Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Should females be given priority?

Jump to newest

By *asycouple1971 OP   Couple
over a year ago

midlands

Saw a thread on twitter,

Lady made a complaint as she was not given priority from TheAA when she broke down. It was evening but safe location. AA turned up 22mins after the call was made.

The call handler told her we cannot give you a priority just because you are female, we have to treat everyone equally. She went mad and complained.

Her bio on twitter says she is a feminist.

Does being female mean you should get priority over everyone else . i.e children,babies, health issues,people in dangerous locations?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Saw a thread on twitter,

Lady made a complaint as she was not given priority from TheAA when she broke down. It was evening but safe location. AA turned up 22mins after the call was made.

The call handler told her we cannot give you a priority just because you are female, we have to treat everyone equally. She went mad and complained.

Does being female mean you should get priority over everyone else . i.e children,babies, health issues,people in dangerous locations?

"

No.

It needs no other answer. It's a none discussion or need any kind of explanation as to why its no.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I hadn't heard about this and now I want to kick her in the minge.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I hadn't heard about this and now I want to kick her in the minge.

"

over a year ago

Short answer no. If you are an actual feminist, you are about equality not getting special treatment in situations you pick and choose.

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

No they shouldn't. Disgusting behaviour from the woman.

By *itzi999Woman
over a year ago

Slough

"

Yes, in this case, as she is a lone female with a broken down vehicle. Same if it was an elderly or vulnerable person. I would have complained too if it was me. As for being a feminist it means that women believe in the right to education, to have autonomy over their own lives and their own bodies, so every woman is a feminist.

over a year ago

"

This ! So eloquently put!

over a year ago

People with children/ babies should be given more priority.

By *adyJayneWoman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

Anyone with children should be given priority in my opinion, I can understand why a woman alone might want to be a priority (same reasons why women don't like running alone etc...) but I don't think we should be.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

"

over a year ago

No women shouldn't be given automatic priority over anyone else.

HOWEVER priority should be assessed on a case by case basis. I shouldn't get priority for a drive way repair at 10am just because I'm pregnant, over a man sat on the side of a motorway (but it happened). If anyone felt they were in a very vulnerable situation, i.e alone, in a remote/secluded location etc they should be a priority.

Having a vagina isn't an automatic go first pass

By *atch0101Man
over a year ago

Here

"

Hahahaha Minge. Not heard that in ages

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

Vulnerable *people* should be given priority.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"Vulnerable *people* should be given priority."

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Exactly that.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"No women shouldn't be given automatic priority over anyone else.

HOWEVER priority should be assessed on a case by case basis. I shouldn't get priority for a drive way repair at 10am just because I'm pregnant, over a man sat on the side of a motorway (but it happened). If anyone felt they were in a very vulnerable situation, i.e alone, in a remote/secluded location etc they should be a priority.

Having a vagina isn't an automatic go first pass "

Just because the person feels its a vulnerable situation does not mean it is a vulnerable situation. Using your own example another woman may have felt vulnerable in your position, but factors taken in to consideration it was not a vulnerable situation.

But I do agree with you overall.

By *iscean_dreamMan
over a year ago

Llanelli

No, that's like saying she should go to the front of a queue when shopping. If she's a feminist and all about equality then she shouldn't feel more important than others that are in the same situation. What about the guy that's broken down on his way to a important meeting that if he doesn't turn up it has big consequences?

By *ottom charlieMan
over a year ago

washington

"

its a difficult thing to judge not nowing the full facts but if i was the guy in the queue before her but the operator said that a lady was broken down and had a few small kids in the car would i mind her getting sorted first i think for the sake of the kids and her safety i would not mind waiting a bit longer

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"No women shouldn't be given automatic priority over anyone else.

Having a vagina isn't an automatic go first pass "

This. Case by case basis.

Lone woman after dark may be a factor to consider, but it's not the only one.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I was in the doctor's waiting room with a crying baby. All the other patients insisted that I went before them

By *aui.Man
over a year ago

around here

So here’s my two penn'orth.

I’ll start with some facts. And yes these are actual facts, not ‘Facebook facts’

Males are far more likely to be attacked or killed by strangers than women. Males in their 20s are actually 6 times more likely to be killed by a stranger than their female counterparts. Yes the motivation of the attacker is usually very different but to a family dead is dead no matter the how or why.

So should she be picked up before a male? It’s a difficult one as if it was my daughter, sister, mother then I’d say yes. But then again if my son is alone and scared somewhere wouldn’t I want him picking up first too?

