Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Police Commissioners

Jump to newest

By *icketysplits OP   Woman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

All but London will be voting for their own Commissioner Gordon next month.

I've met some of those standing - not one with a crime fighting/police background.

Will you be voting?

What do you think of this new role?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"All but London will be voting for their own Commissioner Gordon next month.

I've met some of those standing - not one with a crime fighting/police background.

Will you be voting?

"

I've no view on this new 'role'. Why? Because although we have all been told we can vote, those behind the ideas seem to have been a little remiss in explaining to us exactly what these new 'Commissioners' will actually do?

I am assuming they are going to be on a par with School Governors? As I used to be one, this will be a complete waste of time and, more importantly, money. I have no doubt the Police will find every way possible to avoid having to 'throw off the covers' as little as humanly possibly - let 'civilians' know they're up to? Doubt it....

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

I love the adverts which ask which crimes would we like them to focus on.

Erm - all of them?

over a year ago

It's going to cost £70m and is another political role. I don't understand how the new quango agency (the National Crime Agency) will work either? The funding decisions on how things are spent locally will not support national crime prevention. How do Forces join up information better? It's fragmented enough as it is.

over a year ago

I think it is too keep unemployment down. Some of those who are currently in overpaid pointless quangos, get to be reemployed in an overpaid pointless job role.

It would be a great move forward to reduce red tape and get coppers out policing crime, rather than distractions like this

over a year ago

"I love the adverts which ask which crimes would we like them to focus on.

Erm - all of them?"

I'm interested in the adverts. Are these from candidates or the national advertising to explain this new layer?

Boris is technically it in London but he has deputised the role to someone who wasn't elected.

over a year ago

I've had my polling card but no idea who the candidates are!! I presume they will let us know at some point or maybe we supposed to work it out for ourselves?!

over a year ago

"I've had my polling card but no idea who the candidates are!! I presume they will let us know at some point or maybe we supposed to work it out for ourselves?! "

That's interesting too. I would have thought that the candidates would want to be known!

over a year ago

"I've had my polling card but no idea who the candidates are!! I presume they will let us know at some point or maybe we supposed to work it out for ourselves?!

That's interesting too. I would have thought that the candidates would want to be known!"

maybe they are undercover police commisioners?

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

Erm - all of them?

I'm interested in the adverts. Are these from candidates or the national advertising to explain this new layer?

Boris is technically it in London but he has deputised the role to someone who wasn't elected."

I think they are national. I just found it a humorous question to ask! Is that what these new commissioners will do, pick and choose which crimes to focus on???

over a year ago

"I've had my polling card but no idea who the candidates are!! I presume they will let us know at some point or maybe we supposed to work it out for ourselves?!

That's interesting too. I would have thought that the candidates would want to be known!"

Yes I have received one as well,though no idea who the candidates are or their polices / stance / background etc.

As previously stated, I wonder how many of them have crimefighting backgrounds?

Perhaps I should consider putting on my Batman costume and standing for election - put them all to shame!

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Will allways vote in any election as to the reasoning behind these elections god knows

over a year ago

Erm - all of them?

Boris is technically it in London but he has deputised the role to someone who wasn't elected.

I think they are national. I just found it a humorous question to ask! Is that what these new commissioners will do, pick and choose which crimes to focus on???"

That is part of the plan. Local people would say what is important to them and then budget and resources would be focused on those areas.

I can't see what will be different as local police already consult locally. Before BoJo took on the role in London the police were sending all of us in this area a regular update and invitations to consultation events. Now, money is to be spent on another person to look at these priorities and set the budget. I am confused on several levels. Not least from the government that states it wants to quash quangos.

over a year ago

That's interesting too. I would have thought that the candidates would want to be known!

maybe they are undercover police commisioners? "

over a year ago

Yes I have received one as well,though no idea who the candidates are or their polices / stance / background etc.

Perhaps I should consider putting on my Batman costume and standing for election - put them all to shame!

"

I think if you put on a Batman costume you will get elected.

over a year ago

I think if you put on a Batman costume you will get elected."

Although it may have more to do with how you look in lycra rather than your crime fighting abilities

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I've had my polling card but no idea who the candidates are!! I presume they will let us know at some point or maybe we supposed to work it out for ourselves?! "

you can go onto to the BBC website to check on your local candidates, but my issue with it is that most of them are affiliated to political parties with means that people are just going to vote along normal lines (which in the north east will mean probably red) as opposed to who would be the best candidate....

over a year ago

you can go onto to the BBC website to check on your local candidates, but my issue with it is that most of them are affiliated to political parties with means that people are just going to vote along normal lines (which in the north east will mean probably red) as opposed to who would be the best candidate...."

So this will just become another litmus test on how well parties are performing vote-wise in each area?

Fabio, from your US experience, how does it work there?

over a year ago

Once Boss Hogg is elected....

Do we have to vote again if we want Rosco as well...???

over a year ago

Whether people vote or not, this role will be filled and it will have a major input on the policing strategy so surely we should take notice. Originally it was envisaged as a non-political role but first Labour, then the Conservatives and LibDems soon started inserting their own people into the process.

I am sick of all public life being controlled by half-a-dozen men in smoke-filled back rooms, carving up our elections so I am doing some campaigning for my local independent PCC candidate.

