Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

More road rage ?

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I am not sure if it's in the new highway code but some are saying that it will give more power to horses and cyclists. I wonder if there will be more road rage as a result of all this

(closed, thread got too big)

Reply privately

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Possibly

Then again people are getting less and less patient in general which I think is a big causal factor

Reply privately

By *am101aMan
over a year ago

swad

They should make cyclists use cycle lanes/paths if there is one (surely that is what they are there for)? No-one around here seems to use them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"They should make cyclists use cycle lanes/paths if there is one (surely that is what they are there for)? No-one around here seems to use them."

While I do agree with cycle paths being used as millions have been spent on making them, they do need maintaining by sweeping, ours round here you get puncture after puncture on them from glass and stones plus the debris left from cutting the very thorny hedge along side it.

Reply privately

By *aomilatteCouple
over a year ago

Midlands

Ronnie Pickering will be fuming

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Possibly

Then again people are getting less and less patient in general which I think is a big causal factor "

Hear, hear!

Reply privately

By *ammykingMan
over a year ago

Lisburn

It tells cyclists that they should now rode in the middle of the road.

I'm pretty sure, some of them have been doing that for years anyway

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Ronnie Pickering will be fuming "
do you know who I am!!!!!!!!!! Hahahah

Reply privately

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Road Rage - Catatonia

Reply privately

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

The new rule about traffic turning left or right and having give way to pedestrians is madness. A vehicle will start the turn and pedestrian step out. Said vehicle will stop suddenly. You can probably guess the rest. Also in towns and cities, traffic will grind to a halt as they sit behind left or right turning traffic waiting for a stream of pedestrians crossing.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Probably! There is enough allready aimed at cyclists when we are now advised to cycle further out in the road instead of the edge will end up squashed! X

Reply privately

By *appy nakedMan
over a year ago

Merseyside

The rule changes look like a result of people not following the previous rules, people walking out into the road without looking had become more common.

It was always the case that if someone was already crossing then the car had to wait, so I don’t think it will make any difference as people disregard the rules that don’t suit them at the time.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Experiencing the roads during school runs is enough

Reply privately

By *uitednbooted2Man
over a year ago

Berkshire

I always thought you had to give way to more vulnerable road users like pedestrians, horses and cyclists?

Reply privately

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Mamils will be jipping themselves.

Reply privately

over a year ago

The rule about giving way to folk at junctions is gunna cause issues. Yes ‘follow the speed limits/etc’ and ya be fine… but still live in reality.

Also in cities where its busy, wagons/buses are gunna have to halt halfway, while folk cross/etc

Gunna cause issues/tension/stress

More so if you get filmed not giving away and they send it into the police.

Reply privately

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

What powers will horses and cyclists get? Laser vision, flight (seems redundant), telekinesis Kyle?

And for the people talking about pedestrians, I don't think anyone's going to start walking into oncoming traffic all of a sudden

LvM

Reply privately

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

"They should make cyclists use cycle lanes/paths if there is one (surely that is what they are there for)? No-one around here seems to use them."

They should make them fit for purpose then.

Reply privately

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

"I am not sure if it's in the new highway code but some are saying that it will give more power to horses and cyclists. I wonder if there will be more road rage as a result of all this "

No, there will be more dead cyclists.

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"The new rule about traffic turning left or right and having give way to pedestrians is madness. A vehicle will start the turn and pedestrian step out. Said vehicle will stop suddenly. You can probably guess the rest. Also in towns and cities, traffic will grind to a halt as they sit behind left or right turning traffic waiting for a stream of pedestrians crossing. "

I disagree.

The highway code has ALWAYS given the right of way to pedestrians who are already in the road.

Drivers are supposed to look INTO a road BEFORE turning.

Quite a few motorists don't do this ......

It will always be their fault if they injure a pedestrian

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"I always thought you had to give way to more vulnerable road users like pedestrians, horses and cyclists? "

Precisely! So that's TWO people who read the existing highway code.

Reply privately

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

"I always thought you had to give way to more vulnerable road users like pedestrians, horses and cyclists?

Precisely! So that's TWO people who read the existing highway code."

Indeed. It's a little disturbing the amount of people who don't know the current rules of the road.

Some seem to think that pedestrians will step out without consideration for their own safety.

David Prowse must be turning in his grave!

Reply privately

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Cambridge and Amsterdam have managed okay for years , never seen road rage there, maybe the angry drivers all need re-testing in how to be aware of all road users

Reply privately

By *itty9899Man
over a year ago

Craggy Island

When cyclist don't jump past red lights and pay road tax and don't ride in between cars, I'll give them a little more respect.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The new rule about traffic turning left or right and having give way to pedestrians is madness. A vehicle will start the turn and pedestrian step out. Said vehicle will stop suddenly. You can probably guess the rest. Also in towns and cities, traffic will grind to a halt as they sit behind left or right turning traffic waiting for a stream of pedestrians crossing.

I disagree.

The highway code has ALWAYS given the right of way to pedestrians who are already in the road.

Drivers are supposed to look INTO a road BEFORE turning.

Quite a few motorists don't do this ......

It will always be their fault if they injure a pedestrian "

Thank you. One of the first sensible comments on this thread.

Mr

Reply privately

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

"When cyclist don't jump past red lights and pay road tax and don't ride in between cars, I'll give them a little more respect."

You do know road tax goes into general taxation and most local roads, where you find cyclists, are maintained by the local authorities, funded from council tax ... which you may find most adult cyclists pay

You know this don't you?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"When cyclist don't jump past red lights and pay road tax and don't ride in between cars, I'll give them a little more respect."

No one pays road tax. This argument is only ever trotted or by people without any capability for intelligent thought.

Roads are paid for and maintained out of a range of taxation sources but not VED which is a tax on emissions.

Most cyclists also own vehicles and pay VED

Cyclists are allowed by law to use the roads, paying VED doesn't give you any more rights than not paying it. Believing that paying a nominal fee gives you the right to abuse other humans is something only a cunt would do. Do you really believe this?

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I always thought you had to give way to more vulnerable road users like pedestrians, horses and cyclists?

Indeed. It's a little disturbing the amount of people who don't know the current rules of the road.

Some seem to think that pedestrians will step out without consideration for their own safety.

David Prowse must be turning in his grave!"

Aww what a dude

Reply privately

over a year ago

Agree about red lights!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Probably! There is enough allready aimed at cyclists when we are now advised to cycle further out in the road instead of the edge will end up squashed! X"

Rubbish. It's how motorcyclist are taught to ride and it's the safest way. Though there are a lot of utter cunts on the roads, very very few will deliberately run a cyclist over. However lots don't give a shit about forcing one off the road, cutting one up or 'accidentally' clipping one. Riding in the verge encourages idiot drivers to squeeze past where it isn't safe and this is where cyclists are most vulnerable. Taking command of your lane and holding your line forces drivers to treat you the same as any other vehicle on the road. I always take the centre of my lane on a roundabout as it is far safer than sitting in the gutter waiting to be dragged down the road (as I was when 1o years old) by some twat too impatient to wait 10 seconds thinking there's just enough room to squeeze past.

Her ladyship and I have exactly the same issue out running on local lanes. Drivers that would think nothing of having to stop and reverse to a passing bay to allow an oncoming car to pass seem incapable of merely slowing for a runner - her ladyship was hit by a wing mirror the other day. I have a different tactic, I stay in the centre of the road so they have no choice but to slow, then when they're traveling at a safe speed I move over. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who see nothing strange in the fact that they haven't got time to slow for the sake of a vulnerable persons safety but have got the time to stop their vehicle and hurl abuse at that person. The world is full of cunts.

As you can maybe see from my language on this thread, this is a subject I feel very strongly about. As above, I've been dragged down the road by a lorry, I have smashed front teeth from another driver who pulled straight out of a side road (a few seconds later I'd have been killed by the lorry going the other way). Pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists are vulnerable. Yes, they can be bad road users, yes they can break rules. None of those things carry a death sentence though which is sadly the fate of hundreds of cyclists.

Mr

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Here we go!!! x

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Probably! There is enough allready aimed at cyclists when we are now advised to cycle further out in the road instead of the edge will end up squashed! X

Rubbish. It's how motorcyclist are taught to ride and it's the safest way. Though there are a lot of utter cunts on the roads, very very few will deliberately run a cyclist over. However lots don't give a shit about forcing one off the road, cutting one up or 'accidentally' clipping one. Riding in the verge encourages idiot drivers to squeeze past where it isn't safe and this is where cyclists are most vulnerable. Taking command of your lane and holding your line forces drivers to treat you the same as any other vehicle on the road. I always take the centre of my lane on a roundabout as it is far safer than sitting in the gutter waiting to be dragged down the road (as I was when 1o years old) by some twat too impatient to wait 10 seconds thinking there's just enough room to squeeze past.

Her ladyship and I have exactly the same issue out running on local lanes. Drivers that would think nothing of having to stop and reverse to a passing bay to allow an oncoming car to pass seem incapable of merely slowing for a runner - her ladyship was hit by a wing mirror the other day. I have a different tactic, I stay in the centre of the road so they have no choice but to slow, then when they're traveling at a safe speed I move over. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who see nothing strange in the fact that they haven't got time to slow for the sake of a vulnerable persons safety but have got the time to stop their vehicle and hurl abuse at that person. The world is full of cunts.

As you can maybe see from my language on this thread, this is a subject I feel very strongly about. As above, I've been dragged down the road by a lorry, I have smashed front teeth from another driver who pulled straight out of a side road (a few seconds later I'd have been killed by the lorry going the other way). Pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists are vulnerable. Yes, they can be bad road users, yes they can break rules. None of those things carry a death sentence though which is sadly the fate of hundreds of cyclists.

