Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

What does "take care" mean to you?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Apparently, as mentioned on a local radio station a few days ago, in the age of texting and online communications etc., when one signs off with "take care" in a message, it means the sender is not really interested in the receiver of the message.

How do you feel about the use of "take care" in a message?

I use it to show friendliness to my friends and family in text and e-mail messages, and that I do not wish the other person any ills for those I have no intention of knowing or meeting via FAB PMs.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *luespartanMan
over a year ago

crawley

Explains all , I often use it , must have upset loads of peeps lol xx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I usually reply "no thankyou take care" if I'm not interested but I genuinely mean it

By *annGentMan
over a year ago

With a cracking view

Why say it if you don't mean it ????

I use it and mean it !

over a year ago

"Apparently, as mentioned on a local radio station a few days ago, in the age of texting and online communications etc., when one signs off with "take care" in a message, it means the sender is not really interested in the receiver of the message.

"

I wasn't aware of that conotation and use it to show that I want the message recipient to be safe and that I am interested in their welfare.

over a year ago

It seems nicer to me than 'regards'. I use it with people I wish well.

By *unky monkeyMan
over a year ago

in the night garden

I say it as term of genuine affection. Certainly no negative connotations.

Usually if I'm not interested I normally sign off my message with a 'fuck off' or 'I hate you' to avoid these ambiguous pitfalls.

over a year ago

We use it in the way we originally intended as a useful greeting.

Had a biker mate of mine ask me never to say it though, as someone had to him once and he'd come to grief on his bike in an RTA afterwards.... the number of times I had to curb the urge to say it and just start with a 'Ttttt' then check myself and say cya later! lol

Wolf

over a year ago

When someone / anyone makes an opposite meaning to a common phrase, it's either because that's what they personally mean or it has become so standardised in the common language that the meaning has become blurred. After after all what does "Yours sincerely" actually mean?

take care, and have a nice day now

over a year ago

I use it in two ways on here, genuinely and 'leave me alone now'.

No malintent or malice exists in saying it however.

In everyday life I would be more inclined to say 'you look after yourself' as opposed to 'take care'

It has become a somewhat throw away phrase

over a year ago

has to be set in the message correctly .... "take care" on its own, may come accross as "watch out"

... or is that just me?

By *izzy RascallMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

"Why say it if you don't mean it ????

I use it and mean it !"

Do you say LOL a lot?

If so, I bet your not LOL'ing when you type it.

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

I don't often use the phase take care. Friends and family I usually say 'be good' and for work or those I don't know so well I too use 'look after yourself'.

By *upitersmileCouple
over a year ago

Manchester

"has to be set in the message correctly .... "take care" on its own, may come accross as "watch out"

... or is that just me?"

Lol

over a year ago

I say 'take care' a lot when I hold someone in high regard. And I mean every single word, I think my meaning is look after yourself I'm thinking about you etc. someone I know is off to afgan today I just seconds ago said that to him. Term of endearment for me. X

over a year ago

I usually use the word 'regards' on here but I have used take care. Its a friendly sign off for me, that's all, no hidden meanings or anything

over a year ago

"Take care" means "end of convo, now fuck off!"

By *phroditeWoman
over a year ago

(She/ her) in Sensualityland

I use "take care" in a friendly semi formal way to say goodbye to somebody. At times, if I know the person well and genuinely feel they need to look after themselves (rather than run around after others 24/7) I say it with a different emphasis and perhaps a handshale where appropriate. All depends on situation, context and relationship!

By *alcon43Woman
over a year ago

Paisley

"Apparently, as mentioned on a local radio station a few days ago, in the age of texting and online communications etc., when one signs off with "take care" in a message, it means the sender is not really interested in the receiver of the message.

I wasn't aware of that conotation and use it to show that I want the message recipient to be safe and that I am interested in their welfare."

Yes I say 'take care' to those that are usually about to go on a trip or on holiday and use it as a term of endearment to show that I do care about their wellbeing and safety.

over a year ago

I often say this to friends as a closing message in a text or email, don't think it's ever been taken in the wrong context.

By *yrdwomanWoman
over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

Its shorthand for 'take care of yourself' so in my books its a nice way to say bye.

over a year ago

For me, take care means, look after yourself, but it doesn't mean anything nasty.

In Northumberland we'd say, "mind huw ye gan", "Watch what yor diyyin" or "gan canny"

All mean much the same thing ..

By *B9 QueenWoman
over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

How do you feel about the use of "take care" in a message?

I use it to show friendliness to my friends and family in text and e-mail messages, and that I do not wish the other person any ills for those I have no intention of knowing or meeting via FAB PMs.

"

When I say it, I mean it.

By *adystephanieTV/TS
over a year ago

glos

It means what it says .....otherwise I would say dont be a fkin a**ole and fkof

By *isscheekychopsWoman
over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

To me if I say to someone take care... I aint seeing you again....

By *emmefataleWoman
over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Depends who the person is....take care can mean just that.....or can mean fuck off n leave me the hell alone.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I always mean it.

With an ex we have two ways of saying, both mean it as a term of endearment but sometimes it is said with just a hint of sarcasm.

Forum Mod

over a year ago

If I say it with a hug then I mean it,if I say it while walking away and looking over my shoulder then I don't

Post new Message to Thread