Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

odd question?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I went for a job inter_iew today, now ive not done this for a very long time as i have worked for the company i work for now for 15 years so to say im rusty is a understatment lol

Anyway, i've had enough of my job, and after 15 years ive decided to look for a change

Got a inter_iew and went to it this morning, all was going well then i was asked what my sexuality was

is this quiestion normal now days to be asked in a inter_iew?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *oodmessMan
over a year ago

yumsville

nope, utterly wrong - you should have picked them up on it too. Its none of their business

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I thought that was only allowed on the equal opportunities form, not during inter_iews as it is personal confidential info..

By *roticstrangerMan
over a year ago

leigh

Not at all

over a year ago

What the hell has that got to do with your ability to do the job

over a year ago

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Haha, NO - that is definitely not a normal question in an inter_iew!

over a year ago

"What the hell has that got to do with your ability to do the job "

could be a lapdancing inter_iew...

over a year ago

I filled in a questionaire by the council re the scrapping of council tax. It finished by asking my sex orientation . bloody cheek. wots that got to do with council tax ?

over a year ago

This not allowed, neither is asking a woman if they a/have a family or b/likely to have any children/more in the future.

Some employers still try to break the rules and should not be allowed to!

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I went for a job inter_iew today, now ive not done this for a very long time as i have worked for the company i work for now for 15 years so to say im rusty is a understatment lol

Anyway, i've had enough of my job, and after 15 years ive decided to look for a change

Got a inter_iew and went to it this morning, all was going well then i was asked what my sexuality was

is this quiestion normal now days to be asked in a inter_iew?"

Nope, they should't have asked this.

There's a few exceptions to discrimination but a company would have to prove a genuine occupational requirement for this.. I can't think of ANY where sexuality would come into this

over a year ago

Did u ask if it would make any difference based on the answer you gave?

over a year ago

I did ask why they needed to know

I was told it was so they could put on record people sexuality so they could see what groups of people were being employed and noone was being discriminated against

over a year ago

"I did ask why they needed to know

I was told it was so they could put on record people sexuality so they could see what groups of people were being employed and noone was being discriminated against "

So did you answer and if so what did you say?

over a year ago

I was told it was so they could put on record people sexuality so they could see what groups of people were being employed and noone was being discriminated against "

Was it a state employer or private?

By *issBehavingxxWoman
over a year ago

Glasgow

IF thats their reason it should be on an equal opportunities form, along with sex, d.o.b., race etc etc separate from any application form and def not brought up by them during an inter_iew.

They have left themselves wide open to a discrimination claim if they don't offer you the job

over a year ago

Perhaps they recognized your arse from here?

By *ucsparkMan
over a year ago

dudley

Was it a male or female that asked question

Do they have membership of chams

Did they ask if they could come over your feet

Remember Black Country folk are very though in their questioning, be a male and it a hundred question why

over a year ago

It is highly unusual to ask such a question during an inter_iew IMHO.

By *ollyNWoman
over a year ago

Calgary

The company might have quotas to fill, ie a certain number of LGBT people? Just a thought x

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

if at application stage...cool and you are under no obligation to answer.

but good for monitoring diversity statistics

By *ENGUYMan
over a year ago

Hull

This is way out of order and illegal.

The employer can attempt to describe their reasons for bringing up the question in any way they wish to, but your sexuality is not something they need to know!

If you were applying for a post in MI5, then maybe from a security risk factor, they might have a case, but in general employment, they have no case to answer!

By *inkyScot22Man
over a year ago

Anniesland

"If you were applying for a post in MI5, then maybe from a security risk factor"

Actually can you explain this one to me, I've always wondered why a gay spy was a security risk when a straight one wasn't?

over a year ago

"If you were applying for a post in MI5, then maybe from a security risk factor

Actually can you explain this one to me, I've always wondered why a gay spy was a security risk when a straight one wasn't?"

They might "sleep with the enemy"

By *iewMan
Forum Mod

over a year ago

Angus & Findhorn

"If you were applying for a post in MI5, then maybe from a security risk factor

Actually can you explain this one to me, I've always wondered why a gay spy was a security risk when a straight one wasn't?"

only if in the closet or married and subject to blackmail

over a year ago

Maybe the inter_iewer recognised you from fab or chams x

By *he_original_poloWoman
over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

It is not that an employer can't ask about sexuality.... it is just that they shouldn't, as it leaves them open to claims of discrimination. As an employer is not allowed to discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation, the only way they can protect themselves is by not asking at any stage of the selection process.

