seem to think 'chav' is a compliment..no ambition, crap morals, junkies, work shy..so yeh I reserve the right to look down at them..

That said..the government dont help..insisting a lot of these people get off their ares and find work..yeh its as easy as that is it???...WHAT BLOODY WORK?????

Perhaps if we stop selling out to foreign investors we might actually have a sound commercial platform to create jobs, instead of being a franchise for the rest of the world.

"

Definitely with you on this, if the idiotic government we have wouldn't keep letting all the foreigners in, there would be more jobs going and more homes for British people, and I do get fed up with the local authority letting them jump the housing queue, I know this as I work for a housing association. Sooner they get sent back to where they came from the better

over a year ago

"......

Definitely with you on this, if the idiotic government we have wouldn't keep letting all the foreigners in, there would be more jobs going and more homes for British people, and I do get fed up with the local authority letting them jump the housing queue, I know this as I work for a housing association. Sooner they get sent back to where they came from the better"

Who are you going to send back to where? Are you talking about the Eastern Europeans who arrived to do the hard working jobs that were (and are0 readily available? During this time homegrown layabouts moaned consistently that there were/are no jobs?

Or perhaps you are talking about Asian migrants? Which generation whould you send back? You could go back as far as the Ugandan Asians - 20,000 or so who arrived in our country with no money and one suitcase. Or shall we go further back and send the West Indians back to the Carribbean? We could of course send the displaced Jews, Poles and Germans back - those who stayed here after the 2nd World war.

Just wondering how far back we should go sending "them" back.

over a year ago

"......

Definitely with you on this, if the idiotic government we have wouldn't keep letting all the foreigners in, there would be more jobs going and more homes for British people, and I do get fed up with the local authority letting them jump the housing queue, I know this as I work for a housing association. Sooner they get sent back to where they came from the better.....

Who are you going to send back to where? Are you talking about the Eastern Europeans who arrived to do the hard working jobs that were (and are0 readily available? During this time homegrown layabouts moaned consistently that there were/are no jobs?

Or perhaps you are talking about Asian migrants? Which generation whould you send back? You could go back as far as the Ugandan Asians - 20,000 or so who arrived in our country with no money and one suitcase. Or shall we go further back and send the West Indians back to the Carribbean? We could of course send the displaced Jews, Poles and Germans back - those who stayed here after the 2nd World war.

Just wondering how far back we should go sending "them" back."

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

these threads never cease to amaze me

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

We are not all the same.....well worth remembering the power and rights of the individual."

What I believe you are saying is that you've chosen to work at a certain level that allows you to enjoy more than what you perceive as working to just survive, unless you've inherited great wealth, discovered the location of the pot at the end of the rainbow, or are TOTALLY self sufficient then we all work to survive, I suggest you still have to work when being self sufficient and its probably tougher than a 9-5...

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"......

Definitely with you on this, if the idiotic government we have wouldn't keep letting all the foreigners in, there would be more jobs going and more homes for British people, and I do get fed up with the local authority letting them jump the housing queue, I know this as I work for a housing association. Sooner they get sent back to where they came from the better.....

If you go back far enough this island would be virtually empty as we are all immigrants!

We are a mix of many peoples'

And that's what many fail to acknowledge or are ignorant of!

over a year ago

"I couldn't care less for protestant work ethics or any other sociologists theories, I live my life by my own values and beliefs and not by those of any other person.

As I said before, my (our) work ethic and it's subsequent rewards in life are an individual choice and have very little impact upon anyone else apart from me and mine....

I relate to my (our) own actions and not to theories of scholars."

Arrogance born of ignorance........

over a year ago

"isnt it the role of a sponger and a scrounger to keep the strivers in fear that one day it might be them workless ? The truth is we have never had full employment in this country and we never will. Apparently there are 8 peeps chasing every job. So are the 7 that dont get the job spongers and scroungers ? Do the strivers moan about spongers and scroungers because they are jealous or is it an attempt to raise self esteem ?"

Of course it is. Unemployment, as Sir Humphrey Appleby once told Jim Hacker, could be got rid of by any government very easily. The fact is though that capitalism needs a pool of unemployed people for precisely the reason you have said. In a planned economy on the other hand that pool is not necessary and that is why there was no unemployment in the Soviet bloc.

There are other reasons why unemployed people are needed in our capitalist economy too. Where would all the civil servants who work for the DWP be without them. And the companies who provide the computers, the software, do the building and maintenance? the companies who run the various schemes?