Mr"

U really dont need to tell any of this to me! cycling everyday to and from work! Nearly got knocked of my cycle only last monday! I for one wont be taking my life in my own hands and cycling further over! I shall be staying near the kerb as usual! Not quite ready to die yet! X

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Probably! There is enough allready aimed at cyclists when we are now advised to cycle further out in the road instead of the edge will end up squashed! X

Mr

U really dont need to tell any of this to me! cycling everyday to and from work! Nearly got knocked of my cycle only last monday! I for one wont be taking my life in my own hands and cycling further over! I shall be staying near the kerb as usual! Not quite ready to die yet! X "

What is going on here guys.. ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I am not sure if it's in the new highway code but some are saying that it will give more power to horses and cyclists. I wonder if there will be more road rage as a result of all this "

What power did horses have in the first place?

Yes horses generally have right of way BUT they still have to follow the rules of the road and do so more than a cyclist does. In the past the width you only had to give horses 1.5m but clearly motorists can judge that by the number of horse who have been hit/maimed/killed whilst out with their rider, thus is being increased to 2m the same distance as you need to give a cyclist. Also you have to slow down to 5mph from the 10mph it used to be.

In the New Forrest commoners ponies who live in the Forrest are being killed by idiots driving at 60+mph on a 40mph road at night! A 4 yr o pony that belonged to a friend was killed in this way on 7th August 2021, he had smashed teeth, 2 broken legs & internal injuries yet did not die on impact, he died about 3 minutes after. And it’s not just ponies that are dying, it’s also cows, and wild animals, yet most eejits doing the hitting are failing to stop, if the animals they ploughed into didn’t end up through their wind screen.

So yes, god dammit, give horses more “power”

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Are these horse owners required by law to pick up the horseshit.. ?

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

"Are these horse owners required by law to pick up the horseshit.. ?

"

No. Its vegetation and good for your roses.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

No. Its vegetation and good for your roses. "

Some of my local people avoid this

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mr

U really dont need to tell any of this to me! cycling everyday to and from work! Nearly got knocked of my cycle only last monday! I for one wont be taking my life in my own hands and cycling further over! I shall be staying near the kerb as usual! Not quite ready to die yet! X "

I'm sorry, I thought from your comment about more squashed cyclists you weren't one yourself.

You genuinely are safer doing what the new highway code says, it takes a bit of getting your head around and you have to be balsy enough to ignore the irate drivers but it's is far far safer. There really are very very few people who will deliberately ram you off the road but there are massive percentage of drivers who don't have a clue how much room they take up nor any ability to calculate the relative speeds of themselves, several other cars and a cyclist so they just wing it and hope for the best. Sticking close into the side of the road is an open invitation for vehicle drivers to try and squeeze past but if you're sat bang on the middle of the lane they can't, they have to wait till oncoming traffic is clear and carry out an overtake just like they would with any other slow moving vehicle.

Stay safe out there.

Mr

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Mr

U really dont need to tell any of this to me! cycling everyday to and from work! Nearly got knocked of my cycle only last monday! I for one wont be taking my life in my own hands and cycling further over! I shall be staying near the kerb as usual! Not quite ready to die yet! X

I'm sorry, I thought from your comment about more squashed cyclists you weren't one yourself.

You genuinely are safer doing what the new highway code says, it takes a bit of getting your head around and you have to be balsy enough to ignore the irate drivers but it's is far far safer. There really are very very few people who will deliberately ram you off the road but there are massive percentage of drivers who don't have a clue how much room they take up nor any ability to calculate the relative speeds of themselves, several other cars and a cyclist so they just wing it and hope for the best. Sticking close into the side of the road is an open invitation for vehicle drivers to try and squeeze past but if you're sat bang on the middle of the lane they can't, they have to wait till oncoming traffic is clear and carry out an overtake just like they would with any other slow moving vehicle.

Stay safe out there.

Mr

"

Oh my...

Reply privately

over a year ago

evesham

No. Its vegetation and good for your roses.

Some of my local people avoid this "

Growing roses?

Reply privately

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

. Oh come on Tom! Yeah they get their spade and bucket they’re carrying whilst riding the horse, get off and say good boy stay there whilst they pick it up.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Mr

Stay safe out there.

Mr

"

I wouldnt feel brave enough to do that it's enough to when I need to turn right and they have to wait! I really wouldnt b able to do this! X

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I wouldnt feel brave enough to do that it's enough to when I need to turn right and they have to wait! I really wouldnt b able to do this! X"

Obviously I don't ride like this everywhere, if there is room on my side of the road for a car to pass safely I make very sure I keep over and give it to them. When a road is too narrow for an oncoming vehicle and the one behind to overtake me all together then I move out. I've had too many times on roads around here with a 60 limit that drivers have flashed past with literally inches to spare. Blind bends, width restrictions, narrow roads, roundabouts, basically anywhere a driver may be tempted to squeeze past but to do so would mean leaving an inadequate gap I deliberately take control of the space so they can't.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

If it was you’d see the police out with their massive poo bags

Reply privately

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

"The new rule about traffic turning left or right and having give way to pedestrians is madness. A vehicle will start the turn and pedestrian step out. Said vehicle will stop suddenly. You can probably guess the rest. Also in towns and cities, traffic will grind to a halt as they sit behind left or right turning traffic waiting for a stream of pedestrians crossing. "

Pedestrians have always had priority in that situation.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

I wouldnt feel brave enough to do that it's enough to when I need to turn right and they have to wait! I really wouldnt b able to do this! X

Obviously I don't ride like this everywhere, if there is room on my side of the road for a car to pass safely I make very sure I keep over and give it to them. When a road is too narrow for an oncoming vehicle and the one behind to overtake me all together then I move out. I've had too many times on roads around here with a 60 limit that drivers have flashed past with literally inches to spare. Blind bends, width restrictions, narrow roads, roundabouts, basically anywhere a driver may be tempted to squeeze past but to do so would mean leaving an inadequate gap I deliberately take control of the space so they can't.

Mr"

If there's a cyclist on the opposite side of the road (coming towards me) and it looks like a car is going to try and overtake them when there's really not enough room, I move closer to the centre of the road so the other car definitely can't pass them.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"The new rule about traffic turning left or right and having give way to pedestrians is madness. A vehicle will start the turn and pedestrian step out. Said vehicle will stop suddenly. You can probably guess the rest. Also in towns and cities, traffic will grind to a halt as they sit behind left or right turning traffic waiting for a stream of pedestrians crossing.

Pedestrians have always had priority in that situation."

No they haven’t, the only time a pedestrian had right of way was when. Car driver was exiting or entering a drive/car park that went across the pavement, if a pedestrian was nearby the driver has to give way to the pedestrian but not on a turn into a side road there where are no crossing lights - think you need to read that section before it changes

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Mr

If there's a cyclist on the opposite side of the road (coming towards me) and it looks like a car is going to try and overtake them when there's really not enough room, I move closer to the centre of the road so the other car definitely can't pass them.

"

It’s not your concern to do that, and that’s possibly putting yourself & others in harms way

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Mr

It’s not your concern to do that, and that’s possibly putting yourself & others in harms way "

I don't care.

Reply privately

By *lynJMan
over a year ago

Morden

No they haven’t, the only time a pedestrian had right of way was when. Car driver was exiting or entering a drive/car park that went across the pavement, if a pedestrian was nearby the driver has to give way to the pedestrian but not on a turn into a side road there where are no crossing lights - think you need to read that section before it changes "

Thanks but I did more years ago than you probably remember.

Reply privately

over a year ago

No they haven’t, the only time a pedestrian had right of way was when. Car driver was exiting or entering a drive/car park that went across the pavement, if a pedestrian was nearby the driver has to give way to the pedestrian but not on a turn into a side road there where are no crossing lights - think you need to read that section before it changes "

This bit?

Turning into a junction

Ever seen a driver turning into a junction and beep at a pedestrian crossing the road? The Highway Code states that If someone has started crossing the road and you want to turn into the road, then the pedestrian has priority, so you should slow down and give way until they’ve crossed.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

. Oh come on Tom! Yeah they get their spade and bucket they’re carrying whilst riding the horse, get off and say good boy stay there whilst they pick it up. "

Isn't that the law tho ?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

. Oh come on Tom! Yeah they get their spade and bucket they’re carrying whilst riding the horse, get off and say good boy stay there whilst they pick it up. "

So they are not in control of their animals...

Reply privately

over a year ago

No they haven’t, the only time a pedestrian had right of way was when. Car driver was exiting or entering a drive/car park that went across the pavement, if a pedestrian was nearby the driver has to give way to the pedestrian but not on a turn into a side road there where are no crossing lights - think you need to read that section before it changes

Thanks but I did more years ago than you probably remember. "

It’s probably changed 15 times since you read it originally

Reply privately

over a year ago

"

Mr

"

Thank you.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

. Oh come on Tom! Yeah they get their spade and bucket they’re carrying whilst riding the horse, get off and say good boy stay there whilst they pick it up.

Isn't that the law tho ?"

No. That's dogs

Horse shit = friendly. Unless you get a face full of it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Isn't that the law tho ?"

No

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Isn't that the law tho ?

No"

I am sure there is an ancient law compelling horseriders to pick up horseshit.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Isn't that the law tho ?

No

I am sure there is an ancient law compelling horseriders to pick up horseshit.

"

There probably was before they invented the automobile.

Reply privately

over a year ago

You're wrong. Text below is a direct copy and paste. Last paragraph is perfectly clear.

