Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What age is appropriate

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

To tell kids that Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth fairly (plus all other fairies) are not real.

I say 3.

Unless they’re advanced for their age then 2.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Wait......there's no father Christmas

over a year ago

"Wait......there's no father Christmas "

Score 1 for me.

By *irtydevil666Man
over a year ago

bristol

What your telling me there not real...

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"Wait......there's no father Christmas "

I know, he is called St. Nicholas.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Wait......there's no father Christmas

I know, he is called St. Nicholas. "

I'm crying here

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

same age of criminal responsibility

over a year ago

Never!!!!

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Never! My answer has always been well I believe and I get presents. My two would know how upset I’d be if I thought they didn’t believe .

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I personally feel it's much more fun to mess with their minds. Say you have a surprise for their third birthday and tell them immediately before they blow out the candles. Then wait a week to say you were only joking it after a short pause say "or was I ?"

By *dalisqueWoman
over a year ago

land of make believe

My son is 30 and we have never had a discussion other than,if you don't believe you don't get.

over a year ago

I’d say as soon as they can speak. Tell them that Santa isn’t real, bunnies don’t lay eggs, the dog died and didn’t go to a farm and their uncle isn’t cool, he’s an alcoholic.

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"I personally feel it's much more fun to mess with their minds. Say you have a surprise for their third birthday and tell them immediately before they blow out the candles. Then wait a week to say you were only joking it after a short pause say "or was I ?" "

Gawd you're good. I like it.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"My son is 30 and we have never had a discussion other than,if you don't believe you don't get.

"

Yep

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"I’d say as soon as they can speak. Tell them that Santa isn’t real, bunnies don’t lay eggs, the dog died and didn’t go to a farm and their uncle isn’t cool, he’s an alcoholic."

I mean, really! The uncle's an alcoholic

over a year ago

Also, if a stranger told your child in, say Asda, Morrisons, Tesco’s or any other supermarket on the run up to Christmas that he’s not real, would that be ok?

Asking for… myself.

over a year ago

Ah no let children enjoy the thought of Santa & the Easter bunny & anything else for as long as you can

over a year ago

"I’d say as soon as they can speak. Tell them that Santa isn’t real, bunnies don’t lay eggs, the dog died and didn’t go to a farm and their uncle isn’t cool, he’s an alcoholic.

I mean, really! The uncle's an alcoholic "

Also add that their first love will break their heart, moneys aren’t cute, they just throw shit at people and 90% of their TV idols will be arrested for historic crimes.

over a year ago

"I’d say as soon as they can speak. Tell them that Santa isn’t real, bunnies don’t lay eggs, the dog died and didn’t go to a farm and their uncle isn’t cool, he’s an alcoholic.

Also add that their first love will break their heart, moneys aren’t cute, they just throw shit at people and 90% of their TV idols will be arrested for historic crimes."

Monkeys**

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Also add that their first love will break their heart, moneys aren’t cute, they just throw shit at people and 90% of their TV idols will be arrested for historic crimes.

Monkeys**"

You're just being mean now

over a year ago

Monkeys**

You're just being mean now "

I have a very cynical view of the world.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"I personally feel it's much more fun to mess with their minds. Say you have a surprise for their third birthday and tell them immediately before they blow out the candles. Then wait a week to say you were only joking it after a short pause say "or was I ?"

Gawd you're good. I like it. "

Sometimes I scare myself

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Monkeys**

I have a very cynical view of the world."

Yes, as you get older, you do.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"I personally feel it's much more fun to mess with their minds. Say you have a surprise for their third birthday and tell them immediately before they blow out the candles. Then wait a week to say you were only joking it after a short pause say "or was I ?"

Gawd you're good. I like it.

Sometimes I scare myself "

Yep, I'm frightened

By *dalisqueWoman
over a year ago

land of make believe

"Never! My answer has always been well I believe and I get presents. My two would know how upset I’d be if I thought they didn’t believe . "

Exactly this!

over a year ago

Monkeys**

Yes, as you get older, you do."

Hey!!! Easy on the older!

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

Monkeys**

Hey!!! Easy on the older! "

Wiser then

over a year ago

I don’t want my daughter to believe any of these exist at all but I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to this. We all parent differently

By *an1978Woman
over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

9 for Santa (wish I never started with the Santa thing, he got the credit for us working our arses off.)

