Back to The Lounge

Ukraine nerely a month old

Jump to newest

By *lder A Wiser Passion OP   Woman
over a year ago

morecambe

Ok folk do you think is going to happen

1. do you think we at some point we going to get dragged into it

2. Do you think the world could be doing more to help the good people of the Ukraine

3. There is talk that Putin has Cancer and is dieing of it do you think that true

4. do you think this bloody war could go on years

5. Do you think we need to be taking in more refugees or are you of the mind set of not our problem

6 Are you of the mind set Putin has to go what every

7 finaly do you think Nato has it part to play in all the choas that happening over there at percent with how fast it growing?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Seems like a thread for the politics group.

over a year ago

He thinks U2 will like this thread. ^

By *ikesEmBigMan
over a year ago

Herts

Do you think if they weren't white we'd be inviting them into our homes for £350/ month?

over a year ago

"Do you think if they weren't white we'd be inviting them into our homes for £350/ month? "

Yes.

over a year ago

over a year ago

On your question 4 - the US have apparently considered the fact it will go on for years when considering response.

By *ikesEmBigMan
over a year ago

Herts

"Do you think if they weren't white we'd be inviting them into our homes for £350/ month?

Yes."

Sure Syria and Afghanistan will enjoy the offer

over a year ago

"Do you think if they weren't white we'd be inviting them into our homes for £350/ month? "

Well I guess the answer is in whether we have done before or not. Lol. And also in the continuous media ‘they look like us’ ‘this is Europe’ stuff.

over a year ago

"Do you think if they weren't white we'd be inviting them into our homes for £350/ month?

Yes."

Perhaps, but the scheme wasn't setup for those fleeing Syria, or Afghanistan even though they needed help just as much. There has been a lot of casual racism even in the reporting about Ukraine.

over a year ago

Yes.

Sure Syria and Afghanistan will enjoy the offer"

I must have missed on the news when there was a full scale invasion of Afghanistan and Syria from Russia attempting to annex parts of them and demilitarise the country.

over a year ago

Yes.

I must have missed on the news when there was a full scale invasion of Afghanistan and Syria from Russia attempting to annex parts of them and demilitarise the country.

"

We shouldn’t hierarchise refugees?

over a year ago

Yes.

"

People fleeing war and in need of help was the relevant bit, I thought?

over a year ago

Yes.

"

There was one by the USA and us though? Right?

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes.

There was one by the USA and us though? Right? "

That doesn't count because reasons

over a year ago

Yes.

We shouldn’t hierarchise refugees?"

Is that what has happened?

Surely there has to be exceptional circumstances.

What is happening in Ukraine is unique.

If people want to play the race card and politicise it then that’s on them.

It’s an entirely different situation altogether.

over a year ago

Yes.

There was one by the USA and us though? Right? "

Did we?

Again I must have missed this, shocking because I was there.

Or are you referring to when Afghanistan asked for assistance in removing the taliban from power to stop them extorting and murdering Afghan nationals?

over a year ago

Yes.

Did we?

Or are you referring to when Afghanistan asked for assistance in removing the taliban from power to stop them extorting and murdering Afghan nationals?

"

I thought the point was refugees fleeing a military conflict caused by a foreign invasion? That's all...

over a year ago

Yes.

"

I'm just observing how differently citizens from different countries are discussed in the media. And how the UK government and citizens are responding. Is that playing a race card? Would you not say that all wars are political? Not sure I get your comment.

over a year ago

Yes.

Did we?

I thought the point was refugees fleeing a military conflict caused by a foreign invasion? That's all..."

See you what thought did.

over a year ago

Yes.

"

In my opinion yes. In my opinion it’s also not playing ‘the race card’. But it’s Sunday so I still agree to disagree with you and wish you well for the day.

over a year ago

Yes.

