Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Strike culture of the 70s and 80s

Jump to newest

By *tarburst babydoll OP   Man
over a year ago

Dingwall

Last night at work I was talking about this with a customer and got me thinking of the only time I was on strike.

I was 14 years old and a lot of the girls went on strike at school, refusing to go to classes over not being allowed to wear trousers.

I remember the hubby being on strike from work for about 2 months over the firm withdrawing orange juice from the tearooms.

Have you ever been on strike for a reason other than pay and what was it?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Striking over no orange juice is an affront to the struggle for better pay and conditions.

Unfortunately many old union members helped pave the way for hard line Thatcherite policies.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

Went on strike at school once over racist teachers. Never at work, I think direct action has a valid place , particularly low paid private sector workers these days abs in the past but the unions and particularly transport , teachers, doctors have really fucked it up for them making it political.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Striking over no orange juice is an affront to the struggle for better pay and conditions.

Unfortunately many old union members helped pave the way for hard line Thatcherite policies."

I disagree, taking direct action when people refuse to listen is solidarity to them not an affront

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

Never been on strike and never been in a Union.

There were politically motivated strikes across the country in the mid 80s which involved roadblocks and vehicle hijacking and avoiding those was my only experience with strikes.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Went on strike at school once over racist teachers. Never at work, I think direct action has a valid place , particularly low paid private sector workers these days abs in the past but the unions and particularly transport , teachers, doctors have really fucked it up for them making it political. "

Why have doctors fucked it up?

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"Went on strike at school once over racist teachers. Never at work, I think direct action has a valid place , particularly low paid private sector workers these days abs in the past but the unions and particularly transport , teachers, doctors have really fucked it up for them making it political.

Why have doctors fucked it up? "

Junior doctors went on strike a while ago over pay/pensions, as with teachers. Expecting sympathy from the public who can’t strike while hurting them at the sane time

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Striking over no orange juice is an affront to the struggle for better pay and conditions.

Unfortunately many old union members helped pave the way for hard line Thatcherite policies.

I disagree, taking direct action when people refuse to listen is solidarity to them not an affront "

I can’t see the point in thinking solidarity is all important. Many of the rousers I’ve worked with were pathetic in their gripes and never saw how good they actually had it.

To go on strike over their moans would have been stupid.

By *andemanMan
over a year ago

bedforshire

1st. Anyone can join a Union its a protected right so the public can go on strike and frankly about time they did!

2nd. When the Public(ie you) who Doctors and Teachers and transport workers serve Demand that these workers are treated and paid fairly, then perhaps they will have no need to strike.

3rd. Public sector workers have seen their pay fall so far that many need foodbanks and claim the in work benefits that some work to process.

Striking over orange juice is barking. Striking because you need to use a foodbank to feed your kids is not!

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I disagree, taking direct action when people refuse to listen is solidarity to them not an affront "

I agree with your sentiment, for important things. But although we have limited info here, removing free orange juice resulting in a 2 month strike seems trivial and the sort of action that makes genuine causes harder to be taken seriously. I’d genuinely like to know more details on juice-gate though, and how it was resolved…

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

"Went on strike at school once over racist teachers. Never at work, I think direct action has a valid place , particularly low paid private sector workers these days abs in the past but the unions and particularly transport , teachers, doctors have really fucked it up for them making it political.

Junior doctors went on strike a while ago over pay/pensions, as with teachers. Expecting sympathy from the public who can’t strike while hurting them at the sane time

"

The doctors strike was a farce, didn't have any effect at all

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

"1st. Anyone can join a Union its a protected right so the public can go on strike and frankly about time they did!

2nd. When the Public(ie you) who Doctors and Teachers and transport workers serve Demand that these workers are treated and paid fairly, then perhaps they will have no need to strike.

3rd. Public sector workers have seen their pay fall so far that many need foodbanks and claim the in work benefits that some work to process.

Striking over orange juice is barking. Striking because you need to use a foodbank to feed your kids is not! "

The Drs strike was a farce, the wards were covered and it was very limited anyway.

over a year ago

Dingwall

Unfortunately many old union members helped pave the way for hard line Thatcherite policies."

I have asked the hubby about it. It was quite a famous strike being on the news all the time. It was at Nigg oilrig yard and where they were working on the legs of the rig it was so hot even before welding started. The company provided orange juice and salt tablets for the workers but as time went on the juice was getting more and more diluted until it was nearly water they were drinking.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I went on strike over changes to my pension

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

We went out when Boris tried to rip up our contract of employment, because he couldn't bully us..