Drive carefully and slowly when

in crowded shopping streets, Home Zones and Quiet Lanes (see Rule 218) or residential areas

driving past bus and tram stops; pedestrians may emerge suddenly into the road

passing parked vehicles, especially ice cream vans; children are more interested in ice cream than traffic and may run into the road unexpectedly

needing to cross a pavement or cycle track; for example, to reach or leave a driveway. Give way to pedestrians and cyclists on the pavement

reversing into a side road;look all around the vehicle and give way to any pedestrians who may be crossing the road

turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

Mr

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

Horse manure is highly unlikely to cause disease (even e-coli). Dog poop contains both diseases and parasites.

We pick up dog poo because it’s harmful, we don’t pick up horse manure (though it is usually polite to kick it to the edge of a lane) because it isn’t.

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

I guess you don't like stopping at zebra crossings for pedestrians when they step out either as it's essentially the same.

If you see a pedestrian walking towards a turning it's pretty obvious they might be crossing so by being observent there shouldn't be any need for a sudden stop, but a controlled braking.

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

You're wrong. Text below is a direct copy and paste. Last paragraph is perfectly clear.

Drive carefully and slowly when

in crowded shopping streets, Home Zones and Quiet Lanes (see Rule 218) or residential areas

driving past bus and tram stops; pedestrians may emerge suddenly into the road

passing parked vehicles, especially ice cream vans; children are more interested in ice cream than traffic and may run into the road unexpectedly

needing to cross a pavement or cycle track; for example, to reach or leave a driveway. Give way to pedestrians and cyclists on the pavement

reversing into a side road;look all around the vehicle and give way to any pedestrians who may be crossing the road

turning at road junctions; give way to pedestrians who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

Mr"

Interesting that someone who doesn't know the highway code is complaining about new things being written into the highway code

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Horse manure is highly unlikely to cause disease (even e-coli). Dog poop contains both diseases and parasites.

We pick up dog poo because it’s harmful, we don’t pick up horse manure (though it is usually polite to kick it to the edge of a lane) because it isn’t. "

It should be comulsary

Reply privately

over a year ago

Yep - only time a car has ever had right of way is on a motorway.

That's always been the case.

Just because people drive like they own the road doesn't make it so.

Reply privately

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Too much aggression, ignorance and plain wrong thinking in this thread..

Heaven forbid that some of it transferred to behind the wheel..

A to B, that's what it is..

Get there safely but please ensure that applies to others outside of the box, the very heavy thing your in..

Reply privately

By *eerobCouple
over a year ago

solihull

"It tells cyclists that they should now rode in the middle of the road.

I'm pretty sure, some of them have been doing that for years anyway "

I think that only applies to when they are waiting at traffic lights. As they usually squeeze through and go through lights on red i dont think it will every be used

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

This will end badly folks

Mark my words

Reply privately

over a year ago

I think that only applies to when they are waiting at traffic lights. As they usually squeeze through and go through lights on red i dont think it will every be used"

It applies any time a cyclist feels it's safest in order to prevent inconsiderate aresholes from overtaking dangerously.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"The rule about giving way to folk at junctions is gunna cause issues. Yes ‘follow the speed limits/etc’ and ya be fine… but still live in reality.

"

There is an EU law trying to be passed, cars won't be able to speed as there will be limiters fitted to them.

I am sure this lot in power, will consider it.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Cyclists don't need to pay vehicle excise duty, as they don't have any emissions. On that note, neither do electric cars.

I do believe that everyone who pays council tax, pays for the upkeep of the roads.

As for cars jumping red light

https://youtu.be/mLf8LWoYM78

Reply privately

By *ayHaychMan
over a year ago

Leeds (Home) / Sheffield (Work)

Since covid restrictions started to ease in mid 2021, I saw lots of road rage and people driving like idiots. I think it was due to people not having driven for a while, or those who had been driving a lot had gotten used to empty roads.

I think mental health is a factor too. So many people struggling at the moment, hanging in by a thread and traffic situations can be a trigger. So many times see people shouting in the car, presumably down the phone.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"

No, they leave it for the local gardeners. It is good fertiliser after all, big bonus is that it is free

Reply privately

over a year ago

I guess you don't like stopping at zebra crossings for pedestrians when they step out either as it's essentially the same.

If you see a pedestrian walking towards a turning it's pretty obvious they might be crossing so by being observent there shouldn't be any need for a sudden stop, but a controlled braking."

I have to disagree with you on this one. With a zebra crossing, there are visible signs preceding it and high-level Belisha beacons, giving ample warning that the vehicle in front may be braking to a dead stop. Many A roads in the UK are single tracked carriageways with speed limits of up to 60mph and also have left turn T-junctions onto B roads. A vehicle coming to a dead stop on an A road to allow a pedestrian to cross could potentially be a serious hazard.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I personally love the new rule H2:

Cyclists are reminded that _they_ have to give priority to _pedestrians_ on a shared cycle path and that they are reminded that they are not allowed to cycle on the pavement. Only pedestrians can use the pavement.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Rule 72 seems sensible: cyclists can ride in the centre of the road if it so quiet so cars can see them but then they have to pull over to let the car past as soon as possible.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I also like the fact that rule 59 tells cyclists that they should wear clothes that allow them to be seen. Any cyclist who wears black needs to think long and hard about why they are ignoring this rule IMHO.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"I also like the fact that rule 59 tells cyclists that they should wear clothes that allow them to be seen. Any cyclist who wears black needs to think long and hard about why they are ignoring this rule IMHO."

I will field this one. There are so many clones, that like to follow the professional teams like Ineos.

Reply privately

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"What powers will horses and cyclists get? Laser vision, flight (seems redundant), telekinesis Kyle?

And for the people talking about pedestrians, I don't think anyone's going to start walking into oncoming traffic all of a sudden

LvM"

Thank you

https://g.co/kgs/ZerBZe

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"I personally love the new rule H2:

Cyclists are reminded that _they_ have to give priority to _pedestrians_ on a shared cycle path and that they are reminded that they are not allowed to cycle on the pavement. Only pedestrians can use the pavement."

Where do wheelchair users go?!

Reply privately

By *omethingDifferent4FunWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh-ish

"I also like the fact that rule 59 tells cyclists that they should wear clothes that allow them to be seen. Any cyclist who wears black needs to think long and hard about why they are ignoring this rule IMHO."

YES! I get so frustrated seeing cyclists head to toe in black and/or with no lights. Yes drivers are responsible for paying attention to what's on the road but give yourself, and them, the best possible chance and maximum reaction time to adjust by being as visible as possible.

I drive, I also cycle (commuting in town and occasionally for fitness on country roads) and I also horse ride. As a driver I *want* to see vulnerable road users as soon and as far ahead as possible so I can slow/pass appropriately.

As a cyclist/horse rider I want others to see me and do the same to pass safely.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"I also like the fact that rule 59 tells cyclists that they should wear clothes that allow them to be seen. Any cyclist who wears black needs to think long and hard about why they are ignoring this rule IMHO.

I will field this one. There are so many clones, that like to follow the professional teams like Ineos. "

I don’t think rule 59 cares about clones and fantasies does it?

Reply privately

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

If you see a pedestrian walking towards a turning it's pretty obvious they might be crossing so by being observent there shouldn't be any need for a sudden stop, but a controlled braking.

I have to disagree with you on this one. With a zebra crossing, there are visible signs preceding it and high-level Belisha beacons, giving ample warning that the vehicle in front may be braking to a dead stop. Many A roads in the UK are single tracked carriageways with speed limits of up to 60mph and also have left turn T-junctions onto B roads. A vehicle coming to a dead stop on an A road to allow a pedestrian to cross could potentially be a serious hazard."

How fast would you take that turing if you were heading down it? Surely there isn't much difference between slowing to a safe turning speed and slowing enough to let the pedestrian cross.

Or what if there was a crash on the road or an animal?

Any car coming down the road should be going at a safe speed (which isn't always up to the speed limit, that is just a maximum), so that they can slow safely for any obstacles up ahead. If they can't slow in time then they are breaking the rules and driving dangerously.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Cyclists are reminded that _they_ have to give priority to _pedestrians_ on a shared cycle path and that they are reminded that they are not allowed to cycle on the pavement. Only pedestrians can use the pavement.

Where do wheelchair users go?! "

Pedestrians and wheelchair users are counted as the same. Basically I think it means the pavement is for them. Cyclists (and I guess electric scooters) can’t ride on the pavement.

Reply privately

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman
over a year ago

lancashire

Precisely! So that's TWO people who read the existing highway code."

As a Horse rider over the years I have been put in some dangerous positions from car drivers that have lacked in the knowledge to give way to Horses...some real scary near misses too, one guy drove that close to my Horse that my foot touched his side mirror, he the showed me the F*ck you sign with his fingers..he had kids in the car with him too *So car drivers..if you drive near a Horse please overtake slowly giving plenty of space..and if you see the Horse is in difficulty please stop*

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

As a Horse rider over the years I have been put in some dangerous positions from car drivers that have lacked in the knowledge to give way to Horses...some real scary near misses too, one guy drove that close to my Horse that my foot touched his side mirror, he the showed me the F*ck you sign with his fingers..he had kids in the car with him too *So car drivers..if you drive near a Horse please overtake slowly giving plenty of space..and if you see the Horse is in difficulty please stop*"

In my experience the people who tend to live in the countryside will give a horse a wide berth. Those who drive too close and give the finger will often be from places that don’t have many riders (ie towns etc).

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

Where do wheelchair users go?!

Pedestrians and wheelchair users are counted as the same. Basically I think it means the pavement is for them. Cyclists (and I guess electric scooters) can’t ride on the pavement."

