Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

I can’t help but feel a tiny bit sad. :(

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I’ve just got back in, from a near 6 mile around my little town. I must have encountered a dozen other folk out and about. Not a single one acknowledged the polite “good afternoon” greetings I offered. It made me feel quite down by the time I’d finished.

Do others have similar experiences where they live/walk.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

No. Round here, it's pretty standard to say hi or morning etc, especially if obviously out for a stroll. I went to B&M at lunchtime to buy stuff for my students and people were doing the whole "hello" thing. The checkout lady was very keen to find out about why I was buying a seemingly random bunch of stuff

By *ancer36Woman
over a year ago

Stirling

Everyone is really friendly in my little town, I always greet people with a good morning/afternoon when out walking - never experienced a lack of response! I just thought it was a done thing xx

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Maybe they're just having a glum day. Don't take it personally.

And hi, afternoon from me

By *ecorumtvTV/TS
over a year ago

Ayr

depends on how busy it is. Once you get above a certain number of people, you stop greeting. Don't want to be like Crocodile Dundee in NYC! That said, I always am proactive about it as it could make a lonely person's day if someone says hello to them or chats...

over a year ago

Must just be the misery around where I live

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

In the streets around our house people mostly acknowledge my greetings but once I get into town there are too many people to speak to each one.

I like the custom in France where people greet each other in restaurants. It doesn't happen here. We make a point of greeting people in hotel dining rooms though, the response varies from frosty silence to full on offers of lifelong friendship and even once an elderly man showing us 40 year old pictures of his very beautiful (deceased) wife and crying. Poor chap.

By *enm83Man
over a year ago

Stockport

If you go running like I do, runners occasionally nod their heads at each other as you pass in the opposite direction, even if you don't know each other!

See also bus drivers.

By *tephTV67TV/TS
over a year ago

Cheshire

I do this all the time, admittedly I do shock a few as I normally have my earphones in. I’d say around here it’s 50/50 whether or not you get an ‘afternoon’ or ‘morning’ response. Some don’t answer but smile at you.

On a long walk down by the river a few Saturdays ago I counted 15 responses from 24 different people or couples. These are spoken responses I did get smiles or nods from other people.

From my basic research if they’re over 50, in walking gear and a couple you’re almost guaranteed a response.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I was once helping my elderly mum through a and e and another woman around my age was doing the same thing with her mum. We acknowledged each other and a look of understanding that said more than a thousand words passed between us

over a year ago

"Maybe they're just having a glum day. Don't take it personally.

And hi, afternoon from me "

Hello back at ya.

By *rTongueMan
over a year ago

As sad as it sounds I always say hello when walking last people.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

I think it depends where. People walking in the countryside usually acknowledge you and say hello and sometimes a little more, mostly about the weather. In towns or cities less so. I usually strike a conversation in most shops and such like whether they like it or not

By *egoMan
over a year ago

Preston

I don’t like it when people greet me really.

I’m out and about to forget myself, disappearing into my own world.

I’ll try to respond, a nearly inaudible ‘hi’ or similar back or a smile at least if I noticed.

But would be perfectly content if I didn’t have the surprise integration thrust upon me.

over a year ago

We did a 5 mile walk this morning to collect my car from the garage. I'm an antisocial bugger so tarot say anything unless I catch someone's eye but her ladyship tends to be more chatty. All bar two of her good mornings were ignored though one guy did appear to speciation her legs in her leggings - understandable I know

Mr

over a year ago

"We did a 5 mile walk this morning to collect my car from the garage. I'm an antisocial bugger so tarot say anything unless I catch someone's eye but her ladyship tends to be more chatty. All bar two of her good mornings were ignored though one guy did appear to speciation her legs in her leggings - understandable I know

Mr"

Ffs proof read man

Tend not tarot

Appreciate not speciation

Mr

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

It's pretty friendly around here. It's usually me that says something and if I've got my puppy with me everyone wants to talk to me. He's a furry little magnet

over a year ago

On the plus side, I’ve just cracked 3 eggs for a lunchtime omelette, and got a double yolker. Get in!

over a year ago

"On the plus side, I’ve just cracked 3 eggs for a lunchtime omelette, and got a double yolker. Get in! "

Yay - happy days

And good afternoon OP xxx

By *orruptionandliesMan
over a year ago

leeds

I always make a point of saying hello or good morning especially when out with the dog. Some even reply, I just find it makes me feel a little bit nicer which makes me even more narcissistic

over a year ago

"I don’t like it when people greet me really.

