Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Does it creep you out?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I really don’t like it when messages on here refer to me by my name.

I don’t know why but it just feels uncomfortable, anyone else feel like that?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *willfindyouWoman
over a year ago

Not looking to meet new peeps.

[Removed by poster at 26/01/22 23:21:26]

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If they're using my name, it's because I've decided they're not too creepy to know it

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

If they have found you on another Internet site then ofcourse they are going to try and use it on here.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

"I really don’t like it when messages on here refer to me by my name.

I don’t know why but it just feels uncomfortable, anyone else feel like that? "

In what sense? As in Dear "K"....?

over a year ago

I don’t understand - how would they know your name?

But yeah, I’d be uncomfortable with this too. It’s definitely overstepping the mark. And shows a lack of boundaries on the part of that person.

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

"I don’t understand - how would they know your name?

But yeah, I’d be uncomfortable with this too. It’s definitely overstepping the mark. And shows a lack of boundaries on the part of that person. "

Think they have found the OP on another platform x

By *isAdventure69Woman
over a year ago

Hampshire

I sent a no thank you recently and he mentioned my name in his reply… it is freaky but I refuse to let it unsettle me, I didn’t even block him.

It’s a creepy thing to do, probably on purpose but I won’t lose any sleep over it.

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

I cant say it creeps me coz my user name is what I'm called - although it is my middle name (shortened) and preferred name of choice off the forum too - not the dizzy miss bit though, obviously

I guess the feeling of over-familiarity can be uncomfortable for some though, especially if worried that your privacy may have been invaded somehow...

I did have one issue where we had to threaten to contact the police come to think of it.

over a year ago

I never give out my real name on here. There's only a couple of people on here who know it and that's because I've known them for a good number of years x

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

But yeah, I’d be uncomfortable with this too. It’s definitely overstepping the mark. And shows a lack of boundaries on the part of that person. "

Hello thingi-me-bob.

over a year ago

I like to open a message with reference to a person's user name as that's how I would open a message to anyone -

"Good evening Alwaysready21, here's my question to you" etc

I can't see anything creepy in that??? It's better than going straight in with no lube -

"Here's my question..."

I always write emails in full English and even text messages or WhatsApp are written formally; I'm just old fashioned I suppose.

over a year ago

I’m assuming that you’re quite recognisable on instagram?

Isn’t there a danger that you may get crossovers of folk here that ‘know’ you via that?

Hazards of having photos on the internet I guess.

over a year ago

You mean your username?

over a year ago

I use a fake name. Lorena Bobbitt usually puts most people off

over a year ago

If they’ve found your name on a different platform (I’m guessing the one you mention in your status) then it’s not that weird because you have your name and photos on a site that anyone can access. It just means they’ve seen your profile on a different site to this one as well.

If they’ve found out your name by more unconventional means in a stalker kind of way, like finding out where you live and looking through your wheelie bin for a letter for example, then that is a bit weird and would understandable creep you out.

By *ersey GirlCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

Well you have clear face pics so they probably don't think your privacy is paramount

R

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

My name's Dave, and it's on my profile so as we can be on first name terms before either of us are five minutes older.

Now on a serious note, many years ago when I was being groomed for management of a national stock market quoted company, I was put on courses including one conducted by The Dale Carnegie institute. The course commenced by each of us introducing ourselves. Then we were asked to turn our name boards flat on the table, and asked in turn how many round the table could remember one another's names. Obviously very few could recollect everyone. The point of the exercise was to prove to everyone that the sweetest sounding word in any language to every individual is their name. Commiting people's name's to memory has stood me in good stead in both professional and social life with me being asked on many occasions by people who I've not met that frequently, "How do you remember my name?" There is in fact a technique to being able to do that, but thereby hangs another tale. That psychological strategy is adopted by personnel officers in most companies to get the best out of their staff. So to my way of thinking, "If it's working, no need to mend it."

over a year ago

Aah, I have quite a low social media presence and don’t have Instagram. So I haven’t experienced that crossover as yet. It could pretty much only happen if someone knew me from real life. And that hasn’t happened yet either!

I do get why you don’t like this happening LG, even if I can’t fully articulate why. It’s like bringing one world into another, and that can give us a jolt and a sense of unease.

