Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Exercise and mental health

Jump to newest

By *ungle VIP 1 OP   Man
over a year ago

colchester

Morning all hope everyone is well, im looking to stary exercising at home to improve my mental health confidence and like the person i see in the mirror. Find myself ugly and want to look and feel good. As a beginner i find to start and stick to it would appreciate any advice. X

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Couch to 5k are pretty good for start points.

over a year ago

The most important thing is that whatever you do, you enjoy it, then it’s easier to keep it going.

YouTube has loads of workouts, from hiit to yoga.

Resistance bands are useful too.

Good for you!

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I walk quite a lot, that's surprisingly enjoyable as long as you vary your route. If you can get a static bike that's good too. Add in something for your upper body and you've got it covered

over a year ago

Walking is great for mental health

By *ungle VIP 1 OP   Man
over a year ago

colchester

All good and helpful info, 2022 is year to turn things around and become more positive and to get a body im happy with and others want. Thanks again ????

By *entative_steps7781Couple
over a year ago

Home

I started seeing a PT while my mental health was bad, and working with her was amazing, learnt loads and now, as I can't afford to see her anymore, am able to go to the gym confidently on my own - still anxious at times, but I know going and focusing on lifting heavy shit helps!

MJ x

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I always make a point of taking a 20 minute of so walk in my lunch. It's only a small thing but, really does help.

over a year ago

What Hippy said, find something that you enjoy. You'll have a dozen people telling you that their way is the best but the reality is, if you don't enjoy it you won't stick to it.

Don't get disheartened at a slow pace of change, the changes will happen but will take months to notice.

Mr

By *ltra72Man
over a year ago

edinburgh

I bought a rowing machine a couple of weeks ago, I feel so much better for it. Good luck with your goal

over a year ago

I’ve swum 4 days a week for as long as I can remember and a lot of it is for meditation and escapism as much as Exercise.

over a year ago

Weight/resistance training has helped me massively. I wouldn’t say I had mental health issues but I feel a lot better about myself since I started.

over a year ago

It you’re new to it, my advice is beware the boredom that will kick in once the novelty wears off, and find some goal to aim for. To slip into boring management speak, make the goal SMART:

Specific - E.g. run and do yoga, not do some exercise

Measurable - do a park run in 30 minutes, not do some running.

Assignable - easy, who’s gonna do it, I.e. you

Realistic - don’t go thinking you’ll smash a sub 4 hour marathon in May

Time-Bound - set deadlines and milestones, before your birthday, within 60 days etc

Whatever your choice of activity, knowing what you’re doing, why, and how you’re getting on is motivational to most.

By *pen2UMan
over a year ago

Telford

Been readibg through these comments and they've also helped me a lot too! I'm in the same boat as the OP and find it hard to get into exercising.

If only there was a time machine to go back in time and tell myself NOT to be so harsh on myself whilst down (eating loads due to constant upsets)

By *ungle VIP 1 OP   Man
over a year ago

colchester

Its nice to hear im not alone in feeling like this and there is a brighter day ahead. Sum light weights and little run around bloke tonight i feel ??

over a year ago

Lots of great advice for you OP. A couple of things which help me:

Have a plan of what you want to achieve. Always more effective to have a goal in mind before you start and wite it down. Make sure it's realistic otherwise it can be disheartening. 1, 3 month, 6month and 12months are good milestones.

Visualisation is another really effective tool to help you achieve your training goals and keep you motivated. Whenever training becomes tough, monotonous always visualise what you are trying to achieve.

Training with a group or one or two people can also help..keep each other motivated.

By *arker secrets 321Man
over a year ago

West Bromwich

U don't need any exipment 2 get u started my friend ..use things u av at home ...use ur bed 2 do sit ups .chair 2 do leg crunches any space we're u can do press up ..maybe incorporate a walk into ur routine ..I use 2 do this b4 I ad my multi gym. 1 little thing that I do b4 I train is change into my tracksuit puts me in that I'm goin 2 train mode ... I wish u all the best in ur journey x

over a year ago

I find watching Pamela Reif workout vids on YouTube quite stimulating.

over a year ago

Finally taking up an exercise routine has changed me beyond recognition. I neglected myself almost to the point of no return.

I was morbidly obese, sedentary, and miserable. Not to mention skint from all the comfort eating.

Fast forward a couple of years and I’m a huge chunk lighter, fitter and stronger. I have the beginnings of a body shape that I like the look of.

I feel amazing.

Good luck OP.

over a year ago

"Finally taking up an exercise routine has changed me beyond recognition. I neglected myself almost to the point of no return.

I was morbidly obese, sedentary, and miserable. Not to mention skint from all the comfort eating.

Fast forward a couple of years and I’m a huge chunk lighter, fitter and stronger. I have the beginnings of a body shape that I like the look of.

I feel amazing.

Good luck OP."

Great to hear positive experiences like this. Well done!

over a year ago

Sorry to read about you feeling so low at the moment.

Start off lightly, put a good playlist of songs together and make sure you have water near by.

Set a time goal of how much you want to do and take breaks in between.

Excecise will be so good for your mental health. Also try listening to mindfulness relaxing exercises.

Also, yoga is really good for the mind and body.

I wish you all the best and hope you start feeling good about yourself very soon.

Post new Message to Thread