Never done the Easter bunny, I think tooth fairy lasted maybe until the eldest was 6.

over a year ago

"I don’t want my daughter to believe any of these exist at all but I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to this. We all parent differently"

I like it.

Impartial.

3 years old it is, settled.

over a year ago

"To tell kids that Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth fairly (plus all other fairies) are not real.

I say 3.

Unless they’re advanced for their age then 2."

Till they don't believe themselves , who are you to spoil it for them ? With the TV and phones and internet now it's very difficult to keep things in order but they're not fools and will find out themselves and when that time comes when they ask you, have a proper discussion with them and say you kept it going cause it's a parents thing to do , don't overcomplicate things , they will understand.

over a year ago

Who would tell a 3 year old that Santa wasn't real? Or any child under the age of 10. That's just cruel

By *an1978Woman
over a year ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

"I don’t want my daughter to believe any of these exist at all but I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to this. We all parent differently"

Yes we all parent differently.

If I had my time again I wouldn't choose to have my children believe in these.

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

Let kids be kids and let them believe for as long as possible. They grow up way to fast these days x

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Let kids be kids and let them believe for as long as possible. They grow up way to fast these days x"

True. They're be miserable for more years than happy x

over a year ago

"Let kids be kids and let them believe for as long as possible. They grow up way to fast these days x

True. They're be miserable for more years than happy x"

yes

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Who would tell a 3 year old that Santa wasn't real? Or any child under the age of 10. That's just cruel "

I agree. The joy and memories we’ve had over the years are magical. I’ll never understand how people could deprive their kids of that. But that’s the world we live in today. Mustn’t bring them up to “lie” . Unfortunately that’s the parents’ choice though not the children’s. .

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

They usually work it out themselves, when they catch you putting the cash under the pillow, or presents under the tree.

Sometimes a horrible adult tells them, just to be a cunt; sometimes, a friend says it and they ask you if it's true with that look of "Don't lie to me now" in their eyes.

Sometimes, you have to tell them in the Summer before they go to Secondary school, because they would be embarrassed by other children if they mentioned Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy.

By *ife NinjaMan
over a year ago

Dunfermline

"They usually work it out themselves, when they catch you putting the cash under the pillow, or presents under the tree.

Sometimes a horrible adult tells them, just to be a cunt; sometimes, a friend says it and they ask you if it's true with that look of "Don't lie to me now" in their eyes.

Sometimes, you have to tell them in the Summer before they go to Secondary school, because they would be embarrassed by other children if they mentioned Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy.

"

If you put cash under my pillow, I'd be chuffed to bits x

over a year ago

So most disagree with 3?

I’ll go for 4 then, give them 1 good year then they can get on with life properly.

By *heDesiCandiTV/TS
over a year ago

Paris, France & not in

"To tell kids that Santa, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth fairly (plus all other fairies) are not real.

I say 3.

This news is worse than premature ejaculation

By *heDesiCandiTV/TS
over a year ago

Paris, France & not in

"So most disagree with 3?

I’ll go for 4 then, give them 1 good year then they can get on with life properly."

Told my nephew at 9 fyi

over a year ago

I say 3.

This news is worse than premature ejaculation "

Especially if you do both at the same time…

over a year ago

Monkeys**

Hey!!! Easy on the older! "

That’s better

over a year ago

I say 3.

Well, I found out at the age of 6-7 when querying my dad, and he fessed up

I think that’s where all my Daddy issues stem from …

over a year ago

You don't tell them they tell you. Then you tell them it's about giving a gift to someone, someone you care about and want to do it because you can, not for something in return.

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

West Kent (near Tonbridge)

I say 3.

What??? Lies lies lies!!

Seriously though, I'd say not long before they start school. Keeps the fun of them believing for a little while, but prevents them finding out in potentially a hurtful way and being made fun of.

over a year ago

First child - they tell you. My eldest was 8 . Second and successive children - about 6 but I bribed the eldest not to tell them.

By *apxxxWoman
over a year ago

North Shropshire not Wales!!!ffs & Manchester

I say 3.

Harsh arent you

over a year ago

Too many conflicting answers.

I’m going for 3/4.

And not just mine, any I see on the run up to Christmas.