I’m out and about to forget myself, disappearing into my own world.

I’ll try to respond, a nearly inaudible ‘hi’ or similar back or a smile at least if I noticed.

But would be perfectly content if I didn’t have the surprise integration thrust upon me. "

I'm like this. I do a circular 7.5mile walk. It's along the coast in a quiet town so luckily I don't come across many people. 1 or 2,if that and sometimes all I can muster is a 0.01 second smile

over a year ago

On a walk I tend to avoid areas that are overly peopley, if I want randoms saying hello to me I’ll paint the garden fence or wash the car although If I have come upon someone on a walk I will smile and nod hello as I pass

over a year ago

"On the plus side, I’ve just cracked 3 eggs for a lunchtime omelette, and got a double yolker. Get in!

Yay - happy days

And good afternoon OP xxx"

Good afternoon.

over a year ago

People do acknowledge others round here. Not so much a hello or a nod of the head, more of a snatch your handbag or phone met with an "Oi, ya bastard".

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"On the plus side, I’ve just cracked 3 eggs for a lunchtime omelette, and got a double yolker. Get in!

Yay - happy days

And good afternoon OP xxx

Good afternoon.

"

I am sure I have come across some eggs called 'Happy eggs'. I wonder if they all have double yolk

over a year ago

"We did a 5 mile walk this morning to collect my car from the garage. I'm an antisocial bugger so tarot say anything unless I catch someone's eye but her ladyship tends to be more chatty. All bar two of her good mornings were ignored though one guy did appear to speciation her legs in her leggings - understandable I know

Mr

Ffs proof read man

Tend not tarot

Appreciate not speciation

Mr"

I like to acknowledge people and greet them as we pass. The area where we went this morning I think the people were in a hurry or were preoccupied in getting to where they needed to be. Whereas the majority of people we usually see are also out for walks, runs, walking dogs etc and maybe they are also enjoying being outdoors.

But yes I do like to receive greetings or friendly acknowledgement from people when I am out walking or running... although I didn't notice the guy checking out my legs until you told me.

NBVN x

over a year ago

Were you chasing after them shouting hello? Some people don't like that

over a year ago

Here in my little village above Cannes . Its the norm to say hello etc . But then it's the done thing here in France. If you don't greet people you see, it's considered bad manners

over a year ago

"Were you chasing after them shouting hello? Some people don't like that "

By *he Mac LassWoman
over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

Where I live it’s very much normal to give a nod or a hullo when you pass someone. I often have the dog with me and that makes people even more likely to say hullo. On the usual dog walk though they will also say hi to Bernard directly

over a year ago

My wife laughs at me for saying hello to people as we pass by, as many of them are too ignorant to respond

It’s just good manners

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

The time of year dosnt help it's grey outside cold and we're all broke from Xmas

That said I live in a lovely area where I see neighbours on a regular basis and always say hello and stop for a chat

By *he love catsCouple
over a year ago

South Wales

Everyone says hi around the Valleys, problem is when you are in a rush it can also be a hindrance, though I wouldn't change it. Xx

over a year ago

Sending you a wave from a very chilly Edinburgh x

over a year ago

"Sending you a wave from a very chilly Edinburgh x"

Thank you lovely xx

We need a wave emoji on here.

over a year ago

"Sending you a wave from a very chilly Edinburgh x

Thank you lovely xx

We need a wave emoji on here. "

Totally!

