Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Jay Blades

Jump to newest

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

Discuss!

I think it is fantastic that someone in the media spotlight has come out and said he has a problem with reading.

For someone of his age, and having this difficulty, I think it is a fantastic thing that he is doing to highlight something that is far more common than you may think.

To me it sounds and looks like he has Meares-Irlen syndrome.

Well done that fella.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ntrigued32Couple
over a year ago

Nottingham

I think it must have been very difficult for him to open up about this. I can only praise him for doing so publicly. I hope he will encourage others to seek help.

Jo.Xx

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"I think it must have been very difficult for him to open up about this. I can only praise him for doing so publicly. I hope he will encourage others to seek help.

I really hope it does as well. I see far too many people every day that struggle with reading and writing and think there is something wrong with them.

I know some that simply say they are thick because they struggle. That is the last thing they are.

Jo.Xx "

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Meares-Irlen, this condition lists reading music as something that's very difficult.

Music is difficult to read and is not a daily life skill, so we can live full lives without out that one. I've always struggled to read it, the notation is ripe for change.

Struggling with numbers and sequences is much more detrimental to everyday life, that understanding quavers and crochets. Phone number entries, basic mental arithmetic and money skills are all affected by DysCALCULia, the cal refers to the same CALCUL as in calculator. This means you can be great with words and reading, but really struggle in the maths classroom.

This never gets anywhere near as much attention as dyslexia, if it does it's a sentence or too in the text books.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I think it must have been very difficult for him to open up about this. I can only praise him for doing so publicly. I hope he will encourage others to seek help.

Jo.Xx "

This.

Well done to him, and I can't imagine how difficult it has been getting to 51 without being able to read.

It is something I (and most) take for granted on a daily basis.

I have met Jay in a professional capacity, and had no idea.

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"Meares-Irlen, this condition lists reading music as something that's very difficult.

Music is difficult to read and is not a daily life skill, so we can live full lives without out that one. I've always struggled to read it, the notation is ripe for change.

Struggling with numbers and sequences is much more detrimental to everyday life, that understanding quavers and crochets. Phone number entries, basic mental arithmetic and money skills are all affected by DysCALCULia, the cal refers to the same CALCUL as in calculator. This means you can be great with words and reading, but really struggle in the maths classroom.

This never gets anywhere near as much attention as dyslexia, if it does it's a sentence or too in the text books.

"

Dyscalculia certainly doesn't get the attention that dyslexia does and that affects many many people as well. People are afraid to seek help because they think they will be singled out for ridicule.

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

Jo.Xx

This.

Well done to him, and I can't imagine how difficult it has been getting to 51 without being able to read.

It is something I (and most) take for granted on a daily basis.

I have met Jay in a professional capacity, and had no idea. "

Most people that I have come across with reading, writing and numeracy problems, it isn't fair to call it a problem, are very good at hiding it.

These people have strengths and talents that others don't as they have adapted their lives to cope and in many cases excel in their chosen field.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Meares-Irlen, this condition lists reading music as something that's very difficult.

This never gets anywhere near as much attention as dyslexia, if it does it's a sentence or TWO in the text books.

Dyscalculia certainly doesn't get the attention that dyslexia does and that affects many many people as well. People are afraid to seek help because they think they will be singled out for ridicule. "

How many maths teachers know that condition exists? Not my colege tutor, that's for sure, he was really sarcy with me, but I never knew at the time, when I was doing an N2 in Maths (its higher than an o-level, but lower than an A level).

(I've just realised that sounds like a jokey maths puzzle.)

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

[Removed by poster at 25/01/22 19:35:46]

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

This never gets anywhere near as much attention as dyslexia, if it does it's a sentence or TWO in the text books.

Dyscalculia certainly doesn't get the attention that dyslexia does and that affects many many people as well. People are afraid to seek help because they think they will be singled out for ridicule.

How many maths teachers know that condition exists? Not my colege tutor, that's for sure, he was really sarcy with me, but I never knew at the time, when I was doing an N2 in Maths (its higher than an o-level, but lower than an A level).

(I've just realised that sounds like a jokey maths puzzle.)"

It isn't just maths teachers.

over a year ago

Were you just watching the One Show by any chance? Jay was on, about his show that's coming up, and explaining how he's coped over the years.

My partner is reading his autobiography and has told me snippets. Sounds really interesting.

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"Were you just watching the One Show by any chance? Jay was on, about his show that's coming up, and explaining how he's coped over the years.

My partner is reading his autobiography and has told me snippets. Sounds really interesting. "

No, I missed it. I usually watch adult Blue Peter but the dishes were calling.

over a year ago

"No, I missed it. I usually watch adult Blue Peter but the dishes were calling. "

Hah I like 'adult Blue Peter'. I don't choose to watch it, my partner had it on.

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"No, I missed it. I usually watch adult Blue Peter but the dishes were calling.

Hah I like 'adult Blue Peter'. I don't choose to watch it, my partner had it on. "

Somehow that name just fits.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"No, I missed it. I usually watch adult Blue Peter but the dishes were calling.

Hah I like 'adult Blue Peter'. I don't choose to watch it, my partner had it on.

Somehow that name just fits. "

I thought that was Top Gear, you know the winter specials and the challenges. The totaliser board got replaced with results board and the odd interview.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Who is this person?

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"Who is this person?"

He presents the Repair Shop and has a background in furniture restoration.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

"Who is this person?

He presents the Repair Shop and has a background in furniture restoration. "

Oh the guy with the glasses!

By *avie65 OP   Man
over a year ago

In the west.

"Who is this person?

He presents the Repair Shop and has a background in furniture restoration.

Oh the guy with the glasses! "

Yeah and cool as!

Post new Message to Thread