Appreciate all your input.

over a year ago

Let kids be kids as long as possible

We didn’t tell our daughters anything being a bernados child was in care very early so tried to give my kids what I never had

Think it was about six when they found out no Santa when I was putting there bicycles together in garden

Children grow up far to early

Let them be kids as long as they want to

By *asha86Couple
over a year ago

walsall

You mean I've been lied to all this time xT

over a year ago

Before they start secondary school.

over a year ago

Wait .WHAt . What do you mean they’re not real

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Never x

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

"They usually work it out themselves, when they catch you putting the cash under the pillow, or presents under the tree.

If you put cash under my pillow, I'd be chuffed to bits x"

You'd need to lose an adult tooth though

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I say 3.

What??? Lies lies lies!!

Seriously though, I'd say not long before they start school. Keeps the fun of them believing for a little while, but prevents them finding out in potentially a hurtful way and being made fun of."

Before they start nursery?

By *egasus NobMan
over a year ago

Merton

"Who would tell a 3 year old that Santa wasn't real? Or any child under the age of 10. That's just cruel "

I would, or I would keep quiet. I find it ironic that people expect kids to be honest, yet they lie first to them. Kids can be kids without monetizing make believe.

over a year ago

I never told my kids shit like that in the first place

My eldest got the concept from others....I never encouraged or discouraged it

over a year ago

"Who would tell a 3 year old that Santa wasn't real? Or any child under the age of 10. That's just cruel

I would, or I would keep quiet. I find it ironic that people expect kids to be honest, yet they lie first to them. Kids can be kids without monetizing make believe.

"

Now I'm lying to my kids and monetising make believe? Huh.

over a year ago

"I never told my kids shit like that in the first place

My eldest got the concept from others....I never encouraged or discouraged it"

And I also don’t think the idea of kids having a good childhood and remaining children has to mean they believe in these concepts. I think plenty of children that didn’t believe in any of these things had nice lives and decent parents lmao

over a year ago

Never.

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

When they figure it out.

over a year ago

And I also don’t think the idea of kids having a good childhood and remaining children has to mean they believe in these concepts. I think plenty of children that didn’t believe in any of these things had nice lives and decent parents lmao "

Well I like to think mine did have happy childhoods and a nice life. Not sure about decent parents, I didn't kill them so that's good.

They are well rounded adults who are winning at life so not believing in the Easter bunny has no long term effects

over a year ago

Also, what the fuck do kids think the tooth fairy is and does?

A little flying fairy psychopath collecting human teeth.

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

over a year ago

"Also, what the fuck do kids think the tooth fairy is and does?

To what end?

Creepy little fuck."

Yup, and you can't talk to strangers yet a guy in a red and white suit in December is OK! Hell, he's even allowed in bedrooms

over a year ago

And I also don’t think the idea of kids having a good childhood and remaining children has to mean they believe in these concepts. I think plenty of children that didn’t believe in any of these things had nice lives and decent parents lmao "

Where did anyone say kids have to believe in those concepts to have a good childhood? We were asked when we told our kids they didn't exist. It doesn't need to turn into an ethical discussion whether doing elf on the shelf makes me a bad parent or not.

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

Yup, and you can't talk to strangers yet a guy in a red and white suit in December is OK! Hell, he's even allowed in bedrooms "

You've chosen not to encourage it with your kids. Your choice. No need to suggest that other parents' choices are wrong.

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

Yup, and you can't talk to strangers yet a guy in a red and white suit in December is OK! Hell, he's even allowed in bedrooms

You've chosen not to encourage it with your kids. Your choice. No need to suggest that other parents' choices are wrong. "

Wow, where did I say other parents choices are wrong!! This is my perception of it! Couldn't give a flying fug what others do or how they parent tbh

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

You've chosen not to encourage it with your kids. Your choice. No need to suggest that other parents' choices are wrong. "

I am adding my opinion into a thread. Absolutely no need to jump on me like that

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

You've chosen not to encourage it with your kids. Your choice. No need to suggest that other parents' choices are wrong.

I am adding my opinion into a thread. Absolutely no need to jump on me like that "

"No need to suggest that other parents choices are wrong" I wouldn't say I did jump on you. I also have an opinion.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

And I also don’t think the idea of kids having a good childhood and remaining children has to mean they believe in these concepts. I think plenty of children that didn’t believe in any of these things had nice lives and decent parents lmao

Where did anyone say kids have to believe in those concepts to have a good childhood? We were asked when we told our kids they didn't exist. It doesn't need to turn into an ethical discussion whether doing elf on the shelf makes me a bad parent or not. "

I do elf on the shelf

over a year ago

Where did anyone say kids have to believe in those concepts to have a good childhood? We were asked when we told our kids they didn't exist. It doesn't need to turn into an ethical discussion whether doing elf on the shelf makes me a bad parent or not. "

The implication is literally up the thread.

