Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Special Offers...

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

...are they?

In supermarkets and shops you always see the buy one get one free and similar.

What puzzles me a little is, why do they put the prices up and then do the bogof deals?

When they do make a deal sound like a bargain, why can't they sell everything at the bargain prices all the time?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

or buy a pack of 3 for £1.50 and they are 45p as a single item

over a year ago

"or buy a pack of 3 for £1.50 and they are 45p as a single item "

Exactly!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

i find i get frustrated at myself when i realize i've had to spend an extra £10 on food shopping that i didn't need just to save 5p of a litre of petrol.. haha

over a year ago

"...are they?

In supermarkets and shops you always see the buy one get one free and similar.

What puzzles me a little is, why do they put the prices up and then do the bogof deals?

When they do make a deal sound like a bargain, why can't they sell everything at the bargain prices all the time?"

They are good for the supermarkets, not the customer and certainly not the supplier, the supermarkets are on a win, win.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I got a bogof on bird's eyes at my local ColdLand.

They taste disgusting.

over a year ago

Its just a rip off 'feel good' tactic that they use to convince you that its a bargain, so the money you think you have saved can be spent on something extra. Lol

supermarkets 1 customer 0

over a year ago

The supermarkets squeeze everybody in their supply chain and milk their customers for every penny they can.

Despite this being pretty common knowledge, where do the majority of us still do our weekly shop ?

There is no town centre to speak of where I live, but there is a Tesco, an Asda and a Morrisons all within 5 minutes drive.

If I drove for 10 minutes, I could add a further Asda, a further Tesco and a Sainsburys to that tally !

And that's just the superstores - I haven't even touched on the 'Express' type stores.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Its called consumer psychology.. i.e deals and the way the brands are selved. They pay lots of money to some consultant to tell them how to put stuff together so the consumer spends more..

A lot of these offers are not really that great. I do buy washing powder if on offer but other things I don't bother with..

over a year ago

I love the Christmas tins, roses etc that come out every year at "half price". No, that's the actual price. Who in their right mind would pay £10 for a tin of chocs you only like half of!

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"I love the Christmas tins, roses etc that come out every year at "half price". No, that's the actual price. Who in their right mind would pay £10 for a tin of chocs you only like half of!"

Have you noticed over the years how the tins have got smaller but more expensive....

over a year ago

"The supermarkets squeeze everybody in their supply chain and milk their customers for every penny they can.

Despite this being pretty common knowledge, where do the majority of us still do our weekly shop ?

There is no town centre to speak of where I live, but there is a Tesco, an Asda and a Morrisons all within 5 minutes drive.

If I drove for 10 minutes, I could add a further Asda, a further Tesco and a Sainsburys to that tally !

And that's just the superstores - I haven't even touched on the 'Express' type stores."

Within 10 minutes of us, we have 5 Co-Ops, a Sainsburys Superstore, a Tesco's superstore, Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons Superstore, 2 x Asda Superstore, Tesco Express, M&S Food Hall and a Waitrose.

We live in a small village, but that is just OTT imo.

over a year ago

"I love the Christmas tins, roses etc that come out every year at "half price". No, that's the actual price. Who in their right mind would pay £10 for a tin of chocs you only like half of!

Have you noticed over the years how the tins have got smaller but more expensive.... "

nope

not interested in the size of the tin, just getting it open and finding all the ones i like before anyone else gets there

over a year ago

My disabled daughter loves Quavers and eats them in abundance and in my local co-op i can but 3 packs of 6 cheaper than i can buy a pack of 12

over a year ago

"I love the Christmas tins, roses etc that come out every year at "half price". No, that's the actual price. Who in their right mind would pay £10 for a tin of chocs you only like half of!

Have you noticed over the years how the tins have got smaller but more expensive....

nope

not interested in the size of the tin, just getting it open and finding all the ones i like before anyone else gets there "

The purple ones for me or anything toffee

over a year ago

Its just daylight robbery.

And on the subject of things getting smaller, walkers muli pack crisp with 5 bags, cans of pop with only 4 cand, not six. Rogues, I tell thee!

over a year ago

"The supermarkets squeeze everybody in their supply chain and milk their customers for every penny they can.

And that's just the superstores - I haven't even touched on the 'Express' type stores.

Within 10 minutes of us, we have 5 Co-Ops, a Sainsburys Superstore, a Tesco's superstore, Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons Superstore, 2 x Asda Superstore, Tesco Express, M&S Food Hall and a Waitrose.

We live in a small village, but that is just OTT imo."

oh god yeah, i forgot about the aldi x 2, the iceland and the co-op

no lidl's tho

it's rough, but not that rough

over a year ago

"Its just daylight robbery.