Elections are on 15th November, regardless of your own political leanings, please get involved in the process by finding out who you local candidates are and voting.

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

you can go onto to the BBC website to check on your local candidates, but my issue with it is that most of them are affiliated to political parties with means that people are just going to vote along normal lines (which in the north east will mean probably red) as opposed to who would be the best candidate....

So this will just become another litmus test on how well parties are performing vote-wise in each area?

Fabio, from your US experience, how does it work there?"

Think it be rather hard to compare as the types of policing are a world apart.

The idea to go from police authority to a single person is crazy in my view. Just another job for the boys as far as I can make out.

Be said that they we be able to sack chief constables, so loads of unfair dismissal claims there.

Wonder if we can sack them if crime goes up

By *leasureDomeMan
over a year ago

all over the place

"It's going to cost £70m and is another political role. I don't understand how the new quango agency (the National Crime Agency) will work either? The funding decisions on how things are spent locally will not support national crime prevention. How do Forces join up information better? It's fragmented enough as it is."

Evidently the commissioner will have no direct power over policing except when it comes the NatSec and Terrorism.But will set trends .....seems its a new dick dance from the govt ...cue the music Quango anyone .

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

with the moon n stars somewhere in gtr manc

Got my voting thingy through the other day, and had no idea what it was for til I saw the national advert.

I saw a clip of an interview by someone who used to work for greater manc police, and I am a bit stuck about whether to vote or not as I havent done any research into the candidates yet.

The ex police officer said the 'majority' of those who have stood for election to be a commisssioner have not had any experience of working for or with the police force, and not many know about law. This worries me a lot. Last thing I want is someone like, I dont know, Bruce Forsythe (long shot I know) running the budgets for my local police force.

As for the national crime squad thing, its just another name for SOCA as far as I am concerned. And I doubt they will be wlling to share info cross agency wise. In my (old/previous) experience, you had to jump through hoops even under the closer working thing, and even each individual police forces did not know what was going on even in their neighbouring force. Its all just a cutting costs and polishing old turds for want of a better phrase.

over a year ago

It is probably one of those ideas which at first glance look good - let's have an elected police commissioner because elected equals democratic, and that has to be "good"

However in practice you will get the same old party hacks putting up for a well paid job and they will just follow the dictates of whichever party put them there, regardless of any claims for independence.

Last time I looked the candidates details aren't even available to view yet.

By *orkieMan
over a year ago

Who knows

Why do we need a police commissioner? Why dont we get more police out on the beat doing what they are supposed to do, prevent crime and uphold the Queens peace? Why dont we get rid of PCSO's and replace them with roles that have power and can actually do the job? Why cant we return to old style policing with proper justice, and if that means a few scrotes getting a kicking in the back of a van then so what

over a year ago

Sounds like a load of crap and a heap of highly paid arseholes to be paid for cushy jobs to me.

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"Why do we need a police commissioner? Why dont we get more police out on the beat doing what they are supposed to do, prevent crime and uphold the Queens peace? Why dont we get rid of PCSO's and replace them with roles that have power and can actually do the job? Why cant we return to old style policing with proper justice, and if that means a few scrotes getting a kicking in the back of a van then so what"

Money, red tape and unfortunately one or three bent coppers who would just enjoy kicking the shit out of someone who they didnt like the look of.

Dont get me wrong, I dont the whole commissiioner thing, unless they are a well respected, experienced officer, but it seems its just another ruse to see which political party is the most popular.

over a year ago

"It's going to cost £70m and is another political role. I don't understand how the new quango agency (the National Crime Agency) will work either? The funding decisions on how things are spent locally will not support national crime prevention. How do Forces join up information better? It's fragmented enough as it is."

So they cut down on officers on the street, freeze recruitment, stick more pcso's on the beat ( useless) yet they can afford 70million for this pointless position.

Couldn't be more backwards if you ask me. I rather see more officers on the street than someone sitting in an office pushing papers and smoozing politicians at functions.

over a year ago

What's next, more members of the public dressing up as crime fighters and stalking the streets and a Bat signal

By *els_BellsWoman
over a year ago

"Sounds like a load of crap and a heap of highly paid arseholes to be paid for cushy jobs to me. "

Doubt it would be too cushy. Wouldnt like the responsibility of choosing which crime should be given more money than the next (excluding violent crime etc over a group of kds hanging round the corner shop) as who is to know if t was a one off domestic or a gang of kids intimdating vulnerable people. I doubt they will get all the facts, and I am not sayng one crime s more important than the next, as everyone wll have been affected by some sort of crime. Just dont see it as a cushy job, just more a political, wanting to save face/popularity contest, again.

over a year ago

"It's going to cost £70m and is another political role. I don't understand how the new quango agency (the National Crime Agency) will work either? The funding decisions on how things are spent locally will not support national crime prevention. How do Forces join up information better? It's fragmented enough as it is.

So they cut down on officers on the street, freeze recruitment, stick more pcso's on the beat ( useless) yet they can afford 70million for this pointless position.