And why are they unemployed in the first place? Would not most people work if working was worth their while?

Where we live, the average rent for a one bedroomed flat is £650 pcm and many people work in the hospitality and catering industry for the minimum wage. To me these people are being grossly exploited and if I were one of them I would jack in my job, go on benefits and work cash in hand. Fortunately I am well paid for what I do, and if some of my tax goes on benefits for people like that then fine, and good luck to them!

over a year ago

"......

If you go back far enough this island would be virtually empty as we are all immigrants!

"

In the nicest possible way I am afraid that in this it is you who are ignorant. Leaving aside the very small amount of blood contributed to the modern English by immigrants (and it is very small, whatever Nick Puffin and the BNP would have us believe) we are, as one historian puts it, "a largely germanic people speaking a largely germanic language".

However I agree with your _iew. To blame immigrants and other ethnic minorities for our ills is very easy, as Hitler realised,but wrong. It is unregulated capitalism which is responsible for the mess we and most of the rest of the world is in. It capitalism too which wants lots of immigrants partly so they can buy their products and partly for cheap labour.

And to those who go on about East Europeans, i would suggest you forego your two weeks gorging and guzzling in Lanzagrotty and travel around the Continent to see how many British people live and work there. A million in Spain to start with not to mention the hundreds of thousands in France and Germany. And what about the good old greedy, grasping British property speculators who are pushing the price of property purchase and rentals in Bulgaria and Romania, Greece and Portugal?

By *radleyandRavenCouple
over a year ago

Herts

"Definitely with you on this, if the idiotic government we have wouldn't keep letting all the foreigners in, there would be more jobs going and more homes for British people, and I do get fed up with the local authority letting them jump the housing queue, I know this as I work for a housing association. Sooner they get sent back to where they came from the better"

See, I'm a bit mixed on this as, lets face it, we've all seen "British citizens" who quite frankly just don't want to work. And the problem is that the government has made it more worth their while to stay unemployed than to get a job. - Let's see, you get money, a house/rent paid for you, free prescriptions and dental treatment, (I don't know if it ever came into effect but I remember talks of giving people on benefits half-price travel at some point), you can get help towards college courses, have your childcare paid for you... I'm sure there are some I've missed but you get the general jist of it. And I think the first thing that needs tackling is taking some of those things and making it more worthwhile for people who work (ergo, more people who don't want to work will see more reason to get a job). - And before people jump on my back, I'm not including disabilities or people with illness there.

As for immigration I have also seen first-hand how ethnic minorities jump the housing queue, and yes, this also needs to change!

And my problem is not with the people who come here to work, but the ones who come here and sit on their arses. I think there should be a new rule introduced that anyone who wishes to come here should prove that they've made an effort to learn the language, they should be put in a hostel so that they have the basic living utilities they need, and if they don't have a job within 6 months, they get sent back (I know it sounds harsh, but we have to do SOMETHING for our own good for once). If they then manage to get a job, support them in finding somewhere to rent (but don't pay for it) and let them get on with it.

To be honest it's a bit easier to get a job now because a lot of the Polish workers have gone home. I'll admit that I was once fuming because I lost out to a £350pw scaffolding trade receptionist job (here!) because I couldn't speak Polish and my opinion was "why should I lose out because I can't speak THEIR language? If they're coming to work here they should have to learn to speak English!". I'm not gonna lie that that caused a lot of hate/discrimination in me but that is now in the past and I have come to appreciate how hard some people work to come here and get jobs.

But yeah, if you're still alive after reading my essay, that's my 2 pennies worth (or £200). Off to buy a bullet-proof vest now!

- Amy. x

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"......

In the nicest possible way I am afraid that in this it is you who are ignorant. Leaving aside the very small amount of blood contributed to the modern English by immigrants (and it is very small, whatever Nick Puffin and the BNP would have us believe) we are, as one historian puts it, "a largely germanic people speaking a largely germanic language".

However I agree with your _iew. To blame immigrants and other ethnic minorities for our ills is very easy, as Hitler realised,but wrong. It is unregulated capitalism which is responsible for the mess we and most of the rest of the world is in. It capitalism too which wants lots of immigrants partly so they can buy their products and partly for cheap labour.