Diversity monitoring is generally done on a seperate quyestionnaire.... and is optional.

over a year ago

"This not allowed, neither is asking a woman if they a/have a family or b/likely to have any children/more in the future.

Some employers still try to break the rules and should not be allowed to!"

That's interesting as I recently went to several inter_iews and was asked at every single one if I had kids or planned to in future. I thought it was cheeky cause what they were getting at was would I be felxable to work on my days off

over a year ago

"This not allowed, neither is asking a woman if they a/have a family or b/likely to have any children/more in the future.

That's interesting as I recently went to several inter_iews and was asked at every single one if I had kids or planned to in future. I thought it was cheeky cause what they were getting at was would I be felxable to work on my days off "

They are allowed to ask you about kids......... as long as they ask everyone, male or female, young and old, the same question.

over a year ago

That's a naughty question

Ooo and sod of I'm Rusty, get another new name for your new job

over a year ago

Employers can ask whatever they want. They can ask about your religious beliefs, gender, age,disability, sexual orientation, kids........ anything they like.

The reason they tend not to is once they do ask, they then need to prove they didn't discriminate.... if someone complains. By asking the question the burden of proof falls heavily on their doorstep.

over a year ago

"Maybe the inter_iewer recognised you from fab or chams x"

lol i think they would already know the answer to that question if that was the case

No i really dont think it was anything like that, it did come over as a standard question they just asked

i dont think there was any under lined reason why they just asked me

thats why i asked because it just came over as so normal for them to ask the question

i wondered if things had changed in the past 15 years on what they asked

over a year ago

"Maybe the inter_iewer recognised you from fab or chams x

lol i think they would already know the answer to that question if that was the case

No i really dont think it was anything like that, it did come over as a standard question they just asked

i dont think there was any under lined reason why they just asked me

thats why i asked because it just came over as so normal for them to ask the question

i wondered if things had changed in the past 15 years on what they asked "

The question is what did you answer x a lot of it is to do with equal oppertunity x

over a year ago

"If you were applying for a post in MI5, then maybe from a security risk factor, they might have a case, but in general employment, they have no case to answer!"

Where security clearance is required for a job it is handled by a separate vetting agency and the question still would not be asked during the job inter_iew(s).

For security clearance they care only if there is anything that could be used to blackmail you (such as being an in-the-closet gay/bi) or anything that could be used to strongly influence you (such as debts).

over a year ago

"Employers can ask whatever they want. They can ask about your religious beliefs, gender, age,disability, sexual orientation, kids........ anything they like.

The reason they tend not to is once they do ask, they then need to prove they didn't discriminate.... if someone complains. By asking the question the burden of proof falls heavily on their doorstep."

I hope you get offerered the job, goodluck.

One of the first things you'll be able to help them address is whether they are happy to leave themselves so wide open to a claim.

over a year ago

I should add they also consider political _iews and past and present political leanings, where you were born, countries you have lived in/visited, the background of your family, your partner and their family.

It's in-depth, so, to clarify, my previous post was only referring to a specific aspect of the security clearance procedure.

over a year ago

Good luck!! xx

over a year ago

That's interesting as I recently went to several inter_iews and was asked at every single one if I had kids or planned to in future. I thought it was cheeky cause what they were getting at was would I be felxable to work on my days off

They are allowed to ask you about kids......... as long as they ask everyone, male or female, young and old, the same question.

"

Oh god I can't have anymore debates on employment law tonight, I need to recharge

However that is not that case but what is:

"There are strict limits to what inter_iewers can ask jobseekers – your plans to start a family, are not allowed.

Human resources professionals should know which questions cannot be asked during a job inter_iew, but smaller companies without a formal HR department may sometimes inadvertently ask illegal job inter_iew questions.

Employment inter_iew laws are very specific and, in general, during a job inter_iew, the candidate should never be asked about age, race, national origin, marital or parental status, or disabilities.

Marital, Family or Parental Status:

"Are you married?" Here's a question that seems reasonable, but it is an illegal job inter_iew question. Keep all questions focused on job responsibilities.

You can ask about how flexible he/she is with his schedule or whether he/she would be able to come in at the last minute during an emergency. But you cannot ask if the candidate is married, has children or is a caregiver. In addition, do not ask women if they plan on having children.

It is acceptable, though, to be asked whether there are any responsibilities that could interfere with your attendance at work. You should furthermore not be questioned about your sexual preferences."

Now I am having a drink and hanging my hat up

Post new Message to Thread