He backed off..

over a year ago

Dingwall

I disagree, taking direct action when people refuse to listen is solidarity to them not an affront

I agree with your sentiment, for important things. But although we have limited info here, removing free orange juice resulting in a 2 month strike seems trivial and the sort of action that makes genuine causes harder to be taken seriously. I’d genuinely like to know more details on juice-gate though, and how it was resolved…"

It was reinstated as far as I can remember. It was well publicised at the time so I am sure there may be a bit about it online. Try searching Barmac Nigg orange juice strike.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

I work in a great job. Great T&Cs, safety, great wages and awesome pensions. I never have to worry about being sick or having to deal with life's little emergencies and not getting pay. Why? Because we have a powerful trade union and we are all members and stand together. We don't let the company chip away at things slowly. It may look like we are kicking off over small things but letting small things slide is the road to losing the big things down the road. Pretty much everything the company does has to go through the union so we know that any changes are reasonable from a business point of view but also for the employees. It's our union and solidarity that makes the job a great job.

It saddens me the poor state of the working conditions and pay in so many jobs. And how weak a position people are in to make a change due to current working conditions and lack of unionisation. This is why they need to unionise. My job is great not because our employer benevolently gave us all these great things (which I believe should be standard). No they were fought for and protected by our union and the members who have gone before me. Many of my predecessors and their families have gone without food, heat and essentials fighting for what make my job so great. And I will be dammed before I lose what has been won at great cost by them. And this is why I will support anyone fighting to improve their working situation.

By *odyandsoul87Man
over a year ago

Leicester

I've only ever voted for industrial action once in my life, got a 5% pay rise out of it (at a certain miserly automotive plant in the South-East), the ballot exceeded the threshold.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

"I work in a great job. Great T&Cs, safety, great wages and awesome pensions. I never have to worry about being sick or having to deal with life's little emergencies and not getting pay. Why? Because we have a powerful trade union and we are all members and stand together. We don't let the company chip away at things slowly. It may look like we are kicking off over small things but letting small things slide is the road to losing the big things down the road. Pretty much everything the company does has to go through the union so we know that any changes are reasonable from a business point of view but also for the employees. It's our union and solidarity that makes the job a great job.

It saddens me the poor state of the working conditions and pay in so many jobs. And how weak a position people are in to make a change due to current working conditions and lack of unionisation. This is why they need to unionise. My job is great not because our employer benevolently gave us all these great things (which I believe should be standard). No they were fought for and protected by our union and the members who have gone before me. Many of my predecessors and their families have gone without food, heat and essentials fighting for what make my job so great. And I will be dammed before I lose what has been won at great cost by them. And this is why I will support anyone fighting to improve their working situation."

Well said..

By *ustamanMan
over a year ago

weymouth

Being self employed for most of my working life my beefs have useally been with government policy, striking would have hurt the wrong people - protest however...............

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I think it's trivial and makes a mockery of those that strike for such things BUT i'd have to know what agreement was broken in refusing the orange juice before I came down one side or the other. It's the breaking of agreements that should be fought over NOT orange juice.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Does anyone think striking is an easy option? Losing pay when you have bills, rents/mortgages, a family to support and you can barely afford that normally. It's not about orange juice. People wouldn't deprived them selves for orange juice. It's about showing the employer that they can't just break agreements, they can't just take things away and do what they like for their benifit over the welfare of the employees. Where this has happened unchecked it has continued to happen. Hense why so many peoples T&Cs, wages and pensions are now so poor and constantly being degraded. I also suspect there was other issues boiling in the background regards the relationship between employer and employees in this case.

By *andemanMan
over a year ago

bedforshire

"I work in a great job. Great T&Cs, safety, great wages and awesome pensions. I never have to worry about being sick or having to deal with life's little emergencies and not getting pay. Why? Because we have a powerful trade union and we are all members and stand together. We don't let the company chip away at things slowly. It may look like we are kicking off over small things but letting small things slide is the road to losing the big things down the road. Pretty much everything the company does has to go through the union so we know that any changes are reasonable from a business point of view but also for the employees. It's our union and solidarity that makes the job a great job.

It saddens me the poor state of the working conditions and pay in so many jobs. And how weak a position people are in to make a change due to current working conditions and lack of unionisation. This is why they need to unionise. My job is great not because our employer benevolently gave us all these great things (which I believe should be standard). No they were fought for and protected by our union and the members who have gone before me. Many of my predecessors and their families have gone without food, heat and essentials fighting for what make my job so great. And I will be dammed before I lose what has been won at great cost by them. And this is why I will support anyone fighting to improve their working situation."

Solidarity friend.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"

Junior doctors went on strike over proposed changes to terms and conditions that were spreading them too thinly and they felt was a patient safety issue.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

The doctors strike was a farce, didn't have any effect at all"

It did though. They agreed on a middle ground.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"1st. Anyone can join a Union its a protected right so the public can go on strike and frankly about time they did!

