Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Smacking Ban in Wales

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It is now illegal to smack a child in Wales. What about the small settlements in Wales/England border where one pub on one side of town was shut because of Covid lockdown and another on the other side of town was open. Will this lead to confusion?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

It depends if you lean out the window across the street, in order to slap someone on the other side of the road.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Could become bandit country.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

" It depends if you lean out the window across the street, in order to slap someone on the other side of the road."

I'm imaging kids running to one side of the border thumbing their nose at angry parents.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I wonder why we need legislation to tell adults not to physically harm their own children

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

" It depends if you lean out the window across the street, in order to slap someone on the other side of the road.

I'm imaging kids running to one side of the border thumbing their nose at angry parents."

Haha

Epitome of 'wait until you get home'

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

Personally, I agree with it.

Corporal punishment has a place in the home ..but only when consenting adults are involved.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Personally, I agree with it.

Corporal punishment has a place in the home ..but only when consenting adults are involved. "

Yep

over a year ago

"I wonder why we need legislation to tell adults not to physically harm their own children "

Very true. There seems to be a contingent of people who believe it's just parental chastisement,and context is needed for the severity of the smack.

Maybe? But if everytime you messed up in work, someone slapped you lightly across the head or on the buttocks ( Forrest Gump accent optional), how would you feel?

Why teach children that this is acceptable. It's heavily outdated.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I wonder why we need legislation to tell adults not to physically harm their own children

Very true. There seems to be a contingent of people who believe it's just parental chastisement,and context is needed for the severity of the smack.

Maybe? But if everytime you messed up in work, someone slapped you lightly across the head or on the buttocks ( Forrest Gump accent optional), how would you feel?

Why teach children that this is acceptable. It's heavily outdated."

There's always the "never did me any harm" brigade.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Oh and it's been illegal for an adult to hit another adult for a long time. Seems pretty messed up priorities to me

By *iker BullMan
over a year ago

leeds

"Oh and it's been illegal for an adult to hit another adult for a long time. Seems pretty messed up priorities to me"

By *iker BullMan
over a year ago

leeds

"Oh and it's been illegal for an adult to hit another adult for a long time. Seems pretty messed up priorities to me"
exactly

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Good! It should b banned everywhere x

over a year ago

Absolutely. It's even recognised that chastisement of dogs in Training is ineffective these days.

Praise of positive behaviour, boundaries and consistency. A child's brain isn't fully developed, smacking has adverse impacts. To be quite honest it's some of the parents who need support with parenting skills.

By *dalisqueWoman
over a year ago

land of make believe

"I wonder why we need legislation to tell adults not to physically harm their own children "

I was just going to post exactly this!

By *for2Man
over a year ago

Bristol

"I wonder why we need legislation to tell adults not to physically harm their own children

I was just going to post exactly this!"

Naughty step, taking away privileges or consoles etc always worked. Physical punishment is just another term for abuse.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

It's sad that anyone would think it's appropriate to smack or that smacking would ever have any long lasting positive effect. As many already said, children are like sponges and absorb and influenced by behaviour from all around them. Good parenting skills, positive role models and reinforcement of good behaviour is what children need.

I was out yesterday and witnessed a group of kids kicking every object that they could see in front of them, shouting and screaming and laughing at passers by including elderly folk some of who looked a bit worried. That is also sad that kids at that age don't know right from wrong or how to respect others wherever they might be. So many disputes these is about kids making the life of other people a misery with their unruly behaviour and often with their parents' passive consent. In general there is a lack of respect for others around and mainly from adults which is learned by young and impressionable children.

Smacking though is not only unacceptable but is never the answer either. Addressing the route of the problem is.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Oh and it's been illegal for an adult to hit another adult for a long time. Seems pretty messed up priorities to me

Absolutely. It's even recognised that chastisement of dogs in Training is ineffective these days."

In some cases. Not all. Positive only training does fuck all for true aggression cases. Thousands of agreasive dogs are put to sleep needlessly because positive reinforced training has failed them, and balanced training has been turned away because of ignorance for what it is. A friend of mine has saved the lives of many aggressive dogs by using balanced methods. Dogs that are now cared for in loving family homes. Far better behaved than 99% of the "fur babies" running around out there.

Corrections are critical for dog training, especially specific breeds that are strong willed and breed for very specific purposes.

Don't confuse balanced training with abuse training though.

