Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Keeping positive

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

If you had to give advice to someone who's struggling? what would be your best solution be?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

Take life a day at a time, an hour at a time on your very bad days. Try and keep yourself busy, distraction is a good thing. Play some happy music and above all confide in someone about how you're feeling.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Talk to someone!

over a year ago

"Take life a day at a time, an hour at a time on your very bad days. Try and keep yourself busy, distraction is a good thing. Play some happy music and above all confide in someone about how you're feeling."

over a year ago

"Talk to someone!"

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

It is OK to not be OK

The hardest step is first telling someone about it and strangers are normally best to offload on

over a year ago

"It is OK to not be OK

The hardest step is first telling someone about it and strangers are normally best to offload on"

By *ittleMissCaliWoman
over a year ago

trouble most likely, or creating it :)

Never look back, only forwards

over a year ago

Its ok not to be ok

over a year ago

"Never look back, only forwards "

I'm not sure I actually agree with that because sometimes looking back can be the only way we can do forward.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

That even though it feels hopeless now, tomorrow is a new day with new possibilities. Never lose hope.

over a year ago

I would say come and find me, get away from your usual routine for an hour or so and just talk to me over a coffee. There is always someone a lot worse of than ourselves and whatever is going on can be made better

over a year ago

Find someone to talk to, its the best medicine. Bottling things up only makes it worse.

over a year ago

Be kind to yourself so accept that it's fine to be having a bad day. If you're having a lot of negative thoughts, remember they are just thoughts and not reality. They have importance if you give them importance.

Try and change those thoughts for a few mins by doing something nice for yourself as has been suggested by others.

Finally, always have hope...life has ups and downs....so the downs will pass

over a year ago

You've already survived 100% of your bad days, you are stronger than you think you are.

over a year ago

Everything is temporary

over a year ago

Be kind to yourself, it's OK to be selfish and look after yourself.

Talk to someone , and saying you are struggling is a very brave step it can only get better now.

over a year ago

Get medical advice and stay off of the forums!!!!

T

over a year ago

Talk to someone, simply just sit and take some deep breaths, get out in the fresh air. Just switch off from everything for a while and go to your "happy place". We've all got one. Reach out to find help, there's support out there. Take care of yourself x

over a year ago

All of the above advice is fantastic I would just also add that just let them know you are there for them even if it's just to listen or them to vent just to further show that you are there for them and show them they are not alone somebody cares and that they do matter.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

In addition to all the above, maybe walk a dog for neighbour? Pets can give us a good sense of well being and dog walking for someone can be the next best thing.

over a year ago

I would advise, find a person who knows you well and talk to them about struggles. Seek professional advice, spend less time online. Also, take time to reflect on whether struggles are through external factors, take small steps to make small changes.

Always try remember, it won't last forever.

over a year ago

Get a scrap book and fill it with memories, photos, descriptions of special times, even the odd argument. The person may have gone but memories always remain.

over a year ago

Get out in nature.. go for a wander, enjoy & appreciate the little things around you.

Listen to music.

Try and think of one positive each day… even if it’s that you got yourself out of bed and got dressed. Or that the sun was shining or you made it through another day and tomorrow is a new day.

over a year ago

"Get out in nature.. go for a wander, enjoy & appreciate the little things around you.

Listen to music.

Try and think of one positive each day… even if it’s that you got yourself out of bed and got dressed. Or that the sun was shining or you made it through another day and tomorrow is a new day."

over a year ago

"In addition to all the above, maybe walk a dog for neighbour? Pets can give us a good sense of well being and dog walking for someone can be the next best thing."

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

Simply talk to someone, it dosnt have to be anyone you know there are organisation that you can called to talk through your issues

over a year ago

Just wanted to share an excellent book I've just finished reading called "The body keeps the score" by Bessel Van Der Kolk.

It explores trauma and how to deal with it and has lots of science to support his views and recommendations. Worth a read. Eg..the science behind the benefits of slow and deep breathing ..how the brain is affected beneficially.

By *orthantsblueeyesMan
over a year ago

Northampton

"If you had to give advice to someone who's struggling? what would be your best solution be? "

Make sure they know that I'm only ever a call or txt away, anytime

By *aitonelMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

"If you had to give advice to someone who's struggling? what would be your best solution be?

Make sure they know that I'm only ever a call or txt away, anytime "

I'm not saying this about you or any person in particular that has said this or similar in this thread.

Sometimes this is one of the worst things you can say, because some don't or can't always live up to this. When the time comes and they try to reach out for that help or support it is not there. Which is an extremely hard position to be in when already feeling so low and vulnerable. When that happens it can be worse than no help being offered at all. I can truely break you, and enhance everything that is already making you feel as you are.

I speak from experience.

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"If you had to give advice to someone who's struggling? what would be your best solution be? "

Eat better.

It's helping me massively.

C

By *orthantsblueeyesMan
over a year ago

Northampton

"If you had to give advice to someone who's struggling? what would be your best solution be?

Make sure they know that I'm only ever a call or txt away, anytime

I'm not saying this about you or any person in particular that has said this or similar in this thread.

Sometimes this is one of the worst things you can say, because some don't or can't always live up to this. When the time comes and they try to reach out for that help or support it is not there. Which is an extremely hard position to be in when already feeling so low and vulnerable. When that happens it can be worse than no help being offered at all. I can truely break you, and enhance everything that is already making you feel as you are.

I speak from experience. "

Fair comment dude

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Don't try to tough it out - do things you enjoy to take some of the mental burden off, and seek help.

By *adyBugsWoman
over a year ago

cognito

Analyse why you are struggling.

Is it over things you can control? Look at how you can change them. Step by step. Baby steps if needed.

Is it things out of your control that might be irrational? Find tools that can work for you to reframe your perspective on what worries you. Like journaling about it, finding a group that shares the same worries and discusses it, find something that distracts you from those thoughts when they start.

You’ll find the right way for you.

Post new Message to Thread