Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I had no idea re bras

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Am I the last to know that bras in black and darker colours tend to run smaller, due to the dyeing process?

If not, then why didn't you tell me?

All these years of having boobs and wearing bras but I only just found this out yesterday!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

To be honest I’m not even sure what your post means? Darker coloured bras run smaller?

over a year ago

"To be honest I’m not even sure what your post means? Darker coloured bras run smaller? "

If the bra is black or navy blue say, its likely to be a smaller size as opposed to a white or pink bra which will be a larger size due to the lighter coloured fabric requiring less dye.

over a year ago

"To be honest I’m not even sure what your post means? Darker coloured bras run smaller?

If the bra is black or navy blue say, its likely to be a smaller size as opposed to a white or pink bra which will be a larger size due to the lighter coloured fabric requiring less dye. "

Ah right, gotcha, thank you

I never knew this either. So in theory then the BBWs should mostly be in white / lighter bras on here then? Is that the case?

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

[Removed by poster at 24/01/22 22:22:56]

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

"[Removed by poster at 24/01/22 22:22:56]"

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

are you serious OP? That would actually explain a lot

K

over a year ago

"Am I the last to know that bras in black and darker colours tend to run smaller, due to the dyeing process? "

For real?

over a year ago

"To be honest I’m not even sure what your post means? Darker coloured bras run smaller?

If the bra is black or navy blue say, its likely to be a smaller size as opposed to a white or pink bra which will be a larger size due to the lighter coloured fabric requiring less dye.

I never knew this either. So in theory then the BBWs should mostly be in white / lighter bras on here then? Is that the case?

"

Or get a size larger

over a year ago

Crikey, I had no idea!

over a year ago

Or get a size larger"

Ah have I misunderstood then?

Does it mean that a 32c black bra will be smaller than a 32c white bra? I’m confused now…

I thought they meant that the range of sizes available for darker bras is more limited than the range of sizes available for lighter bras.

I’m just a simple country boy. I get confused very easily!!

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

It's the same with all dark dyed fabrics. Darker the dye, the less "give" in the fabric. Bra, denim or shirt, all would tend to run "small" in darker sizes.

By *eroLondonMan
over a year ago

Mayfair

I'm still trying to work out the law of physics in this.

over a year ago

"It's the same with all dark dyed fabrics. Darker the dye, the less "give" in the fabric. Bra, denim or shirt, all would tend to run "small" in darker sizes."

Thank you!!! You explained it better than me

over a year ago

I never knew this either!

By *iger4uWoman
over a year ago

In my happy place

Ive never noticed an issue?

over a year ago

"Ive never noticed an issue? "

I’m guessing the difference is very marginal. But then I don’t wear bras! *

(* very often)

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Try on a pair of black jeans and light stonewash jeans in the same size (any gender design/unisex). You'll feel the difference

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple
over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

well I've learned something new today and I thought you couldn't teach an old bitch new tricks??? hahaha

I've never ordered a different size depending on the colour before,

ever,

they all seem comfy and supportive

apart from the ones with wires which I avoid like the plague anyways coz they dig me in the arm pits every single time.

Guess I've been lucky then that the black and dark blue or dark purple etc actually fit me.

The one I fall out of most happens to be white, actually, but it's a vintage cross yer heart torpedo cups style jobby built more for style effect than comfort

I would love not to have to wear any but I can;t go bra-less, the effects would be

over a year ago

If the bra is black or navy blue say, its likely to be a smaller size as opposed to a white or pink bra which will be a larger size due to the lighter coloured fabric requiring less dye. "

Thanks for posting a clearer explanation

over a year ago

"

Why should they be? Bras come in cups up to M now. As well as wider bands.

over a year ago

" are you serious OP? That would actually explain a lot

K"

Yep! There was a style I tried on in a blue, green and black. The assistant mentioned the dye thing and lo and behold, I needed a wider band for the black.

Unsure why I never even realised this myself, without being told

over a year ago

"Crikey, I had no idea!"