Couldn't be more backwards if you ask me. I rather see more officers on the street than someone sitting in an office pushing papers and smoozing politicians at functions. "

Pretty much as I see it. If I was a bobby on the street I would have FA motivation on this.

over a year ago

The idea of police commissioners is shocking. They will generally be people with no policing experience but with a firm eye on political gain. Yes they may focus police on what the public want but having sat through publics meeting this is what people are complaining about:- people cycling on pavements, dog mess, speeding cars. These are the top three. The rest of the real crime, drug dealing, anti social behaviour by kids/local d*unks is rarely mentioned in these meetings. This is a reflection on the type of people that turn up and vote within these meeting. The tax payer is ultimately going to be spending millions of pounds on electing another public servant that will give police more paper work to do.

Rant over !

By *picenicelyCouple
over a year ago

third star on the right

As it stands the police report to Local Authorities with the creation of the new role the Commissioner will take the place of the local authority. For a six figure salary they will dictate the areas the police will focus on e.g. anti social behaviour or robbery.

It was on Sky News last night that police bosses are asking people not to vote, since it is usually such a poor turnout and to show the government that the campaign has been poorly planned and implemented. The government have not provided promotional materials for candidates (such as headshots) also the police bosses are unhappy about the elections being held in winter since the turnout is typically poorer than summer elections.

over a year ago

Form not following function seems to be the Fab poll on this. Thanks for the comments.

over a year ago

Don't think I'll be voting as I don't even know thw names of the candidates so I'm hardly going to pick one over the other when I haven't a scooby who they are.

over a year ago

"Don't think I'll be voting as I don't even know thw names of the candidates so I'm hardly going to pick one over the other when I haven't a scooby who they are."

Once elected do you think you will be any the wiser? Most people can't name their MP.

over a year ago

It's two days until you all vote (except London). Do you know who your candidates are now? Are you ready to vote?

By *mm_n_ZedCouple
over a year ago

Fareham

Got my polling card - chucked it in the bin like I do with the rest of the junk mail.

over a year ago

Will you be voting?

"

It just sounds like another official to pay lots of money to.

over a year ago

Visit www.choosemypcc.org.uk and type in your postcode for local candidates

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

dont think i will vote..

am a firm believer in voting for local and national elections, these are hard won rights and should be exercised but..

this is a waste of money, a pre election mickey mouse idea from the states..

leave it to the chief constables, not some tory or labour candidate..

over a year ago

Don't forget to vote tomorrow.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"Don't forget to vote tomorrow."

I don't even know who is up for the job, not seen anything about it since the ads a few months ago

over a year ago

"Don't forget to vote tomorrow.

I don't even know who is up for the job, not seen anything about it since the ads a few months ago "

Same here I may just not bother then I don't kick myself for voting for an asshole.

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

Will you be voting?

I've no view on this new 'role'. Why? Because although we have all been told we can vote, those behind the ideas seem to have been a little remiss in explaining to us exactly what these new 'Commissioners' will actually do?

I am assuming they are going to be on a par with School Governors? As I used to be one, this will be a complete waste of time and, more importantly, money. I have no doubt the Police will find every way possible to avoid having to 'throw off the covers' as little as humanly possibly - let 'civilians' know they're up to? Doubt it....

"

School governors are unpaid volunteers. I reject the notion that I'm wasting my time!

over a year ago

Vote...!!! Even if you only attend to exercise your democratic right to spoil your paper....

That way you have the right to your opinion on the outcome....

A low turnout only results in a low mandate for the winning candidate.....

40 million spoilt ballot papers is the only real way to get a nation's message back to Westminster...

The candidates are listed on the BBC website.../policeelections...

Not all candidates are party affiliated.... And lots of them have prior police experience....

Have fun....

over a year ago

i have no idea who is standing for what.

do we need them? no.

more police on the street is what we need and where the money should be spent.

over a year ago

"i have no idea who is standing for what.

do we need them? no.

"

If I don't know who is standing for what.... How do I know that I dont need them or that they won't be able to put more police on the streets....???

over a year ago

Despite having a voting card through the door, there has been no additional material about the candidates in my area - I have no idea who is standing, what their views / polices are - nothing.

Makes a mockery of making your vote count if its just a random exercise.

Absolute farce in this part of the country. I hope its better elsewhere.

over a year ago

"i have no idea who is standing for what.

do we need them? no.

If I don't know who is standing for what.... How do I know that I dont need them or that they won't be able to put more police on the streets....???"

Or put officers where they are needed most.

A Police Commissioner gives each force someone to be held accountable for when the Police fuck up. For too long local forces have been run by faceless people who can hide behind anonymity when it has been required to have someone at the top whose head should roll. Often it's gone right back to the guy in charge of the entire Police force who's then blagged his way out of it.

Will I vote? No.

I don't like the way each political party is promoting their 'candidate' as I feel the role of Police Commissioner should be party independent.

over a year ago

"

Will I vote? No.

I don't like the way each political party is promoting their 'candidate' as I feel the role of Police Commissioner should be party independent."

We have an independent in our area, with four years of police force experience....

If not... Spoil your ballot..Its a vote and gets counted....

over a year ago

If you ask me, all that is happening is the people standing for election just want a name for themselves.

None of them that I have seen have any idea of policing and the actual crimes that we all witness first hand. All they see are the statistics on paper.

