Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Cyclists being told to ride in the middle of the road

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Or so the new Highway Code rules say. Lots don't bother riding on the road at all or in the cycle lanes where they've been put in. They ride on pavements making it a risky business for pedestrians, so will they risk their necks in the middle of the road now? I doubt it Plus how many pedestrians will rely on the new rule that says they have priority over vehicles at junctions they're wanting to cross? That's a death wish if ever there was one I reckon.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

They haven't been told to ride in the middle of the road.

Pedestrians haven't been told to cross the road in the way of oncoming traffic.

Neither has anything to do with riding on the pavement.

They have nothing to do with road tax or insurance or any of the other bullshit that will inevitably be mentioned shortly...

By *acMac69Man
over a year ago

Cleator

Alot of the rules were already there just the changes make the clearer. Biggest one is fault always Biggest vehicle until proving otherwise.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

https://m.fabswingers.com/forum/lounge/1259083

Read through this. Is covers it all.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

"They haven't been told to ride in the middle of the road.

They have nothing to do with road tax or insurance or any of the other bullshit that will inevitably be mentioned shortly..."

I suggest you look at the new Highway Code rules. They're quite clear. Also on the news last night the BBC had a graphic on there showing exactly what the rules say and the cyclist was shown as riding down the middle of the road. Also car stopping to let pedestrian across.

over a year ago

"They haven't been told to ride in the middle of the road.

They have nothing to do with road tax or insurance or any of the other bullshit that will inevitably be mentioned shortly...

I suggest you look at the new Highway Code rules. They're quite clear. Also on the news last night the BBC had a graphic on there showing exactly what the rules say and the cyclist was shown as riding down the middle of the road. Also car stopping to let pedestrian across. "

I suggest you read it again

over a year ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/24/common-myths-about-what-uk-highway-code-changes-will-mean

over a year ago

"Or so the new Highway Code rules say. Lots don't bother riding on the road at all or in the cycle lanes where they've been put in. They ride on pavements making it a risky business for pedestrians, so will they risk their necks in the middle of the road now? I doubt it Plus how many pedestrians will rely on the new rule that says they have priority over vehicles at junctions they're wanting to cross? That's a death wish if ever there was one I reckon. "

A pedestrian crossing a side road that a car is about to turn into had always had right of way. This isn't new - I copied and pasted the relevant rule in the thread linked above if you care to look.

Cyclists have been advised that c where it isn't safe for a car to pass them, rather than riding in the gutter and inviting idiot drivers ti squeeze past they should take and hold their lane so that any drivers wishing to overtake are made to wait until it is safe to do so.

It's funny isn't it that rule changes that have been brought about after years of consultation with user groups, driving experts and safety campaigners - people in short who know what they're talking about - suddenly have all the keyboard experts prophesying mass carnage

The new rules are there to make the roads safer for the most vulnerable users. They've been agreed by experts as the best way to to this. It's really quite simple. Do you have any useful views on how safety in mines can be improved? Nuclear power plants? Farming? Or is it just roads you're an expert on?

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

The new HC actually gives wheelchair users supreme rights above and beyond all, cos we're dead vulnerable and stuff. Yes, I expect the entire traffic line to stop and let me hop up the kerb. Ta

over a year ago

"The new HC actually gives wheelchair users supreme rights above and beyond all, cos we're dead vulnerable and stuff. Yes, I expect the entire traffic line to stop and let me hop up the kerb. Ta "

Are us cyclists allowed to challenge you to drag races off the lights?Yep, shock horror,some of us actually stop at a red light.

Mr

over a year ago

North West

"The new HC actually gives wheelchair users supreme rights above and beyond all, cos we're dead vulnerable and stuff. Yes, I expect the entire traffic line to stop and let me hop up the kerb. Ta

Are us cyclists allowed to challenge you to drag races off the lights?Yep, shock horror,some of us actually stop at a red light.

Mr"

Class I invalid carriages are allowed to ride on the pavement, so bollocks to the lights - I'll be sailing past you, middle finger aloft

over a year ago

"The new HC actually gives wheelchair users supreme rights above and beyond all, cos we're dead vulnerable and stuff. Yes, I expect the entire traffic line to stop and let me hop up the kerb. Ta

Mr

Class I invalid carriages are allowed to ride on the pavement, so bollocks to the lights - I'll be sailing past you, middle finger aloft "

I think Strava are missing a trick here.