I'm waiting for my speeding ticket for regularly exceeding the 4mph limit for Class I invalid carriages (aka manual wheelchairs). I'm actually desperate for a copper to even know this is a thing. Obviously, they wouldn't be able to catch me on foot, like

Reply privately

By *omethingDifferent4FunWoman
over a year ago

Edinburgh-ish

"As a Horse rider over the years I have been put in some dangerous positions from car drivers that have lacked in the knowledge to give way to Horses...some real scary near misses too, one guy drove that close to my Horse that my foot touched his side mirror, he the showed me the F*ck you sign with his fingers..he had kids in the car with him too *So car drivers..if you drive near a Horse please overtake slowly giving plenty of space..and if you see the Horse is in difficulty please stop*"

It's amazing the difference in attitudes you come across. Some I have to wave on as they seem happy to sit behind me forever and others act like you weren't even there! (Even when I've been out with my daughter on her pony too, both decked out in high-viz!)

I'm so lucky that my horse/her pony are good with traffic and the vast majority of drivers/cyclists pass with respect but it only takes one passing badly to do awful damage.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Anyone with anger management issues ought to be asking themselves a question, are they considered safe to be on the road behind the wheel of a car.

A bit of mutual respect required when sharing road, and yes I very much welcome the new rule regarding drivers having to allow ample space to cyclist when overtaking...

Reply privately

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman
over a year ago

lancashire

"As a Horse rider over the years I have been put in some dangerous positions from car drivers that have lacked in the knowledge to give way to Horses...some real scary near misses too, one guy drove that close to my Horse that my foot touched his side mirror, he the showed me the F*ck you sign with his fingers..he had kids in the car with him too *So car drivers..if you drive near a Horse please overtake slowly giving plenty of space..and if you see the Horse is in difficulty please stop*

It's amazing the difference in attitudes you come across. Some I have to wave on as they seem happy to sit behind me forever and others act like you weren't even there! (Even when I've been out with my daughter on her pony too, both decked out in high-viz!)

I'm so lucky that my horse/her pony are good with traffic and the vast majority of drivers/cyclists pass with respect but it only takes one passing badly to do awful damage. "

Yes your so right about different attitudes in drivers, even a 100% good in traffic Horse can get spooked, the thoughts of what can happen are terrifying.

Reply privately

By *ingle ex cuckMan
over a year ago

chester

There will be no road rage

There will be no accidents

There will be no congestion

There will be no car theft

Soon all methods of travel will be driverless

Trust me

I know

Some will move to air

Reply privately

over a year ago

"There will be no road rage

Trust me

I know

Some will move to air

"

and pigs will fly

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Trust me

I know

Some will move to air

and pigs will fly "

Where are flying pigs in the hierarchy of road users?

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Trust me

I know

Some will move to air

and pigs will fly

Where are flying pigs in the hierarchy of road users?"

They can break speed limits as long as the blue lights are flashing

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

As a Horse rider over the years I have been put in some dangerous positions from car drivers that have lacked in the knowledge to give way to Horses...some real scary near misses too, one guy drove that close to my Horse that my foot touched his side mirror, he the showed me the F*ck you sign with his fingers..he had kids in the car with him too *So car drivers..if you drive near a Horse please overtake slowly giving plenty of space..and if you see the Horse is in difficulty please stop*

In my experience the people who tend to live in the countryside will give a horse a wide berth. Those who drive too close and give the finger will often be from places that don’t have many riders (ie towns etc)."

Definitely this

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

So they are not in control of their animals..."

Not if they get off it on a road to shovel up horse shit no!

Reply privately

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Not if they get off it on a road to shovel up horse shit no! "

I’m now seeing Albert Steptoe get down of the cart and scoop Herculeases doings up with his bare hands and then get back on the cart and finish eating his sandwich

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Not if they get off it on a road to shovel up horse shit no! "

Surely somebody could invent an expandable telescopic scoop for horse riders. After all, knights carried a lance years ago. No difference really.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I have to disagree with you on this one. With a zebra crossing, there are visible signs preceding it and high-level Belisha beacons, giving ample warning that the vehicle in front may be braking to a dead stop. Many A roads in the UK are single tracked carriageways with speed limits of up to 60mph and also have left turn T-junctions onto B roads. A vehicle coming to a dead stop on an A road to allow a pedestrian to cross could potentially be a serious hazard.

How fast would you take that turing if you were heading down it? Surely there isn't much difference between slowing to a safe turning speed and slowing enough to let the pedestrian cross.

Any car coming down the road should be going at a safe speed (which isn't always up to the speed limit, that is just a maximum), so that they can slow safely for any obstacles up ahead. If they can't slow in time then they are breaking the rules and driving dangerously. "

Exactly. The safe speed to drive is at or under the posted limit *and* one in which you can safely come to a stop in the length of road you can see to be clear.

If you're turning into a side road that you cannot see to be clear you shouldn't be going at a speed that prevents you doing should a pedestrian step out.

Is it me or do others find the the utter lack of awareness about how to drive safely quite scary? It has long puzzled me how in work I have to retake my MEWP licence and my FLT licence every 3 - 5 years in order for them to be able to say in the event of an accident that they have ensured I'm adequately trained. Cars though it seems are different. You can pass your test at 17, young, dumb and full of testosterone. You can pick up all the bad habits you want and never ever be expected to re-train and we wonder why we kill nearly 30 people every week on our roads.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Surely somebody could invent an expandable telescopic scoop for horse riders. After all, knights carried a lance years ago. No difference really."

Dragons Den Tom?

Reply privately

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I’m now seeing Albert Steptoe get down of the cart and scoop Herculeases doings up with his bare hands and then get back on the cart and finish eating his sandwich "

Reply privately

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Im all for more good manners on the road, however - laws of the road apply to everyone which means cyclists aren’t allowed to sail up the i side of a vehicle at lights (legal). And then carry on through the red light because theres a gap in traffic. Lots of cyclists are responsible but there are a significant minority that have made this a noticeable issue. Are cyclists going to be compelled to have 3rd party insurance in case they are found liable for an accident ? Are they going to help fund the upkeep of their cycle lanes ? Will they be subject to the same penalty as say.. a tractor driver who causes a huge tailback on a country road - where they are obliged to pull over and let traffic past - I believe if they don’t they can be charged with an offence. Apparently you can be charged for driving without reasonable consideration for other drivers - and he was doing 25 mph. Would the same be required of 25 lycra clad cyclists doing that or less - and would they do it. Ive seen plenty of tractor drivers pull over to let built up traffic pass - but Ive never seen a group of cyclists do it. In my view there needs to be better behaviour from all. It’s difficult to make a case for better behaviour on the road and more consideration when the other party doesn’t display it in return. It causes frustration and resentment.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

A cyclist is not obliged to pull over to allow other road users to overtake, as I remember it's totally the responsibility of the following road user to overtake safely without impeding/ affecting the road user being overtaken..

Reply privately

By *1bttmMan
over a year ago

Shoreditch east London

"Ronnie Pickering will be fuming "

Poor old Ronnie. Heard he's a driving instructor these days

Reply privately

By *1bttmMan
over a year ago

Shoreditch east London

I'm pretty sure, some of them have been doing that for years anyway "

2 abreast and not behind each other . Shame it doesn't go far as to say cyclists need to obey traffic lights as well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

2 abreast and not behind each other . Shame it doesn't go far as to say cyclists need to obey traffic lights as well. "

It's safer to ride two abreast, really is that simple..

Ditto when there's a group, it's better to have one thing to overtake as the following road user than in/out for several hundred yards..

As someone who cycled into a very busy area of South London regularly it literally was dangerous, and it was the actions of other road users who either ignored my bright yellow jacket,lights front and back etc or who could plainly see me but didn't give a toss..

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Im all for more good manners on the road, however - laws of the road apply to everyone which means cyclists aren’t allowed to sail up the i side of a vehicle at lights (legal). And then carry on through the red light because theres a gap in traffic. Lots of cyclists are responsible but there are a significant minority that have made this a noticeable issue. Are cyclists going to be compelled to have 3rd party insurance in case they are found liable for an accident ? Are they going to help fund the upkeep of their cycle lanes ? Will they be subject to the same penalty as say.. a tractor driver who causes a huge tailback on a country road - where they are obliged to pull over and let traffic past - I believe if they don’t they can be charged with an offence. Apparently you can be charged for driving without reasonable consideration for other drivers - and he was doing 25 mph. Would the same be required of 25 lycra clad cyclists doing that or less - and would they do it. Ive seen plenty of tractor drivers pull over to let built up traffic pass - but Ive never seen a group of cyclists do it. In my view there needs to be better behaviour from all. It’s difficult to make a case for better behaviour on the road and more consideration when the other party doesn’t display it in return. It causes frustration and resentment. "

Yep, because taking an extra couple of minutes to complete your journey due to an inconsiderate cyclist is totally comparable to being killed by an inconsiderate driver.

Of course there are bad cyclists, rude cyclists arrogant cyclists but using the behaviour of a few to justify driving in a way that endangers the lives of others is a sign of complete lack of empathy- and that's me being polite.

Mr

Reply privately

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

If everyone spent put as much effort into observing the rules and the road ahead as they do looking for other road users breaking the rules there would probably be far fewer accidents.