If they want my vote, they must get out there with the police forces, actions speak louder than words, especially from someone who hasn't got a clue of the real.world.

over a year ago

Will you be voting?

"

wasn't commissioner gordon a caricter on batman?

By *histler21Man
over a year ago

Ipswich

"Despite having a voting card through the door, there has been no additional material about the candidates in my area - I have no idea who is standing, what their views / polices are - nothing.

Makes a mockery of making your vote count if its just a random exercise.

Absolute farce in this part of the country. I hope its better elsewhere."

Not even sure I've seen a voting card!

over a year ago

Yes he was

If he was standing I might be persuaded out to vote

is anybody going to bother today

over a year ago

Got my voting card couple of weeks ago. However, about 2 months ago my council tax went up by 3% for police only. Yet im always seeing in local news they are getting budget cuts?!

I honestly dint think there will be any improvement with this role. Old boys club if you ask me.

over a year ago

Like the vast majority here,we've had no info about the candidates. My missus works in our local police station and mentioned this to some of the cops there. They said when (if)we go to vote look for a certain name. Apparently he's just retired from the Force after 33years, last 5 yrs as local Chief Superintendent. The cops will be voting for him as he's standing as an independent. At least he'll be someone who has experience and knowledge of what policing is about, and should make a good Commissioner. Probably can't say the same for the rest of the candidates throughout the country generally.

over a year ago

"If you ask me, all that is happening is the people standing for election just want a name for themselves.

None of them that I have seen have any idea of policing and the actual crimes that we all witness first hand. All they see are the statistics on paper.

If they want my vote, they must get out there with the police forces, actions speak louder than words, especially from someone who hasn't got a clue of the real.world."

I meant them not having a clue, not me

over a year ago

I always thought Police Commissioners were only there to signal Batman.

By *ike 1978Man
over a year ago

kettering / Enfield

not a clue about who the candidates were in my area as have seen nothing advertised about them but still just cast my vote

over a year ago

"

Will I vote? No.

I don't like the way each political party is promoting their 'candidate' as I feel the role of Police Commissioner should be party independent.

We have an independent in our area, with four years of police force experience....

If not... Spoil your ballot..Its a vote and gets counted...."

It's too late for us to vote anyway. The elections are today and we always vote by post and they have to be returned earlier, I think.

over a year ago

Incidentally, why isn't London voting for a commissioner? Does BoJo get the title autocratically as Mayor?

over a year ago

"Incidentally, why isn't London voting for a commissioner? Does BoJo get the title autocratically as Mayor?"

Yes, but he then deputises to someone who isn't elected

over a year ago

It's voting day and I have seen virtually no mention of this on television today. London, Scotland and NI aren't voting but the rest of the country is.

Anyone for Prescott?

over a year ago

"It's voting day and I have seen virtually no mention of this on television today. London, Scotland and NI aren't voting but the rest of the country is.

"

Commissioners are not be taking place in Scotland or Northern Ireland as policing and justice powers are devolved to the Scottish Parliament and Northern Ireland Assembley.

Billy

over a year ago

MAN'S VIEW......

Just been on line checked out the candidates for Cheshire.......2 hot looking ladies an 3 ugly blokes ...mmmmm

over a year ago

And so the question is now.....

1. The Blond.

2. The Redhead.

Can't I just vote for both

over a year ago

Which idiot to vote for and is it worth bothering? I would vote to not bother and save the £80k a year.

over a year ago

"Which idiot to vote for and is it worth bothering? I would vote to not bother and save the £80k a year. "

Someone is going to get the role whether you vote or not. Isn't a vote to try and get the one you are least annoyed about better than no vote? Or should we just accept whomsoever is appointed?

I find the fact that the government created these roles, made them electable roles to promote democracy and people power and then said that it's just too expensive to promote the election.

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

see i would perfer it if i has some sort of independant candidate...

but in my part of the country... I have a conservative, Lib dem, Labour and UKIP candidate... and I am loathe to vote along party lines for something as impartial as policing...

so i am sitting this one out....

over a year ago

Its strange many candidates are backed by the main parties. Somehow this just doesn't seem right somehow.

over a year ago

I have to share this ............ just been to vote - was in my newly MOT'd car lol - and a police car reverses into the place next to me ............ and stops and then ......... lurches back and hits the fence behind him ............ oooooooooooooops the WPC leapt out, I burst out laughing, the PC went red .................... and I followed both of them into the polling station ..... where the WPC relayed the incident to everyone in the polling station (it was very quiet in there), said PC looked very uncomfortable .........

over a year ago

"I have to share this ............ just been to vote - was in my newly MOT'd car lol - and a police car reverses into the place next to me ............ and stops and then ......... lurches back and hits the fence behind him ............ oooooooooooooops the WPC leapt out, I burst out laughing, the PC went red .................... and I followed both of them into the polling station ..... where the WPC relayed the incident to everyone in the polling station (it was very quiet in there), said PC looked very uncomfortable ......... "

Have you passed your daily accident onto the unsuspecting police?

over a year ago

"I have to share this ............ just been to vote - was in my newly MOT'd car lol - and a police car reverses into the place next to me ............ and stops and then ......... lurches back and hits the fence behind him ............ oooooooooooooops the WPC leapt out, I burst out laughing, the PC went red .................... and I followed both of them into the polling station ..... where the WPC relayed the incident to everyone in the polling station (it was very quiet in there), said PC looked very uncomfortable ......... "

I would be funny if the funds to pay for the damage to the car was coming out of the PC's own pocket, but it won't. You'll be footing the bill for that as local police are funded by local council tax payers.

over a year ago

"see i would perfer it if i has some sort of independant candidate...

but in my part of the country... I have a conservative, Lib dem, Labour and UKIP candidate... and I am loathe to vote along party lines for something as impartial as policing...

so i am sitting this one out...."