Basically there are to many variables to start prioritising one group over another, a call handler can’t make that decision. And what if there is a man broken down but the next 20 calls are from women, does he wait 7 hours and risk attack, hypothermia or RTC?

Honestly it has nothing to do with feminism or chauvinism or anything else. They all pay the same membership fee, they get the same service. This woman sounds like a self important knob. I bet the recovery driver wished he hadn’t gotten that job!

over a year ago

No. Did she think because she is a woman she had more chance of being råped, murdered or kldnapped? (straight to the most serious I know) These things happen to men too.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

There's not enough information to judge for me. I do think people who are in potentially unsafe situations should get priority but 22 minutes sounds like a perfectly reasonable amount of time to wait so I don't understand what the issue is. If it was going to be hours I'd call someone if I knew anyone was local enough. Possibly call a taxi to get to somewhere I could wait more comfortably.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

"There's not enough information to judge for me. I do think people who are in potentially unsafe situations should get priority but 22 minutes sounds like a perfectly reasonable amount of time to wait so I don't understand what the issue is. If it was going to be hours I'd call someone if I knew anyone was local enough. Possibly call a taxi to get to somewhere I could wait more comfortably. "

I wait longer than that for buses in the dark and cold on my own. 22 fucking minutes.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"There's not enough information to judge for me. I do think people who are in potentially unsafe situations should get priority but 22 minutes sounds like a perfectly reasonable amount of time to wait so I don't understand what the issue is. If it was going to be hours I'd call someone if I knew anyone was local enough. Possibly call a taxi to get to somewhere I could wait more comfortably.

I wait longer than that for buses in the dark and cold on my own. 22 fucking minutes. "

That's because the drivers don't like you because you keep calling them cunts!

One of them told me

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"There's not enough information to judge for me. I do think people who are in potentially unsafe situations should get priority but 22 minutes sounds like a perfectly reasonable amount of time to wait so I don't understand what the issue is. If it was going to be hours I'd call someone if I knew anyone was local enough. Possibly call a taxi to get to somewhere I could wait more comfortably.

I wait longer than that for buses in the dark and cold on my own. 22 fucking minutes. "

. If I called the AA and they arrived in 22 minutes I'd be thrilled. I've waited a lot longer than that for an ambulance when my mum was stuck on the ground in the cold and I couldn't get her up.

over a year ago

I've been given priority before with a break down company, never asked for it though so some less well known/ branded ones may just work by that policy I don't know.

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

I wait longer than that for buses in the dark and cold on my own. 22 fucking minutes.

One of them told me "

I'm very polite I'll have you know, say "cheers cunt" and everything!

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

I think it is safe to say that all but one of us agree, that factors on the situation aside, the simple fact of being a woman does not give you priority.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

One of them told me

I'm very polite I'll have you know, say "cheers cunt" and everything!"

to be fair the cheers actually makes all the difference

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman
over a year ago

On a mooch

Simple answer no, each case should be dealt with based on the individual circumstances.

22 minutes isn’t exactly a long time to wait, where is an entitled slap emoji when I need it !

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Simple answer no, each case should be dealt with based on the individual circumstances.

22 minutes isn’t exactly a long time to wait, where is an entitled slap emoji when I need it ! "

To be fair, I don't think her issue is with the wait time she ended up having, but with the fact she was told "no, you don't get priority for being a woman"

over a year ago

"I think it is safe to say that all but one of us agree, that factors on the situation aside, the simple fact of being a woman does not give you priority. "

But that wasn't the issue. It was being a lone woman at night that was the issue. And yes she should have taken priority over a lone man at night with no other problems such as being disabled.

over a year ago

If she was in a safe location and not classed as “vulnerable” with perhaps a health condition that could get rapidly worse then no. She was lucky to get someone out 22mins after the call. I’m vulnerable, have health issues but have had to wait over an hour for a call out. Doesn’t really bother me, unless it’s freezing!

I’d say parents with young kids would have more priority

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Simple answer no, each case should be dealt with based on the individual circumstances.

22 minutes isn’t exactly a long time to wait, where is an entitled slap emoji when I need it !