Balanced is corrections and rewards.

Problem is "self taught" trainers assume they know what they are doing and mess it up, being more abusive than the training is.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I had a few short sharp shocks as a youngester (smack bottom). As I got older it was sent to bed and being grounded which hurt the most though. Specially when mates called round for me.

By *he love catsCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

Totally agree with the new law though I thought it was already in place to be honest. Don't understand why we are always the first for the laws though paying for carrier bags, 50p a unit for alcohol and now the smacking ban are we the UK guinea pigs .

By *l6789Man
over a year ago

croydon

"It is now illegal to smack a child in Wales. What about the small settlements in Wales/England border where one pub on one side of town was shut because of Covid lockdown and another on the other side of town was open. Will this lead to confusion? "

Does this include ddlg relationships because no spanking could be a real issue

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

It depends what cheek you slap them on

over a year ago

Because my kids are absolute twats sometimes.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

The outrage over the law and how it will apparently lead to a society of reprobates is kind of disturbing.

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

There's always the "never did me any harm" brigade. "

Not sure you can dismiss all previous generations as a 'brigade'.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I had a few short sharp shocks as a youngester (smack bottom). As I got older it was sent to bed and being grounded which hurt the most though. Specially when mates called round for me."

Absolutely. I hated being grounded.

over a year ago

Say what you want about slapping your kids but there seems to be more little cunts around since people stopped.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

Not sure you can dismiss all previous generations as a 'brigade'."

I don't believe that all previous generations feel it didn't do them any harm. My grandparents and parents are very critical of the physical abuse they received at the hands of step parents and teachers when they were young. My dad went to a school where most of the teachers were ex military and they were vicious. Apparently a group came back and beat up one of the teachers who was particularly violent after they finished school. Doesn't sound like a healthy environment at all.

over a year ago

But due to the police doing not a lot about it, people take things too far to get revenge on them.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple
over a year ago

Swansea

I totally agree that there is no place for smacking kids but this argument is illogical. You wouldn't expect your boss to make aeroplane noises with a spoon to encourage you to eat if you said you didn't feel like dinner either. The way we treat adults and children is very different for a variety of reasons and in many many circumstances. The argument that we don't do x with adults so shouldn't with children is inconsistent and irrelevant. Not smacking kids is an argument that stands on its own merits and needs no comparisons to justify it.

Mr

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I was hit as a child and hated it. Seemed like every time an adult, Mother, Father or Teacher lost control they had a right to inflict pain on me.

So what did I do to deserve it…

Broke a glass also a decorative soldier ornament, being noisy, not cleaning my bedroom, answering back in class, late a few times. But the last one …ironically fighting with a mate in the school playground.

Still get some chills when someone shouts out of the blue at someone else.

The only good that ever came out of it was in the Army during basic training. You always knew (admittedly you did get beasted once in awhile) the shouting and abuse was controlled, so it wasn’t as bad as home.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

Quite so. I never laid a hand on mine and it was not negotiable that my husband of the time could either.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Not sure you can dismiss all previous generations as a 'brigade'."

I don't think I have. Not all previous generations believe that being physically punished as a child did them no harm.

By *batMan
over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

"It is now illegal to smack a child in Wales. What about the small settlements in Wales/England border where one pub on one side of town was shut because of Covid lockdown and another on the other side of town was open. Will this lead to confusion? "

What's happened on the Scottish English border, where this is not a new thing? This is effectively an "old news" thread really.

Gbat

By *ocket rocket 2021Woman
over a year ago

Farnworth

Yeah and so are respect and manners of course

over a year ago

I read this as snacking ban.

I'm so relieved.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I can't imagine that this would be an issue for the overwhelming majority of people, who know better.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Why would there be massive confusion Tom? Do most English people want to dish out beatings as punishment?

over a year ago

Been banned in Scotland for years

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

Not sure you can dismiss all previous generations as a 'brigade'.

I don't think I have. Not all previous generations believe that being physically punished as a child did them no harm."

The problem is that there was a big difference in the bad old days between a caring mum giving a child a relatively light but nevertheless alerting smack on the bottom and a whipping or caning from some lying sadist who said "This hurts me far more tan it will hurt you".

I endured the latter during my schooldays and it didn't do me a lot of good (luckily it didn't encourage me to join their ranks subsequently). However, I can't say that a well deserved smacked bottom from my mother didn't teach me quickly where the behavioural boundaries in the home were.