And to those who go on about East Europeans, i would suggest you forego your two weeks gorging and guzzling in Lanzagrotty and travel around the Continent to see how many British people live and work there. A million in Spain to start with not to mention the hundreds of thousands in France and Germany. And what about the good old greedy, grasping British property speculators who are pushing the price of property purchase and rentals in Bulgaria and Romania, Greece and Portugal?

"

The Beeb are running a prog tonight 3rd and final part about mans origins.... Neandathol first night and one of the other 5 species last night..,

As far as being Germanic I take it your are ref to Saxons, well don't forget we had angles (as far as we know the original peoples that settled here on the journey across mainland Europe out of Africa) celts and various others that travelled with the Romans, Nordic tribes also settled here and around the various coasts including Ireland.

over a year ago

If people try writing proper sentences and mess up a little i dont mine as im dyslexic. I love autocorrect lol. but if sum1 tlks lik dis n dat ennit. im like ugh. if i can make an effort you can other people. But when meeting people your walk of life is your walk of life and no one should judge you at the end of the day. we are all human beings and deserve to be treated equally

over a year ago

"......

The Beeb are running a prog tonight 3rd and final part about mans origins.... Neandathol first night and one of the other 5 species last night..,

As far as being Germanic I take it your are ref to Saxons, well don't forget we had angles (as far as we know the original peoples that settled here on the journey across mainland Europe out of Africa) celts and various others that travelled with the Romans, Nordic tribes also settled here and around the various coasts including Ireland."

Well without wishing to sound as if I am bragging, I am an historian, and my area of expertise is precisely the area to which you are referring.

Bede is our main source for what historians refer to as 'the coming of the English". He tells us that the three main peoples were the Angles, Saxons and Jutes (all Germanic). Precopious of )Ceasaria adds Frisians (another Germanic people) and that is borne out by linguistic evidence (Frisian is the language most closely related to English) and place name evidence (Friston, which means settlement of the Frisians, for example).Archaeological evidence also indicates a Frankish element (the Franks were also a Germanic people).

All these people referred to the language they spoke as 'Englisc' (pronounced English).

The Vikings who came between the late eighth century and the eleventh were of course Scandianavians mainly Danes and Norwegians. The Scandinavians belong to the Germanic family of races and languages and speakers of Old English (or Anglo-Saxon) and speakers of Old Norse could understand each other.

With reference to Celts well, leaving aside the question debated by scholars as to whether or not there was such a thing as the Celtic race in the first place, the question of how many of the "Celtic' people who inhabited what is now England survived after the coming of the English tribes has been much debated by historians and still is.But the historical evidence ie documentary, the archaeological evidence, the place name evidence (English place names are overwhelmingly Germanic) , the anthropological evidence and most formidably of all the linguistic evidence all strongly indicate that very few of them survived (There are only thirteen words of Celtic origin in the English language. Had substantial numbers of Celts survived the coming of the English we should expect to have seen this reflected in the language. And if it is to be argued that a small group of Germanic warriors imposed their language on a larger group of conquered Celts, then en explanation needs to be provided as to why there are no parallels for this. In cases where we know that the conquerors of a people were numerically inferior to them, as in the cases of the Franks in Gaul, the Vikings in Normandy, and the Normans in England, the conquerors ended up speaking the language of their subject peoples.

By *bbandflowCouple
over a year ago

South Devon

"......

As far as being Germanic I take it your are ref to Saxons, well don't forget we had angles (as far as we know the original peoples that settled here on the journey across mainland Europe out of Africa) celts and various others that travelled with the Romans, Nordic tribes also settled here and around the various coasts including Ireland.

Well without wishing to sound as if I am bragging, I am an historian, and my area of expertise is precisely the area to which you are referring.

Bede is our main source for what historians refer to as 'the coming of the English". He tells us that the three main peoples were the Angles, Saxons and Jutes (all Germanic). Precopious of )Ceasaria adds Frisians (another Germanic people) and that is borne out by linguistic evidence (Frisian is the language most closely related to English) and place name evidence (Friston, which means settlement of the Frisians, for example).Archaeological evidence also indicates a Frankish element (the Franks were also a Germanic people).

All these people referred to the language they spoke as 'Englisc' (pronounced English).

The Vikings who came between the late eighth century and the eleventh were of course Scandianavians mainly Danes and Norwegians. The Scandinavians belong to the Germanic family of races and languages and speakers of Old English (or Anglo-Saxon) and speakers of Old Norse could understand each other.

