Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

How do you cope

Jump to newest

By *os19 OP   Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

Today is my birthday but a very important member off my family has passed away.How do you cope when this happens on a birthday or a special day like Christmas

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I'm very sorry to hear that.

I think everyone copes differently, there's no wrong or right way. It isn't wrong to celebrate your birthday if you want to either.

Birthday greetings.

By *ong-leggedblondWoman
over a year ago

Next Door

Sorry to hear about your lost and happy birthday.

Why don't to say you are celebrating their life as well.

By *urves and MischiefWoman
over a year ago

Northerner

This happened to me a few years back to - and I was there by his side when it happened. When it came to the first anniversary I felt empty and refused to celebrate my birthday that year due to the upset I felt. Time does ease feelings and with a clearer mindset I reminded myself that my loved one wouldn’t want me to feel that way; they would want to see me enjoying myself and smiling so whilst I always give thought to him, I also give thought to myself.

Sorry for your loss x

By *urves and MischiefWoman
over a year ago

Northerner

And happy birthday x

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

If medical 'estimates' are correct, my Mum will pass away around my next birthday

It doesn't bother me tbh

I will always love and remember my Mum, so birthdays to come will just become more special than they already are as I get to remember the good times we've had for the last 50+ years

over a year ago

Celebrate their life and you're own today. Deal with their death tomorrow

By *ealitybitesMan
over a year ago

Belfast

I had a 21st birthday party. I lost my dad a week before my 22nd and haven't had a party since.

I decided I would to celebrate my 50th and then my mum passed away 2 weeks before it.

I've also lost a family member on Christmas Eve about 5 years ago and a number of other family members around this time of year so i no longer celebrate Christmas and try to avoid anything related to it.

over a year ago

Remember the good times. Look back at photos and if it brings a year,. Let them flow,. That's what I do. It hurts but reminds me I'm still human. Stay positive matey

By *os19 OP   Man
over a year ago

Edmonton

Thank you to everyone that has contributed on this thread.Been Greek Orthodox every year there will be what we call a Mnimosino which is like a memorial service which will be on the first Sunday after the date of passing away each year.This is why I struggling a bit at the moment.

over a year ago

Sorry for your loss OP, it sucks when things like this happen around times we usually celebrate.

Allow yourself to grieve, reflect on happier memories, and in time…celebrate the life along with your birthday.

over a year ago

Happy Birthday!

I don't have much advice... but it gets easier in time, it really does. It's ok to mourn the loss and be sad, but try to think of all the good times and how they'd want you to be happy on your special day.

Sending strength!

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

Happy birthday Cos

I raise a glass to them on that day and remember them, new year eve/day is very hard for me with 3 life changing sombre events passing into memories x

Post new Message to Thread