Behavioural boundaries at school were confused by the profusion of confusing cultures which existed including the influence of an interest or not in sport, gangs, bullying, cliques, peer pressure to misbehave versus the desire to learn or be considered a swot.

This a complex subject with no easy solutions. Steps in the right direction are likely to be welcomed by all reasonable people but nevertheless need thinking through very carefully.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"It is now illegal to smack a child in Wales. What about the small settlements in Wales/England border where one pub on one side of town was shut because of Covid lockdown and another on the other side of town was open. Will this lead to confusion?

What's happened on the Scottish English border, where this is not a new thing? This is effectively an "old news" thread really.

Gbat "

The old border was Hadrians Wall. Does that divide Newcastle ?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Why would there be massive confusion Tom? Do most English people want to dish out beatings as punishment? "

No

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Think this should have been law a long time ago, my dad kicked the crap out of me

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Think this should have been law a long time ago, my dad kicked the crap out of me"

Same, hugs

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Agree, and those that do will probably still do it anyway

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

"Think this should have been law a long time ago, my dad kicked the crap out of me

Same, hugs "

Big hugs for you

By *ools and the brainCouple
over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"Think this should have been law a long time ago, my dad kicked the crap out of me"

Do you think it would have stopped him if it was illegal?

My grandad was a violent man I don't think it would have stopped him.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

"Think this should have been law a long time ago, my dad kicked the crap out of me

My grandad was a violent man I don't think it would have stopped him."

Probably not in my case, but he wouldn't have been able to hide behind the fact he was "discipling" me. So people could turn a blind eye easier.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

My grandad was a violent man I don't think it would have stopped him."

No it probably wouldn't have as he knew I'd just take it but it would have stopped some other kids getting beaten by their parents I think

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Probably not in my case, but he wouldn't have been able to hide behind the fact he was "discipling" me. So people could turn a blind eye easier. "

And it would have actually made it easier for me as a child to understand what he was doing was wrong. It's hard to understand that a smack is very different to a beating when you are little.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Port talbot

Probably not in my case, but he wouldn't have been able to hide behind the fact he was "discipling" me. So people could turn a blind eye easier.

And it would have actually made it easier for me as a child to understand what he was doing was wrong. It's hard to understand that a smack is very different to a beating when you are little. "

Definitely agree with you

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I do wonder

over a year ago

This won't change things. Look at how many lessons learnt since children have died, been taken into care due to neglect etc, it keeps happening. It gets ignored. On the other hand it now opens up potentially much more false accusations from vindictive parents using children as pawn against each other.

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

I think the law as it stands in England is sufficient.

I remember when I was in school in Scotland during the 1950s & 60s, the law allowed corporal punishment and the school also allowed written punishment lines.

Teachers used to give the boys the belt (strap across the hand) or line but the girl could only be given lines.

This caused complaints, the girl wanted to be given the belt because the belt lasted about 5 minutes at the most but writing 50 or 100 lines took between half an hour to an hour or longer and also induced very painful writer’s cramp in the hand. I should also add we used to have a teacher who would use lines as punishment, however he insisted that each alternate letter was in a different colour of ink (e.g. blue, red, blue, red) you can imagine how long that took to write out.

Also I have a personal memory of my own experience of corporal punishment in the home, my brothers, sister and I were brought up by my mother, we all respected her and she never used to smack us except for one day when I was about 13 or 14, I was doing something I cannot remember what but I persisted doing it after repeated warning to stop doing what I was doing. My mother final said if you do not stop, I will whip you (we used to ride and had a number of riding crops and a whip. I could tell she was serious about her threat, even though I had not been hit before but I knew my mother would keep her word. I repeated what I was doing and she took the whip from the hall and struck me across the back of my legs.

Did this have a lasting effect on me, yes, but not what many may think, rather than feeling abused or hard done by, I felt very ashamed that I had forced my mother to punish me in this way. I knew doing it hurt her more than it hurt me and that was my fault and it made me value my mother more.

I understand there is a time and a place for corporal punishment and nothing will convince me otherwise.

What I do think is wrong is when a parent or anyone hits out in temper because they have lost control, that is when harm is done.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

My Grandad was hit often as a child. He was beasted in the Army later on. He never advocated any form of physical chastisement on children because he knew it was completely inappropriate and counterintuitive. The more my Grandad was caned for skipping school, the more he skipped school and the less he learned. He joined the Army at 14 instead.