With reference to Celts well, leaving aside the question debated by scholars as to whether or not there was such a thing as the Celtic race in the first place, the question of how many of the "Celtic' people who inhabited what is now England survived after the coming of the English tribes has been much debated by historians and still is.But the historical evidence ie documentary, the archaeological evidence, the place name evidence (English place names are overwhelmingly Germanic) , the anthropological evidence and most formidably of all the linguistic evidence all strongly indicate that very few of them survived (There are only thirteen words of Celtic origin in the English language. Had substantial numbers of Celts survived the coming of the English we should expect to have seen this reflected in the language. And if it is to be argued that a small group of Germanic warriors imposed their language on a larger group of conquered Celts, then en explanation needs to be provided as to why there are no parallels for this. In cases where we know that the conquerors of a people were numerically inferior to them, as in the cases of the Franks in Gaul, the Vikings in Normandy, and the Normans in England, the conquerors ended up speaking the language of their subject peoples.

"

I shall regard Historians in an entirely different light now!!

By *john121Man
over a year ago

staffs

"......

I shall regard Historians in an entirely different light now!! "

ALIENS!!!

Well despite the Germanic reference we all came out of Africa!! Top that!

Watch tonight's last episode on bbc2 9pm

With Prof Alice Roberts and George McGavin

And don't mention the Germans!!

They bombed our chip shop! lol

over a year ago

That's brilliant. How true is that

over a year ago

I like ppl for who they r and how they treat me. Im a chav from a council estate with a degree. I hate posh ppl in theory as they diss ppl like me and my mates, but not always in reality.

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I couldn't care less for protestant work ethics or any other sociologists theories, I live my life by my own values and beliefs and not by those of any other person.

Arrogance born of ignorance........"

Why arrogance?....we have come from nothing, literally nothing. We have both studied hard, then worked extremely hard for the last 23 years, we lived on my wage alone for several years while my husband started at the VERY bottom in his chosen career.

I then left a very lucrative career to start not One but Two businesses from scratch, I have had to put up with my husband working away for five or six days a week for the last Fifteen years, in exchange for our endeavours we now enjoy the benefits of such a work ethic.

We therefore reserve the right to live our life and spend our hard earned money as we wish....that's the trouble with you academics, you are not satisfied with living your own life, you want to enforce your own 'lovey' lifestyle on everyone else.

Feel free to pull me up on any spelling mistakes I may have made.....

over a year ago

The only thing wrong is that chavs does not have an e in it

over a year ago

I just dont understand why, that many just ignore the earth playing a central part in the development in humans( and it will always do so with core being 'alive'(and the other aspects of planetary evolution of course)

Its not about man coming from africa...its about spreading genes(in whatever way u like to look at it negatively or positively),its what has made us all who we are.Hominid species basically destroyed and created eachother, which eventually brings us, to well.. US!

well thats my understanding

By *atisfy janeWoman
over a year ago

Torquay

"I just dont understand why, that many just ignore the earth playing a central part in the development in humans( and it will always do so with core being 'alive'(and the other aspects of planetary evolution of course)

Its not about man coming from africa...its about spreading genes(in whatever way u like to look at it negatively or positively),its what has made us all who we are.Hominid species basically destroyed and created eachother, which eventually brings us, to well.. US!

well thats my understanding

"

And mine....we are all so very different in so many ways....but we are all human.

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

Arrogance born of ignorance........

Why arrogance?....we have come from nothing, literally nothing. We have both studied hard, then worked extremely hard for the last 23 years, we lived on my wage alone for several years while my husband started at the VERY bottom in his chosen career.

I then left a very lucrative career to start not One but Two businesses from scratch, I have had to put up with my husband working away for five or six days a week for the last Fifteen years, in exchange for our endeavours we now enjoy the benefits of such a work ethic.

We therefore reserve the right to live our life and spend our hard earned money as we wish....that's the trouble with you academics, you are not satisfied with living your own life, you want to enforce your own 'lovey' lifestyle on everyone else.

Feel free to pull me up on any spelling mistakes I may have made....."

Good post..

By *amschwingerzCouple
over a year ago

West

"......