That's pretty much my take on it too. It doesn't matter up here though as you could pin a red rosette on a donkey and it would get elected.

over a year ago

"I have to share this ............ just been to vote - was in my newly MOT'd car lol - and a police car reverses into the place next to me ............ and stops and then ......... lurches back and hits the fence behind him ............ oooooooooooooops the WPC leapt out, I burst out laughing, the PC went red .................... and I followed both of them into the polling station ..... where the WPC relayed the incident to everyone in the polling station (it was very quiet in there), said PC looked very uncomfortable .........

I would be funny if the funds to pay for the damage to the car was coming out of the PC's own pocket, but it won't. You'll be footing the bill for that as local police are funded by local council tax payers."

there wasnt any damage luckily and the fence is still standing ............

over a year ago

"I have to share this ............ just been to vote - was in my newly MOT'd car lol - and a police car reverses into the place next to me ............ and stops and then ......... lurches back and hits the fence behind him ............ oooooooooooooops the WPC leapt out, I burst out laughing, the PC went red .................... and I followed both of them into the polling station ..... where the WPC relayed the incident to everyone in the polling station (it was very quiet in there), said PC looked very uncomfortable .........

I would be funny if the funds to pay for the damage to the car was coming out of the PC's own pocket, but it won't. You'll be footing the bill for that as local police are funded by local council tax payers.

there wasnt any damage luckily and the fence is still standing ............ "

hmmm.. many a crash helmet has been replaced with no apparent damage. The police won't take any chances with a suspect bumper and as his colleague seems to be having trouble keeping her gob shut, it will sure get round back at the nick that he bumped the car.

I thought partners watched each other's backs? They'd be shit on Hill Street Blues.

By *umsuckMan
over a year ago

Gateshead

"see i would perfer it if i has some sort of independant candidate...

so i am sitting this one out...."

I believe it is our duty not just our right to vote. However I am in complete agreement with you and I will also sit this one out.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'm thinking of spoiling my vote - so I won't be counted as apathetic, and not interested in voting.

These candidates aren't really up to the mark, and I would have much preferred to have had a vote on whether we want a police commissioner or not, before getting into voting for one.

Another huge waste of public funds that would have been better spent on retaining police or improving our NHS etc.

over a year ago

SPoilt ballot here too, think the whole thing stinks. Why on earth would we want to elect yet another layer of petty politicians when we can't even trust the ones we've got?

over a year ago

"SPoilt ballot here too, think the whole thing stinks. Why on earth would we want to elect yet another layer of petty politicians when we can't even trust the ones we've got?"

But at least you voted and a message will get back to Westminster....

And... You have the right to an opinion when it all goes right / wrong.....

over a year ago

"if you vote for the lesser of two evils you are still voting for evil"

over a year ago

I haven't seen any results after Wiltshire announced last night.

There's the Louise Mensch replacement too.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

the turnout has been pitifull, some areas less than 10%..

5live saying that 15% ish was one of the higher figures..

'Lord mckenzie' satisfying his masters bidding saying 'we' the public dont understand the role therefore that explains the low numbers..

condescending claptrap..

£75 mill on this white elephant!!

how many PC's could have been on the street actually policing for that amount..?

over a year ago

"

how many PC's could have been on the street actually policing for that amount..?"

how many PCs do we actually see on the street actually policing anyway?

over a year ago

I don't understand why the results aren't out yet. It's not as if they had a lot of votes to count!

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

how many PC's could have been on the street actually policing for that amount..?

how many PCs do we actually see on the street actually policing anyway?

"

ok nit picky person..

not talking about 'ah la dixon of dock green' plod on foot etc..

speaking figurativelly, we could have more Police 'policing' by whatever means for £75 mill..

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I don't understand why the results aren't out yet. It's not as if they had a lot of votes to count!"

Tory spokesman said it was 'democratic' and they have a mandate to carry out their role..

stretching it a bit..

over a year ago

"SPoilt ballot here too, think the whole thing stinks. Why on earth would we want to elect yet another layer of petty politicians when we can't even trust the ones we've got?"
I always spoil my ballot now I just used to not bother voting

By *xodussxMan
over a year ago

sheffield

i dont think they have 12 per cent turn out here

By *inktherapyCouple
over a year ago

Gloucester

"

Someone is going to get the role whether you vote or not. Isn't a vote to try and get the one you are least annoyed about better than no vote?

"

I always vote - that way I can complain about who gets in

Seriously, people died to try and ensure women had the vote in this country. And a deliberately spoilt vote is no better than a no-vote

over a year ago

I've seen alcopops with a higher percentage.