Reply privately

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Im all for more good manners on the road, however - laws of the road apply to everyone which means cyclists aren’t allowed to sail up the i side of a vehicle at lights (legal). And then carry on through the red light because theres a gap in traffic. Lots of cyclists are responsible but there are a significant minority that have made this a noticeable issue. Are cyclists going to be compelled to have 3rd party insurance in case they are found liable for an accident ? Are they going to help fund the upkeep of their cycle lanes ? Will they be subject to the same penalty as say.. a tractor driver who causes a huge tailback on a country road - where they are obliged to pull over and let traffic past - I believe if they don’t they can be charged with an offence. Apparently you can be charged for driving without reasonable consideration for other drivers - and he was doing 25 mph. Would the same be required of 25 lycra clad cyclists doing that or less - and would they do it. Ive seen plenty of tractor drivers pull over to let built up traffic pass - but Ive never seen a group of cyclists do it. In my view there needs to be better behaviour from all. It’s difficult to make a case for better behaviour on the road and more consideration when the other party doesn’t display it in return. It causes frustration and resentment.

Yep, because taking an extra couple of minutes to complete your journey due to an inconsiderate cyclist is totally comparable to being killed by an inconsiderate driver.

Of course there are bad cyclists, rude cyclists arrogant cyclists but using the behaviour of a few to justify driving in a way that endangers the lives of others is a sign of complete lack of empathy- and that's me being polite.

Mr"

Ive re read my post and struggle to see where I have condoned or endorsed driving in any way other than courteously on both sides

I didn’t draw any comparison or endorse driving in any other way - what I did highlight is that there is poor behaviour on both sides and one won’t get better if the other doesn’t.

As a driver who has lived in the countryside for over half my life - im used to cyclists and horses …. And tractors ! and i treat them all the same. I’ll get where I’m going … a few minutes is neither here nor there to me.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"A cyclist is not obliged to pull over to allow other road users to overtake, as I remember it's totally the responsibility of the following road user to overtake safely without impeding/ affecting the road user being overtaken.."

Rule 72 says a cyclist _IS_ obliged to pull over as soon as is practical to let faster vehicles past.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

2 abreast and not behind each other . Shame it doesn't go far as to say cyclists need to obey traffic lights as well.

It's safer to ride two abreast, really is that simple..

Ditto when there's a group, it's better to have one thing to overtake as the following road user than in/out for several hundred yards..

As someone who cycled into a very busy area of South London regularly it literally was dangerous, and it was the actions of other road users who either ignored my bright yellow jacket,lights front and back etc or who could plainly see me but didn't give a toss.."

Rule 66 says that cyclists should be considerate of other road users and pull over if in large groups/2 abreast to let other vehicles past. It also observes that cyclists should stop if needed to let other vehicles past.

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I am not really sure what the arguments are all about. I drive and cycle (though not as much as used to). All you need is decency, care and consideration above anything else. Safety first at all times even when someone is behaving with undue care and consideration which might frustrate you. Never any need for bravado and risk and always 'better late than never'.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"I am not really sure what the arguments are all about. I drive and cycle (though not as much as used to). All you need is decency, care and consideration above anything else. Safety first at all times even when someone is behaving with undue care and consideration which might frustrate you. Never any need for bravado and risk and always 'better late than never'. "

I think the issue is that everyone (pedestrians, cyclists and motor vehicles) all think they are the special case. I agree with you.

Reply privately

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I am not really sure what the arguments are all about. I drive and cycle (though not as much as used to). All you need is decency, care and consideration above anything else. Safety first at all times even when someone is behaving with undue care and consideration which might frustrate you. Never any need for bravado and risk and always 'better late than never'.

I think the issue is that everyone (pedestrians, cyclists and motor vehicles) all think they are the special case. I agree with you."

Thank you and sorry I forgot to add that I also walk, so a pedestrian too

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"A cyclist is not obliged to pull over to allow other road users to overtake, as I remember it's totally the responsibility of the following road user to overtake safely without impeding/ affecting the road user being overtaken..

Rule 72 says a cyclist _IS_ obliged to pull over as soon as is practical to let faster vehicles past."

New code?

Reply privately

over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I am not really sure what the arguments are all about. I drive and cycle (though not as much as used to). All you need is decency, care and consideration above anything else. Safety first at all times even when someone is behaving with undue care and consideration which might frustrate you. Never any need for bravado and risk and always 'better late than never'. "

Agreed..

Reply privately

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

I don't cycle or drive, but I would think it would be practical for a cyclist to move to the left so traffic can overtake when it's safe?

I wouldn't want a line of traffic following me on a busy road. I didn't like it when I drove a car down a country lane.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

"A cyclist is not obliged to pull over to allow other road users to overtake, as I remember it's totally the responsibility of the following road user to overtake safely without impeding/ affecting the road user being overtaken..

Rule 72 says a cyclist _IS_ obliged to pull over as soon as is practical to let faster vehicles past.

New code?"

Yes. Rule 66 has also been updated to explicitly state that cyclists need to pull over when it is possible. The rules are becoming much clearer that cyclists have obligations as well.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Horse manure is highly unlikely to cause disease (even e-coli). Dog poop contains both diseases and parasites.

We pick up dog poo because it’s harmful, we don’t pick up horse manure (though it is usually polite to kick it to the edge of a lane) because it isn’t.

It should be comulsary

"

Why Tom? Why should it be “comulsory” (what is that word anyway? Think someone took the P)

Reply privately

over a year ago

"Im all for more good manners on the road, however - laws of the road apply to everyone which means cyclists aren’t allowed to sail up the i side of a vehicle at lights (legal). And then carry on through the red light because theres a gap in traffic. Lots of cyclists are responsible but there are a significant minority that have made this a noticeable issue. Are cyclists going to be compelled to have 3rd party insurance in case they are found liable for an accident ? Are they going to help fund the upkeep of their cycle lanes ? Will they be subject to the same penalty as say.. a tractor driver who causes a huge tailback on a country road - where they are obliged to pull over and let traffic past - I believe if they don’t they can be charged with an offence. Apparently you can be charged for driving without reasonable consideration for other drivers - and he was doing 25 mph. Would the same be required of 25 lycra clad cyclists doing that or less - and would they do it. Ive seen plenty of tractor drivers pull over to let built up traffic pass - but Ive never seen a group of cyclists do it. In my view there needs to be better behaviour from all. It’s difficult to make a case for better behaviour on the road and more consideration when the other party doesn’t display it in return. It causes frustration and resentment.

Mr

Ive re read my post and struggle to see where I have condoned or endorsed driving in any way other than courteously on both sides

I didn’t draw any comparison or endorse driving in any other way - what I did highlight is that there is poor behaviour on both sides and one won’t get better if the other doesn’t.

As a driver who has lived in the countryside for over half my life - im used to cyclists and horses …. And tractors ! and i treat them all the same. I’ll get where I’m going … a few minutes is neither here nor there to me. "

You said " It’s difficult to make a case for better behaviour on the road and more consideration when the other party doesn’t display it in return"

Forgive me for being thick but that implies you believe it is difficult to make a case for car drivers to be more considerate (bearing in mind inconsiderate driving kills cyclists at a rate of 2 a week) because cyclists are also inconsiderate (and you kindly gave the example of them holding up traffic)

Like I said, to argue that being delayed is justification for not attemting to change behaviour that kills people displays a remarkable lack of empathy. It isn't a hard case to make at all. An inconsiderate cyclist means you sit in your warm comfy car for a few minutes. Am inconsiderate driver means someone's son, daughter,husband, wife etc doesn't ever come home again. I totally fail to understand what is hard to make about this case.

Mr

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

")Like I said, to argue that being delayed is justification for not attemting to change behaviour that kills people displays a remarkable lack of empathy. It isn't a hard case to make at all. An inconsiderate cyclist means you sit in your warm comfy car for a few minutes. Am inconsiderate driver means someone's son, daughter,husband, wife etc doesn't ever come home again. I totally fail to understand what is hard to make about this case.

Mr"

You are misusing the word empathy. It means to put yourself In someone else’s shoes. In your example it is actually the cyclist who needs to show empathy as they need to understand the desire of the car behind them. The driver needs to show sympathy for the cyclist and to just accept that they are being inconsiderate.

Reply privately

over a year ago

")Like I said, to argue that being delayed is justification for not attemting to change behaviour that kills people displays a remarkable lack of empathy. It isn't a hard case to make at all. An inconsiderate cyclist means you sit in your warm comfy car for a few minutes. Am inconsiderate driver means someone's son, daughter,husband, wife etc doesn't ever come home again. I totally fail to understand what is hard to make about this case.

Mr

You are misusing the word empathy. It means to put yourself In someone else’s shoes. In your example it is actually the cyclist who needs to show empathy as they need to understand the desire of the car behind them. The driver needs to show sympathy for the cyclist and to just accept that they are being inconsiderate."

I know exactly what empathy means. Of course it works in both directions. I'm just pointing out that I believe that causing someone a slight delay is less of an issue than killing them. The biggest complaints about cyclists is they hold up drivers. The biggest complaint about drivers is they kill cyclists. Can you really not understand the disparity?

Mr

Reply privately

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Mr

As a driver who has lived in the countryside for over half my life - im used to cyclists and horses …. And tractors ! and i treat them all the same. I’ll get where I’m going … a few minutes is neither here nor there to me.

You said " It’s difficult to make a case for better behaviour on the road and more consideration when the other party doesn’t display it in return"

Forgive me for being thick but that implies you believe it is difficult to make a case for car drivers to be more considerate (bearing in mind inconsiderate driving kills cyclists at a rate of 2 a week) because cyclists are also inconsiderate (and you kindly gave the example of them holding up traffic)

Like I said, to argue that being delayed is justification for not attemting to change behaviour that kills people displays a remarkable lack of empathy. It isn't a hard case to make at all. An inconsiderate cyclist means you sit in your warm comfy car for a few minutes. Am inconsiderate driver means someone's son, daughter,husband, wife etc doesn't ever come home again. I totally fail to understand what is hard to make about this case.