By *ic_khan2341Man
over a year ago

Manchester

Nope... not happened to me.

over a year ago

Finding me and messaging me on other platforms does, but using my name doesn’t bother me so much…as it’s not Viv anyway, lol. It’s a stage name, that’s been used for so many years everyone calls me Viv, and very few know my real one. If they used my real one, that would freak me out, as they’d have to know me personally, or found it out through links to my family, and would involve delving in to my life with my children, and that’s not good. I don’t share my children on any page referring to me as Viv, so I definitely wouldn’t appreciate anyone using it x

As to using other platforms, and taking that private information to sites like this, where you want a degree of anonymity, I get it. Just because someone doesn’t hide their face, etc, it doesn’t mean they want their private life being treated like it’s fair game to overstep the boundaries you set. Unfortunately some people don’t see that, and they kind of assume they don’t have to respect your right to privacy. If you invite them to discuss it etc, that’s your decision, but if they simply say “saw you on” such and such a site, and then try to force that conversation, they’ve crossed a line xx

That’s my view anyway.

Viv x

over a year ago

"My name's Dave, and it's on my profile so as we can be on first name terms before either of us are five minutes older.

Now on a serious note, many years ago when I was being groomed for management of a national stock market quoted company, I was put on courses including one conducted by The Dale Carnegie institute. The course commenced by each of us introducing ourselves. Then we were asked to turn our name boards flat on the table, and asked in turn how many round the table could remember one another's names. Obviously very few could recollect everyone. The point of the exercise was to prove to everyone that the sweetest sounding word in any language to every individual is their name. Commiting people's name's to memory has stood me in good stead in both professional and social life with me being asked on many occasions by people who I've not met that frequently, "How do you remember my name?" There is in fact a technique to being able to do that, but thereby hangs another tale. That psychological strategy is adopted by personnel officers in most companies to get the best out of their staff. So to my way of thinking, "If it's working, no need to mend it.""

Do you watch The Office (US version)? There’s a great episode where Michael Scott (the branch manager) is doing a presentation to another branch to give them tips as his branch is more successful than theirs. He talks about how important it is to remember someone’s name. However, he uses everyone’s worst features as an aid to remembering their names so when he explains his method to them he ends up offending everyone....it’s funnier than how I’ve explained it.....

over a year ago

Probably image searched OP”s pics maybe.

I don’t tend to use my real name on here and very few I tell it to. Those I tell it to, I don’t feel weird at all if they then use it.

But a new profile had messaged me and referred to me by name. that did feel weird, as I don’t have any photos that they can use (image search) to find my “normal “ social media accounts. So I blocked them.

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

People use my name because I've told them.

I find it funny when people guess and get it completely wrong, complete with "I know who you are". Oh really. Do you now

By *ilverjagMan
over a year ago

swansea

"My name's Dave, and it's on my profile so as we can be on first name terms before either of us are five minutes older.

Now on a serious note, many years ago when I was being groomed for management of a national stock market quoted company, I was put on courses including one conducted by The Dale Carnegie institute. The course commenced by each of us introducing ourselves. Then we were asked to turn our name boards flat on the table, and asked in turn how many round the table could remember one another's names. Obviously very few could recollect everyone. The point of the exercise was to prove to everyone that the sweetest sounding word in any language to every individual is their name. Commiting people's name's to memory has stood me in good stead in both professional and social life with me being asked on many occasions by people who I've not met that frequently, "How do you remember my name?" There is in fact a technique to being able to do that, but thereby hangs another tale. That psychological strategy is adopted by personnel officers in most companies to get the best out of their staff. So to my way of thinking, "If it's working, no need to mend it."

Do you watch The Office (US version)? There’s a great episode where Michael Scott (the branch manager) is doing a presentation to another branch to give them tips as his branch is more successful than theirs. He talks about how important it is to remember someone’s name. However, he uses everyone’s worst features as an aid to remembering their names so when he explains his method to them he ends up offending everyone....it’s funnier than how I’ve explained it....."

I haven't seen that programme because, I watch very little television, but strangely enough, that's basically the teqnique that we were taught on the course. We were told to think of a picture relating to that persons name, and the more ridiculous an image we could conjure up in our heads, the easier it is to remember that persons name. So as the Dale Carnegie institute is an American based organisation, he might have attended the same course. The other trick of the trade is to remember a persons hobbies and interests, and what's going on in their life, but that's digressing from the subject here about names.

By *cottieboy123Man
over a year ago

Perth

Couldn't agree with you more, Brenda

over a year ago

I do remember when I checked out your profile you had a link to your Instagram with your name so I don't feel like it's unreasonable for people to call you by your name.

I'd be pissed off if someone called me by mine but it's something I keep very private so more understandable I think.

over a year ago

This is why i would never post pics on here I have else where. Or public face pics.