I need that, "Girl, same" gif now

NoirPleasure. At your service sharing this info

over a year ago

"It's the same with all dark dyed fabrics. Darker the dye, the less "give" in the fabric. Bra, denim or shirt, all would tend to run "small" in darker sizes."

Another good explanation. Thank you. Now I'm remembering a pair of jeans I had in black and blue. Wondered why the black was tighter at the time

over a year ago

"I'm still trying to work out the law of physics in this. "

Me too. I was never great at physics though and not much has changed there. So have just accepted this fact and now feel armed with the knowledge

over a year ago

I hate to burst bubbles but it's only partially true. The only dyeing process that will cause this is vat dyeing. Vat dyes are only used for cotton or linen and the caustic used in the process will cause pre-shrinkage so you will see less "give" in the fabric. Therefore you'll only see the effect in cotton bras (and as you rightly say black jeans). The materials used typically to make bras will use different dyes and processes which don't cause preshrinkage.

I'm a former textile dyer and technologist with over 20 years in the industry and a degree in textile dyeing and finishing

By *ingly_minx1Woman
over a year ago

Lincoln

"I hate to burst bubbles but it's only partially true. The only dyeing process that will cause this is vat dyeing. Vat dyes are only used for cotton or linen and the caustic used in the process will cause pre-shrinkage so you will see less "give" in the fabric. Therefore you'll only see the effect in cotton bras (and as you rightly say black jeans). The materials used typically to make bras will use different dyes and processes which don't cause preshrinkage.

I'm a former textile dyer and technologist with over 20 years in the industry and a degree in textile dyeing and finishing "

I was thinking that this shrinkage would only be an issue if the garment is dyed after it is sewn. If the fabric is dyed and then the pieces cut for each size, the amount of material is equal in comparison but the amount of stretch/flex would be different.

over a year ago

Wouldnt suprise me tbh.

I have jeans all the same size which are different.

By *haggydogMan
over a year ago

Brooklands/London

The fabric is coloured prior to the construction. So bras by the same manufacturer are the size they are, regardless of the colour.

over a year ago

I cant say I've ever noticed a difference myself.

Sounds a bit like twaddle to me, an excuse for the fact that the sizings in the shop are crap!

over a year ago

I’ve particularly noticed a difference between brands and the type of bra, but not the colour

By *o new WinksMan
over a year ago

BSE

Surely, if they can make a pen that writes in space and food that can finish cooking in the microwave, they can work out the % shrinkage from dyeing and make them that much larger before dyeing?

Bumfuzzled

By *wingsnroundabouts82Couple
over a year ago

Fucksville

Holy shit balls batman I'm nearly 40 and learning this now???....

over a year ago

Why should they be? Bras come in cups up to M now. As well as wider bands."

I didn’t understand the original statement at first, I interpreted it as they only make bras in a smaller size range rather than that it ‘shrinks’ the material, hence my comment. I’ve now been re-educated!

over a year ago

"Surely, if they can make a pen that writes in space and food that can finish cooking in the microwave, they can work out the % shrinkage from dyeing and make them that much larger before dyeing?

Bumfuzzled "

Well I have to admit I thought this too! Surely they dye the raw materials FIRST, and THEN cut it to the correct size they want (after the shrinking process has been completed),

Not, as is implied, make it as a generic white bra and THEN dye it so it shrinks from its original size? That seems back to front!

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Agree with earlier comments about vat dyeing. Jeans DO come in slight variations because they are made then dyed, and dyeing process on thread count (causticity, agitation levels, rinse cycles) locks threads and "shrinks" jeans at first till worn.

Bras - you *could* do in same way but they have so many material mixes in one product very unlikely, and would fall apart if post construction vat dyed (unless denim bra!)

Another issue is country of origin for consumption. Each country historically produced against models based on female form in own country. A bra or dress made for an 'Italian' woman of 10/34b wouldnt necessarily fit 'English' woman of same index.

Of course could just be bras are badly made to make women go up a cup size rather than strap size for ego boost. USA shifted entire dress sizes for that reason

By *uke olovingmanMan
over a year ago

Gravesend

So a black 36 dd is actually a white 34 c?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Are all bras white and then dyed ?

