Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Harry's security?

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So I'm sure we have all seen Prince Harry and his security request.

What are people's views on this?

Mine are you stepped down. You aren't royal. Even royals don't get it on unofficial engagements. The Met Police aren't private security and for hire.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Let him pay, it’s not going to take a Bobby off the street as there are none, and those that take this level of security detail are probably sat around between beats to an extent. When someone nicks your car and no-one turns up it’s never gonna be cause they’re on harry duty…

over a year ago

"Let him pay, it’s not going to take a Bobby off the street as there are none, and those that take this level of security detail are probably sat around between beats to an extent. When someone nicks your car and no-one turns up it’s never gonna be cause they’re on harry duty…"

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

What’s he asking for exactly, I haven’t seen it.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Local chapter of the Hell’s Angels?

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple
over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

"So I'm sure we have all seen Prince Harry and his security request.

Mine are you stepped down. You aren't royal. Even royals don't get it on unofficial engagements. The Met Police aren't private security and for hire."

Stepping down doesn't remove the target on his back.

Winston

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

Just a stuck up toff who wants to 'look' important because he has security.

The way I look at it, you found your new home, stay there cause we bloody well don't want you or your Meh!-gan here, as we're obviously to nosey for your liking.

Get your pointy little nose back to your daddy, James Hewitt and stay there.

over a year ago

Mine are you stepped down. You aren't royal. Even royals don't get it on unofficial engagements. The Met Police aren't private security and for hire.

Winston"

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

Winston"

I was just about to say that. He’s a bit more at risk then the rest of us!

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

There are a lot of richer and probably more target worthy people in UK that do not have Police protection teams. Generally speaking you cannot buy police protection. Risk would be assessed and acted upon. Suspect there is more in background on this - hence Harry saying he offered to pay and was refused. He can pay for private protection if he wants but they would not carry guns. Not sure you need to shoot paps though...

over a year ago

Winston

I was just about to say that. He’s a bit more at risk then the rest of us!"

Stepping down didn't make him invisible.

Winston

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

He should pay his own security. Hard to see why UK taxpayers should fund him when he's opted to turn his back on public duties - and the country in general for that matter. Personally, I'd rather he stayed well away.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman
over a year ago

evesham

He's offered to pay for it but Scotland Yard say no. He isn't asking it to be provided free of charge.

over a year ago

"Just a stuck up toff who wants to 'look' important because he has security.

The way I look at it, you found your new home, stay there cause we bloody well don't want you or your Meh!-gan here, as we're obviously to nosey for your liking.

Get your pointy little nose back to your daddy, James Hewitt and stay there. "

Im not a royalist but thats actually quite unpleasant

over a year ago

Only the Police or the military are able to provide armed security, in very limited circumstances, in mainland UK. He has burned both those bridges. Ironic that when he had it, he spent most of his time trying to evade it.

By *igJFromSAMan
over a year ago

Woking

Winston

Winston"

Then he can do what any other private citizen can do when they feel unsafe, hire a private security firm rather than trying to hire the Met.

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

"He should pay his own security. Hard to see why UK taxpayers should fund him when he's opted to turn his back on public duties - and the country in general for that matter. Personally, I'd rather he stayed well away."

he's offering to pay

over a year ago

Winston

Winston

Then he can do what any other private citizen can do when they feel unsafe, hire a private security firm rather than trying to hire the Met. "

His private security team can't be armed in the UK.

By *igJFromSAMan
over a year ago

Woking

Winston

Winston

Then he can do what any other private citizen can do when they feel unsafe, hire a private security firm rather than trying to hire the Met.

His private security team can't be armed in the UK."

What are the chances, in this country, that any security force would be better if they are armed.

Also setting a precedent that the police can be hired could create a while bunch of murky situations in the future.

By *ydrewMan
over a year ago

gatcombe

Not seen any of the details, is he trying to hire armed police for a UK visit?

over a year ago

Winston

Winston

What are the chances, in this country, that any security force would be better if they are armed.

Also setting a precedent that the police can be hired could create a while bunch of murky situations in the future. "

The police are often hired out for large events, or they were pre covid. It just has to be agreed between police bosses and event organisers. I don't think that can be applied to armed though, which I suspect is the issue here.

over a year ago

Winston

Winston

Also setting a precedent that the police can be hired could create a while bunch of murky situations in the future. "

UK close protection officers are among the most respected in the world. Mostly because their first resort isn't to a firearm.

I'd say a security detail are better if they're armed. Shouting "stop shooting at me" is a lot less effective than returning fire.

Winston

over a year ago

"Not seen any of the details, is he trying to hire armed police for a UK visit?"

Essentially, yes. He has said that the UK is too dangerous for him and his family to visit without police protection.