Why does the whole fiasco remind me of the Titanic.

over a year ago

My main concerns are, what is the difference in the pay of a Commissioner, and the Old Police Authority.

Bet there are No Savings, possibly cost more in the long run

over a year ago

"My main concerns are, what is the difference in the pay of a Commissioner, and the Old Police Authority.

Bet there are No Savings, possibly cost more in the long run "

Quite! This from the government that would get rid of quangos and removes the layers.

over a year ago

"My main concerns are, what is the difference in the pay of a Commissioner, and the Old Police Authority.

Quite! This from the government that would get rid of quangos and removes the layers."

The govt has removed layers by getting rid of the police authority (which involves upto 17 unelected officials making decisions for each area) and replacing it with 1 elected official whose role it is to oversee each force's budget, appoint the chief constable, and set priorities for the police force for which they are responsible. And is accountable to the public who will now know who the man in charge is. (could you name all the people on your local police authority?)

over a year ago

Quite! This from the government that would get rid of quangos and removes the layers.

The govt has removed layers by getting rid of the police authority (which involves upto 17 unelected officials making decisions for each area) and replacing it with 1 elected official whose role it is to oversee each force's budget, appoint the chief constable, and set priorities for the police force for which they are responsible. And is accountable to the public who will now know who the man in charge is. (could you name all the people on your local police authority?)"

I've got Bojo outsourcing his role to an unelected person.

This one person comes with a team and a structure. And virtually no one bothered to vote for them, you included. I would rather have someone qualified and appointed than someone with no experience but enough mates to cast the few votes involved in these elections.

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ........

There's the Louise Mensch replacement too."

The Mensch replacement is Labour's Andy Sawford who took Corby by 7,791 votes.

Labour won the Manchester and Cardiff by-elections too

over a year ago

" ........

There's the Louise Mensch replacement too.

The Mensch replacement is Labour's Andy Sawford who took Corby by 7,791 votes.

Labour won the Manchester and Cardiff by-elections too "

Thanks, I saw the Manchester and Cardiff results.

over a year ago

Didn't vote, knew absolutely nothing about it in our area.

over a year ago

Everyone ought know that I (Georgeyporgey)) have quite strident political views and take the right to vote quite seriously.

I Was not canvased, I could find nothing about any of the candidates, there was nothing on the local media so I voted for none of the above and spoiled my ballot. No one I know voted or if they did, then they spoiled their ballot.....

These commissioners have no validity and I can't see how anyone could claim any......

over a year ago

its a fucking joke, typical tories trying to appear tough on crime and letting 'the people' have their say. the same government who has scrapped all scottish police forces to make one National force in a bid to save money. needless to say scots dont get a vote

By *abioMan
over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"its a fucking joke, typical tories trying to appear tough on crime and letting 'the people' have their say. the same government who has scrapped all scottish police forces to make one National force in a bid to save money. needless to say scots dont get a vote"

pssssst...... that is because it comes under the auspice of that lovely scottish parliament you have in edinburgh.....

over a year ago

"its a fucking joke, typical tories trying to appear tough on crime and letting 'the people' have their say. the same government who has scrapped all scottish police forces to make one National force in a bid to save money. needless to say scots dont get a vote

pssssst...... that is because it comes under the auspice of that lovely scottish parliament you have in edinburgh....."

lol DO NOT get me started o Alex Salomd, thats a whole new rant!

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

"its a fucking joke, typical tories trying to appear tough on crime and letting 'the people' have their say. the same government who has scrapped all scottish police forces to make one National force in a bid to save money. needless to say scots dont get a vote"

The first thing after that was Steve House announcing there'd probably be 3,000 job loses and the next thing was turf war between House and the Scottish Police Authority.

On a practical level, how can a single police force possibly deliver a first class service to an area the size of Scotland?

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Well until 38 Degrees e.mailed me with a list of the candidates I din`t know who was standing for Dorset So, I`m assuming they were all confident of my vote or none of them wanted it! Well none of them got it! Anyway, what a fekkin stupid time of the year to have a poll, cold, dark euuuck! Really going to inspire people to come out and vote for something few have any interest in!

over a year ago

"its a fucking joke, typical tories trying to appear tough on crime and letting 'the people' have their say. the same government who has scrapped all scottish police forces to make one National force in a bid to save money. needless to say scots dont get a vote

The first thing after that was Steve House announcing there'd probably be 3,000 job loses and the next thing was turf war between House and the Scottish Police Authority.

On a practical level, how can a single police force possibly deliver a first class service to an area the size of Scotland?"

Ha true! The single police force couldnt even cover strathclyde on cup final day!

over a year ago

"Well until 38 Degrees e.mailed me with a list of the candidates I din`t know who was standing for Dorset So, I`m assuming they were all confident of my vote or none of them wanted it! Well none of them got it! Anyway, what a fekkin stupid time of the year to have a poll, cold, dark euuuck! Really going to inspire people to come out and vote for something few have any interest in! "

On the face of it we are all interested in policing, crime and disorder. What we're not interested in is making this another political role. We want to see things happen and feel safe. An elected official to do that does not strike a chord.

That said, there is a book called Mayors Rule The World. The central premise is that mayors have to deliver in a way that national politicians do not.