Only the super weird (but cute) ones know my real name from here and that doesn't really creep me out, much..

over a year ago

If you have a different name on another platform, but you offer a link to that platform, its not surprising that it might be used here too, really, is it?

over a year ago

Maybe have a username on other platforms? No one here knows my name and im on Instagram with a lot of followers....but its under a username....I think im safe from anyone bothering to stalk me

over a year ago

I had this, he found me elsewhere and then went looking further, found out my name. I found it creepy, and I told him, right before I blocked him!

over a year ago

But yeah, I’d be uncomfortable with this too. It’s definitely overstepping the mark. And shows a lack of boundaries on the part of that person.

Think they have found the OP on another platform x"

This

over a year ago

"I do remember when I checked out your profile you had a link to your Instagram with your name so I don't feel like it's unreasonable for people to call you by your name.

I'd be pissed off if someone called me by mine but it's something I keep very private so more understandable I think. "

I did at one point as I was sick to death of the abusive messages calling me a fake so user they to prove that I was genuine. And it did work.

Now I think a lot reverse search my images to see if I’m fake and find me on instagram that way.

All of the above is fine but I just don’t like my name being used on here.

By *ersey GirlCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

"I do remember when I checked out your profile you had a link to your Instagram with your name so I don't feel like it's unreasonable for people to call you by your name.

I'd be pissed off if someone called me by mine but it's something I keep very private so more understandable I think.

I did at one point as I was sick to death of the abusive messages calling me a fake so user they to prove that I was genuine. And it did work.

Now I think a lot reverse search my images to see if I’m fake and find me on instagram that way.

All of the above is fine but I just don’t like my name being used on here. "

So you posted your name on here but don't want people to use it

R

over a year ago

People either use my user name or the name i’ve put on my profile. Neither are my real life names

over a year ago

All of the above is fine but I just don’t like my name being used on here. "

Maybe change your username and personal info on Instagram?

I understand why you don't like it but you're not helping yourself by having your photos easily linked to personal information.

It's awful but on websites like this you'll always get people who go out of their way to find out personal details about you so if that's something that bothers you it's probably best to be as discreet as possible where you can.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

"I use a fake name. Lorena Bobbitt usually puts most people off"

just spat my tea out!

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Like you come on here expecting fine manners and chivalry and kindness..

It’s a sleaze site ffs

By *odieCI5Man
over a year ago

Solihull

[Removed by poster at 27/01/22 21:42:36]

By *ersey GirlCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

I understand why you don't like it but you're not helping yourself by having your photos easily linked to personal information.

It's awful but on websites like this you'll always get people who go out of their way to find out personal details about you so if that's something that bothers you it's probably best to be as discreet as possible where you can. "

Yes maybe the posting her Instagram link. Telling everyone you can reverse image her pics that leads you to her Instagram. Putting a status up about her Instagram and starting a forum post with information that links to her Instagram is maybe not the best idea

R

over a year ago

It's awful but on websites like this you'll always get people who go out of their way to find out personal details about you so if that's something that bothers you it's probably best to be as discreet as possible where you can.

Yes maybe the posting her Instagram link. Telling everyone you can reverse image her pics that leads you to her Instagram. Putting a status up about her Instagram and starting a forum post with information that links to her Instagram is maybe not the best idea

R"

I don’t have an instagram link on my profile.

People are telling me that they have reverse searched my instagram page to see if I was fake.

I’m getting a lot of messages about the fakeness aspect.

aspect.

Yes, all of that is to be expected, that’s not what my complaint was,

I was merely asking if others are creeped out if someone uses their real name on here (if you’ve given it in a meet, they’ve found you elsewhere or any other scenario).

They was the point of this post - nothing else

over a year ago

So you posted your name on here but don't want people to use it

R"

Nope, I haven’t posted my name on here. Do you see my name listed anywhere on here?

over a year ago

If anyone uses someone's name just out of the blue it's for one reason, to make them feel powerful and the other person feel uncomfortable.

Must leave you feeling nervous or worried wondering how they know you, wondering if they are ppl you work with,exes etc.

Anyone deliberately making someone feel that is much worse than a creep

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Just send me your Instagram and I'll keep calling your Jeff.

over a year ago

"Just send me your Instagram and I'll keep calling your Jeff. "

Haha that wouldn’t work, my name actually is Jeff

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"Just send me your Instagram and I'll keep calling your Jeff.

Haha that wouldn’t work, my name actually is Jeff "

Dammit

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

I suppose they're attempting to establish some familiarity having seen you on another platform?

Not sonething I would do, but there are always others who think differently.

over a year ago

I suppose they're attempting to establish some familiarity having seen you on another platform?

Not sonething I would do, but there are always others who think differently. "

Oh yeah, definitely. It’s not done with malice.

