Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Sports shops..

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

..today I went looking for a pair of trainers to play netball. Walked into a well known outlet. Mens and juniors section clearly displayed, 3 big signs with black background and bold white lettering. Visually draws the eye in. Takes up almost half the store.

Took ages to find the women's section.

Tucked away in a corner with one pale looking sign. Very small selection and no trainers.

What's that about?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icolerobbieCouple
over a year ago

walsall

"..today I went looking for a pair of trainers to play netball. Walked into a well known outlet. Mens and juniors section clearly displayed, 3 big signs with black background and bold white lettering. Visually draws the eye in. Takes up almost half the store.

Tucked away in a corner with one pale looking sign. Very small selection and no trainers.

What's that about?

"

Sounds like men are being exploited for their love of trainers

By *eah BabyCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

"..today I went looking for a pair of trainers to play netball. Walked into a well known outlet. Mens and juniors section clearly displayed, 3 big signs with black background and bold white lettering. Visually draws the eye in. Takes up almost half the store.

What's that about?

That sucks, I love my trainers, I’d of complained

"

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Shops aim their sales space at the market that makes the money. In many fashion outlets you find the opposite as women are the £s.

I think if you want decent sports gear you need to go to a proper traditional sports shop. However I do realise these are dying out in all but affluent towns (often with very nice schools that play all the sports). I know I used to have to travel a bit to get decent Rugby gear. But there is a real joy in a proper sports shop with staff who know what they are talking about. My last pair of running trainers where from a local running shop and they were excellent in finding the best ones for me.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

What's that about?

"

Maybe the men in your region have bad eyesight?

By *TK421-Man
over a year ago

Cheltenham

That's a bit crap tbh.

Took my running partner to get new shoes last week in Up And Running, was totally evenly displayed...

Sorry your experience was so...

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"

What's that about?

"

Being sneaky with the sneakers?

over a year ago

It works the other way around, go to a Primark ( or any high Street shop catering for men/women/children) the men's will be the smallest section of the store.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

"It works the other way around, go to a Primark ( or any high Street shop catering for men/women/children) the men's will be the smallest section of the store."

I think the clothes are smaller in the kids section to be fair

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Don't think it's a conspiracy. They just sell more kids and men's trainers. Everything doesn't have to be equal, just equitable.

By *ex HolesMan
over a year ago

Up North

Cause it’s been scientifically proven that women are rubbish at sport so therefore don’t need trainers or any other sports equipment

over a year ago

"It works the other way around, go to a Primark ( or any high Street shop catering for men/women/children) the men's will be the smallest section of the store.

I think the clothes are smaller in the kids section to be fair "

Give you that one

But it tends to be smaller than the women's... actually women are often fortunate enough to be able to shop in both the women and kids

over a year ago

It's to make up for the acres of shop floor space dedicated to women's fashion.

I've never understood why people believe shops should be beacons of gender neutrality. They're businesses whose only purpose is to make money. I suspect the lack of female trainers reflects the lack of customers who want female trainers. It isn't the shop you need to complain about, it's other women. Convince them to go trainer shopping more often and the shops will soon notice there's money to be made and you'll be falling over the ladies trainers every shop you go in.

That said, yes it is frustrating though it is significantly better than about 10 years ago. Outdoor clothing (proper stuff, not the I want to look outdoorsy and active in my insta/tinder pics stuff) is finally getting easier to find but this has only been because there is a market there now which barely existed before.

Try finding a shop that stocks a decent range of climbing shoes ...

Mr

over a year ago

"Cause it’s been scientifically proven that women are rubbish at sport so therefore don’t need trainers or any other sports equipment "

Cheek!

Bet I'd win in 100 metre sprint.

over a year ago

"It's to make up for the acres of shop floor space dedicated to women's fashion.

I've never understood why people believe shops should be beacons of gender neutrality. They're businesses whose only purpose is to make money. I suspect the lack of female trainers reflects the lack of customers who want female trainers. It isn't the shop you need to complain about, it's other women. Convince them to go trainer shopping more often and the shops will soon notice there's money to be made and you'll be falling over the ladies trainers every shop you go in.

That said, yes it is frustrating though it is significantly better than about 10 years ago. Outdoor clothing (proper stuff, not the I want to look outdoorsy and active in my insta/tinder pics stuff) is finally getting easier to find but this has only been because there is a market there now which barely existed before.

Mr"

It wasn't about believing the shop to be a beacon of gender neutrality. It was my belief that the same volume of women participate in sport as men.

over a year ago

What's that about?

"

I was shopping for a running top for my sister this Christmas and I must say there was way less choice than in previous years (yes I’m boring and buy people similar presents every year haha) and it was mostly fashion clothing rather than proper sports clothes. It was the same in every sports shop I went into as well so there must be a reason for it but I don’t know what it is. When I used to go to the gym, pre pandemic, it was usually a 50/50 mix of males and females and there were always more females in the exercise classes. It’s not the shops being sexist in any way though and purely a business decision, they probably spend a fortune researching their market and the best layout for their stores. I’m very surprised there weren’t any women’s trainers at all though....