Mr

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Will traffic become at a complete standstill due to giving way when turning left or right into a road? I am talking about those without traffic lights. Pedestrians won't be obliged to halt and wait. Will you take the risk and cross thinking a vehicle knows the new rules? This has not been thought through properly.

over a year ago

"Will traffic become at a complete standstill due to giving way when turning left or right into a road? I am talking about those without traffic lights. Pedestrians won't be obliged to halt and wait. Will you take the risk and cross thinking a vehicle knows the new rules? This has not been thought through properly. "

Was the alternative to drive over people crossing the road?

over a year ago

North West

Mr

Class I invalid carriages are allowed to ride on the pavement, so bollocks to the lights - I'll be sailing past you, middle finger aloft

Mr"

Strava has a wheelchair function

over a year ago

All of the new rules make no difference to where I live..

People always walk straight out in front of cars regardless.

Bikes go up the middle of the road on the white line.

Scooters flying in and out of people on the footpaths.

And not forgetting the Robots that deliver shopping or takeaways which are like shopping trolleys being rammed into your ankles.

Not much will change around here!

over a year ago

I hope cyclists use their brains and not fly up the left on hgvs/buses in their blind side cause the highway code says its ok

(Just my view before anyone goes mental)

over a year ago

Mr

Mr

Strava has a wheelchair function "

do you get segments?

over a year ago

"Will traffic become at a complete standstill due to giving way when turning left or right into a road? I am talking about those without traffic lights. Pedestrians won't be obliged to halt and wait. Will you take the risk and cross thinking a vehicle knows the new rules? This has not been thought through properly. "

Years of review, consultation with user groups, public invited to submit their views, input from RoSPA and IAM all wrong - the keyboard expert has spoken ...

Mr

over a year ago

North West

Mr

Mr

Strava has a wheelchair function do you get segments?"

I get pace, splits, elevation gain for each km/mile yes. I don't subscribe so I get el básico features but I think it's the same content for the wheelchair exercise compared to a run (as in, same range of measurements given).

By *atriciayoiditTV/TS
over a year ago

hatfield

"Or so the new Highway Code rules say. Lots don't bother riding on the road at all or in the cycle lanes where they've been put in. They ride on pavements making it a risky business for pedestrians, so will they risk their necks in the middle of the road now? I doubt it Plus how many pedestrians will rely on the new rule that says they have priority over vehicles at junctions they're wanting to cross? That's a death wish if ever there was one I reckon. "
as long as it creates accidents..qui bono...who profits.???..i wonder who...???...mmmm...legal aid anyone..???

over a year ago

Mr

Mr

Strava has a wheelchair function do you get segments?

I get pace, splits, elevation gain for each km/mile yes. I don't subscribe so I get el básico features but I think it's the same content for the wheelchair exercise compared to a run (as in, same range of measurements given)."

Ah I forgot that they put the segments behind a pay wall - sneaky bastards, it's the one thing that a non serious user would consider paying for and both her ladyship and I now pay subs. It's always a boost to see you've had a PR over some random bit of road mid run

I had noticed the handcycle in there but not wheelchair till I just went and looked.

Mr

over a year ago

"Or so the new Highway Code rules say. Lots don't bother riding on the road at all or in the cycle lanes where they've been put in. They ride on pavements making it a risky business for pedestrians, so will they risk their necks in the middle of the road now? I doubt it Plus how many pedestrians will rely on the new rule that says they have priority over vehicles at junctions they're wanting to cross? That's a death wish if ever there was one I reckon. as long as it creates accidents..qui bono...who profits.???..i wonder who...???...mmmm...legal aid anyone..???"

Seriously? You genuinely believe they've altered the highway code in order to create more accidents so that legal aid lawyers get more money? Never mind the fact that legal aid has been slashed to the bone so such a plan would go against everything this government has done, so you honestly think a group of people got together and discussed how they could increase the rate of road accidents?

Mr

Post new Message to Thread