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

I am adding my opinion into a thread. Absolutely no need to jump on me like that

"No need to suggest that other parents choices are wrong" I wouldn't say I did jump on you. I also have an opinion. "

I never said that though. Read my posts again!

Yes you are but I haven't jumped on you for your opinion have I! So please allow me the same courtesy

By *ittlekinks38Woman
over a year ago

outside belfast x

Awwww I'd reckon about 10 year before they start secondary school unless one of their friends let slip before that!

over a year ago

Oh no.

My super serious thread about shattering kids dreams is descending into chaos!!!

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Oh no.

My super serious thread about shattering kids dreams is descending into chaos!!!"

And you’re surprised?

over a year ago

"Oh no.

My super serious thread about shattering kids dreams is descending into chaos!!!

And you’re surprised? "

I’m surprised it didn’t happen sooner to be fair.

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

"Oh no.

My super serious thread about shattering kids dreams is descending into chaos!!!"

That's the forums for you!

By *reykiwi500Man
over a year ago

I say 3.

What??? Lies lies lies!!

Seriously though, I'd say not long before they start school. Keeps the fun of them believing for a little while, but prevents them finding out in potentially a hurtful way and being made fun of.

Before they start nursery? "

I was meaning primary school. Should have clarified.

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

"No need to suggest that other parents choices are wrong" I wouldn't say I did jump on you. I also have an opinion.

Yes you are but I haven't jumped on you for your opinion have I! So please allow me the same courtesy

"

I didn't jump on you - my language was calm and polite. Yes I believe your language and Steve's implies that other parents choices aren't good. It shouldn't need to be a judgement - on either side. It's just a parenting choice. Both have merits.

over a year ago

"8

same age of criminal responsibility"

So 10 in England and Wales

over a year ago

Where did anyone say kids have to believe in those concepts to have a good childhood? We were asked when we told our kids they didn't exist. It doesn't need to turn into an ethical discussion whether doing elf on the shelf makes me a bad parent or not.

The implication is literally up the thread. "

Yes I can see that now. Not from me. There's no need for anyone to judge other peoples choices in this area - is there? Parenting is tough enough. Calling Santa a creepy little fuck - really not necessary.

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

I didn't jump on you - my language was calm and polite. Yes I believe your language and Steve's implies that other parents choices aren't good. It shouldn't need to be a judgement - on either side. It's just a parenting choice. Both have merits. "

Then that's your perception, which is on you not me, I was giving my opinion.

over a year ago

Yes I can see that now. Not from me. There's no need for anyone to judge other peoples choices in this area - is there? Parenting is tough enough. Calling Santa a creepy little fuck - really not necessary. "

That was Jon Bon Jovi calling the tooth fairy a creepy little fuck for stealing teeth. Read before you jump.

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

I didn't jump on you - my language was calm and polite. Yes I believe your language and Steve's implies that other parents choices aren't good. It shouldn't need to be a judgement - on either side. It's just a parenting choice. Both have merits.

Then that's your perception, which is on you not me, I was giving my opinion. "

As am I.

over a year ago

Yes I can see that now. Not from me. There's no need for anyone to judge other peoples choices in this area - is there? Parenting is tough enough. Calling Santa a creepy little fuck - really not necessary.

That was Jon Bon Jovi calling the tooth fairy a creepy little fuck for stealing teeth. Read before you jump."

Apologies to Steve. And Santa. You agreed with that judging language though.

over a year ago

That was Jon Bon Jovi calling the tooth fairy a creepy little fuck for stealing teeth. Read before you jump."

Actually he called the tooth fairy a psychopath. My bad

over a year ago

That was Jon Bon Jovi calling the tooth fairy a creepy little fuck for stealing teeth. Read before you jump.

Apologies to Steve. And Santa. You agreed with that judging language though. "

So? I still never called Santa a creepy psychopath though did I??

over a year ago

To what end?

Creepy little fuck.

Then that's your perception, which is on you not me, I was giving my opinion.

As am I. "

Then respect that please

over a year ago

What happened? I went to the gym and this thread went South fast.

over a year ago

"What happened? I went to the gym and this thread went South fast."