Plenty of older people were traumatised by the way they were hit, smacked, beaten as children.

It's completely unnecessary and unacceptable to hit a child, no matter the reason or how "hard" you do it.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"Been banned in Scotland for years "

I was a regular attender at the front of the class for the belt. There is no way it should ever be brought back. It wasn't even of it's time, it was just violence advocated by the school, local council and the government.

By *batMan
over a year ago

"What's happened on the Scottish English border, where this is not a new thing? This is effectively an "old news" thread really.

Gbat

The old border was Hadrians Wall. Does that divide Newcastle ?"

Classic deflection. Have you thought about standing for a political position?

Gbat

over a year ago

North West

"What's happened on the Scottish English border, where this is not a new thing? This is effectively an "old news" thread really.

Gbat

Gbat "

Don't give him ideas

over a year ago

"My Grandad was hit often as a child. He was beasted in the Army later on. He never advocated any form of physical chastisement on children because he knew it was completely inappropriate and counterintuitive. The more my Grandad was caned for skipping school, the more he skipped school and the less he learned. He joined the Army at 14 instead.

Plenty of older people were traumatised by the way they were hit, smacked, beaten as children.

It's completely unnecessary and unacceptable to hit a child, no matter the reason or how "hard" you do it. "

I agree and I've never understood how if I slapped the back of an adults legs because I didn't like what they said or did, or someone else's child it's assault but if I did it to my own child it isn't.

over a year ago

I keep reading the title as snacking ban. The bara brith industry sighs a sigh of relief.

over a year ago

Parents in Wales." Behave or your going over the boarder"

Sounds a bit like bosnia...

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Gbat

Gbat

Don't give him ideas "

Now that's an idea...

over a year ago

Damn I'll have to stop taking my kids to wales for a good beating. Normally write a list of things they've done to piss me off, then every 6 months or so, take them there for a good thrashing. Now what am I gonna do?

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Glad it's done. Violence has no place in the home. Slapping is just lazy parenting where you can't or won't take the time to share and explain the reasons not to do something.

Wish they could do the same with people who shout at their kids all the time.

By *apxxxWoman
over a year ago

North Shropshire not Wales!!!ffs & Manchester

Its 2022 and its took them this long to decide its wrong!!!!!

over a year ago

Does this law stop you hitting other peoples kids?

By *ost SockMan
over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Overall, they’ll probably figure it out, just as settlements on/straddling borders manage the world over.

We couldn’t really have a situation where a law seen as beneficial to a country couldn’t be brought in because it might cause a bit of head-scratching along a border.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

"Its 2022 and its took them this long to decide its wrong!!!!! "

Scotland only banned outright in 2020.

I believe in England and Northern Ireland it is illegal for a parent or carer to smack their own child unless it amounts to “reasonable punishment”, so they’ve not banned it outright (yet). I may be wrong though.

And whilst Wales may be late in getting on board, it’s better late than never.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Its 2022 and its took them this long to decide its wrong!!!!!

I believe in England and Northern Ireland it is illegal for a parent or carer to smack their own child unless it amounts to “reasonable punishment”, so they’ve not banned it outright (yet). I may be wrong though.

And whilst Wales may be late in getting on board, it’s better late than never."

Reasonable punishment . I wonder if some people sat in a room and listed these reasonable punishments and the misdemeanours they should be applied to or are they leaving it up to individual courts to decide. Maybe there's a handy guide somewhere so that unwary parents don't dish out one more hit than is legally allowed.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Reasonable punishment . I wonder if some people sat in a room and listed these reasonable punishments and the misdemeanours they should be applied to or are they leaving it up to individual courts to decide. Maybe there's a handy guide somewhere so that unwary parents don't dish out one more hit than is legally allowed.

"

I dread to think. I mean you’d like to hope there wouldn’t be a list somewhere, but these days nothing would surprise me when it comes to the law.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I dread to think. I mean you’d like to hope there wouldn’t be a list somewhere, but these days nothing would surprise me when it comes to the law."

I find it surreal and bizarre that people would actually think that it's ok to use the word reasonable when talking about physically punishing a child.

"Ok Fred that's you've hit him a reasonable amount you can stop now" . It's bonkers.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I dread to think. I mean you’d like to hope there wouldn’t be a list somewhere, but these days nothing would surprise me when it comes to the law."

