Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

'captcha' issues!!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Has anyone else been frustrated by encountering these annoying 'captcha' thingys that some sites use?

Jeez...i used to think i was moderately intelligent until i faced some of them....

harumph.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

over a year ago

Get yer rifle to them cowboy.

over a year ago

"Has anyone else been frustrated by encountering these annoying 'captcha' thingys that some sites use?

Jeez...i used to think i was moderately intelligent until i faced some of them....

harumph. "

varifocal glasses make them even more frustrating

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"Has anyone else been frustrated by encountering these annoying 'captcha' thingys that some sites use?

harumph.

I started to think that varifocal lenses would actually help!

varifocal glasses make them even more frustrating "

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

They annoy the fuck outta me.

The biggest captcha system is owned and managed by Google, and is called reCaptcha. Interestingly you only need to get one of the woods right... the captcha software doesn't actually know what both words are.

It's designed to not only prove you are human but also to help Google complete the work they're doing to electronically scan old editions of the New York Times and out-of-print books as part of Project Gutenberg. When there's a word that Google's software can't recognise it adds it to the list of words to appear as a captcha.

The unknown word is then shown to a large number of people and provided enough of them come back with the same response Google then knows what the word is.

The other word that is displayed on a captcha is the only one you're actually being tested on. This is the control word and is what Google uses to determine you're a human and not an automated system trying to bypass the system. As long as you get the control word right it doesn't actually matter what you type for the unintelligible word because Google doesn't even know what the correct answer is... just if it's the same word that everyone else puts, then they assume that's correct.

Fascinating, really, isn't it?

By *G LanaTV/TS
over a year ago

Gosport

Read something the other day about a new captcha system based on moral decisions rather than individual character recognition skills. The idea was that you would be given a challenge phrase with a word missing and have to select a sensible answer. The example shown was something along the lines:

The routine torture of captured prisoners in Bosnia was ___________. With options of exciting, disgraceful or satisfying.

The idea was that this could be used to also simultaneously check that it was a human respondent but also raise awareness of social issues in the population. Whilst reading the article it seemed a good idea but thinking about it afterwards I realised that I had concerns that it could be easily abused with people posing statements with two clearly morally wrong answers but a third answer which is also suspect. For instance I could imagine this being used by the Christian right in America to push creationism for example.

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Why do the 4s look like As?

By *arambarMan
over a year ago

swindon

I like the one where there's 4 pictures... 3 cats and a bulldog, and you have to pick the wrong one out.

Post new Message to Thread