Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Irish Names Club

Jump to newest

By *ittleRed18 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Aberdeen

Since it's St Patrick's Day I feel today is as good a day as any to start this thread, so here goes...

I have an Irish first name (eventhough I'm Scottish and my family has lived in Scotland forever with no Irish connection). Anyone else out there part of this club, whether you're Irish or not?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *r SproutMan
over a year ago

the middle somewhere

I have an Irish name but not spelled the Irish way.

I have no Irish connections but I have religious parents.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I’m from Northern Ireland and know lots of people with Irish names, some of them are crazy ?? I know a lad called Donncha (I couldn’t pronounce it for years)

By *ittleRed18 OP   Woman
over a year ago

Aberdeen

"I’m from Northern Ireland and know lots of people with Irish names, some of them are crazy ?? I know a lad called Donncha (I couldn’t pronounce it for years) "

Oh really I wouldn't even know how to start pronouncing that haha

I always joked my parents didn't want me to spell my own name until I was in secondary school but that name is just as bad if it's not phonetically haha

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

To be sure to be sure

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I read recently about someone who lived here until they were a teenager giving their child an Irish name.

A family member visited when the child was 5 or 6 years old and started a row when she correctly called him by his name and his parents and grandparents argued with her claiming she was making it up and the name was pronounced differently. They accused her of giving the child a complex by not pronouncing it correctly which she obviously had.

She was amazed they refused to admit they were saying it wrong.

Post new Message to Thread