Striking over orange juice is barking. Striking because you need to use a foodbank to feed your kids is not!

The Drs strike was a farce, the wards were covered and it was very limited anyway. "

They're always going to ensure there's adequate cover on wards as they're professionals that protect patient safety at all times. The strikes were over changes to planned elective activity which had to be suspended during the strikes.

By *andemanMan
over a year ago

bedforshire

Fire fighters Union FBU have a simple policy. When on strike domestic properties or where there are trapped people they cross their own picketline to act.

Commercial property with no lives at risk, Burn baby Burn!

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I've never been on strike. I work in education and fortunately avoided the industrial action that colleagues were involved in. I personally would not want to strike because I don't want to negatively impact my students.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

The Drs strike was a farce, the wards were covered and it was very limited anyway.

They're always going to ensure there's adequate cover on wards as they're professionals that protect patient safety at all times. "

This is one of the reasons they shouldn’t and can’t strike. It’s very different if you work for a private company , your labour makes shareholders rich, but doctors, teachers work for us and their argument is with the government who we elect , it’s an impossible situation. That’s why they have stronger unions , so they can keep out of politics

By *andemanMan
over a year ago

bedforshire

They're always going to ensure there's adequate cover on wards as they're professionals that protect patient safety at all times.

This is one of the reasons they shouldn’t and can’t strike. It’s very different if you work for a private company , your labour makes shareholders rich, but doctors, teachers work for us and their argument is with the government who we elect , it’s an impossible situation. That’s why they have stronger unions , so they can keep out of politics "

How can the Unions stay out of Politics? How do laws get changed magic?

Issues like working times,sick pay, Health and Safety law, anti-discrimination law and laws curtailing union rights are all POLITICAL. Unions Do Not go on strike willy nilly anymore. Public sector Unions even less so. If its bad enough to strike than its BAD.

By *oah VailMan
over a year ago

Dover

I’m a staunch trades unionist, like the poster above, whose pay, Ts&Cs, and working environment are a direct result of past union actions and present union negotiations.

One of the things to be aware of when making a decision about the validity of another group or individual’s industrial action is the source of your information and the bias from which it’s presented. The press in this country has a nasty habit of infantilising industrial disputes, to infer the participants are holding innocents to ransom for juvenile reasons. I have no doubt that the orange juice dispute was more about removing refreshment facilities in arduous conditions, and the effects of that putting workers at risk, than it was about treats at teatime. Much like railway disputes aren’t about who presses buttons, teachers disputes aren’t about free stationary etc etc.

By *onderingpurposeMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I have been on strike and I would never cross a picket line. Simple as that.

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I have asked the hubby about it. It was quite a famous strike being on the news all the time. It was at Nigg oilrig yard and where they were working on the legs of the rig it was so hot even before welding started. The company provided orange juice and salt tablets for the workers but as time went on the juice was getting more and more diluted until it was nearly water they were drinking. "

Couldn’t they have taken their own bottled water to work. It’s a very popular thing to do?

By *enuineCoupleCheshireBBWCouple
over a year ago

Cheshire

I suggest unless you lived through power cuts three day weeks the Thatcher years you avoid mentioning reasons behind the 70 and eighties strikes the working conditions and rights you have today in the work place were forged by those taking action that was needed in reform in the work place

However the labour government introduction of zero hours contracts etc fucked all that right out of the window thanks Tony and John for that oh I'm not a Tory either they are all picket lining shiesters dont forget it

By *eavenNhellCouple
over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

can remember being offered a 6.5% pay rise whilst inflation was at 7% a deliberate tactic by the govt to get us to strike so thatcher could attempt to break our union ready to privatise us .backfired massively when we got a hell of a lot of support from the general public eventually got 7.5% with no changes to conditions iirc we were out for three separate days . came out on strike several times after during the 80s and 90s over pay and conditions won every time . was comical how many of the anti union nay sayers were quick to join up just before a strike was called

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"can remember being offered a 6.5% pay rise whilst inflation was at 7% a deliberate tactic by the govt to get us to strike so thatcher could attempt to break our union ready to privatise us .backfired massively when we got a hell of a lot of support from the general public eventually got 7.5% with no changes to conditions iirc we were out for three separate days . came out on strike several times after during the 80s and 90s over pay and conditions won every time . was comical how many of the anti union nay sayers were quick to join up just before a strike was called

"

Inflation is currently over 5% and our Jan pay rise is 3%. Last year it was 2%. No-one has even contemplated complaining about it because we're lucky the business has survived this far.

By *andemanMan
over a year ago

bedforshire

"I have been on strike and I would never cross a picket line. Simple as that."