To be fair, I don't think her issue is with the wait time she ended up having, but with the fact she was told "no, you don't get priority for being a woman" "

Yeah it was. There was a 2 hour slot on three counties radio last week about this and she was on the programme too. The phone in mostly agreed with her though.

over a year ago

On a mooch

To be fair, I don't think her issue is with the wait time she ended up having, but with the fact she was told "no, you don't get priority for being a woman" "

Oh I know I went and read it after it appeared in the news. I’ll say no more except me and her aren’t on the same page

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

To be fair, I don't think her issue is with the wait time she ended up having, but with the fact she was told "no, you don't get priority for being a woman"

Yeah it was. There was a 2 hour slot on three counties radio last week about this and she was on the programme too. The phone in mostly agreed with her though. "

So her problem is she wasn't given priority, but also she had to wait 22 minutes as well?

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Yeah it was. There was a 2 hour slot on three counties radio last week about this and she was on the programme too. The phone in mostly agreed with her though.

So her problem is she wasn't given priority, but also she had to wait 22 minutes as well? "

Her problem was she wasn’t given priority yes

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

So her problem is she wasn't given priority, but also she had to wait 22 minutes as well?

Her problem was she wasn’t given priority yes "

Ah right, sorry I misread what you said.

over a year ago

It was how she was told also.

"hi @TheAA_UK I am a lone woman whose car has broken down at night in the dark. Your call handler has told me you treat lone women and lone men as exactly the same priority in such circumstances because “that’s equality”."

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"hi @TheAA_UK I am a lone woman whose car has broken down at night in the dark. Your call handler has told me you treat lone women and lone men as exactly the same priority in such circumstances because “that’s equality”.""

Yes that’s true. I think the call handler was told he didn’t handle it in the correct way if I remember rightly.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"hi @TheAA_UK I am a lone woman whose car has broken down at night in the dark. Your call handler has told me you treat lone women and lone men as exactly the same priority in such circumstances because “that’s equality”.""

I'd like to know if that's exactly how she was told or if she is paraphrasing to fit her own benefit.

Having been a call handler in the past I have been witness to the bullshit that happens on both sides of the call. And the conversation revolving around a complaint like this most certainly has 3 sides to it.

over a year ago

"hi @TheAA_UK I am a lone woman whose car has broken down at night in the dark. Your call handler has told me you treat lone women and lone men as exactly the same priority in such circumstances because “that’s equality”."

Yes that’s true. I think the call handler was told he didn’t handle it in the correct way if I remember rightly. "

The reactions that I've seen on Twitter were more about this attitude towards women (which stinks). And the AA are now backtracking.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'd like to know if that's exactly how she was told or if she is paraphrasing to fit her own benefit.

Having been a call handler in the past I have been witness to the bullshit that happens on both sides of the call. And the conversation revolving around a complaint like this most certainly has 3 sides to it. "

Hopefully they're recorded. They are at the contact centre at my work. Very handy.

By *oly Fuck Sticks BatmanCouple
over a year ago

here & there

22 mins is an amazing response tbh! I’ve waited 1hr 30mins on the side of a motorway with a 4 year old.

Granted the highways England guys arrived within 15 mins and parked behind the car, the little one thought it was a great adventure sitting on the top of bank watching the cars fly past.

over a year ago

On a mooch

Having been a call handler in the past I have been witness to the bullshit that happens on both sides of the call. And the conversation revolving around a complaint like this most certainly has 3 sides to it. "

That quote above is her tweet to them not the AA response.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Yes that’s true. I think the call handler was told he didn’t handle it in the correct way if I remember rightly.

The reactions that I've seen on Twitter were more about this attitude towards women (which stinks). And the AA are now backtracking. "

I don’t have Twitter so haven’t seen anything there. I just listened to it on the radio. Most of the people who phoned in agreed with her though. Men and women.

over a year ago

The AA confirmed her story.

"Hi Helen, you've been advised correctly. We don't prioritise based on gender, we do consider the location so as an example we would prioritise someone on a motorway over someone in a supermarket carpark."

By *rincess peachWoman
over a year ago

shits creek

Having been a call handler in the past I have been witness to the bullshit that happens on both sides of the call. And the conversation revolving around a complaint like this most certainly has 3 sides to it.

"Hi Helen, you've been advised correctly. We don't prioritise based on gender, we do consider the location so as an example we would prioritise someone on a motorway over someone in a supermarket carpark." "

Which is what I would expect and hope to be the case.

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

The reactions that I've seen on Twitter were more about this attitude towards women (which stinks). And the AA are now backtracking. "

What attitude towards women?

That the simple case of being a woman should not give you automatic priority without multiple factors being taken in to consideration. It's a triage system, and it always should be.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Hi Helen, you've been advised correctly. We don't prioritise based on gender, we do consider the location so as an example we would prioritise someone on a motorway over someone in a supermarket carpark." "

That sounds fair though.

