Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Teslas

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

What’s so special about them? Opinions please.

I’m genuinely curious. As a non driver I don’t get it but maybe I will when I pass my test.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *inAndTonic21Couple
over a year ago

Merseyside

When you are in them you feel like you are on a ride at the fair they move so fast and quietly. But tech people seem to love them for how they are inside they are lovely to sit in too- we don’t own one though

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

The cars themselves aren’t spectacular mechanically or in terms of materials used, but they have a decent amount of tech built in, their ranges are usually as good or better than the competition and their acceleration is usually better than their competitors (if you care about that).

What is leagues ahead is the Tesla Supercharger network; there is nothing else that comes close. Ionity and the other charging networks are catching up slowly but they are miles behind, usually in both charger numbers and charging speed.

By *erfectman122Man
over a year ago

from somewhere nice

They are a fantastic car full of tech love mine

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Nothing they are just like apple products

Over hyped expensive crap

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Reasons I love my Model 3…

Emissions (fart) mode

Sonic the Hedgehog game

Seriously they are great and relaxing to drive. Much more efficient than most other electric vehicles and the dedicated supercharger network was a huge selling point for me.

There will always be Tesla haters out there though

By *iamondCougarWoman
over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

Someone sent my a very amusing joke picture this week of a Tesla after an accident tipped on its side showing 3 AA Duracell batteries!

It did cause a bit of a giggle

over a year ago

"Someone sent my a very amusing joke picture this week of a Tesla after an accident tipped on its side showing 3 AA Duracell batteries!

It did cause a bit of a giggle "

I can picture that.

over a year ago

"Nothing they are just like apple products

Over hyped expensive crap "

Taking that as an insult and I know it wasn't aimed at me

over a year ago

So what happens when they die. Or the battery needs replacing. I’ve heard there isn’t enough materials to build more battery’s but again don’t know how true this is.

The price of them too is absolutely ridiculous

over a year ago

Taking that as an insult and I know it wasn't aimed at me "

Hahaha I’m an apple user too and I have the watch, MacBook, tv, etc… I feel offended

over a year ago

Taking that as an insult and I know it wasn't aimed at me "

It wasn't in any way aimed to you.

If it offended I'm sorry it wasn't my intent

By *acDreamyMan
over a year ago

Wirral

You can push a button for a whoopee cushion effect!

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Hahaha I’m an apple user too and I have the watch, MacBook, tv, etc… I feel offended "

So I’ve got a Tesla and use Apple products. That must mean I’m going to hell

over a year ago

20,000 people in Canada affected by power outage...

Grids have had outages in the past, I'm sure once the majority of people are driving electric, like banks and hospitals that have been hit, a dastardly deed will be to...

Turn off the power

Leaving petrol and diesel the only alternative...

By *ean counterMan
over a year ago

Kettering

There's three things that help me choose a car, the way they go, the way they look and the way they sound. Yes Teslas are fast but fookin' ugly and no sound. Give me a "slow" V6 turbo any day of the week

over a year ago

Hahaha I’m an apple user too and I have the watch, MacBook, tv, etc… I feel offended

So I’ve got a Tesla and use Apple products. That must mean I’m going to hell "

Sheep usually go to the abattoir.

over a year ago

I like my Fiesta…. If I wanted a car that drives itself I’d get a remote control one

By *ennysouthMan
over a year ago

Coventry

I love mine but still waiting to christen it.

over a year ago

Into The Now is my favourite album

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

So I’ve got a Tesla and use Apple products. That must mean I’m going to hell

Sheep usually go to the abattoir. "

Right I’m getting my bendy ruler out now (sadly not a Tesla branded one).

over a year ago

They charge super fast

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS
over a year ago

Newquay

Nothing special at all, yes reasonably refined but ridiculously over priced - designed to pull in folk in the "one born every minute" category - it's a good business model as there's plenty around!

over a year ago

All Good fun until the battery needs replacing.