Conclusion....you don't fuck with Santa.

over a year ago

"What happened? I went to the gym and this thread went South fast.

"

Or the tooth fairy, she's one badass pyscho bitch apparently

over a year ago

Yes I can see that now. Not from me. There's no need for anyone to judge other peoples choices in this area - is there? Parenting is tough enough. Calling Santa a creepy little fuck - really not necessary. "

I know because you’re a good egg.

over a year ago

"

Is that the sequel to that Netflix thing “Don’t fuck with cats”?

over a year ago

Or the tooth fairy, she's one badass pyscho bitch apparently "

Let's not even get started on the Easter bunny...

over a year ago

So? I still never called Santa a creepy psychopath though did I?? "

Nor did I say you did...

over a year ago

Or the tooth fairy, she's one badass pyscho bitch apparently "

She collects teeth. If I did that I’m sure I’d be in a maximum security prison.

over a year ago

Or the tooth fairy, she's one badass pyscho bitch apparently

Let's not even get started on the Easter bunny..."

Jon probably will as he's in the mood to create trouble it would seem...

over a year ago

Nor did I say you did..."

No but you had a pop at me for commenting. Why not have a pop at them for posting it if it offends you.

over a year ago

Kiiiiiiiids kids kids.

Obviously I’m NOT telling my kids that Santa, the psycho fairly and the giant man bunny who shits chocolate eggs, aren’t real.

Mainly because I don’t have kids.

So I’m opting to tell other peoples kids instead, over tannoy systems, so I don’t have to go near the germy little fuckers, in all major supermarkets in December.

Thanks for helping me make this decision.

And stop lying to your kids!!

over a year ago

"What happened? I went to the gym and this thread went South fast."

I'm not even sure to tell you the truth. But I blame Jon. It's a safe bet.

over a year ago

I'm not even sure to tell you the truth. But I blame Jon. It's a safe bet. "

Reasonable.

over a year ago

I'm not even sure to tell you the truth. But I blame Jon. It's a safe bet. "

He’s a rascal

over a year ago

"Kiiiiiiiids kids kids.

Obviously I’m NOT telling my kids that Santa, the psycho fairly and the giant man bunny who shits chocolate eggs, aren’t real.

So I’m opting to tell other peoples kids instead, over tannoy systems, so I don’t have to go near the germy little fuckers, in all major supermarkets in December.

And stop lying to your kids!!"

Ooh watch out saying stuff like that 'round here

over a year ago

Nor did I say you did...

No but you had a pop at me for commenting. Why not have a pop at them for posting it if it offends you."

I said something similar to Steve - and Jon as above. Didn't have a pop as you describe it. I'm not offended. I don't think there's any need for anyone to be judgmental about this. Which is what I've said multiple times.

By *arkus1812Man
over a year ago

Lifes departure lounge NN9 Northamptonshire East not West MidlandsMidlands

If Santa is not for real who ate the mince pies and drank the wine we used to leave on the doorstep on Christmas eve?

over a year ago

I'm not even sure to tell you the truth. But I blame Jon. It's a safe bet.

Reasonable. "

Very!

over a year ago

"If Santa is not for real who ate the mince pies and drank the wine we used to leave on the doorstep on Christmas eve?"

In Manchester we call them “burglars”.

over a year ago

"Kiiiiiiiids kids kids.

And stop lying to your kids!!"

I hope a "psycho fairly" gets you when you're not watching...

over a year ago

"Kiiiiiiiids kids kids.

I hope a "psycho fairly" gets you when you're not watching..."

I'm on it

over a year ago

"Kiiiiiiiids kids kids.

I'm on it"

over a year ago

Nor did I say you did...

No but you had a pop at me for commenting. Why not have a pop at them for posting it if it offends you.

I said something similar to Steve - and Jon as above. Didn't have a pop as you describe it. I'm not offended. I don't think there's any need for anyone to be judgmental about this. Which is what I've said multiple times. "

No there isn't is there because nobody has been judgemental towards you, I never realised you posted until you started on me....So I please I ask you to leave me alone

over a year ago

"Kiiiiiiiids kids kids.

I'm on his dick"

No need to lower the tone is there.

over a year ago

I know because you’re a good egg. "

Thank you. We have a different perspective on this, but that's going to happen sometimes!

Post new Message to Thread