It’s just something that makes me feel uneasy. But strangely it happens with guys I’ve met who then message me here.

I’m a strange person

over a year ago

Haha that wouldn’t work, my name actually is Jeff "

Always wondered what tge Jeffing in effing and Jeffing, meant.

Now I think I want to do some jeffing

over a year ago

Haha that wouldn’t work, my name actually is Jeff

Always wondered what tge Jeffing in effing and Jeffing, meant.

Now I think I want to do some jeffing "

Jeffrey is my Sunday name

over a year ago

Good luck in finding my real name on

any other platforms.

But saying that it would not freek me out just make me curious how you found out my name.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

Not sonething I would do, but there are always others who think differently.

Oh yeah, definitely. It’s not done with malice.

It’s just something that makes me feel uneasy. But strangely it happens with guys I’ve met who then message me here.

I’m a strange person "

Everyone has their quirks

By *piderBunnyCouple
over a year ago

Back of Nowhere and Beyond

If I've met someone, or told them my name, I've got no issue at all with them using my name in messages on here.

I did object when someone I'd never told my name found it out through nefarious means and posted it on the forum though.

Posh

over a year ago

I only give my actual name to those I trust. Really not an issue.

over a year ago

They should refer you to as you are in here IMO ... if it’s a private message that’s different

over a year ago

"If I've met someone, or told them my name, I've got no issue at all with them using my name in messages on here.

I did object when someone I'd never told my name found it out through nefarious means and posted it on the forum though.

Posh "

Sorry Gretchen.

over a year ago

"If I've met someone, or told them my name, I've got no issue at all with them using my name in messages on here.

Posh "

How does someone find it through"nefarious means"? I don't get it. If you're particular who you give your name out to then surely you're careful?

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

I'd feel uncomfortable if someone showed their knowledge of me, that's been gained from elsewhere. I use my real first name, so I have no problem with that being used.

If a user gives a first name, I twnd to use it.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

[Removed by poster at 27/01/22 22:52:08]

By *piderBunnyCouple
over a year ago

Posh

Sorry Gretchen. "

I've just about forgiven you Agatha.

By *piderBunnyCouple
over a year ago

Posh

How does someone find it through"nefarious means"? I don't get it. If you're particular who you give your name out to then surely you're careful?"

I am careful.

Unfortunately not everyone is discreet, and this person didnt find out my name from someone on here.

Posh

over a year ago

Posh

How does someone find it through"nefarious means"? I don't get it. If you're particular who you give your name out to then surely you're careful?

I am careful.

Unfortunately not everyone is discreet, and this person didnt find out my name from someone on here.

Posh"

Hmm OK.

By *ophieslutTV/TS
over a year ago

Central

Posh

How does someone find it through"nefarious means"? I don't get it. If you're particular who you give your name out to then surely you're careful?"

That's what you wouldn't necessarily know, so why it could creep someone out.

Perhaps photo reverse search, recognising you in your plane of work, at school dropping off my kids - and then tracking you and more information about you down, etc

By *antasyrealmCouple
over a year ago

Congleton

what do you want them to call you? Peter......?

over a year ago

Posh

Perhaps photo reverse search, recognising you in your plane of work, at school dropping off my kids - and then tracking you and more information about you down, etc"

Well I'd consider that being careless really. Surely any interaction online could lead an onlooker back to your true identity so you can't complain when it does.

By *ersey GirlCouple
over a year ago

Glasgow

R

People are telling me that they have reverse searched my instagram page to see if I was fake.

aspect.

I was merely asking if others are creeped out if someone uses their real name on here (if you’ve given it in a meet, they’ve found you elsewhere or any other scenario).

"

I'm going by lemonbuttercreams comment that you did have a link previously

You literally have said on this post that people can reverse your images and find your Instagram

Well I think the fact you are creeped out by people finding your Instagram and referring to you on here by your real name you are multiplying the chances of that continuing by highlighting it so much

R

By *piderBunnyCouple
over a year ago

Posh

Perhaps photo reverse search, recognising you in your plane of work, at school dropping off my kids - and then tracking you and more information about you down, etc

Well I'd consider that being careless really. Surely any interaction online could lead an onlooker back to your true identity so you can't complain when it does. "

I'm not complaining about him knowing my name, but posting it on the forum is not acceptable.

Posh

over a year ago

R

aspect.

I'm going by lemonbuttercreams comment that you did have a link previously

You literally have said on this post that people can reverse your images and find your Instagram

Well I think the fact you are creeped out by people finding your Instagram and referring to you on here by your real name you are multiplying the chances of that continuing by highlighting it so much

R"

I’m not creeped out by people finding me on instagram, that isn’t an issue at all. If anything, it helps as it appeared to give validity to my “realness” and lessen the “fake” comments they where becoming so frequent that it was ruining my time on here.