By *ooo wet tight hornyWoman
over a year ago

lancashire

Is Harry wanting armed Police to protect him? If he doesn't then why doesn't he just bring his own that he currently has in America, some famous people bring their own...Beyonce, Snoop Dog, Eminem and others too.

over a year ago

He has said he already has his own security anyway problem is that the met won't update them.on specific threats over here so he asked to have royal protection officers and pay himself and it was refused fair play he wants to come and visit why shouldn't he and doesn't cost us anything he either pays himself or update his existing security! They won't so he is takeing it to court fair enough sure tax payer is paying a shedload of money via bank of mummy to peodo Andrew as it is!

over a year ago

"Is Harry wanting armed Police to protect him? If he doesn't then why doesn't he just bring his own that he currently has in America, some famous people bring their own...Beyonce, Snoop Dog, Eminem and others too. "

It wouldn't be legal for them to carry firearms on UK soil.

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

Ryan Reynolds is still waiting for his Triple A licence for body guarding to be reinstated. Maybe a trip to Wrexham FC might be an idea?

Personally, Harry is almost an American citizen now and has to realise that the state does not provide, private business does.

By *igJFromSAMan
over a year ago

Woking

Winston

Winston

Also setting a precedent that the police can be hired could create a while bunch of murky situations in the future.

UK close protection officers are among the most respected in the world. Mostly because their first resort isn't to a firearm.

I'd say a security detail are better if they're armed. Shouting "stop shooting at me" is a lot less effective than returning fire.

Winston"

Armed are definitely better if you think it's likely you're going to be involved in some kind of protracted shootout, but I don't see Harry landing in that situation. For anything else the need for a gun seems unnecessary, won't stop a lone wolf style attack, or clear a mob.

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

Winston

Winston

Winston

Armed are definitely better if you think it's likely you're going to be involved in some kind of protracted shootout, but I don't see Harry landing in that situation. For anything else the need for a gun seems unnecessary, won't stop a lone wolf style attack, or clear a mob. "

They cited being papped as an illustration they needed protection (!) They clearly think the gun is mightier than the pen

over a year ago

Winston

Winston

Winston

Armed are definitely better if you think it's likely you're going to be involved in some kind of protracted shootout, but I don't see Harry landing in that situation. For anything else the need for a gun seems unnecessary, won't stop a lone wolf style attack, or clear a mob. "

You don't see it?

Thank fuck you're not in his protection detail. Their job is to see every conceivable event and be properly equipped to deal with it.

If that means being armed, so be it. Hence a civilian detail is no use to him in the UK.

Winston

By *igJFromSAMan
over a year ago

Woking

Winston

Winston

Winston

Armed are definitely better if you think it's likely you're going to be involved in some kind of protracted shootout, but I don't see Harry landing in that situation. For anything else the need for a gun seems unnecessary, won't stop a lone wolf style attack, or clear a mob.

You don't see it?

Thank fuck you're not in his protection detail. Their job is to see every conceivable event and be properly equipped to deal with it.

If that means being armed, so be it. Hence a civilian detail is no use to him in the UK.

Winston"

Should they request tanks and full hazmat suits too? Just incase someone conceives a full scale military and chemical attack is a possibility.

All the other mega wealthy/influential/controversial figures in this country manage just fine with private security, he'll be fine.

By *evonshireboyMan
over a year ago

North Devon

"

All the other mega wealthy/influential/controversial figures in this country manage just fine with private security, he'll be fine. "

Wealth is irrelevant really, it's the fact that he would be an amazing target for any terrorist organisation - can you imagine what would happen if he were kidnaqqed? Or what kudos it would provide to them if he were shot/attacked? Way more than if they went for any other non-royal or senior politico VIP in the country.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

Winston

Winston

Winston

They cited being papped as an illustration they needed protection (!) They clearly think the gun is mightier than the pen "

Perhaps they should be armed with a Mont Blanc fountain pen and a bottle of Quink?

By *haron StonerTV/TS
over a year ago

Haywards Heath

What's the point, any bullets, you can bet they'll step out the way.

By *hilloutMan
over a year ago

All over the place! Northwesr, , Southwest

He's the one who turned his back on his family and left, and in doing so giving up a number of privileges. He should accept the consequences of that decision.

over a year ago

It's a difficult one. I can understand him wanting to protect his family, and I don't doubt that there are some nasties who want to do him and his family harm. I don't particularly like the guy or his wife but this visit may be the last time he sees his grandmother, and she seems far to frail to visit them. I think maybe they compromise - have a paid for private security team, overseen by a few very experienced Met police officers and just one of them armed at any time.

By * and M lookingCouple
over a year ago

Worcester

Chose your bed, now lie on it.

Tough!

By *exycouplesswingCouple
over a year ago

Tunbridge Wells

What a delightful comment..speak for yourself please.. and maybe tone down the anger..

By *ooBulMan
over a year ago

Missin’ Yo’ Kissin’

Ok, its not Harry's fault all his family are a bunch of closet racists... Fair enough, I can see why he did what he did.

However, you dis the Queen without showing respect or talking to her like a grown up adult then what do you expect?

Why don't they just buy the "ginger whinger" a tank? I'm sure his army mates could get him a decent price on one.... Problem sorted!