The only reason I can possibly think is that maybe women are more inclined to shop online so the stores cater more for males and juniors....I have absolutely no evidence to back this up and it might be totally false but I’m just thinking of possible reasons...

over a year ago

"It was my belief that the same volume of women participate in sport as men. "

They don't.

It's better than it used to be but still not the same.

over a year ago

"Cause it’s been scientifically proven that women are rubbish at sport so therefore don’t need trainers or any other sports equipment

Cheek!

Bet I'd win in 100 metre sprint. "

You could take your revenge on the sports shop by shoplifting.

over a year ago

"It's to make up for the acres of shop floor space dedicated to women's fashion.

Mr"

Cotswolds?

By *ust RachelTV/TS
over a year ago

Horsham

Mr

It wasn't about believing the shop to be a beacon of gender neutrality. It was my belief that the same volume of women participate in sport as men.

"

Maybe the women are more selective of where they buy their trainers, I use one store as it has the biggest selection of size 13 trainers.

over a year ago

"It was my belief that the same volume of women participate in sport as men.

They don't.

"

Nicked this off the internet, published in October 2020......

• 26% of women are inactive (less than 30 minutes of physical activity each week) compared to 25% of men.

• 13% of women are fairly active (30-149 minutes of physical activity each week).

• 61% of women are active (doing 150+ minutes of physical activity each week) compared to 65% of men.

Looks like women have roughly the same need for sports clothing as men...

over a year ago

"Cause it’s been scientifically proven that women are rubbish at sport so therefore don’t need trainers or any other sports equipment

Cheek!

You could take your revenge on the sports shop by shoplifting."

I'll need a get away driver

over a year ago

Cheek!

I'll need a get away driver "

Get some trainers.

over a year ago

Cheek!

I'll need a get away driver "

If you had a decent pair of trainers you could just run away....

over a year ago

Mr

Maybe the women are more selective of where they buy their trainers, I use one store as it has the biggest selection of size 13 trainers."

Yes I think that might be it.

My team have just told me most of them shop in a specific local shop. Not the big well known places.

over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 22/01/22 19:42:18]

over a year ago

Cheek!

I'll need a get away driver

If you had a decent pair of trainers you could just run away...."

Their sneaky plans to stop me stealing their sneakers

over a year ago

Mr

Maybe the women are more selective of where they buy their trainers, I use one store as it has the biggest selection of size 13 trainers.

Yes I think that might be it.

My team have just told me most of them shop in a specific local shop. Not the big well known places. "

Support local businesses!!

over a year ago

They don't.

• 26% of women are inactive (less than 30 minutes of physical activity each week) compared to 25% of men.

• 13% of women are fairly active (30-149 minutes of physical activity each week).

• 61% of women are active (doing 150+ minutes of physical activity each week) compared to 65% of men.

Looks like women have roughly the same need for sports clothing as men..."

Thanks. Must be correct then

Nicked this off the internet:

There are two different ways that people wipe their butts! Some people remain sitting, while others stand up to the task.

A survey of 100 people, split equally between men and women. Polling them on their sit-or-stand preference, we found that 79% of respondents were sitters, and only 21% stand up to wipe.

over a year ago

They don't.

Looks like women have roughly the same need for sports clothing as men...

Thanks. Must be correct then

Nicked this off the internet:

There are two different ways that people wipe their butts! Some people remain sitting, while others stand up to the task.

A survey of 100 people, split equally between men and women. Polling them on their sit-or-stand preference, we found that 79% of respondents were sitters, and only 21% stand up to wipe. "

Me and my mates discussed this once and out of the group only one stood up to wipe and the rest remained seated so those stats sound about right.

over a year ago

But you look at the choice of sports clothing for women and there is a huge range compared to mens

over a year ago

"Me and my mates discussed this once and out of the group only one stood up to wipe and the rest remained seated so those stats sound about right. "

over a year ago

"But you look at the choice of sports clothing for women and there is a huge range compared to mens"

They have more bits to clothe.

over a year ago

"But you look at the choice of sports clothing for women and there is a huge range compared to mens

"

In what way do they have more bits to clothe? Just because men don’t have boobs, in my experience, they still wear a top when exercising....

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Just buy the trainers labelled as "men's". There's no difference. I wear size 8 and most "women's" styles stop at a size 7. I've worn men's trainers since I was about 14.

over a year ago

"But you look at the choice of sports clothing for women and there is a huge range compared to mens

In what way do they have more bits to clothe? Just because men don’t have boobs, in my experience, they still wear a top when exercising...."

In your desperation to have a dick measuring contest on a sex forum you seem to have misread that I was referring to women wearing more clothes, because yeah in my experience women have boobs too

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"But you look at the choice of sports clothing for women and there is a huge range compared to mens"

Eh?!?! My experience of women's "sports" clothing is that much of it is just for fashion. Sports bras for massive knockers are either impossible to find or cost the earth. Women with a bit of chub probably don't want tiny crop tops or similar. Most of the stuff in JD Sports doesn't go above a dress size 14 or so and that's pretty typical. Finding practical and comfortable sportswear if you have big boobs and a belly and are dress size 16+ is nigh on impossible. I recycle the same garments over and over and have the washer on constantly. I gave up looking for sweat wicking tops that weren't skin tight and made me resemble the Michelin man.

Post new Message to Thread