Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

The Death Spin

Jump to newest

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

It’s a term I use to describe the endless comebacks on threads where don’t matter what you say a person keeps coming back in increasingly hostile fashion. It usually gets ugly.

I tend to cut out sooner rather than later nowadays like most sane people. You can’t win an argument on the internet they say. True or untrue?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Look up something called the Godwin Rule.

It's very apt for most of those type of threads.

It used to refer to calling someone a nazi or Hitler as a sign that you had lost the argument but that applies to many other so called insults these days.

By *ansexualPandaMan
over a year ago

Near You

"It’s a term I use to describe the endless comebacks on threads where don’t matter what you say a person keeps coming back in increasingly hostile fashion. It usually gets ugly.

I tend to cut out sooner rather than later nowadays like most sane people. You can’t win an argument on the internet they say. True or untrue?"

Whatever you said but I'll disagree with you, just because!

By *yron69 OP   Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"It’s a term I use to describe the endless comebacks on threads where don’t matter what you say a person keeps coming back in increasingly hostile fashion. It usually gets ugly.

I tend to cut out sooner rather than later nowadays like most sane people. You can’t win an argument on the internet they say. True or untrue?

Whatever you said but I'll disagree with you, just because! "

Right. [rolls up sleeves..]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

True. Especially when others join in and it spirals into more like a witch hunt and mob rule where apologies are shouted over and the mob just want their pound of flesh.

over a year ago

It's absolutely possible to win an argument on the internet, what harder is to lose one because when you're losing you just change the parameters, respond to questions with more questions, and generally try to use attrition to score a draw.

Generally who won is very obvious, it's just the the loser doesn't realise he's lost...

Godwins Law is very true, although given the recent rise in far right movements in a lot of places I find that very few people tend to go there these days. The killer thing is the question to a question bit, or using whataboutery

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

It’s much easier to get sucked into a never ending argument on a forum than it is in real life.

In a face to face scenario, it’s pretty quickly evident if one party or another is in possession of a greater knowledge, experience or intellect. And things happen in real time.

When things are restricted to just the written word, then those things are much harder to discern. The lag between responses drags things out too, and can often lead to the prevarication, goalpost moving and dissembling mentioned.

In short, it often takes longer online to work out whether one (or both) protagonists are idiots than it does IRL.

over a year ago

"It's absolutely possible to win an argument on the internet, what harder is to lose one because when you're losing you just change the parameters, respond to questions with more questions, and generally try to use attrition to score a draw.

Generally who won is very obvious, it's just the the loser doesn't realise he's lost...

Godwins Law is very true, although given the recent rise in far right movements in a lot of places I find that very few people tend to go there these days. The killer thing is the question to a question bit, or using whataboutery"

They go there on Twitter. A lot. I find this place relaxing in contrast.

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

I know you are you said you are, but what am I?

Even better is when you manage to get someone offering to come round and duff you up!

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I tend to cut out sooner rather than later nowadays like most sane people. You can’t win an argument on the internet they say. True or untrue?"

So you say

over a year ago

If you prove someone wrong using established facts that they missed or were misinformed and THEY STILL continue with cognitive dissonance I like to trigger the rage response with such gems as:

- 1-0 Lzz

-Git Gud

-You lost, relax

-okay m8 still wrong

I see it as payment for wasting my time and Oxygen providing them with knowledge that they reject.

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"If you prove someone wrong using established facts that they missed or were misinformed and THEY STILL continue with cognitive dissonance I like to trigger the rage response with such gems as:

- 1-0 Lzz

-Git Gud

-You lost, relax

-okay m8 still wrong

I see it as payment for wasting my time and Oxygen providing them with knowledge that they reject. "

Naaa your wrong

over a year ago

"

Naaa your wrong "

2-0 lzzz

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
over a year ago

hexham

"True. Especially when others join in and it spirals into more like a witch hunt and mob rule where apologies are shouted over and the mob just want their pound of flesh."

I am all for the mob!

I love the old black and white Frankenstein movie where the mob March up to the castle to destroy the monster.. torches and pitchforks…. Get me in that team, I’ll scream like a banshee and call for anyone’s blood

over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"True. Especially when others join in and it spirals into more like a witch hunt and mob rule where apologies are shouted over and the mob just want their pound of flesh.

I am all for the mob!

I love the old black and white Frankenstein movie where the mob March up to the castle to destroy the monster.. torches and pitchforks…. Get me in that team, I’ll scream like a banshee and call for anyone’s blood "

Meahhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh garrrrrrr( Frankenstein monster noises at crowd outside the windmill)

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

For some people the sky is green and purple stripes. Don’t let a fact spoil their image!

Gbat

over a year ago

Pop into the covid forums. The Lounge is like a peace retreat compared to in there

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Never argue on the internet. Others sometimes join in. Even if I am right, I usually either ignore or delete my threads or posts if anything negative said.

over a year ago

"True. Especially when others join in and it spirals into more like a witch hunt and mob rule where apologies are shouted over and the mob just want their pound of flesh.

I am all for the mob!

I love the old black and white Frankenstein movie where the mob March up to the castle to destroy the monster.. torches and pitchforks…. Get me in that team, I’ll scream like a banshee and call for anyone’s blood "

Exactly the image I had in mind.

By *ecky and justCouple
over a year ago

Godalming

"Pop into the covid forums. The Lounge is like a peace retreat compared to in there "

Worth going in occasionally just to poke the fire..!

over a year ago

"Pop into the covid forums. The Lounge is like a peace retreat compared to in there

Worth going in occasionally just to poke the fire..! "

The messages I woke up to the last time were hilarious but whoever it was that sent them need serious help.

Post new Message to Thread