Cos if the fabric is dyed first , then the bra could be made in the correct size .

Over to anyone ?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Surely, if they can make a pen that writes in space and food that can finish cooking in the microwave, they can work out the % shrinkage from dyeing and make them that much larger before dyeing?

Bumfuzzled

Well I have to admit I thought this too! Surely they dye the raw materials FIRST, and THEN cut it to the correct size they want (after the shrinking process has been completed),

Not, as is implied, make it as a generic white bra and THEN dye it so it shrinks from its original size? That seems back to front!

"

How great our minds Cheese Face.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

My black bras are the same size as my other coloured ones. They all fit

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Am I the last to know that bras in black and darker colours tend to run smaller, due to the dyeing process?

All these years of having boobs and wearing bras but I only just found this out yesterday! "

Where did you find this out ?

over a year ago

I discovered this with all types of garments but you would think they'd be more careful with bras. It's rather important.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

It can be true that darker dyes cause more shrinkage but the fabrics are dyed before the bras are made. It can make the elastics a bit firmer but the tension of the elastic when stitched to the bra tends to be electronically controlled these days.

over a year ago

Bumfuzzled "

You'd think so, wouldn't you

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Is that why wearing black makes you appear slimmer? Because it is a size smaller?

Hence the little black skirt really is little?

over a year ago

"Am I the last to know that bras in black and darker colours tend to run smaller, due to the dyeing process?

All these years of having boobs and wearing bras but I only just found this out yesterday! "

I didn’t know that, thanks. That will be why M&S don’t sell my size in anything darker than blue

over a year ago

Bumfuzzled

How great our minds Cheese Face."

FaF?

over a year ago

"I hate to burst bubbles but it's only partially true. The only dyeing process that will cause this is vat dyeing. Vat dyes are only used for cotton or linen and the caustic used in the process will cause pre-shrinkage so you will see less "give" in the fabric. Therefore you'll only see the effect in cotton bras (and as you rightly say black jeans). The materials used typically to make bras will use different dyes and processes which don't cause preshrinkage.

I'm a former textile dyer and technologist with over 20 years in the industry and a degree in textile dyeing and finishing "

Thanks for this further insight

I guess that the synthetic band part of bras and whether you fall at the top or bottom end of your band/which hooks you use also makes a difference to the fit?

over a year ago

All these years of having boobs and wearing bras but I only just found this out yesterday!

Where did you find this out ? "

Ann Summers . Unplanned trip, as just happened to be walking past on my way back from an appointment. One of my favourite bras "died". So I went in and tried on a style in three different colours and was told the info.

As others have said re varying sizes depending on the bra, style and brand - I do (of course) have these but my initial comment was based on trying on the exact same style in different colours.

By *emorefridaCouple
over a year ago

La la land

I have the same bra in 3 different colours. Black, damson and pale pink. I had to go a band size smaller in the pink as it was too big. The darkers ones where the same size.

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

From a recent scientific survey it has been found that blue bras fit better.

over a year ago

Sorry, this is nonsense. Clothing, including bras, is made after the material is dyed. What makes you think they are made and then dyed?

over a year ago

Sorry, this is nonsense. Clothing, including bras, is made after the material is dyed. What makes you think they are made and then dyed?"

Not necessarily true...some clothing is garment dyed...but not usually bras.

over a year ago

Do they dye the material after cutting it then?

Mr

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm a former textile dyer and technologist with over 20 years in the industry and a degree in textile dyeing and finishing

Thanks for this further insight

I guess that the synthetic band part of bras and whether you fall at the top or bottom end of your band/which hooks you use also makes a difference to the fit?"

The multiple hooks are to extend the life of your bra so you can tighten it as the elastic stretches out. If you're using the tightest hooks when you first buy it, it's too big.

over a year ago

Bravo

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Bumfuzzled

How great our minds Cheese Face.

FaF? "

Fishcake n Fries ? Gon on then

over a year ago

I would love to see the science behind this, as I suspect it’s measurable but negligible

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

That also explains why black jeans are always tighter... Who knew?!

Post new Message to Thread