I'm just observing how differently citizens from different countries are discussed in the media. And how the UK government and citizens are responding. Is that playing a race card? Would you not say that all wars are political? Not sure I get your comment. "

“This isn’t Iraq or Afghanistan […] This is a relatively civilised, relatively European city” - Charlie D’Agata, CBS

“War is no longer something visited upon impoverished and remote populations” - Daniel Hannan, The Telegraph

over a year ago

Yes.

In my opinion yes. In my opinion it’s also not playing ‘the race card’. But it’s Sunday so I still agree to disagree with you and wish you well for the day. "

will*

over a year ago

Yes.

I'm just observing how differently citizens from different countries are discussed in the media. And how the UK government and citizens are responding. Is that playing a race card? Would you not say that all wars are political? Not sure I get your comment. "

I wasn’t referring to you, I was saying the initial comment of “would this be the case if they weren’t white”.

Does every single conversation and situation have to be reduced to race?

And I’m well aware of how political wars are.

By politicise I meant point scoring, generally between liberals and tories.

over a year ago

Yes.

Did we?

I thought the point was refugees fleeing a military conflict caused by a foreign invasion? That's all...

See you what thought did."

So many questions....

over a year ago

Yes.

In my opinion yes. In my opinion it’s also not playing ‘the race card’. But it’s Sunday so I still agree to disagree with you and wish you well for the day. "

I wasn’t suggesting you were playing the race card, that was the post above.

But yes, enjoy your day.

That’s enough serious talk for me on a Sunday.

over a year ago

Yes.

Did we?

See what thought did.

So many questions...."

Ask somebody else.

I bored of this already.

By *aughty_Smooth_OperatorMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

Yes.

I'm just observing how differently citizens from different countries are discussed in the media. And how the UK government and citizens are responding. Is that playing a race card? Would you not say that all wars are political? Not sure I get your comment.

“This isn’t Iraq or Afghanistan […] This is a relatively civilised, relatively European city” - Charlie D’Agata, CBS

“War is no longer something visited upon impoverished and remote populations” - Daniel Hannan, The Telegraph"

Exactly double standards iv just read all Ukraine refugees will be given free train journeys what about all the other refugees???

over a year ago

Yes.

I wasn’t referring to you, I was saying the initial comment of “would this be the case if they weren’t white”.

"

I don't think anyone is just reducing it to race, Jon. Just saying that race is a factor in the response from governments, citizens and the media in the UK and elsewhere. Even when it comes to those who are allowed across the Ukraine border. It's very noticeable. Why does it annoy you - you don't often react to anything.

By *entlemanrogueMan
over a year ago

Motherwell

I think we need to find a aay to stop all these so called leaders from starting bullshit wars in the first place

im 43 now and think the UK has been in one or another bullshit war every year i have lived, no matter what clown is sitting in no10.

i do NOT and never have consented to my tax money being used to kill innocent people.

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Yes.

“War is no longer something visited upon impoverished and remote populations” - Daniel Hannan, The Telegraph

Exactly double standards iv just read all Ukraine refugees will be given free train journeys what about all the other refugees???"

Being reductionist to justify hysterical is always a waste of time. There is always a different reaction to each crises. Not sure it is often 3.5M - mainly women and children - in a few weeks. Don't believe all Ukrainians are white either!

over a year ago

Yes.

Exactly double standards iv just read all Ukraine refugees will be given free train journeys what about all the other refugees???

Being reductionist to justify hysterical is always a waste of time. There is always a different reaction to each crises. Not sure it is often 3.5M - mainly women and children - in a few weeks. Don't believe all Ukrainians are white either!

"

Who is hysterical?

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Yes.

Who is hysterical? "

Not me. But saying train rides are the indicator of racial discrimination seems to reduce an entire war just to support a highly debateable point. Race in this case is Russian on Ukrainian, not a BLM or any colour (sic "race") movement. Trying to conflate is hysterical and probably unhelpful.

over a year ago

Yes.

Who is hysterical?

