Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

My 40 minute stiffy and poncy dogs

Jump to newest

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Just back from my daily 40 minute ‘stiff’ walk. It’s part of my recuperation plan to rebuild fitness and stamina.

An observation- lots of people walking their little fluffy dogs. Breeds that are named ‘something poo’. They all look cute, some have little jackets on for some reason? Anyway, where are all the big dogs? Real dogs, Alsatians, Dobermans etc? Dogs to see off burglars.

Disclaimer- given my age and life expectancy of dogs, next year when I get one, it will have to be a manageable size.

What do you get if your cross a Rottweiler with a Labrador?

A dog that makes you shit yourself but runs off with the toilet roll!

Good morning to all you filthy Fabbers.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Got a border collie recently, and a non dog walker who stopped to fuss him on a walk looked at me and said ‘proper dog’; my thoughts exactly.

-Dogs should bark not yap

-Sprint faster than you not waddle at speed

-lay at your feet in the pub without stressing at other dogs that come in

-never need a haircut

Amongst other core attributes

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"Got a border collie recently, and a non dog walker who stopped to fuss him on a walk looked at me and said ‘proper dog’; my thoughts exactly.

-never need a haircut

Amongst other core attributes"

Some great points there, thanks. I like Border Collies.

By *atricia ParnelWoman
over a year ago

In a town full of colours

No burglar would have taken on the farm pack of terriers

I like big dogs but I dislike having to use 4 poo bags to pick up 1 poo

By *ily WhiteWoman
over a year ago

?

I've got a Bullmastiff, and the majority of people we see out and about are scared of him, even though he's a big softy...little dogs are cute to most people, and definitely more manageable to live with

over a year ago

"No burglar would have taken on the farm pack of terriers

I like big dogs but I dislike having to use 4 poo bags to pick up 1 poo "

It’s a very good reason to not get a big dog … our three little ones are enough … and they love to do it with an audience so I have to collect it with school kids going ewwww

I think ours are “proper” dogs even if they’re small

over a year ago

I've got a Carpathian shepherd never had small dogs

By *orruptionandliesMan
over a year ago

leeds

I had a lab, now have a German short haired pointer. He bounds around like a deer, but soft as they come

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"I've got a Carpathian shepherd never had small dogs "

Just google imaged it - gorgeous!

over a year ago

"I've got a Carpathian shepherd never had small dogs

Just google imaged it - gorgeous! "

He is also a complete loon but he's mine

over a year ago

"Got a border collie recently, and a non dog walker who stopped to fuss him on a walk looked at me and said ‘proper dog’; my thoughts exactly.

-never need a haircut

Amongst other core attributes"

I have a small terrier that ticks all those boxes and only barks when a good reason.

Many people have small dogs now due to small or no gardens and smaller size homes.

Whatever dog you get please consider giving a home to a rescue, not buy from a breeder.

By *ce WingerMan
over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I've had 3 generations of Border Collies, the last one was a Houdini/kleptomaniac. He used to bring all manner of shit back from people's gardens in the village. I used to make him take it all back, but I never did find out where that garden gnome came from

over a year ago

"Just back from my daily 40 minute ‘stiff’ walk. It’s part of my recuperation plan to rebuild fitness and stamina.

An observation- lots of people walking their little fluffy dogs. Breeds that are named ‘something poo’. They all look cute, some have little jackets on for some reason? Anyway, where are all the big dogs? Real dogs, Alsatians, Dobermans etc? Dogs to see off burglars.

Disclaimer- given my age and life expectancy of dogs, next year when I get one, it will have to be a manageable size.

Good morning to all you filthy Fabbers."

Dogs that named something “poo” aren’t “breeds” but are cross breeds. Some are now recognised by the kennel club but many are not.

Probably the Cockapoo is (working cocker spaniel x poodle) is the most recognised one, and may be the one now recognised by the KC. But likes of yorkiepoo, jackpoo, shitzpoo , maltipoo, labradoodle, schnoodle, akipoo, pomapoo, poogle to name a few… bet you can’t guess what the other parent breed is? (Other than poodle be is standard or toy)

All pure breeds, Border collie, GSD, Rottweiler, Doberman, Husky, Malamute etc…. They were all bred with a job to do… all the poo mixes have to do is look cute and be a lap dog - boring!

Yes they need haircuts but many purebreds do too, such as the Lakeland Terrier, wire hair fox terrier, Airedale & of course the pure bred poodle, none of these dogs shed naturally. So actually that has nothing to do with cross breeding them. It just means there is more need for a groomer than ever.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

-never need a haircut

I have a small terrier that ticks all those boxes and only barks when a good reason.