Solidarity for Ever brother.

over a year ago

"I have been on strike and I would never cross a picket line. Simple as that."

I’ve not been on strike but part of a union.

Don’t think I’d cross a picket line unless things became desperate for my family (financially).

To the person who brought up about the JR doctors strike, and having no effect as the wards were covered:

That was the point. Any health care professional will tell you that putting the lives of those they care for in danger is wrong and abhorrent. It was ensured that the wards would be safe, if understaffed, before any doctor went on strike.

Frequently nurses stepped up to cover the slack (I know, no change there right?!) and registrars and consultants took on work below their pay grade to cover the gaps. Not because any of them had to, but as a show of support and solidarity to their colleagues.

over a year ago

I have been on strike and it's no bed of roses, weeks without money with a young family to support and a mortgage to pay almost wiped us out, god knows how the miners survived. I also manned the picket line for all the good it did.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

They're always going to ensure there's adequate cover on wards as they're professionals that protect patient safety at all times.

This is one of the reasons they shouldn’t and can’t strike. It’s very different if you work for a private company , your labour makes shareholders rich, but doctors, teachers work for us and their argument is with the government who we elect , it’s an impossible situation. That’s why they have stronger unions , so they can keep out of politics "

The government is supposed to work for us but they often don't operate in the best interests of the public.

It's impossible to keep out of politics. Politics effect our lives every day. Politics effects your pay, your rights, your access to healthcare, the cost of everything you buy, the laws you follow, etc. You're involved in politics in almost everything you do. The only way it can feel you can stay out of it is if you're able to easily go on with the current political choices. Even being able to have a union is a political issue.

By *errynjuneCouple
over a year ago

Barnsley

"I have been on strike and it's no bed of roses, weeks without money with a young family to support and a mortgage to pay almost wiped us out, god knows how the miners survived. I also manned the picket line for all the good it did."

We struggled lol, and was a long time before we got back on an even keel.

I also went picketing, although not always possible since we were not allowed to travel anywhere. Stopped by police and sent back.

Ironically I would not now be in favour of burning fossil fuels, as it's part of the global disaster we are hurtling towards.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

This is one of the reasons they shouldn’t and can’t strike. It’s very different if you work for a private company , your labour makes shareholders rich, but doctors, teachers work for us and their argument is with the government who we elect , it’s an impossible situation. That’s why they have stronger unions , so they can keep out of politics

Issues like working times,sick pay, Health and Safety law, anti-discrimination law and laws curtailing union rights are all POLITICAL. Unions Do Not go on strike willy nilly anymore. Public sector Unions even less so. If its bad enough to strike than its BAD."

I didn’t say Unions should stay out of politics, I’m taking about teachers, doctors etc. They have the strongest unions to negotiate for them. Teachers and doctors should stay out of politics is what I said.

If you want to teach kids or save peoples lives be a teacher or doctor , do it properly, knowing that the elected government decide the policy. If you want to be a politician, union negotiator or lawmaker do that.

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Issues like working times,sick pay, Health and Safety law, anti-discrimination law and laws curtailing union rights are all POLITICAL. Unions Do Not go on strike willy nilly anymore. Public sector Unions even less so. If its bad enough to strike than its BAD.

I didn’t say Unions should stay out of politics, I’m taking about teachers, doctors etc. They have the strongest unions to negotiate for them. Teachers and doctors should stay out of politics is what I said.

If you want to teach kids or save peoples lives be a teacher or doctor , do it properly, knowing that the elected government decide the policy. If you want to be a politician, union negotiator or lawmaker do that. "

Joining a union is politics. The ability to join a union is politics. The BMA is run by doctors and the local representatives are doctors who are elected members of the union. If doctors stay out of politics, there is no union. Its exactly the same with nurses. There will be a nurse who works within the hospital who is the RCN representative. They can also become Unison representatives. They're not a separate entity.

By *andemanMan
over a year ago

bedforshire

"I have been on strike and it's no bed of roses, weeks without money with a young family to support and a mortgage to pay almost wiped us out, god knows how the miners survived. I also manned the picket line for all the good it did."

I do not know you, yet I am proud to call you brother.

In the words of the Late Great Bob Crow, " If you fight you have no Guaranteed of victory,

if you do not fight you are guaranteed defeat!"

Solidarity for ever brother!

By *ove2pleaseseukMan
over a year ago

Hastings

We kind of had a strike at school but was more of a protest. We where not alowed in school lunch times if it was wet.

So about 300 of us went and sat in the flooded tenis courts then as the bell went for the end of brake all ruched back in to class.

Wow what a mess we made the hallways where like skating rinks and everyone was sent home. I did get a clip round the ear from dad he was not impressed.

Post new Message to Thread