By *JB1954Man
over a year ago

Reading

Just a thought . Harry and Megan plus children could fly into an airport in private jet. Go thru immigration etc . Without anyone knowing . Unless tipped off in advance. Go to one of the Royal residencies . Then attend Jubilee functions with other Royals . This way they would get protection . As ALL Royals if attending Royal type function get protection.

Perhaps being a bit cynical . Harry / Megan want to publicise as much as possible visit to UK. This would make money in USA etc for them ?

over a year ago

Winston

Winston

Winston

You don't see it?

Winston

Should they request tanks and full hazmat suits too? Just incase someone conceives a full scale military and chemical attack is a possibility.

All the other mega wealthy/influential/controversial figures in this country manage just fine with private security, he'll be fine. "

Now you're just being silly to try and make a point.

Winston

over a year ago

The media are constantly writing bullshit stories about Meghan. Inferring she will be happy they can't come here, inferring she stole him away etc etc.

They incite hatred then sit back and the public believes it all.

The media have created a dangerous situation. Harry didn't ask for this, he was born into it. It's a fucking disgrace.

By *a LunaWoman
over a year ago

South

I can see his point on this one. He IS high profile, and as a result his family could be targets.

It’s not like he’s over here visiting every week either.

But I also see the other side of the coin. I don’t think he should really take the UK to Court. It was his choice to leave. He would have been briefed about what was being taken away, so he would have known and maybe check before leaving that armed security would have been available to him. It’s a bit late after the horse has bolted.

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

WOW! x

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

Winston"

Exactly! x

over a year ago

"The media are constantly writing bullshit stories about Meghan. Inferring she will be happy they can't come here, inferring she stole him away etc etc.

The media have created a dangerous situation. Harry didn't ask for this, he was born into it. It's a fucking disgrace. "

This. ^

Winston

By *andyfloss2000Woman
over a year ago

ashford

"The media are constantly writing bullshit stories about Meghan. Inferring she will be happy they can't come here, inferring she stole him away etc etc.

The media have created a dangerous situation. Harry didn't ask for this, he was born into it. It's a fucking disgrace. "

x

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

By *igJFromSAMan
over a year ago

Woking

Winston

Winston

Winston

You don't see it?

Winston

All the other mega wealthy/influential/controversial figures in this country manage just fine with private security, he'll be fine.

Winston"

A little, but was just taking your point that every conceivable scenario should be planned for to the upper limit.

By *ecretlivesCouple
over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

People can probably all agree that media role is questionable. Harry himself has used media as personal platform to vent against his family. But that is conflating the question should he take the Met (or his family?) to court over armed protection. There are lots of very rich, very public and very contentious people (and their families) who do not have publically funded armed officers escorting them wherever they go. The UK is not the US (and US won't pay either). He will be risk assessed by the police like any other private citizen, and given appropriate advice. His birth gave him lots of privileges and rights - dictating what the Police do is not one of them.

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Princess Anne never got security on unofficial engagements after her near miss and her close protection officer got shot. The police would assess and any potential risk they would be aware of. You can't ask the armed police to protect everybody that comes over on visits. The other royal family do not get this nor do others apart from heads of states etc.

over a year ago

Winston

Winston

Winston

You don't see it?

Winston

Winston

A little, but was just taking your point that every conceivable scenario should be planned for to the upper limit. "

Threat and risk assessment, international, national, regional and local determine equipment requirements.

Theres no one size fits all solution.

Winston

over a year ago

i would rather the tax payer paid for harrys security than the amount of ongoing protection Blair gets !!! at least harry went to war where as blair started it from his office !!!

By *odgerMooreMan
over a year ago

Carlisle

"Is Harry wanting armed Police to protect him? If he doesn't then why doesn't he just bring his own that he currently has in America, some famous people bring their own...Beyonce, Snoop Dog, Eminem and others too.

It wouldn't be legal for them to carry firearms on UK soil."

Question - does this also apply to the likes if US secret service operatives in the Uk on a state visit?

over a year ago

"Is Harry wanting armed Police to protect him? If he doesn't then why doesn't he just bring his own that he currently has in America, some famous people bring their own...Beyonce, Snoop Dog, Eminem and others too.

Question - does this also apply to the likes if US secret service operatives in the Uk on a state visit? "

They would need permission.

Winston

over a year ago

"It's a difficult one. I can understand him wanting to protect his family, and I don't doubt that there are some nasties who want to do him and his family harm. I don't particularly like the guy or his wife but this visit may be the last time he sees his grandmother, and she seems far to frail to visit them. I think maybe they compromise - have a paid for private security team, overseen by a few very experienced Met police officers and just one of them armed at any time."

They can't work like that.

over a year ago

Question - does this also apply to the likes if US secret service operatives in the Uk on a state visit? "

They are one of the very few allowed to carry over here if it's presidential protection.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"So I'm sure we have all seen Prince Harry and his security request."

No not seen, and really do not care. It amazes me how idiots like him still elicit gossip amongst the masses

Post new Message to Thread