Think when it came into Wales, it was something along the lines of the kind of mark that was left after the hit. I mean seriously what on earth

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I dread to think. I mean you’d like to hope there wouldn’t be a list somewhere, but these days nothing would surprise me when it comes to the law.

Think when it came into Wales, it was something along the lines of the kind of mark that was left after the hit. I mean seriously what on earth "

Jesus Christ!

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Think when it came into Wales, it was something along the lines of the kind of mark that was left after the hit. I mean seriously what on earth

Jesus Christ! "

Whilst absolutely against corporal punishment, there has to be *some* definition. If a child reaches for a cup of tea on a table, stick a fork in a plug socket or run into a road you may act fast to push their hand/body away with your hand. A smack to me is leaving a mark or intending the action to cause pain or distress. The purpose and intent are more important than the action, but they could look identical

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Would a guide book be useful here as someone suggested? Also it could have a pull out map so that parents should be in no doubt which technique to use. There could be an app but in my expery mobile phone coverage is very poor along Offa's Dyke which is the true Welsh border. Or even at Hadrian's wall to the north

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Jesus Christ!

Whilst absolutely against corporal punishment, there has to be *some* definition. If a child reaches for a cup of tea on a table, stick a fork in a plug socket or run into a road you may act fast to push their hand/body away with your hand. A smack to me is leaving a mark or intending the action to cause pain or distress. The purpose and intent are more important than the action, but they could look identical "

That's not punishment though. I had occasion to tap my children's hands when they reached for a hot cup of tea for instance but not frequently and I never needed to do more than tap their hand away.

By *batMan
over a year ago

"Its 2022 and its took them this long to decide its wrong!!!!! "

Yes, slow! But not as slow as the English government, who still think it's okay.

Gbat

over a year ago

"Would a guide book be useful here as someone suggested? Also it could have a pull out map so that parents should be in no doubt which technique to use. There could be an app but in my expery mobile phone coverage is very poor along Offa's Dyke which is the true Welsh border. Or even at Hadrian's wall to the north "

Kind of like a karma sutra but for smacking? I think you're onto something. Obviously it would need to be a download, not a website, so those living in desolation can nip to their local piece of civilisation to grab some free wifi to get it. It could be a whole series, like a Dummies Guide. Could have one for wife beating, where to punch that the bruises don't show so much etc. Honestly Tom, I underestimated you...

By *batMan
over a year ago

"Does this law stop you hitting other peoples kids?"

It's always an assault when you beat someone. However, some assaults are lawful, for instance, self defence, or arresting an offender, as long as only reasonable force is used.

For common assault (essentially an assault that leaves no injury) there used to be a defence that the assault was a reasonable chastisement of your child. It was never legal to hit them and leave marks, but now the defence of lawful chastisement has also been removed. It was never a defence to chastise someone else's child.

For anyone getting mixed up with kids grabbing for a hot cuppa or running into the road, it's still very legal to grab them to stop them and protect them.

So to answer your question, you can hit other people's kids, but it better be for a fucking good reason! (and you will probably have to explain that reason either to their angry parent, the police, a court, or possibly all of them!).

Gbat

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Does this law stop you hitting other peoples kids?

It's always an assault when you beat someone. However, some assaults are lawful, for instance, self defence, or arresting an offender, as long as only reasonable force is used.

For common assault (essentially an assault that leaves no injury) there used to be a defence that the assault was a reasonable chastisement of your child. It was never legal to hit them and leave marks, but now the defence of lawful chastisement has also been removed. It was never a defence to chastise someone else's child.

For anyone getting mixed up with kids grabbing for a hot cuppa or running into the road, it's still very legal to grab them to stop them and protect them.

So to answer your question, you can hit other people's kids, but it better be for a fucking good reason! (and you will probably have to explain that reason either to their angry parent, the police, a court, or possibly all of them!).

Gbat "

What if they have a weapon?

By *batMan
over a year ago

"What if they have a weapon?"

Other people's kids or the ones grabbing a hot cuppa?

Gbat

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"What if they have a weapon?

Gbat

"

:Tongue in cheek alert:

When my kids had an automatic rifle in one hand a hunting knife between their teeth and reached for a hot cup of tea I used to ground them and take their teddy away.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"What if they have a weapon?