By *ustBoWoman
over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

No I don't believe she should be given priority because she is a woman that's ridiculous.

Vunerable people should be the priority being female does not make you vunerable .

As for her being a feminist she is the worst kind. A feminist should be looking for equal rights not more rights and special treatment because she is female.

over a year ago

No.

So long as you are in a safe location, then no.

If she felt threatened and wasn't on a hard shoulder of a moterway, then she could have sat in her car with the doors locked .

over a year ago

The AA clarified later

"Rest assured we haven’t changed vulnerable customer policies. We got wording of initial contact wrong & apologised. We prioritise anyone at risk. More often than not it will be lone women. In these breakdowns if any concern is raised they receive highest level of care & priority."

over a year ago

"No.

So long as you are in a safe location, then no.

If she felt threatened and wasn't on a hard shoulder of a moterway, then she could have sat in her car with the doors locked . "

The call handler told her to get out of the car.

over a year ago

I think it should be case by case, but in principal I'd prioritise lone females.

Nothing to do with equality, they are just more likely to be attacked or murdered.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

Not priority but assessed on a case by case basis.

I've been stuck on the M4 by myself, walked up some steps felt relatively safe. Been stuck by myself in a dark carpark have to be honest didn't feel at all safe. But the one that terrified me was stuck on a dual carriageway with 2 small kids. There was no way to walk up stairs away from traffic and spent the time worrying what if one of the kids fell or something.

I guess it all depends on someone making a risk assessment.

over a year ago

"The AA clarified later

"Rest assured we haven’t changed vulnerable customer policies. We got wording of initial contact wrong & apologised. We prioritise anyone at risk. More often than not it will be lone women. In these breakdowns if any concern is raised they receive highest level of care & priority.""

That seems fair.

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"

22 mins?!

I was sat in a freezing cold car with 4 kids (youngest is 6) for 4 hours waiting for them. At 1am, I gave up and got a taxi.

Only waited that long as they kept telling me they would be there within half an hour.

22 minutes is nothing, she just sounds like a really spoilt and entitled person.

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

Anyone who had a child with them in that situation, but otherwise no.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

22 mins?!

I was sat in a freezing cold car with 4 kids (youngest is 6) for 4 hours waiting for them. At 1am, I gave up and got a taxi.

Only waited that long as they kept telling me they would be there within half an hour.

22 minutes is nothing, she just sounds like a really spoilt and entitled person. "

Oh she was definitely one of those. I knew as soon as she spoke.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

22 mins?!

22 minutes is nothing, she just sounds like a really spoilt and entitled person. "

Yeah, the 22 minutes has me rolling my eyes.

over a year ago

On a mooch

22 mins?!

Read her tweets definitely one of those. JustBo sums it up perfectly above

over a year ago

"

Yes, in this case, as she is a lone female with a broken down vehicle. Same if it was an elderly or vulnerable person. I would have complained too if it was me. As for being a feminist it means that women believe in the right to education, to have autonomy over their own lives and their own bodies, so every woman is a feminist. "

That's your interpretation of a feminist - it most certainly isn't everyone's.

Being a lone female doesn't make you instantly vulnerable. A lone female with a car that won't start at midday in Tescos carpark is significantly less vulnerable than a 6'6" male cage fighter broken down in the outside lane of the M25. As others have said, vulnerable people should be given priority,being a lone female is a factor to consider in deciding if someone is vulnerable but it absolutely isn't the only one, not even the most important one. Figures are slightly out of date, but in 2017, of 139 murdered women, only 30 were killed by strangers and of those, 21 were in terrorist attacks. If we accept that terrorist attacks (at least the ones we have had in the UK) are indescriminate, that's 9 women targeted by strangers - which presumably is the only concern of a lone woman - in the whole of the UK. In the same year there were 99 deaths on UK motorways alone - over 1000 on the roads. Being a lone woman in a broken down car may feel scary, it's actually safer than what many women live with at home every day. Put your big girl knickers on and accept the realities of the equality you ask for.

OP she sounds like an opinionated, self centred, selfish person. Sadly the world is full of them, male and female.

Mr

By *oonshadowWoman
over a year ago

COVENTRY

If I breakdown I should hope that the call hander can hear my distress and give me priority accordingly. You don't usually breakdown in an area that you know.

over a year ago

The reactions that I've seen on Twitter were more about this attitude towards women (which stinks). And the AA are now backtracking.

What attitude towards women?