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

"So what happens when they die. Or the battery needs replacing. I’ve heard there isn’t enough materials to build more battery’s but again don’t know how true this is.

The price of them too is absolutely ridiculous "

When they run out of juice, you’re stuck. Hence the reason you always make sure you plan your route based on charging points if it’s a long one, which is a damn sight easier in a Tesla than in any other BEV at the moment.

Battery replacement isn’t really an issue; there are old Model S’s with significant miles that have only lost 20% of their capacity from new. The car will probably be trash by the time the battery has had it.

By *hunderace...Man
over a year ago

Dudley

I personally think they're quite dangerous as all electric vehicles are.

You don't realise how much you use your hearing as a driver/pedestrian, being a biker I see others reactions as they hear me long before I'm seen.

With no sound how long will it be before some child runs out into a quiet street or even one of us, mind elsewhere thinking all is clear?

By *aiseiMan
over a year ago

Birmingham

There’s still plenty of tyre noise when they’re moving at normal driving speeds, most are 2+ tonnes (or very close to it).

Yes they’re quiet at low speeds so there is greater risk there, but there are increasing options for audible emissions to warn people.

People have been getting run over by ICE vehicles for as long as they’ve been around, so noise isn’t always a differentiator.

over a year ago

I personally don't like them, they make you look like you are sat in a Noddy car, don't like the fact everything works off an ipad style design and plasticky looking interior in some models. The look of the car just isn't right yet inside and out.

over a year ago

"I personally think they're quite dangerous as all electric vehicles are.

You don't realise how much you use your hearing as a driver/pedestrian, being a biker I see others reactions as they hear me long before I'm seen.

With no sound how long will it be before some child runs out into a quiet street or even one of us, mind elsewhere thinking all is clear?

"

Decent petrol cars are pretty quiet at low speeds too. The sound of a couple of coconut shells when you drive in town (like in The Holy Grail) would be fun

over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"

All electric vehicles must now be fitted with low speed Pedestrian warning systems (PWS).

over a year ago

I'll take the noise of an ev over the ear abuse of a motorbike any day.

over a year ago

I just find it hypocritical that a car named after a scientist who wanted free energy for all amd was quoted as saying " no free energy device will ever be allowed to reach the market " can cost so much and they still have the cheek to claim they took the name as a tribute to him

By *ottom charlieMan
over a year ago

washington

"What’s so special about them? Opinions please.

I’m genuinely curious. As a non driver I don’t get it but maybe I will when I pass my test.

"

ooh a lady with loads of money cheapest one starts at about £42,000

over a year ago

We have a Tesla! I say we, Mr has a Tesla, I am not allowed to drive it! Very quiet and smooth, loads of space in the back seat / boot. Highly recommend it.

over a year ago

Nearly ordered one early last year. I thought they were too over priced for what they deliver. I wasn't confident in the technology and promise of range.

By *hunderace...Man
over a year ago

Dudley

Decent petrol cars are pretty quiet at low speeds too. The sound of a couple of coconut shells when you drive in town (like in The Holy Grail) would be fun"

Lol I love it

By *hunderace...Man
over a year ago

Dudley

"I'll take the noise of an ev over the ear abuse of a motorbike any day."