Mr"

I don’t think its a difficult case to make at all what i do think is difficult is to change the mindset of a minority of one set of road users to become more accommodating when the other even in The minority continue to flout their obligations to obey traffic signals and to drive/ride with consideration and we are discussing the minorities of both sets of road users here. Sadly the reality is as you have stated that The consequences of it are disproportionate. To me its common sense to leave a gap between me and a horse or me and a cyclist and to only overtake when i can see its clear

It is an obligation of all road users to drive in a manner that is considerate to other road users. - that is my point.

Reply privately

over a year ago

New code?

Yes. Rule 66 has also been updated to explicitly state that cyclists need to pull over when it is possible. The rules are becoming much clearer that cyclists have obligations as well."

I think that in reality, many cyclists have no issue making space for cars to go past, the big difference is many car drivers don't actually understand how much space that is. They see cyclists as no different to street furniture that they can squeeze past at 40mph with a few inches spare. I can't speak for all but I absolutely will move over when I can sees that there is enough room for me and a car and at least a meters gap between us. If there isn't that room then the driver can wait. That's not bad manners, that's not being rude it's simply the rules of the road.

Its funny, you never hear a driver saying "I had to sit and wait in a queue at that T junction for ages before I could pull out, why didn't all those cars pull off the road to let me past" yet for some reason a cyclist isn't seen as another road use, they're seen as a nuisance.

Mr

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Mr

You are misusing the word empathy. It means to put yourself In someone else’s shoes. In your example it is actually the cyclist who needs to show empathy as they need to understand the desire of the car behind them. The driver needs to show sympathy for the cyclist and to just accept that they are being inconsiderate.

I know exactly what empathy means. Of course it works in both directions. I'm just pointing out that I believe that causing someone a slight delay is less of an issue than killing them. The biggest complaints about cyclists is they hold up drivers. The biggest complaint about drivers is they kill cyclists. Can you really not understand the disparity?

Mr"

I pointed out you were misusing a word - not that I didn’t understand the disparity. One of the things I think is really interesting from reading the new Highway Code (which I have assumed you have done as well) is that it is becoming much clearer about the fact that _ALL_ road users have responsibility for their behaviour.

It is also interesting that this thread has barely touched on motorbikes who have the highest death rate pro rata by a long way of all road users. Cyclists v cars is actually a sideshow compared to that.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Incredible some peeps still find it difficult to accept the governments explanation that, ‘road users who can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger they may pose to others’.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mr

Mr

I don’t think its a difficult case to make at all what i do think is difficult is to change the mindset of a minority of one set of road users to become more accommodating when the other even in The minority continue to flout their obligations to obey traffic signals and to drive/ride with consideration and we are discussing the minorities of both sets of road users here. Sadly the reality is as you have stated that The consequences of it are disproportionate. To me its common sense to leave a gap between me and a horse or me and a cyclist and to only overtake when i can see its clear

It is an obligation of all road users to drive in a manner that is considerate to other road users. - that is my point. "

So do you think it's a difficult case to make or don't you? You've quite clearly said both now so you're confusing me.

I think that the words people use and the language they chose says far far more about them than they often intend. You're trying your sanitise your statement now, presumably because you can see it shows you in a way that really isn't very nice but the fact remains that the post of yours I first replied to was a long rant about the things that cyclists do that upset you followed by your stated belief that because cyclist don't respect other road users it is hard to make a case for drivers to respect them.

Mr

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mr

Mr

I pointed out you were misusing a word - not that I didn’t understand the disparity. One of the things I think is really interesting from reading the new Highway Code (which I have assumed you have done as well) is that it is becoming much clearer about the fact that _ALL_ road users have responsibility for their behaviour.

It is also interesting that this thread has barely touched on motorbikes who have the highest death rate pro rata by a long way of all road users. Cyclists v cars is actually a sideshow compared to that.

"

I disagree, I think my use of the word empathy within the argument I was making was perfectly valid.

Yes, motorcyclists are indeed another story. They have the unfortunate position of being very nearly as vulnerable as cyclists whilst having enough power to mean that their own speed plays a big part in any accident they have. They also tend to pay heavily for their mistakes.

Mr

Reply privately

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Mr

Mr

It is an obligation of all road users to drive in a manner that is considerate to other road users. - that is my point.

So do you think it's a difficult case to make or don't you? You've quite clearly said both now so you're confusing me.

I think that the words people use and the language they chose says far far more about them than they often intend. You're trying your sanitise your statement now, presumably because you can see it shows you in a way that really isn't very nice but the fact remains that the post of yours I first replied to was a long rant about the things that cyclists do that upset you followed by your stated belief that because cyclist don't respect other road users it is hard to make a case for drivers to respect them.

Mr"

I suppose In simple terms Im saying if cyclists want to be treated with respect

On the road then they have to show respect for the laws of the road. Yes there are bad drivers - but there are also bad cyclists and when these two meet On the road its the cyclist who always comes off worse.

In that respect i think it’s difficult to change the mindset of some drivers because their preconception of cyclists is like you have stated they are always getting in the way - that preconception hasn’t arisen from nowhere it’s probably been gained from being stuck behind 20 in a group on a ride out when they have not shown due courtesy and pulled over when a significant tailback has been caused. My statement about them moving over isn’t every time a car comes they give right of way its if they are causing a significant issue their obligation is to move and let faster vehicles past. That way everyone co operates on the road. I wasn’t trying to sanitise my statement - i was trying to make it clearer. Too often a word can be misinterpreted. And my initial post wasnt a long rant about what cyclists do that upset me ( because really I don’t get flustered if I get held up - it is what it is , i’ll get there eventually) - it was an observation if the main transgressions i see them do every day. There were also a few questions about public liability insurance - if you cast your mind back to an incident in london where a cyclist killed a pedestrian ? Its rare but it happens.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Mr

Mr

Mr

On the road then they have to show respect for the laws of the road. Yes there are bad drivers - but there are also bad cyclists and when these two meet On the road its the cyclist who always comes off worse.

In that respect i think it’s difficult to change the mindset of some drivers because their preconception of cyclists is like you have stated they are always getting in the way - that preconception hasn’t arisen from nowhere it’s probably been gained from being stuck behind 20 in a group on a ride out when they have not shown due courtesy and pulled over when a significant tailback has been caused. My statement about them moving over isn’t every time a car comes they give right of way its if they are causing a significant issue their obligation is to move and let faster vehicles past. That way everyone co operates on the road. I wasn’t trying to sanitise my statement - i was trying to make it clearer. Too often a word can be misinterpreted. And my initial post wasnt a long rant about what cyclists do that upset me ( because really I don’t get flustered if I get held up - it is what it is , i’ll get there eventually) - it was an observation if the main transgressions i see them do every day. There were also a few questions about public liability insurance - if you cast your mind back to an incident in london where a cyclist killed a pedestrian ? Its rare but it happens.

"

Yes, I totally agree, cyclist should be considerate. I also agree that very very rarely a cyclist will kill someone. I also agree that there are instances when a cyclist is at fault and causes damage to a car. What I don't understand is what any of these facts have to do with the changes to the highway code which is what this thread is ostensibly about. None of those issues makes the slightest bit of difference to the fact that the changes have been introduced to make it less likely cyclists get killed. None of the issues you have raised form an excuse not to follow the new rules and none of them make the argument for the new rules untenable.

The fact that you and others like you keep raising all this whataboutery is a clear sign that you instinctively don't agree with me on this. You think these issues with cyclists are of equal importance to the rule changes which are designed to save lives - a fact you made abundantly clear with your comment that you believed the case was hard to make.

I take your point that the stereotype of being stuck behind riders almost certainly has a basis in fact but as a driver of over 1/4 century and 100's of thousands of miles I can count on one finger the hours of life I've lost to cyclists. My total time spent waiting for other drivers to get out the way on the other hand adds up to many days - and that doesn't include traffic jams which add days more. Until I hear drivers expressing their opinion that the 6 cars ahead of them at the T junction this morning should pull off the road to let them through, I'm not going to pay any attention to their belief that a cyclist should do that very same thing.

Mr

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I wear a bright yellow jacket on my bike and still nearly get knocked of it! x

Reply privately

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"New code?

Yes. Rule 66 has also been updated to explicitly state that cyclists need to pull over when it is possible. The rules are becoming much clearer that cyclists have obligations as well."

Revised rule 66 only calls for groups of cyclists to ride in single file when drivers want to overtake. The rules have always made it clear that ALL road users have responsibilities as well as rights.

Reply privately

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

Mr

Mr

Mr

Yes, I totally agree, cyclist should be considerate. I also agree that very very rarely a cyclist will kill someone. I also agree that there are instances when a cyclist is at fault and causes damage to a car. What I don't understand is what any of these facts have to do with the changes to the highway code which is what this thread is ostensibly about. None of those issues makes the slightest bit of difference to the fact that the changes have been introduced to make it less likely cyclists get killed. None of the issues you have raised form an excuse not to follow the new rules and none of them make the argument for the new rules untenable.

The fact that you and others like you keep raising all this whataboutery is a clear sign that you instinctively don't agree with me on this. You think these issues with cyclists are of equal importance to the rule changes which are designed to save lives - a fact you made abundantly clear with your comment that you believed the case was hard to make.

I take your point that the stereotype of being stuck behind riders almost certainly has a basis in fact but as a driver of over 1/4 century and 100's of thousands of miles I can count on one finger the hours of life I've lost to cyclists. My total time spent waiting for other drivers to get out the way on the other hand adds up to many days - and that doesn't include traffic jams which add days more. Until I hear drivers expressing their opinion that the 6 cars ahead of them at the T junction this morning should pull off the road to let them through, I'm not going to pay any attention to their belief that a cyclist should do that very same thing.

