FabSwingers.com mobile

Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Serious post (for a change) injury advice.

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Gents (and ladies).

I’ve an old and ongoing hip flexor issue that has decided to flare up.

Need some advice that doesn’t involve any physio or medical intervention.

Anybody had a similar issue?

I do whatever stretches I can both before and after phys. It used to be limited to after football but now it’s crept in to bog standard steady state running.

I ice it. (Not pleasant in the groin).

If anybody has experience with a similar issue any advice would be appreciated.

More stretches, exercises etc.

Rest isn’t an option unfortunately.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

what is it that aggravates it?

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman
over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I only use my hip flexor for brandy.

over a year ago

"what is it that aggravates it?"

Right now, life.

Literally everything.

Driving, walking, sitting, running.

Ideally I need targeted stretching/exercises so somebody that’s had a similar injury will hopefully have some ideas.

over a year ago

"I only use my hip flexor for brandy. "

That’s fair.

Could also be a fix, I’ll try it.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Hey you, hope you're not too uncomfortable. I've no advice on exercises etc but have you tried ibuprofen gel for when it flares up?

I damaged my hip from running and it was the only thing that offered any relief xx

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

I have massive issues with my hip flexors but I don't think my advice will help. I walk with crutches and use a wheelchair. I don't "rest" but instead, use my shoulders to move instead of legs.

I have to lift my legs into the car because I can't use my hip flexors to pick my leg up and swing it into the car. There's gizmos you can buy to help with that...

I really don't know what to suggest

over a year ago

"Hey you, hope you're not too uncomfortable. I've no advice on exercises etc but have you tried ibuprofen gel for when it flares up?

I damaged my hip from running and it was the only thing that offered any relief xx"

I use ibuprofen gel when it’s really bad yeah.

And both deep heat and ice spray (not together).

I can lessen the pain but it’s seemingly getting worse.

my lifestyle doesn’t particularly help but that’s not something I can fix.

So stretches and exercises.

over a year ago

"I have massive issues with my hip flexors but I don't think my advice will help. I walk with crutches and use a wheelchair. I don't "rest" but instead, use my shoulders to move instead of legs.

I have to lift my legs into the car because I can't use my hip flexors to pick my leg up and swing it into the car. There's gizmos you can buy to help with that...

I really don't know what to suggest "

That’s ok, appreciate it nonetheless.

I’ll practice walking on my hands though, this could help.

over a year ago

evesham

"what is it that aggravates it?

Right now, life.

Literally everything.

Ideally I need targeted stretching/exercises so somebody that’s had a similar injury will hopefully have some ideas. "

we do hip flexor stretches in prehab at the gym i go to. you need a box or something to rest your foot on behind you as you kneel on that knee. your other leg has the foot on the floor with the knee at a right angle in front of you. raise the arm on the same side as the foot on the box then gently lean back until you feel a stretch in our hip flexor. dont hold the stretch by lean back and forward 20 times. repeat on the other leg.

some of the problem can also come from tight glutes so some glute stretches could also help. pigeon pose in yoga is good. again we do something similar in prehab on a tall box. stand close to the box and rest one leg on top with the knee bent at 90 degrees across your body. reach over with the opposite hand 15 times, then reach forward with both hands 15 times, swap and repeat.

explaining stretches in words i hard!!

over a year ago

"what is it that aggravates it?

Right now, life.

Literally everything.

Ideally I need targeted stretching/exercises so somebody that’s had a similar injury will hopefully have some ideas.

we do hip flexor stretches in prehab at the gym i go to. you need a box or something to rest your foot on behind you as you kneel on that knee. your other leg has the foot on the floor with the knee at a right angle in front of you. raise the arm on the same side as the foot on the box then gently lean back until you feel a stretch in our hip flexor. dont hold the stretch by lean back and forward 20 times. repeat on the other leg.

some of the problem can also come from tight glutes so some glute stretches could also help. pigeon pose in yoga is good. again we do something similar in prehab on a tall box. stand close to the box and rest one leg on top with the knee bent at 90 degrees across your body. reach over with the opposite hand 15 times, then reach forward with both hands 15 times, swap and repeat.

explaining stretches in words i hard!!"

Appreciate it, thanks.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I’m gonna reword this is a way that hopefully helps

“I’ve got a car problem, looking for ways to fix it without seeing a mechanic”

Health is wealth. Go see a physio. The hip is one of the most complex joints on the body. This could be any number of things and any advice given on here is just a guess.

Even advice given on here by a trained professional would be half a guess without a physical examination

Go see a physio

over a year ago

"Gents (and ladies).

I’ve an old and ongoing hip flexor issue that has decided to flare up.

Need some advice that doesn’t involve any physio or medical intervention.

Anybody had a similar issue?

I do whatever stretches I can both before and after phys. It used to be limited to after football but now it’s crept in to bog standard steady state running.

I ice it. (Not pleasant in the groin).

If anybody has experience with a similar issue any advice would be appreciated.

More stretches, exercises etc.

Rest isn’t an option unfortunately."

Stop icing it, and try heat instead. Also take a good joint supplement like Cortaflex for humans. Can be found on the Cortaflex site just Google.

Icing is for swollen joints (& cakes), heat is for soft tissue. Paracetamol can be taken for pain as can something like co-codamol but you’ll need a script for that. Or try neurofen.

Why don’t you want medical intervention ?

I have an advanced first aid cert which doesn’t mean I can give advice but having broken my hip 28 years ago and having issues since then including a total hip replacement and common sense. If none of that works see a doctor!

over a year ago

"I’m gonna reword this is a way that hopefully helps

Health is wealth. Go see a physio. The hip is one of the most complex joints on the body. This could be any number of things and any advice given on here is just a guess.