Many people have small dogs now due to small or no gardens and smaller size homes.

Whatever dog you get please consider giving a home to a rescue, not buy from a breeder."

I am seriously considering a rescue dog.

By *ad NannaWoman
over a year ago

East London

We have all the big dogs.

Woman across the road has lurchers and someone walks what looks like a Newfoundland.

Lots of German Shepherd dogs too.

I think older people tend to have smaller dogs as they are easier to look after and can sit on the lap.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"We have all the big dogs.

Woman across the road has lurchers and someone walks what looks like a Newfoundland.

I think older people tend to have smaller dogs as they are easier to look after and can sit on the lap.

"

My daughter has two GSDs and sometimes asks me to house / dog sit. I love them to bits but do find them a handful. As much as I hate to admit it.

They very much love me also by the way.

By *ouple2playCouple
over a year ago

Solihull

40 minute stiffy…oh, it’s a walk!

Labrador here anyway

over a year ago

"Just back from my daily 40 minute ‘stiff’ walk. It’s part of my recuperation plan to rebuild fitness and stamina.

Good morning to all you filthy Fabbers."

German Shepherd owner here! My dig can be found hiding behind me trying to hide from all those little yapping things

over a year ago

My daughter has two GSDs and sometimes asks me to house / dog sit. I love them to bits but do find them a handful. As much as I hate to admit it.

They very much love me also by the way."

Would your daughter be ok if you went to some training classes with the dogs so you’d get some training on handling them better, & also so the dogs would listen to you as much as they listen to her?

over a year ago

-never need a haircut

Whatever dog you get please consider giving a home to a rescue, not buy from a breeder.

I am seriously considering a rescue dog. "

Great - there are so many dogs looking for a good home. My terrier was a rescue and I love her to bits.

If you want some recommendations let me know.

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

Dogs that named something “poo” aren’t “breeds” but are cross breeds. Some are now recognised by the kennel club but many are not.

Probably the Cockapoo is (working cocker spaniel x poodle) is the most recognised one, and may be the one now recognised by the KC. But likes of yorkiepoo, jackpoo, shitzpoo , maltipoo, labradoodle, schnoodle, akipoo, pomapoo, poogle to name a few… bet you can’t guess what the other parent breed is? (Other than poodle be is standard or toy)

All pure breeds, Border collie, GSD, Rottweiler, Doberman, Husky, Malamute etc…. They were all bred with a job to do… all the poo mixes have to do is look cute and be a lap dog - boring!

Yes they need haircuts but many purebreds do too, such as the Lakeland Terrier, wire hair fox terrier, Airedale & of course the pure bred poodle, none of these dogs shed naturally. So actually that has nothing to do with cross breeding them. It just means there is more need for a groomer than ever.

"

Crossbreeds were known as mongrels when I was a lad

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

-never need a haircut

I am seriously considering a rescue dog. "

Our two collies are rescue and in time when we do, we will go down that route again..

Never had toy dogs before and was always closed to the idea but certainly having known a toy poodle would consider them, great character..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple
over a year ago

in Lancashire

Crossbreeds were known as mongrels when I was a lad"

Ditto..

Bitzers or a 57..

over a year ago

Thread name sounds like a Bowie album.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

Would your daughter be ok if you went to some training classes with the dogs so you’d get some training on handling them better, & also so the dogs would listen to you as much as they listen to her? "

The problem is they don’t really listen to her!

I’m no expert but dogs really need to be trained within the very early months. Especially big dogs.She has had some training with them but not enough.

I’m pretty good with them but they do pull when on the lead and try to compete with each other.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

-never need a haircut

I am seriously considering a rescue dog.

Great - there are so many dogs looking for a good home. My terrier was a rescue and I love her to bits.

If you want some recommendations let me know."

Thanks. I’ve looked at a few centres out this way. I’m a huge softie though and really want to take them all, I come away in tears!

Note to self - man up!

over a year ago

Would your daughter be ok if you went to some training classes with the dogs so you’d get some training on handling them better, & also so the dogs would listen to you as much as they listen to her?

The problem is they don’t really listen to her!

I’m no expert but dogs really need to be trained within the very early months. Especially big dogs.She has had some training with them but not enough.