Gbat

:Tongue in cheek alert:

When my kids had an automatic rifle in one hand a hunting knife between their teeth and reached for a hot cup of tea I used to ground them and take their teddy away. "

When we were kids then everyone carried a knife to cut wood, make bows and arrows and cut rope, played split the kipper... No one stabbed

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Split the kipper?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Yes. Split the Kipper

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

It was a game all of the kids played with knives

By *batMan
over a year ago

We used to play split the knife. You had to hit it just right with a frozen Kipper. Those were the days.

Of course, if you got it wrong, you'd get a beating when you got home, but that was expected then, wasn't it?

The hot summers lasted for nine months, every winter had huge snowdrifts, you could call at any house to get a cup of tea and often they would give you lashings of apple pie to take with you.

Only occasionally would they murdr children and even then they wouldn't put the images online.

Gbat

By *ornucopiaMan
over a year ago

Bexley

"

I totally agree that there is no place for smacking kids but this argument is illogical. You wouldn't expect your boss to make aeroplane noises with a spoon to encourage you to eat if you said you didn't feel like dinner either. The way we treat adults and children is very different for a variety of reasons and in many many circumstances. The argument that we don't do x with adults so shouldn't with children is inconsistent and irrelevant. Not smacking kids is an argument that stands on its own merits and needs no comparisons to justify it.

Mr"

Over a day later after reading the above post, my mind is still confused. I've tried every spoon in my cutlery drawer and I can't seem to get any of them to make an aeroplane noise! Are we talking piston, turboprop or jet?

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Split the kipper? "

Do I need to explain

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

"Personally, I agree with it.

Corporal punishment has a place in the home ..but only when consenting adults are involved. "

This

over a year ago

"Totally agree with the new law though I thought it was already in place to be honest. Don't understand why we are always the first for the laws though paying for carrier bags, 50p a unit for alcohol and now the smacking ban are we the UK guinea pigs . "

Been that way since they drowned a village to water the scum and the scousers. No international sanctions back then though.

over a year ago

North West

"We used to play split the knife. You had to hit it just right with a frozen Kipper. Those were the days.

Of course, if you got it wrong, you'd get a beating when you got home, but that was expected then, wasn't it?

The hot summers lasted for nine months, every winter had huge snowdrifts, you could call at any house to get a cup of tea and often they would give you lashings of apple pie to take with you.

Only occasionally would they murdr children and even then they wouldn't put the images online.

Gbat

"

Were you in the Famous Five (except for the murder bit)?

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"I think the law as it stands in England is sufficient.

I remember when I was in school in Scotland during the 1950s & 60s, the law allowed corporal punishment and the school also allowed written punishment lines.

Teachers used to give the boys the belt (strap across the hand) or line but the girl could only be given lines.

This caused complaints, the girl wanted to be given the belt because the belt lasted about 5 minutes at the most but writing 50 or 100 lines took between half an hour to an hour or longer and also induced very painful writer’s cramp in the hand. I should also add we used to have a teacher who would use lines as punishment, however he insisted that each alternate letter was in a different colour of ink (e.g. blue, red, blue, red) you can imagine how long that took to write out.

Also I have a personal memory of my own experience of corporal punishment in the home, my brothers, sister and I were brought up by my mother, we all respected her and she never used to smack us except for one day when I was about 13 or 14, I was doing something I cannot remember what but I persisted doing it after repeated warning to stop doing what I was doing. My mother final said if you do not stop, I will whip you (we used to ride and had a number of riding crops and a whip. I could tell she was serious about her threat, even though I had not been hit before but I knew my mother would keep her word. I repeated what I was doing and she took the whip from the hall and struck me across the back of my legs.

Did this have a lasting effect on me, yes, but not what many may think, rather than feeling abused or hard done by, I felt very ashamed that I had forced my mother to punish me in this way. I knew doing it hurt her more than it hurt me and that was my fault and it made me value my mother more.

I understand there is a time and a place for corporal punishment and nothing will convince me otherwise.

What I do think is wrong is when a parent or anyone hits out in temper because they have lost control, that is when harm is done.

"

Hitting an adult is assault… why should hitting a child be any different?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Do you genuinely believe its ok to be completely rational, calm and reasonable and hit a child?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Hitting an adult is assault… why should hitting a child be any different?"

I struggle with this too

By *arry247Couple
over a year ago

Wakefield

"

Hitting an adult is assault… why should hitting a child be any different?"