Even advice given on here by a trained professional would be half a guess without a physical examination

Go see a physio "

I appreciate it, I’m not not seeing a physio because I can’t be arsed.

I physically can’t because of geography currently.

So any advice on targeted stretches/exercise from people with similar experience is for me to try in the meantime until such time I can.

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Go see a physio

So any advice on targeted stretches/exercise from people with similar experience is for me to try in the meantime until such time I can."

Well just he aware that this advice could be making it worse

A compression _ased tendinopathy would be made worse with hip flexor stretches

This is why I suggest you see a physio

Hell, even rest can make certain injuries worse. I spent 4 years resting a knee injury until a physio taught me why resting isn’t always the answer

over a year ago

evesham

Go see a physio

So any advice on targeted stretches/exercise from people with similar experience is for me to try in the meantime until such time I can."

a lot of physio work moved to virtual sessions during the pandemic so you could access something on line maybe?

over a year ago

Go see a physio "

Complex? A hip joint is a ball and socket joint, I suspect his issues are the muscles and tendons that surround the hip joint, he’s not doing any favours by icing them because he should be using heat to open up the blood vessels in the groin. Plus good painkillers before and after the activity

over a year ago

No idea but I'm happy to come and give it a little rub

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

Go see a physio

Complex? A hip joint is a ball and socket joint, I suspect his issues are the muscles and tendons that surround the hip joint, he’s not doing any favours by icing them because he should be using heat to open up the blood vessels in the groin. Plus good painkillers before and after the activity "

It’s a ball and socket joint with approximately 17 muscles acting on it, with many of them being multi joint muscles

The mechanics might seem simple, but it’s the 2nd most complex joint on the body, the 1st bring the shoulder (also a ball and socket)

By *allySlinkyWoman
over a year ago

Leeds

"

"

I'm suprised there aren't any physios in Manchester

over a year ago

"

I'm suprised there aren't any physios in Manchester"

I’m sure there are plenty.

But I’m currently not there.

over a year ago

"No idea but I'm happy to come and give it a little rub "

appreciate it, thanks.

over a year ago

They're slightly bonkers but have a look at Bob & Brad on YouTube. Suggested stretches/exercises for numerous soft tissue stuff including hip flexors.

over a year ago

Go see a physio

So any advice on targeted stretches/exercise from people with similar experience is for me to try in the meantime until such time I can.

a lot of physio work moved to virtual sessions during the pandemic so you could access something on line maybe?"

I’ll have a look, thanks again.

By *aseMan
over a year ago

Gourock

[Removed by poster at 20/01/22 10:26:35]

over a year ago

There loads of stretching and flexor strengthening exercises on Google and you tube go have a look

over a year ago

"They're slightly bonkers but have a look at Bob & Brad on YouTube. Suggested stretches/exercises for numerous soft tissue stuff including hip flexors."

Great, thanks, I’ll check these out too.

By *aseMan
over a year ago

Gourock

3 wanks a day

over a year ago

"3 wanks a day "

I’ve been prescribed 4? Possibly overdose.

over a year ago

You tube

Eckhart yoga

Yoga for runners

Mr

over a year ago

"You tube

Eckhart yoga

Yoga for runners

Mr"

thanks.

over a year ago

evesham

Oh also, look up Tom Morrison on YouTube. He has some good mobility bits on there.

over a year ago

"Oh also, look up Tom Morrison on YouTube. He has some good mobility bits on there. "

will do. Thanks again.

over a year ago

evesham

"Oh also, look up Tom Morrison on YouTube. He has some good mobility bits on there.

will do. Thanks again."

I'm great at knowing about stretches but rubbish at doing the stretches

Current sat with a tennis elbow strap around my forearm cos I can't be arsed stretching it out

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Go see a physio "

I'd agree with this. There's loads of online physio consultations that can be done over Zoom/Teams etc. I've seen one in Rochdale but they do online consultation too so you can be seen literally anywhere in the world.

over a year ago

I agree with whoever stated don't get medical advice from a swinger's site forum! The hip is really complex and there are a number of reasons why you may be getting pain, from tight tendons all the way up to bony impingement and / or early arthritic changes. And it may be a referred pain from somewhere else, or even something more serious. I note you haven't been asked about what we call "red flag" symptoms

Speaking as someone "in the game" as it were, I would always want either a physio or msk doc to see me, ask questions and then examine me before giving me advice.

If that's not an option, an interim would be search "CSP hip pain" and find the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy advice pages which gives lots of advice.

Hope that helps and hope better soon

G

over a year ago

I have degeneration in both hip joints. Quite painful at times plus somehow the pain tightens my calf muscles, making walking quite painful. I went for xrays in October and amongst other things I was told I would be given physiotherapy. I was expecting a letter from local NHS giving me start date for attendance at clinic. I got a letter saying an appointment has been made for a TELEPHONE PHYSIOTHERAPY SESSION!!!! WTF is that about? That never took place. Then I got another letter to say another appointment had been made. That was cancelled. Then another letter for telephone phys session today. That hasn't happened. I called to find out why and was told its been cancelled and rescheduled for next month!! In the meantime I've seen my GP for pain relief measures and he has prescribed Amitryptilin and Co-codamol. I use freeze gel and spray on my legs. That helps relieve some pain. OP I feel your pain and hope that you get some sort of relief from it soon.

over a year ago

I'm seeing a pain management clinic at present and I do telephone consultations some of the time. Still really helpful and I feel like I am making progress - I have hip flexor problems and the exercises are so gentle so I don't make things worse. I now take CBD oil for the pain which works better than the standard painkillers. Happy to share the exercises if that would help but agree with others that a professional would be best route.

Post new Message to Thread