Yeh quite right..in fact why dont we do away with border controls completely and let everyone who wants to come and leave here in...the only people unemployed are lazy British. Everyone else to comes here is honest, harder working than any work shy lazy Brit..and they wont cause us a bit of trouble either..having people who work for half the money must be a good thing for the economy...immigration both legal and illegal is no problem, its a myth..let em all in!!

over a year ago

I think actually posh ppl p jealous of chavs as we hav better closer more friendly communities. Also we value our life and family more than career success and material wealth. I had a professional well paid job afta i graduated but i soon jacked it in. The work life balance sucked and the stress - i thought i cant liv like this. I went bak to my old (minimum wage) job. The only problem is like everyone else on min wage im being exploited but i can live with it doing a job i love

over a year ago

"I think actually posh ppl p jealous of chavs as we hav better closer more friendly communities. Also we value our life and family more than career success and material wealth. I had a professional well paid job afta i graduated but i soon jacked it in. The work life balance sucked and the stress - i thought i cant liv like this. I went bak to my old (minimum wage) job. The only problem is like everyone else on min wage im being exploited but i can live with it doing a job i love"

well thats one of the main faults with the maslow's hierarchy of needs theory, and of course why we see people gain success act out in ways that are 'detrimental' to themselves...they were never self-actualized' were they?...some of us find our place and can be quite happy with it...not causing others harm.

Sorry of the pessimistic _iew, but there will be a time in the future, when MANY types of jobs will be obsolete, both working class and middle class jobs.

over a year ago

Since my degree was physics not sociology i dont know what self actualized means. Is it like they didnt decide for themselves what to actually become, it was unknowingly forced on them by society? If not pls explain half of the jobs now dont really need to exist if u ask me. Off to look up manslow...

over a year ago

"......

"

Not wishing to pick holes in your clear knowledge but.....

I always understood the Romans to have pre-dated the Ango Saxons and at the time the Roman armies left (and left behind many of their genetic offsprings there was a population of about 2,000,000 combined of Romans, Celts and the earlier Beakers (all immigrants). The Ango Saxons were Germanic but remember that by todays definition Germanic means, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Denmark. By 800 AD the Vikings arrived and colonised in a big way and stuck around for about 250 years meaning that by 1100 AD the population of 3,000,000 was made up of ancient Beakers, Celts, Romans, Anglo Saxons and Vikings. In anyones book a bit of a cocktail!

Once the Norman (French but I accept Danish heritage) genes were spread around a little, the 3,000,000 population had organically increased to

8,000,000 at the time of the first census in 1801 (an increase of 5,000,000 in 700 years but over the next 100 years the population shot up to 30,000,000 by the industrial revolution and is today approximately 55,000,000 (England). Organic population on that scale was impossible up to recent years because of limited lifespans meaning that immigration continued on a huge scale from the Norman invasion until the 19th century and continues to this day. Nothing new.

I stand to be corrected as this is from memory (35 years ago!)

over a year ago

"......

Yeh quite right..in fact why dont we do away with border controls completely and let everyone who wants to come and leave here in...the only people unemployed are lazy British. Everyone else to comes here is honest, harder working than any work shy lazy Brit..and they wont cause us a bit of trouble either..having people who work for half the money must be a good thing for the economy...immigration both legal and illegal is no problem, its a myth..let em all in!!"

Immigration created the best of British and regrettably without it the gene pool stagnates. It has been part of this country for 3,000 years and is just not new.

Your rant is a little myopic and not based on an understanding of the country and its demographic cocktail. having said that, I don't think anyone - apart from you - is suggesting a migrant free for all.

over a year ago

"I think actually posh ppl p jealous of chavs as we hav better closer more friendly communities. Also we value our life and family more than career success and material wealth. I had a professional well paid job afta i graduated but i soon jacked it in. The work life balance sucked and the stress - i thought i cant liv like this. I went bak to my old (minimum wage) job. The only problem is like everyone else on min wage im being exploited but i can live with it doing a job i love

well thats one of the main faults with the maslow's hierarchy of needs theory, and of course why we see people gain success act out in ways that are 'detrimental' to themselves...they were never self-actualized' were they?...some of us find our place and can be quite happy with it...not causing others harm.

Sorry of the pessimistic _iew, but there will be a time in the future, when MANY types of jobs will be obsolete, both working class and middle class jobs."

Is anyone ever truly happy? Most people seem to strive for more and more. Perhaps those that feel the need to keep up with the neighbours will never be happy even if they are billionaires.

I don't think it's pessimistic. This whole world thing isn't going to end well.

Post new Message to Thread