Mr"

Couple of points Im not putting any of the issues I mentioned forward as an argument or excuse not to follow the new guidance - in reality I drive that way anyway. There are hundreds of laws I don’t agree with but I follow them anyway. You inferred I compared the behavioural issues I noted with some cyclists as being of equal importance to the rule changes’ I would say that I didn’t refer to to a correlation between the two at all. And I dont think I’ve ever implied that cyclists should give way to vehicles at a T junction - they are observing the give way instruction.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Surely somebody could invent an expandable telescopic scoop for horse riders. After all, knights carried a lance years ago. No difference really."

Could be adapted so you could clean up some of the posts you make Tom

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Are motorists being demonised here...

Cyclists should wear reflective clothes from now on .. most of the buggers wear black with no lights then complain when a car gets too close... Bloody Buggers

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Are motorists being demonised here...

Cyclists should wear reflective clothes from now on .. most of the buggers wear black with no lights then complain when a car gets too close... Bloody Buggers "

Deffo not its allways the cyclist being demonized! X

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Well cars are forced to have lights by law.. Cars have lights.

Many cycles have zero lights..

Then moan when they are not seen..

These buggers on pushbikes without lights should feel the full force of the law

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"Well cars are forced to have lights by law.. Cars have lights.

Many cycles have zero lights..

Then moan when they are not seen..

These buggers on pushbikes without lights should feel the full force of the law"

Cycles are required by law to have lights!

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I also like the fact that rule 59 tells cyclists that they should wear clothes that allow them to be seen. Any cyclist who wears black needs to think long and hard about why they are ignoring this rule IMHO.

I wear a bright yellow jacket on my bike and still nearly get knocked of it! x"

I got taken out in a roundabout on my way to work, I was wearing a Hi vis and lights. The blind cunt wasn't looking for cyclists.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

I wear a bright yellow jacket on my bike and still nearly get knocked of it! x

I got taken out in a roundabout on my way to work, I was wearing a Hi vis and lights. The blind cunt wasn't looking for cyclists."

Yes same with the woman nearly got me last week! Inches literally she did apologise think it shook her up as much as me! Tbf only had 2 near misses in all my cycling years the other was in the dark had my lights on and my vest a car started reversing up the road I was cycling down! Was one of those realization moments knew it wasent stopping getting closer! I managed to get to the side of road just in time x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Any car coming down the road should be going at a safe speed (which isn't always up to the speed limit, that is just a maximum), so that they can slow safely for any obstacles up ahead. If they can't slow in time then they are breaking the rules and driving dangerously. "

When I had my R6, I would be sliding both wheels as I turned into my road. The loud exhaust I had, gave everyone a good heads up to clear the area.

Reply privately

By *he_massangerMan
over a year ago

Stornoway

"They should make cyclists use cycle lanes/paths if there is one (surely that is what they are there for)? No-one around here seems to use them.

While I do agree with cycle paths being used as millions have been spent on making them, they do need maintaining by sweeping, ours round here you get puncture after puncture on them from glass and stones plus the debris left from cutting the very thorny hedge along side it. "

Cyclists need to take responsibility for maintaining the cycle paths. Don the high visability lycra and get to work with cycle equivalents to hedge cutting and road sweepers. Own it.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

"They should make cyclists use cycle lanes/paths if there is one (surely that is what they are there for)? No-one around here seems to use them.

While I do agree with cycle paths being used as millions have been spent on making them, they do need maintaining by sweeping, ours round here you get puncture after puncture on them from glass and stones plus the debris left from cutting the very thorny hedge along side it.

Cyclists need to take responsibility for maintaining the cycle paths. Don the high visability lycra and get to work with cycle equivalents to hedge cutting and road sweepers. Own it."

So you are expecting car drivers to carry a bag of tar, repair a few pot holes on the middle lane of the A23 on the way to work.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Cyclists are reminded that _they_ have to give priority to _pedestrians_ on a shared cycle path and that they are reminded that they are not allowed to cycle on the pavement. Only pedestrians can use the pavement."

Shared spaces do not work. The amount of times I have lost count of the amount of times that I have missed out on a strava pb, just because some blind twat, little kid, or dog off the lead has run out in front of me on to the cycle path.

One of these days someone will get killed.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

Shared spaces do not work. The amount of times I have lost count of the amount of times that I have missed out on a strava pb, just because some blind twat, little kid, or dog off the lead has run out in front of me on to the cycle path.

One of these days someone will get killed."

Blind twats?! I hope they use their canes to knock people off bikes on purpose

Reply privately

By *he_massangerMan
over a year ago

Stornoway

Cyclists need to take responsibility for maintaining the cycle paths. Don the high visability lycra and get to work with cycle equivalents to hedge cutting and road sweepers. Own it.

So you are expecting car drivers to carry a bag of tar, repair a few pot holes on the middle lane of the A23 on the way to work."

No silly, we have regular ROAD vehicles for this sort of thing but they're to cumbersome for cycle paths hence why cyclists need to devise some cycle 'attachments' so they can be more self-sufficient in their maintenance tasks.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I am both a motorist, a motorcyclist and a cyclist..

My cycle of choice is a restored Butchers bike cplete with basket on the front and original signage.. I ride it wearing an apron and flat cap and still overtake these Lycra types while ringing my bell..

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"I am both a motorist, a motorcyclist and a cyclist..

My cycle of choice is a restored Butchers bike cplete with basket on the front and original signage.. I ride it wearing an apron and flat cap and still overtake these Lycra types while ringing my bell..

"

Yet, I still overtake you on the uphills in my Küschall K4

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

So you are expecting car drivers to carry a bag of tar, repair a few pot holes on the middle lane of the A23 on the way to work.

No silly, we have regular ROAD vehicles for this sort of thing but they're to cumbersome for cycle paths hence why cyclists need to devise some cycle 'attachments' so they can be more self-sufficient in their maintenance tasks."

There are way too many for the tarmac guys to do, so why not get the car drivers to stop off, heat up a bit of bitumen, threw in some stones and do a quick repair. It would make it much safer for the cycling club, when it goes out on the sunday run.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Blind twats?! I hope they use their canes to knock people off bikes on purpose "

There is nothing worse than getting a nice tail wind, hitting 40mph on the shared path, only to have to hit the brakes, to hope avoid a fucking pedestrian. Don't they realise that bikes can't stop as quick as cars.

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

There is nothing worse than getting a nice tail wind, hitting 40mph on the shared path, only to have to hit the brakes, to hope avoid a fucking pedestrian. Don't they realise that bikes can't stop as quick as cars. "

Blind people should be encouraged to use their canes to poke cyclists off the pavement. They should be given a fiver per cyclist removed.

Have you ever tried pushing uphill in a manual wheelchair? Do NOT fucking make me stop

It's quite amusing to see the terrified faces of pedestrians who think I'm going to run them over. My brakes are my hands

Reply privately

By *he_massangerMan
over a year ago

Stornoway

No silly, we have regular ROAD vehicles for this sort of thing but they're to cumbersome for cycle paths hence why cyclists need to devise some cycle 'attachments' so they can be more self-sufficient in their maintenance tasks.

There are way too many for the tarmac guys to do, so why not get the car drivers to stop off, heat up a bit of bitumen, threw in some stones and do a quick repair. It would make it much safer for the cycling club, when it goes out on the sunday run."

Like a charity event? I can see the Sunday motorist types signing up for this but for the average lad in a Corsa you've got no chance.

Reply privately

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

There are way too many for the tarmac guys to do, so why not get the car drivers to stop off, heat up a bit of bitumen, threw in some stones and do a quick repair. It would make it much safer for the cycling club, when it goes out on the sunday run.

Like a charity event? I can see the Sunday motorist types signing up for this but for the average lad in a Corsa you've got no chance."

Why not, it would help protect his over priced alloys.

Reply privately

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

I knew a bloke who rode a unicycle and none of these new laws apply to him.. bloody clown

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Typical! Not one single mention of us skater girls.......

Reply privately

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I stumbled on a proggy called Zen Motoring last week ...... It's illuminating - scripted but with real road user footage....

Reply privately

over a year ago

North West

"Typical! Not one single mention of us skater girls....... "

See ya later girl

Reply privately

over a year ago

To be honest I think you highway code is a good thing because some motorists have become so entitled.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is nothing worse than getting a nice tail wind, hitting 40mph on the shared path, only to have to hit the brakes, to hope avoid a fucking pedestrian. Don't they realise that bikes can't stop as quick as cars. "

Do you know realise that you should not be going that fast on a shared space!

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

One of these days someone will get killed."

I am not sure your Strava PB is really relevant to road safety is it? Focussing on beating a time would suggest that you are possibly not as focussed on overall road safety as might be required?

Walking back from the shops last night I had to step out of the way of four bikes at different times who were riding along the pavement at speed. I understand why they didn’t want to go on the road - which was full of stop/start traffic - but the idea that a cyclist is not a danger doesn’t apply when you are talking about pedestrians.

Reply privately

By *ellhungvweMan
over a year ago

Cheltenham

I assume you are trolling - if not and you genuinely think that this is a good thing to do then I hope the accident you cause only injures you.

Reply privately

By *acMac69Man
over a year ago

Cleator

Alot of the changes were already in the highway code. They have just changed a couple of words to made them clearer. The rule about cycling in the middle of the line was always there. But it was down as command your position. Give room has now been given clear distances and changes with speed and size of vehicle.

As for anyone that says about paying road tax to use the roads. I'd love to meet you as you must be in the guinness book of record's as the old's person to hold a driving licence. As Road tax was abolished in early 1930's.