If this government had included the decision on commissioners in the referda on mayors then it would make sense to go ahead with elections, where they are called for. No one was asked at that time for fear that the decision from the people would have been the same as for mayors.

over a year ago

Now there is to be enquiry into what went wrong. I could write that paper in twenty minutes.

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

All police and magistrates courts were not long ago registered as business's at companys house. Feel free to check that for yourself. Now think about why they would do that and why you werent told about it, the implications are numerous.

over a year ago

"

Someone is going to get the role whether you vote or not. Isn't a vote to try and get the one you are least annoyed about better than no vote?

Seriously, people died to try and ensure women had the vote in this country. And a deliberately spoilt vote is no better than a no-vote"

And it's also your right to vote or choose not to!

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

It's a right good men and women have died to protect.

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I would rather have someone qualified and appointed than someone with no experience but enough mates to cast the few votes involved in these elections."

agreed..

this has nothing to do with a 'better service' for the public, its cronyism and jobs for the political lap dogs..

how on earth can any Chief Constable and Police force take someone serious with no obvious mandate from the community they serve..

or have any faith in someone who knows nothing about policing?

this is the tories trying to politicise the Police, its not been necessary in the last 150 plus years..

By *ctavius StuntMan
over a year ago

london

Your vote is meaningless, an illusion to make you think you live in a democracy, that you have a choice and they listen to what you say. And actually if you vote you shouldnt complain, after all you voted for what you got.
"

Seriously, people died to try and ensure women had the vote in this country. And a deliberately spoilt vote is no better than a no-vote

And it's also your right to vote or choose not to!"

over a year ago

"

And it's also your right to vote or choose not to!"

In Fact, a spoilt ballot is perfectly valid, it is counted in the turn out and is shown to the candidates.........

I used to hold the opinion that it was a duty to vote as people had died in 2 world wars to protect the right to vote, until I though differently, firstly people also died to give us the right not to vote if we wanted. Secondly, most people were forced by conscription to fight in Slave Armies and so were fighting because they had been told to.....

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I wanted to vote for police commissioner Gordon, like in Gotham City and batman, but there wasn't one.

over a year ago

" needless to say scots dont get a vote"

And English students in Scotland have to pay for their Uni fees whereas Scottish students ANYWHERE don't.

So what you didn't get a vote on police commissioners, what goes around comes around.

over a year ago

i couldn't if i wanted to .other half got his paper to vote in the post but mine never come tut

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

" needless to say scots dont get a vote

And English students in Scotland have to pay for their Uni fees whereas Scottish students ANYWHERE don't.

So what you didn't get a vote on police commissioners, what goes around comes around."

Agree (twice in 6 weeks!)

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"i couldn't if i wanted to .other half got his paper to vote in the post but mine never come tut "

If the second candidate was 1 vote behind, you could let him/her know. I wonder what their reaction would be?

over a year ago

So what you didn't get a vote on police commissioners, what goes around comes around."

yes THANKFULLY we don't have to vote for one just have one thrust upon us.

English students SHOULD pay to study here. when I was at Edin uni my course was full of English whom had failed to get into to Oxford and Cambridge so came north just to be seen to be at an elite institution. they came for the kudos not the degree, depriving others a place

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Why were they accepted then?

over a year ago

"Why were they accepted then?"

Inclusion policies and the faCt they paid fees!

over a year ago

So what you didn't get a vote on police commissioners, what goes around comes around.

English students SHOULD pay to study here. when I was at Edin uni my course was full of English whom had failed to get into to Oxford and Cambridge so came north just to be seen to be at an elite institution. they came for the kudos not the degree, depriving others a place"

If that was true why do so many Scots come south to go to ... um... Oxbridge.

It's when I listen to people like you I that I start thinking independance for Scotland is the way forward, and then see how much you couldn't afford without Westminster money.

over a year ago

English students SHOULD pay to study here. when I was at Edin uni my course was full of English whom had failed to get into to Oxford and Cambridge so came north just to be seen to be at an elite institution. they came for the kudos not the degree, depriving others a place

It's when I listen to people like you I that I start thinking independance for Scotland is the way forward, and then see how much you couldn't afford without Westminster money. "

The reason Scots relocate to the south east is simple - for decades the UK government has ploughed money into economy, housing, education and employment for the home counties whilst neglecting the north. therefore any northerner who wishes to get a decent job and income has to follow the money. Wonder how many southerners will flock to Scotland once we have a bright economy outwith the grubby paws of westminister. Our natural resourses, business savvy and respect on the world stage eclipses England. I myself am against independence. The Scots took over the English throne and our foot rests upon it to this day

over a year ago

It's when I listen to people like you I that I start thinking independance for Scotland is the way forward, and then see how much you couldn't afford without Westminster money.

