Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

EU Referendum

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Would you vote to stay in or get when when/if we finally get a referendum for our EU membership?

Should there be a 3rd option of staying in, but with reduced interferance from Brussels?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *U1966Man
over a year ago

Devon

Bit late now to pull out completely in the 70s we could of done great things with the commonwealth EU is run for the benefit of france and germany

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"Would you vote to stay in or get when when/if we finally get a referendum for our EU membership?

Should there be a 3rd option of staying in, but with reduced interferance from Brussels?"

Politically this is an objective of the Tory Right. Economically it would be madness as 70% of trade for the UK is with other member states. If we come out then trade barriers would kick in and industry would be damaged. As far as conflict is concerned a very famous US general said we fought all of world one in Europe, most of World War two and if you jerks let us we will fight WW3 in Europe. So a few silly regulations do not seem a high price to pay for peace?

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Would you vote to stay in or get when when/if we finally get a referendum for our EU membership?

Should there be a 3rd option of staying in, but with reduced interferance from Brussels? Politically this is an objective of the Tory Right. Economically it would be madness as 70% of trade for the UK is with other member states. If we come out then trade barriers would kick in and industry would be damaged. As far as conflict is concerned a very famous US general said we fought all of world one in Europe, most of World War two and if you jerks let us we will fight WW3 in Europe. So a few silly regulations do not seem a high price to pay for peace?"

I can understand there may be some implications on trade, but do you seriously think there would ever be another World War that kicks of in Europe? I cannot see that, Europe is politically stable and the likes of Hitler would be brought down before they reached the power he did.

If there was another World War, I would imagine it would be a religious based war betweem Islam and Christianity. Thankfully, I doubt that would happen either.

As a pacifist Buddhist, I will offer to referree if it does

By *uckscouple2007Couple
over a year ago

Bucks

Can you really see the 3rd option being on the ballot paper? Whilst "we" may think its best solution, I'd doubt the EU mandarins would permit it..

In same way the scottish vote will be a yes/no with similar "less control by Westminster" not going forward

Begrudgingly vote stay for reasons posted earlier in the thread

over a year ago

Should there be a 3rd option of staying in, but with reduced interferance from Brussels? Politically this is an objective of the Tory Right. Economically it would be madness as 70% of trade for the UK is with other member states. If we come out then trade barriers would kick in and industry would be damaged. As far as conflict is concerned a very famous US general said we fought all of world one in Europe, most of World War two and if you jerks let us we will fight WW3 in Europe. So a few silly regulations do not seem a high price to pay for peace?

I can understand there may be some implications on trade, but do you seriously think there would ever be another World War that kicks of in Europe? I cannot see that, Europe is politically stable and the likes of Hitler would be brought down before they reached the power he did.

If there was another World War, I would imagine it would be a religious based war betweem Islam and Christianity. Thankfully, I doubt that would happen either.

As a pacifist Buddhist, I will offer to referree if it does "

I wish I shared your optimisim. You only have to see the conflicys im Kosovo and Bosnia to have a clear waring tha Europe can and does ignite from time to time. The treaty of Rome didnt help the people of Sarajevo but it did stop the rest of Europe taking sides as happened in WW1.

over a year ago

We're too far in it to pull out now. It would be financial suicide and France has looked at the City with envy for some time now. 80% of all Euro transactions go through London and you can put your shirt on it that Brussels would block € trades through London as punitive measures for us pulling out of the EU.

The problem with an EU referendum is that it gives the green light to ditch Sterling if the British public votes to remain in the EU, which is why we haven't been given a vote on it thus far. We will be spending the Euro over here sooner or later but my way of thinking is that we should intriduce it as a dual currency for five years while Euroland stabilises itself without us being forced to pump more money into it. Then we can drop the £ and switch to full integration when it suits us, not when it suits Brussels.

over a year ago

"We're too far in it to pull out now. It would be financial suicide and France has looked at the City with envy for some time now. 80% of all Euro transactions go through London and you can put your shirt on it that Brussels would block € trades through London as punitive measures for us pulling out of the EU.

The problem with an EU referendum is that it gives the green light to ditch Sterling if the British public votes to remain in the EU, which is why we haven't been given a vote on it thus far. We will be spending the Euro over here sooner or later but my way of thinking is that we should intriduce it as a dual currency for five years while Euroland stabilises itself without us being forced to pump more money into it. Then we can drop the £ and switch to full integration when it suits us, not when it suits Brussels."

Good point, well made!

By *rank_SimoneCouple
over a year ago

Bideford

no point brussels wont allow one

By *ecky-booTV/TS
over a year ago

worthing

I would prefer to stay in eu and exert influence from within .. but i do think its a myth that we couldnt prosper outside.. especially for the city which has powerful links now with china.

over a year ago

Hello all,

I would vote for a complete withdrawal from the EU. Economically the Euro is a disaster and it is only a matter of time before it collapses. You can't just keep taking more and more money to patch the holes, there just isn't enough.

That is apart from all the seemingly never ending new regulations from Brussels. What we need is far less government not more.

Alec

Post new Message to Thread