That noise saves my life many times a day

By *ubix538Man
over a year ago

Inverness

The thing about them is they are supposed to be better for the environment. I wonder if people will still feel the same way when fire crews need to spray halon down the street because plain old water won't be enough for a crazy electrical fire when those lithium-ion batteries get punctured after a smash. These batteries which contain a bunch of rare earth metals. These metals that are mined in poor exploitable countries with relaxed work and industrial restrictions. I wonder what the health effects on the local populations will be when electric cars fully take over the market? A lot of people who will get rid of their fossil fuel burning petrol/diesel vehicle to get a shiny new tesla will probably then proceed to replace it every three years because car companies would rather sell you an entirely new vehicle than fix your car. I heard that Telsa refuses to fix many of the issues with their cars and has found a way to stop mechanics from being allowed to work on them too. You have to be "licensed" to work on a Tesla and they don't give out "licenses". I think the whole electric car thing is just a meme to get us to keep buying things we don't actually need. Bet you anything when the technology is mass adopted the overton window will shift and we'll be told the truth how bad they are for the environment and public health. Why not instead of banning petrol and diesel cars; ban predatory money lending which fuels a throw away society? Instead of changing the technology in the cars, get people to use the cars for their full life span? The mountains of crushed cars laying under the soil in landfill will be the legacy we leave future generations. I wonder what they'll make of a mountain of teslas buried into the earth, barely used to a fraction of their full potential. It's kind of poetic in the irony of it all.

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"All Good fun until the battery needs replacing. "

Or it ignites when parked up.

By *opsy RogersWoman
over a year ago

London

"The thing about them is they are supposed to be better for the environment. I wonder if people will still feel the same way when fire crews need to spray halon down the street because plain old water won't be enough for a crazy electrical fire when those lithium-ion batteries get punctured after a smash. These batteries which contain a bunch of rare earth metals. These metals that are mined in poor exploitable countries with relaxed work and industrial restrictions. I wonder what the health effects on the local populations will be when electric cars fully take over the market? A lot of people who will get rid of their fossil fuel burning petrol/diesel vehicle to get a shiny new tesla will probably then proceed to replace it every three years because car companies would rather sell you an entirely new vehicle than fix your car. I heard that Telsa refuses to fix many of the issues with their cars and has found a way to stop mechanics from being allowed to work on them too. You have to be "licensed" to work on a Tesla and they don't give out "licenses". I think the whole electric car thing is just a meme to get us to keep buying things we don't actually need. Bet you anything when the technology is mass adopted the overton window will shift and we'll be told the truth how bad they are for the environment and public health. Why not instead of banning petrol and diesel cars; ban predatory money lending which fuels a throw away society? Instead of changing the technology in the cars, get people to use the cars for their full life span? The mountains of crushed cars laying under the soil in landfill will be the legacy we leave future generations. I wonder what they'll make of a mountain of teslas buried into the earth, barely used to a fraction of their full potential. It's kind of poetic in the irony of it all."

Marry me.

over a year ago

"The thing about them is they are supposed to be better for the environment. I wonder if people will still feel the same way when fire crews need to spray halon down the street because plain old water won't be enough for a crazy electrical fire when those lithium-ion batteries get punctured after a smash. These batteries which contain a bunch of rare earth metals. These metals that are mined in poor exploitable countries with relaxed work and industrial restrictions. I wonder what the health effects on the local populations will be when electric cars fully take over the market? A lot of people who will get rid of their fossil fuel burning petrol/diesel vehicle to get a shiny new tesla will probably then proceed to replace it every three years because car companies would rather sell you an entirely new vehicle than fix your car. I heard that Telsa refuses to fix many of the issues with their cars and has found a way to stop mechanics from being allowed to work on them too. You have to be "licensed" to work on a Tesla and they don't give out "licenses". I think the whole electric car thing is just a meme to get us to keep buying things we don't actually need. Bet you anything when the technology is mass adopted the overton window will shift and we'll be told the truth how bad they are for the environment and public health. Why not instead of banning petrol and diesel cars; ban predatory money lending which fuels a throw away society? Instead of changing the technology in the cars, get people to use the cars for their full life span? The mountains of crushed cars laying under the soil in landfill will be the legacy we leave future generations. I wonder what they'll make of a mountain of teslas buried into the earth, barely used to a fraction of their full potential. It's kind of poetic in the irony of it all."

This was my thoughts.

over a year ago

Thank you for posting this, people news to be aware of how unenvironmentally friendly these electric cars are

Post new Message to Thread