Not me. But saying train rides are the indicator of racial discrimination seems to reduce an entire war just to support a highly debateable point. Race in this case is Russian on Ukrainian, not a BLM or any colour (sic "race") movement. Trying to conflate is hysterical and probably unhelpful. "

It was a comment about double standards. Can't see how that is "hysterical". If it's highly debatable - then make your side of the argument instead of just calling others hysterical for a very mild comment.

over a year ago

Birmingham

Yes.

Who is hysterical?

Not me. But saying train rides are the indicator of racial discrimination seems to reduce an entire war just to support a highly debateable point. Race in this case is Russian on Ukrainian, not a BLM or any colour (sic "race") movement. Trying to conflate is hysterical and probably unhelpful.

It was a comment about double standards. Can't see how that is "hysterical". If it's highly debatable - then make your side of the argument instead of just calling others hysterical for a very mild comment. "

Thanks I didn't mention race just said all refugees should be treated the same

over a year ago

Yes.

Who is hysterical?

It was a comment about double standards. Can't see how that is "hysterical". If it's highly debatable - then make your side of the argument instead of just calling others hysterical for a very mild comment.

Thanks I didn't mention race just said all refugees should be treated the same "

And the fact that they aren’t, coupled with the reporting that inconceivable has pointed out is evidence enough of a racist double standard. And I think it’s ok to acknowledge that though Eastern Europeans have often been excluded from our ideas of whiteness, they are being made ‘white’ during the reporting of this war and that is to suggest they are more ‘deserving’ of help and support than Black and Brown refugees.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan
over a year ago

Coventry

1. We are already dragged into it. In terms of a bitter economic war (which the average person hasn't seen it really bite yet but it will). And in terms of supply of weapons and other support. For example I did hear rumours that the Ukrainians are receiving the militay radar data from surrounding countries, thus effectively having some form of air defence radar coverage. Our current involvement comes at great cost and great risk.

2. Short of further (as there is already risk) of starting WW3 there only so much we can do. Maybe cut Russia gas completely. But governments also have to ballence outcome v reward. It may be a case of lots of pain for little effect on Russia's actions. Maybe more arms which also has risk as Russia looks to interdict and attack supply routes. But on the ground not much more option short of declaring war on Russia.

3. Haven't got a clue about that one.

4. Yes. As long as Ukraine is willing to fight and Putin is in power and bloody pig headed enough not to concede defeat. The Russian's haven't got the manpower, resources or skills to successfully occupie a country that size without the compliance of a good proportion of its people. So I predict Russia has already lost a long term insurgency which could last till leadership change. I don't see any future leadership continuing to stay in Ukraine.

5. I don't see how we can tell the world Ukraine is a global crusade but then say the refugees are another country's problem not ours. We are pulling out the stops to help in other ways and so every country should pull out the stops to help the refugee crisis. Including offering a fair slice of accommodation and support.

6. I think with a man who has revealed his potential risk, pig headedness and contempt we must aim to see removed. But this is not in our gift. That is for either the Russian's to do or natural death.

7. NATO has a job to defend its members. Its is supporting were it can. I have no doubt in the heaviest of terms it will defend any member attacked. But to take the offensive without provocation of article 5 would ultimately be a failure to defend its members when the whole world is up in smoke.

Basically the thing that makes this a difficult situation and very challenging to deal with is because Russia is a powerful and suitable nuclear power. If it were a large conventional power like Iraq I have no doubt we would have a no fly zone, boots on the ground and maybe even interdiction of supply, assests, command and control within Russia it's self. But the potential to walk into the end of the world makes this far more trickier.

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Yes.

Who is hysterical?