The only thing I am referring to is the feeling that I get when someone on this platform used my real name. Just wanted to know if others felt the same.

over a year ago

I don’t know why but it just feels uncomfortable, anyone else feel like that? what do you want them to call you? Peter......?"

Peter is fine

over a year ago

One guy saw me on here then tracked me down and messaged me on both NextDoor and Facebook. Creepy!

over a year ago

"One guy saw me on here then tracked me down and messaged me on both NextDoor and Facebook. Creepy! "

That is creepy!

over a year ago

I also get asked all the time what the F stands for, if I wanted strangers to know my real name I wouldn’t just have a letter!

over a year ago

I find it creepy when someone messages you to say they’ve just seen you in a shop or going into the gym

over a year ago

"I find it creepy when someone messages you to say they’ve just seen you in a shop or going into the gym "

Agreed especially when said shop is near to where you live

over a year ago

"I also get asked all the time what the F stands for, if I wanted strangers to know my real name I wouldn’t just have a letter! "

This is why I have a made up name here. It's Violetta atm. Previously it's been King George, Rear Admiral and at Christmas I cycled through all of the reindeer. I still got "Dear Prancer"

over a year ago

"I find it creepy when someone messages you to say they’ve just seen you in a shop or going into the gym

Agreed especially when said shop is near to where you live "

That is totally creepy and that person has to know that. It's a trip for them.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

"I find it creepy when someone messages you to say they’ve just seen you in a shop or going into the gym "

That is creepy and shows no restraint or consideration of boundaries...

over a year ago

"I find it creepy when someone messages you to say they’ve just seen you in a shop or going into the gym

That is creepy and shows no restraint or consideration of boundaries..."

It’s usually ones without pictures too

I have nothing to hide or anything like that, but I do find it creepy at times it’s like being watched…

over a year ago

I have nothing to hide or anything like that, but I do find it creepy at times it’s like being watched…"

It is! Do they think they're gaining something by telling you that - are they special somehow?

over a year ago

I have nothing to hide or anything like that, but I do find it creepy at times it’s like being watched…

It is! Do they think they're gaining something by telling you that - are they special somehow? "

Yeah they probably think like that!

over a year ago

It is! Do they think they're gaining something by telling you that - are they special somehow?

Yeah they probably think like that! "

Totally deluded

over a year ago

Worse when they have a video of you in a shop then getting in your car, had this on and off for six months in end after they broke a restraining order they got the mental health support they needed, and yes they was from off here, one the reasons I left just about every site I was a member of.

over a year ago

"Worse when they have a video of you in a shop then getting in your car, had this on and off for six months in end after they broke a restraining order they got the mental health support they needed, and yes they was from off here, one the reasons I left just about every site I was a member of."

Bloody hell. I was freaked out just from one guy popping up here because he'd followed me from site to site. For two years. If he knew my current address...I'd lose it. A very uncomfortable experience for you.

over a year ago

"Worse when they have a video of you in a shop then getting in your car, had this on and off for six months in end after they broke a restraining order they got the mental health support they needed, and yes they was from off here, one the reasons I left just about every site I was a member of.

Bloody hell. I was freaked out just from one guy popping up here because he'd followed me from site to site. For two years. If he knew my current address...I'd lose it. A very uncomfortable experience for you. "

Well thankfully I have now moved 3 hours away from London so won't be easy to find again

over a year ago

"Worse when they have a video of you in a shop then getting in your car, had this on and off for six months in end after they broke a restraining order they got the mental health support they needed, and yes they was from off here, one the reasons I left just about every site I was a member of."

What?!?! Omg!!! That is insane!

over a year ago

Wow!

And I thought messaging me here with my name as the title, and telling me they’d seen me in Asda afew days previously was bad

By *each69Woman
over a year ago

doncaster

I’ve been called many names lol,

I just take it like a pinch of salt i even once had a bloke message me saying he’s found me in a porn film made in Germany, called peach sweet 69,

I’ve not even been to Germany LOL,

over a year ago

"Worse when they have a video of you in a shop then getting in your car, had this on and off for six months in end after they broke a restraining order they got the mental health support they needed, and yes they was from off here, one the reasons I left just about every site I was a member of.

Wow!

And I thought messaging me here with my name as the title, and telling me they’d seen me in Asda afew days previously was bad "

Weirdly that is how it started, must be something about Asda!!

Post new Message to Thread