That the simple case of being a woman should not give you automatic priority without multiple factors being taken in to consideration. It's a triage system, and it always should be. "

I was referring to the gotcha about equality

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I think it should be case by case, but in principal I'd prioritise lone females.

Nothing to do with equality, they are just more likely to be attacked or murdered.

"

That's not directly correct, men are more likely to to be a victim of all violent crime with the exception of sexual assault.

You just don't hear about it as much.

By *lairekTV/TS
over a year ago

Manchester

A lot of people play the vulnerability card now, for all sorts of bookings.

Like it or not, most of these services are priced to run at peak capacity. The result is often response times below expectations.

Last minute priority changes can make in day planning less efficient.

It's not an easy thing to manage, and call centre workers get the frustration directed at them.

By *ig1gaz1Man
over a year ago

bradford

Any single parent should get priority.

followed by anyone in a priority situation.

22mins isnt bad for programing sat nav and driving to there location.

What did she expect someone to break the law to get to her, As we dont know where the response vehicle was.

over a year ago

"I think it should be case by case, but in principal I'd prioritise lone females.

That's not directly correct, men are more likely to to be a victim of all violent crime with the exception of sexual assault.

You just don't hear about it as much. "

I don't think there are any stats on what the combined risk of sexual assault and assault/murder would be for men and women. I can only imagine this risk for women of sexual assault is much much higher. As you say men have a much higher risk of assault and murder. It's a question of perceived fear and also the ability to defend oneself that comes into play as well though.

By *lairekTV/TS
over a year ago

Manchester

"Any single parent should get priority.

What did she expect someone to break the law to get to her, As we dont know where the response vehicle was. "

Agreed

She could not know what the logistics were, or other high priority workload in the area at the time.

Maybe she should ask for a breakdown truck to follow her at all times, just in case ...

over a year ago

"Any single parent should get priority.

What did she expect someone to break the law to get to her, As we dont know where the response vehicle was. "

A disabled person may also be more at risk. Someone with a health issue. A pregnant woman. Surely vulnerable people are assigned a "rating" of some kind and triaged that way by The AA and others? It's the only way to make sense of it.

over a year ago

You just don't hear about it as much.

I don't think there are any stats on what the combined risk of sexual assault and assault/murder would be for men and women. I can only imagine this risk for women of sexual assault is much much higher. As you say men have a much higher risk of assault and murder. It's a question of perceived fear and also the ability to defend oneself that comes into play as well though. "

Your point is cogent until you come to the point of being able to defend yourself. You can be the biggest strongest man in the world, but you can't beat a man with a weapon. Male bravado does not mean this is how the feel on the inside - they'd have to be pretty stupid or possibly a professional fighter to know they could defend themselves.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Obviously not.

As bill burr said, you can’t treat equality like a buffet where you only pick the stuff you like

We’re all equal. Vulnerable people should be priorities, regardless of gender

over a year ago

Only on a sinking ship after children lol

Or when she asks you to use your olympic condoms, the silver one and cum second for a change

By *arker secrets 321Man
over a year ago

West Bromwich

If she waited 22min that's good goin so I can't see wot her problem was .x

By *avie65Man
over a year ago

In the west.

If the person, female or male, is in a safe place then it should be on a first come first served basis but only if the person is safe.

If it was in a supermarket or shopping centre carpark at night then the person should be given priority.

I'd say safety comes first.

By *ebjonnsonMan
over a year ago

Maldon

"

Fuck em !

By *ilfCrumpet9Man
over a year ago

Wirral

Depending on the time and location of the breakdown. I got a puncture once very early hours on the motorway. It wasn't a busy stretch of motorway and pitch black. It didn't bother I can look after myself. But at the time the thought did enter my head if it was a lone woman at this time of the night or a member of my family stranded on their own. Wasn't a nice experience trying to change the wheel in pitch black darkness.

So my point if it's really late and miles away from home and traffic then yeah I think it should be given priority but not just aimed at females but anyone who maybe vulnerable

By *ntman83Man
over a year ago

Walsall

"Short answer no. If you are an actual feminist, you are about equality not getting special treatment in situations you pick and choose. "

This

over a year ago

"Depending on the time and location of the breakdown. I got a puncture once very early hours on the motorway. It wasn't a busy stretch of motorway and pitch black. It didn't bother I can look after myself. But at the time the thought did enter my head if it was a lone woman at this time of the night or a member of my family stranded on their own. Wasn't a nice experience trying to change the wheel in pitch black darkness.