Walking my dog is a good way of chatting to people locally. Even if it is because he’s being a wee shit

over a year ago

"I’ve just got back in, from a near 6 mile around my little town. I must have encountered a dozen other folk out and about. Not a single one acknowledged the polite “good afternoon” greetings I offered. It made me feel quite down by the time I’d finished.

Do others have similar experiences where they live/walk."

Good afternoon.

*tips hat*

over a year ago

Thank you lovely xx

Totally!

Walking my dog is a good way of chatting to people locally. Even if it is because he’s being a wee shit "

Being a wee shit, or just dropped one?

over a year ago

"I’ve just got back in, from a near 6 mile around my little town. I must have encountered a dozen other folk out and about. Not a single one acknowledged the polite “good afternoon” greetings I offered. It made me feel quite down by the time I’d finished.

Do others have similar experiences where they live/walk.

Good afternoon.

*tips hat*"

*tips woolly hat*

Top of the afternoon to you fine sir.

over a year ago

Thank you lovely xx

Totally!

Walking my dog is a good way of chatting to people locally. Even if it is because he’s being a wee shit

Being a wee shit, or just dropped one? "

Both, ha ha!

over a year ago

Maybe I’ll lend next door neighbours spaniel for a walk. Seems that pooch walking induces more response.

over a year ago

Where I am everyone says hi or does the awkward head nod...

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Honestly, I'd find it weird if someone I didn't know randomly said Good Afternoon to me and I'm sure they would feel the same if I said it to them. But then maybe I'm just asocial

over a year ago

No. I don't like people

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

I'm in London, there are just too many people to greet everyone. In my local streets it's a nod, or a chat.

However, there is sometimes a 'policing' of women if we don't respond as demanded by a man greeting us. I came across the same man twice on my walk around the park and felt I had to change my route to prevent him finding out where I live. All because I didn't smile the second time he greeted me, as he pointed out, and tried to start a conversation by following me.

Really, don't take it personally if someone chooses to ignore you. You don't know what stuff is going on for them.

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

Ohhh that is awful OP. I can walk down my local high street and I would say 90% of the people I smile and say hello do the same back to me.

It's a country town though and I do think people have a different mindset.

If I went to my local village I would say it's 99% of people. Some people will stop and have a conversation for a minute, especially the older generation, and I think that's lovely.

over a year ago

"I'm in London, there are just too many people to greet everyone. In my local streets it's a nod, or a chat.

However, there is sometimes a 'policing' of women if we don't respond as demanded by a man greeting us. I came across the same man twice on my walk around the park and felt I had to change my route to prevent him finding out where I live. All because I didn't smile the second time he greeted me, as he pointed out, and tried to start a conversation by following me.

Really, don't take it personally if someone chooses to ignore you. You don't know what stuff is going on for them.

"

I didn’t take it personally.

I was curious if others had experienced similar.

over a year ago

When I'm out for a walk and people pass by with their dogs, they tend to say hello more than just a lone person. Dog walkers are very friendly where I am x

By *icketysplitsWoman
over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"I'm in London, there are just too many people to greet everyone. In my local streets it's a nod, or a chat.

I didn’t take it personally.

I was curious if others had experienced similar. "

It was a universal you, not a personal comment on your experience.

over a year ago

People chat round here in the local shop sometimes or in the park. Maybe sometimes on school run but that's about it, once you get nearer to the high street it's too busy.

Where my mum lives is different, nearly everyone says hello at least, can take an age to get anywhere.

By *ady LickWoman
over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"When I'm out for a walk and people pass by with their dogs, they tend to say hello more than just a lone person. Dog walkers are very friendly where I am x"

When we got our dog it opened up a whole new world!

over a year ago

"When I'm out for a walk and people pass by with their dogs, they tend to say hello more than just a lone person. Dog walkers are very friendly where I am x

When we got our dog it opened up a whole new world!"

Hello x

Post new Message to Thread