And on the subject of things getting smaller, walkers muli pack crisp with 5 bags, cans of pop with only 4 cand, not six. Rogues, I tell thee! "

* multi

*cans

cant spell today

over a year ago

id prefer it if things were half price rather than bogof.

over a year ago

We live in a small village, but that is just OTT imo.

oh god yeah, i forgot about the aldi x 2, the iceland and the co-op

no lidl's tho

it's rough, but not that rough "

The Lidl and Aldi are 10 minutes away, over the rough side

We go the other way...lol

over a year ago

"id prefer it if things were half price rather than bogof."

Again the price point is so low to start with, they can market them at half price and still make a huge profit, and within the supply chain, it is not the supermarket that suffers.

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

Near me have morrisons, aldi, Asda and now to top it offer Tesco as usual is going to dominate the whole of where I live with building the largest tesco in europe along with a retail park.. with guess what a bloody Primark!!

I like Aldi myself but seem to end up at asda as its 5 mins from my house..

over a year ago

"along with a retail park.. with guess what a bloody Primark!!

"

There is now a Primark concession in Selfridges at The Trafford Centre.

How's that for a brand mix ?

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

How's that for a brand mix ?"

And the one in Brum... I went shopping with my parents and I am still shocked with the level of spending that is still being done..

over a year ago

How's that for a brand mix ? And the one in Brum... I went shopping with my parents and I am still shocked with the level of spending that is still being done..

"

I agree.

Yesterday I went to John Lewis in Cheadle and then had some lunch at a bar in Alderley Edge.

If there is a recession on, it certainly hasn't reached that part of Cheshire yet.

Range Rovers, Bentleys, Lambourghini's, Ferrari's, Astons, Maserati's, the lot.

For any prestige / super car lovers, go there on a sunny Sunday, get a pint or a coffee, sit outside and watch the procession go by !

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

How's that for a brand mix ? And the one in Brum... I went shopping with my parents and I am still shocked with the level of spending that is still being done..

I agree.

Yesterday I went to John Lewis in Cheadle and then had some lunch at a bar in Alderley Edge.

If there is a recession on, it certainly hasn't reached that part of Cheshire yet.

Range Rovers, Bentleys, Lambourghini's, Ferrari's, Astons, Maserati's, the lot.

For any prestige / super car lovers, go there on a sunny Sunday, get a pint or a coffee, sit outside and watch the procession go by !"

I might be thick but is that not where the footballers live in Cheadle??

over a year ago

"

I might be thick but is that not where the footballers live in Cheadle?? "

it is seen as manchesters 'stockbroker belt' but yes there is a good few footballers who live in that general area (tatton, knutsford, poynton, holmes chapel, alderley edge etc)

i didn't see any footballers, but then again, unless they were david beckham or were wearing their kit and kicking a ball up n down the street, i wouldn't know most of them from adam

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

"

I might be thick but is that not where the footballers live in Cheadle??

it is seen as manchesters 'stockbroker belt' but yes there is a good few footballers who live in that general area (tatton, knutsford, poynton, holmes chapel, alderley edge etc)

i didn't see any footballers, but then again, unless they were david beckham or were wearing their kit and kicking a ball up n down the street, i wouldn't know most of them from adam "

Any how don't get me started on how much they earn for kicking a football about, rolling on the pitch when they are pretending to be injured and just generally being arses... on and off pitch..

over a year ago

I would bet the biggest part of offers are b/s exp the bogof ones. Look at dfs they have had a sale for the last 20 years

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The rules on offers and reduced price sales are too confusing. I always look at the tiny print comparative price per 100g or litre (or whatever unit is being measured).

I think that our levels of functional numeracy don't help either. Research 12 years ago identified that 50% of adults don't know what 50% is.

I was asked to leave the Land that is Pound when I told the young man who looked student-like in the queue that he should just go across the road for his one item and save himself 25p.

over a year ago

thats where i look, at the price per 100gms/mls or whatever, thats where you can work out which is the cheapest

over a year ago

Is a bargain, a bargain?

over a year ago

Tesco's have 3 yorkies for £1.20; given they are anywhere between 60p to 70p, I think that is definitely a bargain, trying not to eat them all the same day is hard work as I hear them calling me all day

over a year ago

"Is a bargain, a bargain?"

only if you need sed item. (and its a bargain)

over a year ago

"

I was asked to leave the Land that is Pound when I told the young man who looked student-like in the queue that he should just go across the road for his one item and save himself 25p."

that has tickled my funny bone today .... thrown out of a poundies!

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"

I was asked to leave the Land that is Pound when I told the young man who looked student-like in the queue that he should just go across the road for his one item and save himself 25p.

that has tickled my funny bone today .... thrown out of a poundies! "

I wasn't forcibly removed Merely asked to leave and shop elsewhere

By *exki11enWoman
over a year ago

Bristol

"thats where i look, at the price per 100gms/mls or whatever, thats where you can work out which is the cheapest "

I wouldn't trust that as far as I could throw it - in Tesco particularly. Lost count of the times recently where (particularly bagged fruit & veg) it's said something like 1.5k carrots - £1.50 (£1.29 per kilo). Now I know my maths isn't Degree level but something's not quite right there.

Post new Message to Thread