So my point if it's really late and miles away from home and traffic then yeah I think it should be given priority but not just aimed at females but anyone who maybe vulnerable "

Why would a woman be more vulnerable, more scared or less able to cope than you? This is the problem, we act like women can't cope, not just some men but some women as well. A woman is just as capable of changing the wheel on a dark motorway as a man. Why don't we all stop pretending that isn't the case and feeding this narrative that having a vagina makes you vulnerable.

There are of course certain crimes that as a woman you are more likely to experience, just as there are certain crimes as a man you are more likely to experience. Either way, the biggest risk in the situation you describe - far far higher than any kind of assault is a sleepy driver plowing into the back of your vehicle and I've never known a sleepy driver to take much notice of the gender of the person they plough into.

Mr

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I don’t usually say this but I’m a bit on the fence with this. I usually try and think of things personally and if my 25 year old daughter had broken down in the pitch black in the middle of nowhere then yes I’d prefer her to come before her 6ft 2 boyfriend if he’d broken down in the same situation.

But it’s not up to me.

over a year ago

"

Absolutely not! I would expect to wait my turn and would hope that they would prioritise those in need regardless of gender. Why on earth does she think she is more entitled than anyone else!

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I don’t usually say this but I’m a bit on the fence with this. I usually try and think of things personally and if my 25 year old daughter had broken down in the pitch black in the middle of nowhere then yes I’d prefer her to come before her 6ft 2 boyfriend if he’d broken down in the same situation.

But it’s not up to me. "

But as somebody else said further up, what if it were your son, not daughter. You would be biased toward him. The bias will be toward those you know or know the capability of them, because you know their situation. There are men and women I know that I personally would rather be the "priority" over a random stranger. I also understand it can't be a simple thing.

On a blank canvas there is no bias, or should not be.

If I broke down somewhere unsafe, I'd be potentially (very likely) far more vulnerable than a woman trained in martial arts and self defense classes. I'm not all that intimidating to look at either, so that's not much of a deterrent visually. Could be seen as an easy target.

As a woman she may potentially be assumed to be the easier target but the risk of being hurt or worse is much higher for me.

As always factors that must be considered beyond "is it a man or woman?"

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"I don’t usually say this but I’m a bit on the fence with this. I usually try and think of things personally and if my 25 year old daughter had broken down in the pitch black in the middle of nowhere then yes I’d prefer her to come before her 6ft 2 boyfriend if he’d broken down in the same situation.

But it’s not up to me.

But as somebody else said further up, what if it were your son, not daughter. You would be biased toward him. The bias will be toward those you know or know the capability of them, because you know their situation. There are men and women I know that I personally would rather be the "priority" over a random stranger. I also understand it can't be a simple thing.

If I broke down somewhere unsafe, I'd be potentially (very likely) far more vulnerable than a woman trained in martial arts and self defense classes. I'm not all that intimidating to look at either, so that's not much of a deterrent visually. Could be seen as an easy target.

As a woman she may potentially be assumed to be the easier target but the risk of being hurt or worse is much higher for me.

As always factors that must be considered beyond "is it a man or woman?" "

True. Like I said I’m on the fence.

By *over757Man
over a year ago

Vera Spain

Equality and priority do not mix......ever!

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

But it’s not up to me.

True. Like I said I’m on the fence. "

I think it can be a bit of a head and heart conflict. Logically you can think you shouldn't get priority and acknowledge there's probably little need but also being able to relate to the fear and sense of vulnerability of having to wait on your own in the dark.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

But it’s not up to me.

True. Like I said I’m on the fence.

I think it can be a bit of a head and heart conflict. Logically you can think you shouldn't get priority and acknowledge there's probably little need but also being able to relate to the fear and sense of vulnerability of having to wait on your own in the dark. "

Yes exactly

By *uriouscouple83Couple
over a year ago

Worcester

I’ve had the misfortune of having to use the RAC twice in my life and all I can say is I am now thinking of switching to the AA if the lady had to only wait 20 odd minutes.

The first time I broke down on a country road, Mr CC drove to me and we swapped places.

The second time was about 2 weeks ago (in mr CC’s car) 3 hours in a dodgy lay-by waiting in the cold. I didn’t feel in anyway vulnerable though, I had a book for entertainment and all of the very polite men who came and left whilst I was there only seemed interested in going into the bushes with each other. I must have accidentally found a birdwatching hotspot.

By *nfin8yWoman
over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

I was given priority on a breakdown years ago, I didn’t ask for it , but they had to leave straight away to attend an accident further on. Just gave me some advice as I was in quite a risky spot.

Post new Message to Thread