And the fact that they aren’t, coupled with the reporting that inconceivable has pointed out is evidence enough of a racist double standard. And I think it’s ok to acknowledge that though Eastern Europeans have often been excluded from our ideas of whiteness, they are being made ‘white’ during the reporting of this war and that is to suggest they are more ‘deserving’ of help and support than Black and Brown refugees. "

This off-topic strand of the thread (which was quoted for clarity) proposed being white as a determining factor about our *individual* responses. Saying how X or Y validates this, out of any context, is reductionist. The agenda in seeking to show how racist our response is is a form of hysteria. It is irrational in the face of all that is happening to 3.5 Million women and children who have left their country in a couple of weeks. Surely the race issue is Russia against Ukraine - but I guess this is Fab after all.

over a year ago

Yes.

Who is hysterical?

And the fact that they aren’t, coupled with the reporting that inconceivable has pointed out is evidence enough of a racist double standard. And I think it’s ok to acknowledge that though Eastern Europeans have often been excluded from our ideas of whiteness, they are being made ‘white’ during the reporting of this war and that is to suggest they are more ‘deserving’ of help and support than Black and Brown refugees.

This off-topic strand of the thread (which was quoted for clarity) proposed being white as a determining factor about our *individual* responses. Saying how X or Y validates this, out of any context, is reductionist. The agenda in seeking to show how racist our response is is a form of hysteria. It is irrational in the face of all that is happening to 3.5 Million women and children who have left their country in a couple of weeks. Surely the race issue is Russia against Ukraine - but I guess this is Fab after all. "

Hysterical and now irrational. Sticking a rainbow at the end doesn't hide dismissing others' concerns with clever word salad. There is nothing problematic about going off-topic. We all recognise the humanitarian disaster that is Ukraine.

over a year ago

"

This off-topic strand of the thread (which was quoted for clarity) proposed being white as a determining factor about our *individual* responses. Saying how X or Y validates this, out of any context, is reductionist. The agenda in seeking to show how racist our response is is a form of hysteria. It is irrational in the face of all that is happening to 3.5 Million women and children who have left their country in a couple of weeks. Surely the race issue is Russia against Ukraine - but I guess this is Fab after all. "

. This is fab after all. You’re right.

over a year ago

"

This off-topic strand of the thread (which was quoted for clarity) proposed being white as a determining factor about our *individual* responses. Saying how X or Y validates this, out of any context, is reductionist. The agenda in seeking to show how racist our response is is a form of hysteria. It is irrational in the face of all that is happening to 3.5 Million women and children who have left their country in a couple of weeks. Surely the race issue is Russia against Ukraine - but I guess this is Fab after all.

. This is fab after all. You’re right. "

We know what you meant by that

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Yes.

"

Black students evacuated from Ukraine have found it next to impossible to join family in the UK. There was an article on the BBC about it yesterday. Does that have anything to do with race, perhaps?

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

It makes me both sad and annoyed that we have so many strange characters in charge around the world.

over a year ago

"1. We are already dragged into it. In terms of a bitter economic war (which the average person hasn't seen it really bite yet but it will). And in terms of supply of weapons and other support. For example I did hear rumours that the Ukrainians are receiving the militay radar data from surrounding countries, thus effectively having some form of air defence radar coverage. Our current involvement comes at great cost and great risk.

2. Short of further (as there is already risk) of starting WW3 there only so much we can do. Maybe cut Russia gas completely. But governments also have to ballence outcome v reward. It may be a case of lots of pain for little effect on Russia's actions. Maybe more arms which also has risk as Russia looks to interdict and attack supply routes. But on the ground not much more option short of declaring war on Russia.

3. Haven't got a clue about that one.

4. Yes. As long as Ukraine is willing to fight and Putin is in power and bloody pig headed enough not to concede defeat. The Russian's haven't got the manpower, resources or skills to successfully occupie a country that size without the compliance of a good proportion of its people. So I predict Russia has already lost a long term insurgency which could last till leadership change. I don't see any future leadership continuing to stay in Ukraine.

5. I don't see how we can tell the world Ukraine is a global crusade but then say the refugees are another country's problem not ours. We are pulling out the stops to help in other ways and so every country should pull out the stops to help the refugee crisis. Including offering a fair slice of accommodation and support.