The reason Scots relocate to the south east is simple - for decades the UK government has ploughed money into economy, housing, education and employment for the home counties whilst neglecting the north. therefore any northerner who wishes to get a decent job and income has to follow the money. Wonder how many southerners will flock to Scotland once we have a bright economy outwith the grubby paws of westminister. Our natural resourses, business savvy and respect on the world stage eclipses England. I myself am against independence. The Scots took over the English throne and our foot rests upon it to this day"

See, I agree with most of what you say, but the Germans kicked you off a long time ago (George isn't a very Scottish name, nor is Hanover)..........

over a year ago

The reason Scots relocate to the south east is simple - for decades the UK government has ploughed money into economy, housing, education and employment for the home counties whilst neglecting the north. therefore any northerner who wishes to get a decent job and income has to follow the money. Wonder how many southerners will flock to Scotland once we have a bright economy outwith the grubby paws of westminister. Our natural resourses, business savvy and respect on the world stage eclipses England. I myself am against independence. The Scots took over the English throne and our foot rests upon it to this day

See, I agree with most of what you say, but the Germans kicked you off a long time ago (George isn't a very Scottish name, nor is Hanover).........."

true..however George I was great grandson from Anne) of James I so in fact a Stuart sucession. we invited him to take the throne to avoid a Catholic heir

By *nnyMan
over a year ago

Glasgow

" ......

true..however George I was great grandson from Anne) of James I so in fact a Stuart sucession. we invited him to take the throne to avoid a Catholic heir"

What was it a Fabster said the other day about Scots being able to drag religion into everything ?

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

" ......

true..however George I was great grandson from Anne) of James I so in fact a Stuart sucession. we invited him to take the throne to avoid a Catholic heir

What was it a Fabster said the other day about Scots being able to drag religion into everything ?"

A tarts and vicars party could be religion in drag.....

over a year ago

" ......

What was it a Fabster said the other day about Scots being able to drag religion into everything ?"

lol I am agnostic just stating an historical fact. did the Engliish not just celebrate an anniversary by burning effigies of a Catholic?

over a year ago

" ......

What was it a Fabster said the other day about Scots being able to drag religion into everything ?

lol I am agnostic just stating an historical fact. did the Engliish not just celebrate an anniversary by burning effigies of a Catholic? "

A catholic who planned to blow up the HP (including the Scottish King, who was infact of the house of Guise, french, I believe). George was related to the Stuarts, but also to Orange (William). Besides, all of the Noble houses are Danish..............

over a year ago

" ......

lol I am agnostic just stating an historical fact. did the Engliish not just celebrate an anniversary by burning effigies of a Catholic? A catholic who planned to blow up the HP (including the Scottish King, who was infact of the house of Guise, french, I believe). George was related to the Stuarts, but also to Orange (William). Besides, all of the Noble houses are Danish.............."

the Stuarts were Scottish/French (the auld alliance) the line can be traced back to Nordic roots not Netherlandish. Guy Fawkes was from Belgium and financed by the Spanish who wanted to stamp out ENGLISH protestanism. At the time Chester was actually part of Scotland

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

Turns out I know our new PCC.

By *rightonsteveMan
over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

"Turns out I know our new PCC. "

Did you vote for him/her?

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

No... I meant to vote but didn't get round to it. Only realised I knew him when I saw the news this morning.

By *umpkinMan
over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"Well until 38 Degrees e.mailed me with a list of the candidates I din`t know who was standing for Dorset So, I`m assuming they were all confident of my vote or none of them wanted it! Well none of them got it! Anyway, what a fekkin stupid time of the year to have a poll, cold, dark euuuck! Really going to inspire people to come out and vote for something few have any interest in!

On the face of it we are all interested in policing, crime and disorder. What we're not interested in is making this another political role. We want to see things happen and feel safe. An elected official to do that does not strike a chord.

That said, there is a book called Mayors Rule The World. The central premise is that mayors have to deliver in a way that national politicians do not.

If this government had included the decision on commissioners in the referda on mayors then it would make sense to go ahead with elections, where they are called for. No one was asked at that time for fear that the decision from the people would have been the same as for mayors."

Just found out that none of the "political backed" (my "") got voted but the independent guy who did is ..... an ex copper Jobs for the boys by the looks of it!

over a year ago

"Everyone ought know that I (Georgeyporgey)) have quite strident political views and take the right to vote quite seriously.

I Was not canvased, I could find nothing about any of the candidates, there was nothing on the local media so I voted for none of the above and spoiled my ballot. No one I know voted or if they did, then they spoiled their ballot.....

These commissioners have no validity and I can't see how anyone could claim any......"

Any chance you could PM me to let me know approximately which part of Chester you are in. I was helping to deliver leaflets for one of the Ches candidates and supposedly Chester was being leafleted.

over a year ago

I've just seen the morning papers that Prescott didn't get elected and they went for a Tory.

By *enuineplayers plus 1Couple
over a year ago

newport

Surely one would have thought that a commissioner should come from a police back ground.

over a year ago

We have voted in an ex Navy commander. Apparently he is talking about giving the police some discipline and getting them on the streets policing.... crazy idea, it will never catch on

over a year ago

"Surely one would have thought that a commissioner should come from a police back ground. "

On the plus-side that person would hopefully understand the challenges the police face day-to-day but the danger is they would not be able/willing to hold their old colleagues/ mates to account.

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

"Surely one would have thought that a commissioner should come from a police back ground.

On the plus-side that person would hopefully understand the challenges the police face day-to-day but the danger is they would not be able/willing to hold their old colleagues/ mates to account."

Pus, at that level I think it's more about politics than policing.

Our's is an ex-magistrate so he has had exposure to criminals but probably doesn't know anything about telling people the time.

Post new Message to Thread