Read what I wrote then perhaps you may comprehend the difference.

One is done through anger one is done through love

over a year ago

North West

"

One is done through anger one is done through love"

How do you hit a child out of love?? What a load of old cobblers (and that's the polite version). Perhaps violent spouses should be forgiven, if they beat their partner "out of love"?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Is it ok to hit an adult if you love them?

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"

Any form of physical attack that is not consensual cannot be described as through love…

over a year ago

"

Is it ok to hit an adult if you love them?"

Wife beaters used to say that. You only do it cause you love 'em.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Wife beaters used to say that. You only do it cause you love 'em."

A lot of abuse is carried out in the name of love apparently

over a year ago

"

A lot of abuse is carried out in the name of love apparently"

Like U2 records you mean?

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"

Like U2 records you mean?"

. Yep

over a year ago

North West

"

. Yep"

I thought you were meant to Stop! in the name of love. Maybe it's one of those misheard lyrics?

over a year ago

"

. Yep

I thought you were meant to Stop! in the name of love. Maybe it's one of those misheard lyrics?"

Now that's a tune.

No, I meant U2's "In the naaaaaame of love, one more in the name of love"

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Going off at a slight tangent. I was watching Good Karma Hospital recently, a male doctor had dumped a female doctor and left. On his return a female nurse punched him in the nose as did his ex. Everyone including him said he deserved it. I was horrified that this was seen as ok. Imagine if it had been a woman who'd been punched on the nose for dumping a guy then told she deserved it.

There are some seriously mucked up ideas when it comes to physical violence

over a year ago

North West

"Going off at a slight tangent. I was watching Good Karma Hospital recently, a male doctor had dumped a female doctor and left. On his return a female nurse punched him in the nose as did his ex. Everyone including him said he deserved it. I was horrified that this was seen as ok. Imagine if it had been a woman who'd been punched on the nose for dumping a guy then told she deserved it.

There are some seriously mucked up ideas when it comes to physical violence"

There's a lot of hypocrisy like that. I do not agree with it at all!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"Going off at a slight tangent. I was watching Good Karma Hospital recently, a male doctor had dumped a female doctor and left. On his return a female nurse punched him in the nose as did his ex. Everyone including him said he deserved it. I was horrified that this was seen as ok. Imagine if it had been a woman who'd been punched on the nose for dumping a guy then told she deserved it.

There are some seriously mucked up ideas when it comes to physical violence

There's a lot of hypocrisy like that. I do not agree with it at all!"

I think it ties in with the idea that there are certain types of people that it is ok to physically assault because they've done something wrong or hurt your feelings.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Meanwhile, back on the Welsh borders... What would happen if the hospital was bang, smack on the border. It's a bit like the plane which crashes into Offa,s Dyke. Where do they bury the survivors? England or Wales?

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

Wales is a lovely place to be buried. We have something for everyone. Sunshine and seashores. Rain and mountains. Castles, pubs, pubs and Castles.

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Meanwhile, back on the Welsh borders... What would happen if the hospital was bang, smack on the border. It's a bit like the plane which crashes into Offa,s Dyke. Where do they bury the survivors? England or Wales?"

I’d imagine the survivors would be a bit miffed if you tried burying them

By *heRazorsEdgeMan
over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

"Wales is a lovely place to be buried. We have something for everyone. Sunshine and seashores. Rain and mountains. Castles, pubs, pubs and Castles. "

Pubs called The Castle..

By *batMan
over a year ago

"Totally agree with the new law though I thought it was already in place to be honest. Don't understand why we are always the first for the laws though paying for carrier bags, 50p a unit for alcohol and now the smacking ban are we the UK guinea pigs "

I'm not so sure about the alcohol unit pricing, but the others are good things. Why wait for other less progressive Governments to catch up? We're not guinea pigs, we're leaders.

These laws are brought in by the Welsh Government for people in Wales. It's got nothing to do with any other UK Government and is part of Welsh self determination.

Gbat

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

"Meanwhile, back on the Welsh borders... What would happen if the hospital was bang, smack on the border. It's a bit like the plane which crashes into Offa,s Dyke. Where do they bury the survivors? England or Wales?

I’d imagine the survivors would be a bit miffed if you tried burying them"

Probably Essex first aid - if they protest they're alive.

Post new Message to Thread