6. I think with a man who has revealed his potential risk, pig headedness and contempt we must aim to see removed. But this is not in our gift. That is for either the Russian's to do or natural death.

7. NATO has a job to defend its members. Its is supporting were it can. I have no doubt in the heaviest of terms it will defend any member attacked. But to take the offensive without provocation of article 5 would ultimately be a failure to defend its members when the whole world is up in smoke.

Basically the thing that makes this a difficult situation and very challenging to deal with is because Russia is a powerful and suitable nuclear power. If it were a large conventional power like Iraq I have no doubt we would have a no fly zone, boots on the ground and maybe even interdiction of supply, assests, command and control within Russia it's self. But the potential to walk into the end of the world makes this far more trickier.

"

Especially your final point.

over a year ago

Yes.

Black students evacuated from Ukraine have found it next to impossible to join family in the UK. There was an article on the BBC about it yesterday. Does that have anything to do with race, perhaps?"

*Hi and thanks for you’re reply.

I’m currently out of office and away from this thread.

Please forward any questions or replies to literally anybody the fuck else.

Kind regards.

Jonny.

over a year ago

Yes.

Perhaps, but the scheme wasn't setup for those fleeing Syria, or Afghanistan even though they needed help just as much. There has been a lot of casual racism even in the reporting about Ukraine. "

The number of people signing up for the scheme was orders of magnitude higher 100x more (for Syria vs Ukraine), don’t recall the precise numbers. But it was 20k on first day or so for Ukraine, 1000 for the entire period of the Syrian scheme.

Was £350 the only factor? It is a question we should ask ourselves In due course.

Shiuld also be factored in that there are a LOT of Polish people in the UK, and they are doing a huge amount to help their Ukrainian neighbours. This could be a factor too. Syrians did not have the same connection bade in UK.

over a year ago

Birmingham

Yes.

Perhaps, but the scheme wasn't setup for those fleeing Syria, or Afghanistan even though they needed help just as much. There has been a lot of casual racism even in the reporting about Ukraine.

The number of people signing up for the scheme was orders of magnitude higher 100x more (for Syria vs Ukraine), don’t recall the precise numbers. But it was 20k on first day or so for Ukraine, 1000 for the entire period of the Syrian scheme.

Was £350 the only factor? It is a question we should ask ourselves In due course.

Shiuld also be factored in that there are a LOT of Polish people in the UK, and they are doing a huge amount to help their Ukrainian neighbours. This could be a factor too. Syrians did not have the same connection bade in UK.

"

Connection shouldn't have to be a factor at the end of the day we are all humans on this earth and due to these mupets in power trying to make new world oder their will always be war with each other no mater what country, any race, religion there is until the end of time. There has been war there since the start of time so it's one thing that will never go away. The only thing which would rectify all this is to start over from the beginning one man one women and both same race a one race world which would have peace

over a year ago

There will always be war and human rights violated. That's the world. All we can do is have deep sorrow for the innocent individuals and families injured, killed and trumatised by this.

By *ighty_tightyMan
over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"

Black students evacuated from Ukraine have found it next to impossible to join family in the UK. There was an article on the BBC about it yesterday. Does that have anything to do with race, perhaps?"

Black students from where? Are they from somewhere else studying in Ukraine? If that's the case then wouldn't they go back "home" rather than to the UK? (Just asking, I have no idea)

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"

Black students evacuated from Ukraine have found it next to impossible to join family in the UK. There was an article on the BBC about it yesterday. Does that have anything to do with race, perhaps?

Black students from where? Are they from somewhere else studying in Ukraine? If that's the case then wouldn't they go back "home" rather than to the UK? (Just asking, I have no idea)"

I don't know where they are from originally. They are refugees from Ukraine too, though. Why should their status as students or similar prevent them joining family? The country they originate from may be equally unsafe to return to.

Post new Message to Thread