Reply privately

over a year ago

There is nothing worse than getting a nice tail wind, hitting 40mph on the shared path, only to have to hit the brakes, to hope avoid a fucking pedestrian. Don't they realise that bikes can't stop as quick as cars.

Do you know realise that you should not be going that fast on a shared space! "

Car are supposed to stick to legal road speed limits, but they obviously don't.

I often did it along Brighton and Hove sea front, especially with a nice tail wind. Used to hit 40mph on the odd occasion 45mph, couldn't do that on the roads as there were to many idiot drivers just getting in the way.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I assume you are trolling - if not and you genuinely think that this is a good thing to do then I hope the accident you cause only injures you."

I have found out that people make a good cushion, just hope the bike is not too badly damaged. It is safer than riding on the road with a bunch of empowered twats, that think that bikes shouldn't be there.

Reply privately

over a year ago

Whoops....thought this was about the Welsh band catatonia

Reply privately

By *enny PR9TV/TS
over a year ago

Southport

"Alot of the changes were already in the highway code. They have just changed a couple of words to made them clearer. The rule about cycling in the middle of the line was always there. But it was down as command your position. Give room has now been given clear distances and changes with speed and size of vehicle.

As for anyone that says about paying road tax to use the roads. I'd love to meet you as you must be in the guinness book of record's as the old's person to hold a driving licence. As Road tax was abolished in early 1930's."

I've always taken control of the lane when passing parked cars, employing the L.B.W. rule.

Reply privately

over a year ago

I assume you are trolling - if not and you genuinely think that this is a good thing to do then I hope the accident you cause only injures you."

Funny how you think my attitude towards pedestrians is bad, yet the very same attitude has been used towards cyclists on the road and no one bats an eye lid.

Put a few blind idiots, young kids, someones grandparent in the line of getting injured and people seem to get concerned.

Reply privately

By *ulfilthmentMan
over a year ago

Just around the corner

"I stumbled on a proggy called Zen Motoring last week ...... It's illuminating - scripted but with real road user footage.... "

The Ogmios school of zen motoring? If everyone treated their drives as an opportunity to make a stream of consciousness documentary about the odd stuff you see on the roads the world would be a much better place.

Reply privately

over a year ago

New Highway Code changes to help increase the safety of cyclists and pedestrians could lead to situations where cyclists are flagrantly using their newfound powers to avoid being run over, according to reports this morning.

The new ‘hierarchy of road users’ puts more responsibility for road safety on more dangerous modes of transport, which drivers insist will only further embolden cyclists in their never-ending quest to avoid being squashed by a metal box weighing over a tonne.

Driver Simon Williams told us, “Oh Christ, as if cyclists weren’t the smuggest road users already, now these new rules will mean they will have even more reason to go on and on about not being killed on the roads.

“Barely a week goes by without angry cyclists complaining about me not giving them enough room, or cutting them up, or not seeing them when I pulled out at the junction – do we really want more of that whinging?

“Has anyone really thought this through? This will just lead to more and more cyclists loudly complaining about cars endangering them – and don’t we have enough of that already? If anything, we should be taking away rights from cyclists – the fewer rights they have, the less reason they’d have to complain about my driving.

“I think I speak for all road users when I say we’ve had quite enough already of selfish cyclists insisting we try to do more not to kill them.

“If they want to be safer on the roads, they should buy an Audi like I did.”

Reply privately

over a year ago

I just read this thread end to end without participating until now. And without replying to anyone, I just find it fascinating that there’s practically no other group of people that consistently lose their shit than motorists v cyclists (on both sides).

Even taking account that many (most) are both, it’s amazing that this can cause such rage.

When I cycle (a lot, I have more bikes than many people have shoes), what’s the worst that can happen to me, or indeed what can happen at all, when there is an incident/encounter with a motorist:

- I can be knocked off my bike and killed

- I can be knocked off my bike and injured

- I can be pushed or crowded off the road and:

— Be knocked off and injured myself, or

— get a puncture, which may require me to fix it roadside of have to push my bike to a safe spot making me use up more space and be slower and more vulnerable

- I can abused or have shit thrown at my out of a car window

- I can be untouched but wet my pants when someone close passes me on purpose

- I can be forced to ride over pot holes or worst (evil!) road grates that are horizontal to the road at a right angle and risk falling in front or by the side of cars

- and many many more bad outcomes!

Ultimately, can I endanger a motorist in return? No. Can I inconvenience them? Yes.

When I drive a motor vehicle (a lot, I have a big family car, a two seater sports car, a motorbike), what’s the worst that can happen when I encounter a cyclist?

- I have to go slower, I may be delayed by some seconds, maybe a minute!

- I might scratch my previous car when overtaking them too closely and dangerously in an attempt to not have to be patient.

- er….

Am I a cyclist? No I’m a road user. And I don’t care if I’m on two wheels or not or with an engine or not, safety is the only thing that matters.

Complaining about cyclists as a motorist is just pure selfishness. Motorists have all the cards. They are safe, warm, comfortable and fully in control of practically any outcome. The only thing they have to worry about are those few seconds they lose waiting for a safe place to pass.

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

"I just read this thread end to end without participating until now. And without replying to anyone, I just find it fascinating that there’s practically no other group of people that consistently lose their shit than motorists v cyclists (on both sides).

Even taking account that many (most) are both, it’s amazing that this can cause such rage.

When I cycle (a lot, I have more bikes than many people have shoes), what’s the worst that can happen to me, or indeed what can happen at all, when there is an incident/encounter with a motorist:

— get a puncture, which may require me to fix it roadside of have to push my bike to a safe spot making me use up more space and be slower and more vulnerable

- I can be forced to ride over pot holes or worst (evil!) road grates that are horizontal to the road at a right angle and risk falling in front or by the side of cars

Ultimately, can I endanger a motorist in return? No. Can I inconvenience them? Yes.

When I drive a motor vehicle (a lot, I have a big family car, a two seater sports car, a motorbike), what’s the worst that can happen when I encounter a cyclist?

- I might scratch my previous car when overtaking them too closely and dangerously in an attempt to not have to be patient.

- er….

Am I a cyclist? No I’m a road user. And I don’t care if I’m on two wheels or not or with an engine or not, safety is the only thing that matters.

Complaining about cyclists as a motorist is just pure selfishness. Motorists have all the cards. They are safe, warm, comfortable and fully in control of practically any outcome. The only thing they have to worry about are those few seconds they lose waiting for a safe place to pass. "

Whilst I agree with much of what you have said I take issue with the fact that you can’t “endanger a motorist” because you can if you are a poor cyclist. If you jump a red light, cause a motorist to swerve etc. a friend of mine in Cornwall is a keen cyclist (and a big lad), he came off a cycle path at a rate of knots entering a roundabout, the lady in front of him (motorist) stopped to give way to traffic and my friend went through the glass of her boot, damaging her car and severely traumatising her (she was a nurse that had just finished a 12 hour shift). Luckily my friend is responsible and has bike insurance which paid for the damage to her car.

But to say that cyclists can’t endanger a motorist is wrong. Sorry.

Reply privately

over a year ago

"I

Whilst I agree with much of what you have said I take issue with the fact that you can’t “endanger a motorist” because you can if you are a poor cyclist. If you jump a red light, cause a motorist to swerve etc. a friend of mine in Cornwall is a keen cyclist (and a big lad), he came off a cycle path at a rate of knots entering a roundabout, the lady in front of him (motorist) stopped to give way to traffic and my friend went through the glass of her boot, damaging her car and severely traumatising her (she was a nurse that had just finished a 12 hour shift). Luckily my friend is responsible and has bike insurance which paid for the damage to her car.

But to say that cyclists can’t endanger a motorist is wrong. Sorry. "

Point taken, and agreed. If a cyclist is willing to endanger himself, he can also endanger other road users including motorists. It’s absolutely a possibility you can’t say won’t happen. But the cyclist will still come off worse.

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"I just read this thread end to end without participating until now. And without replying to anyone, I just find it fascinating that there’s practically no other group of people that consistently lose their shit than motorists v cyclists (on both sides).

- er….

Complaining about cyclists as a motorist is just pure selfishness. Motorists have all the cards. They are safe, warm, comfortable and fully in control of practically any outcome. The only thing they have to worry about are those few seconds they lose waiting for a safe place to pass.

But to say that cyclists can’t endanger a motorist is wrong. Sorry. "

A very rare case! X

Reply privately

By *ecadent_DevonMan
over a year ago

Okehampton

- er….

A very rare case! X"

Cyclists coming out of junctions, causing motorists to swerve to avoid them (and endangering others) isn’t that rare, nor is cyclists jumping red lights (again causing swerving).

Reply privately

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

- er….

A very rare case! X

Cyclists coming out of junctions, causing motorists to swerve to avoid them (and endangering others) isn’t that rare, nor is cyclists jumping red lights (again causing swerving). "

I meant in as a motorist coming of worse than a cyclist! Stands to reason with a heavy vehicle versus a vulnerable cyclist x

Reply privately

over a year ago

Reply privately

over a year ago

I don't think bad attitudes by cyclists is particularly rare. I have seen cyclists reach a red light, mount the pavement and bomb along it rather than wait for the green light. I've also seen cyclists ignore directions on one-way roads (even the Green party leader in Scotland got caught doing this, though he eventually admitted his guilt). I once saw a blind lady badly shaken up after her guide dog was hit by a fast traveling cyclist on the Clyde Walkway.

I understand most cyclists are not like this, just as most car drivers are not cycle hating psychos. But to suggest it's very rare I think is wrong.

Reply privately