I’m pretty good with them but they do pull when on the lead and try to compete with each other. "

Then she needs to correct that, any dog but especially the bigger dogs, need to be controlled more by their owners, unfortunately when a dog mauling ends up in the news mud sticks, it’s wrong, as nothing is looked at as to WHY it happened, what took place just before it happened, it’s rarely the dogs fault, but ultimately it’s the dog that pays for it with its life. GSDs are so clever and easy to train, there’s no real excuse not too. I have a friend whose a trainer and behaviorist. Time and again she sees people who are being pulled around by their dogs, they yank the animal back only for the dog to then start pulling again as soon as another step is taken…

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

Have an English springer spaniel and a collie here

Dogs with a purpose, not accessories

By *ammyjayneWoman
over a year ago

hull

Saluki and whippet owner here.

over a year ago

"Crossbreeds were known as mongrels when I was a lad

Ditto..

Bitzers or a 57.. "

Two pure bred dogs of different breeds eg GSD & Collie = Crossbreed - 1 cross

1 crossbred dog + another pure bred = Mongrel

1 crossbred dog + Mongrel or mongrel + mongrel = Heinz 57

That’s how I’ve always known it. A Heinz 57 is a dog where it’s impossible to tell what breeds is in it.

A crossbred you can usually tell what either parent was. My dog was a crossbreed, her mum was a GSD her dad possibly a collie. She had the head/muzzle, tail and coat of a GSD (also the bark of a GSD) but she has the ears, smallish paws, the white chest and the ability to learn like a collie, she also rounded you up if on a walk with friends and we weren’t squeezed together. She learnt amazingly fast.

over a year ago

"I've had 3 generations of Border Collies, the last one was a Houdini/kleptomaniac. He used to bring all manner of shit back from people's gardens in the village. I used to make him take it all back, but I never did find out where that garden gnome came from "

I love he had to take it all back

over a year ago

I have a 15 year old Labrador and a 5 month old Jackhuahua, I get to play with lots of different doggies though as I'm a groomer, dog walker and therapist

By *ebjonnson OP   Man
over a year ago

Maldon

"I've had 3 generations of Border Collies, the last one was a Houdini/kleptomaniac. He used to bring all manner of shit back from people's gardens in the village. I used to make him take it all back, but I never did find out where that garden gnome came from

I love he had to take it all back "

And write a note of apology!

By *oppolocosTV/TS
over a year ago

inverurie

Love my labrador and though there are a lot of "designer" dogs around, am seeing more Shepherd figs, Rottweilers and the like. Only problem with such big dogs is the arsehole owners who want them to be aggressive.

By *oppolocosTV/TS
over a year ago

inverurie

"I have a 15 year old Labrador and a 5 month old Jackhuahua, I get to play with lots of different doggies though as I'm a groomer, dog walker and therapist "

15 year old Lab, lucky you. Mine is 12 1/2 and struggling with arthritis. Really upsetting when I think about how much longer I might have him.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

I was browsing in a local junk shop yesterday and heard the owner tell the rat sized dog to fetch it's toy.

It was so small, I actually feard I would tread on it without knowing.

At the till, she served me with it on the counter and the poor thing was so inbred, it could barely see or breathe out of it's very flat face.

I welcome the day we no longer breed animals for pets.

By *heVonMatterhornsCouple
over a year ago

Lincoln

All dogs are good dogs Brent!

LvM

over a year ago

"I was browsing in a local junk shop yesterday and heard the owner tell the rat sized dog to fetch it's toy.

It was so small, I actually feard I would tread on it without knowing.

At the till, she served me with it on the counter and the poor thing was so inbred, it could barely see or breathe out of it's very flat face.

I welcome the day we no longer breed animals for pets."

That sounds to be a brachycephalic dog breed. Scandalous how they are bred with faces like that, most breeds like that are, French Bull, Pugs, Boston Terriers (but not so much) I live for the day people open their eyes and stop breeding like this.

over a year ago

A lot of excellent points raised. Also, some breeds of dogs don't shed hair. Important to consider if you are allergic to dog hair or don't want to be constantly wiping dog hair off your clothes, sofas, etc. Have schnauzers..got mini but do come in standard and big...and Big is very big!

over a year ago

"A lot of excellent points raised. Also, some breeds of dogs don't shed hair. Important to consider if you are allergic to dog hair or don't want to be constantly wiping dog hair off your clothes, sofas, etc. Have schnauzers..got mini but do come in standard and big...and Big is very big!"

People who are allergic to dogs, it isn’t the hair they are usually allergic too, it’s the dander that comes off the dog alongside the hair that sheds.

over a year ago

over a year ago

Not a real dog. ^

Post new Message to Thread