Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Watford Racism

Jump to newest

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Reports that Watford will rename all streets with links to imperialism, the Empire and Sla ver y if residents vote to change their street name..

I wonder if this will erase the history of sl av ery altogether for new generations...

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I don’t think people learn about or are aware of history because of street names.

By *inky_couple2020Couple
over a year ago

North West

"I don’t think people learn about or are aware of history because of street names. "

Dunno actually. As a child, I was always very interested in why certain areas had street names all linked e.g. names of Queen Victoria's children or WW1 generals. It inspired me to research about where the names came from or who they referred to.

over a year ago

North West

PS: I'm sure some people will think I'm weird but hey ho

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Reports that Watford will rename all streets with links to imperialism, the Empire and Sla ver y if residents vote to change their street name..

I wonder if this will erase the history of sl av ery altogether for new generations...

"

Changing street names and removing families does NOT erase history, it removes the idolisation of historic figures.

Think of it as not having a big statue of Hitler, or a Herman Goring Street in Hamburg.

Cal

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"PS: I'm sure some people will think I'm weird but hey ho"

Your assumptions may be correct

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

"Reports that Watford will rename all streets with links to imperialism, the Empire and Sla ver y if residents vote to change their street name..

Changing street names and removing families does NOT erase history, it removes the idolisation of historic figures.

Think of it as not having a big statue of Hitler, or a Herman Goring Street in Hamburg.

Cal "

I think most people just live in the street.. no matter what it's called

over a year ago

North West

Cal "

Indeed, Spain has renamed streets and squares named after General Franco and his pals. Yet, everyone seems aware of the history

over a year ago

North West

"PS: I'm sure some people will think I'm weird but hey ho

Your assumptions may be correct "

Assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups

over a year ago

"

Edinburgh is thinking of doing the same

By *alandNitaCouple
over a year ago

Scunthorpe

Cal

-----

Indeed, Spain has renamed streets and squares named after General Franco and his pals. Yet, everyone seems aware of the history "

From what I've read...

Not exactly, a small number of street names have been returned to their previous names after a Far Right political group petitioned the courts stating the the people named didn't play an direct role in Franco's 1936 coup.

over a year ago

North West

Cal

-----

Indeed, Spain has renamed streets and squares named after General Franco and his pals. Yet, everyone seems aware of the history

From what I've read...

Not exactly, a small number of street names have been returned to their previous names after a Far Right political group petitioned the courts stating the the people named didn't play an direct role in Franco's 1936 coup."

I didn't say ALL streets. The ones directly named after Franco and his fellow coup carry-outers have, to my knowledge, all been renamed. Others of lesser characters may remain. Incidentally, Spanish councils have often removed names of leaders of the very left leaning Republican leaders that preceded Franco. It's not only the nationalist names that have been replaced.

The point is, the fact that plazas and calles have been renamed has not changed the fact that people still know the history.

By *iaisonseekerMan
over a year ago

Liverpool

Cal

-----

From what I've read...

Not exactly, a small number of street names have been returned to their previous names after a Far Right political group petitioned the courts stating the the people named didn't play an direct role in Franco's 1936 coup.

I didn't say ALL streets. The ones directly named after Franco and his fellow coup carry-outers have, to my knowledge, all been renamed. Others of lesser characters may remain. Incidentally, Spanish councils have often removed names of leaders of the very left leaning Republican leaders that preceded Franco. It's not only the nationalist names that have been replaced.

The point is, the fact that plazas and calles have been renamed has not changed the fact that people still know the history. "

When I lived in Spain, Franco's hometown of Ferrol in Galicia still had a statue in the centre. Periodically it would be targeted by subversive types with graffiti, explosives etc.

over a year ago

North West

Cal

-----

From what I've read...

The point is, the fact that plazas and calles have been renamed has not changed the fact that people still know the history.

When I lived in Spain, Franco's hometown of Ferrol in Galicia still had a statue in the centre. Periodically it would be targeted by subversive types with graffiti, explosives etc.

"

Apparently the last statue of Franco on mainland Spain was removed in 2008:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/dec/18/franco-statue-spain

So, presumably, Ferrol no longer has one. But the town still knows the history.

The last statue of him on any Spanish soil was removed recently, from Melilla:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56177819

By *ssex_tom OP   Man
over a year ago

Chelmsford

Let us forget..

The new non remembrance day..

over a year ago

You’re d*unk Tom, go home.

By *angzMan
over a year ago

Manchester, London & sometimes Newcastle

Cal "

over a year ago

The statues and such of the perpetrators of human abuse are replaced by the memorials to the victims. Which invokes a different way of questioning, but leads to the same history.

over a year ago

The snowflakes are taking over

By *igmaMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Cal

Indeed, Spain has renamed streets and squares named after General Franco and his pals. Yet, everyone seems aware of the history "

What about all those that live up Franco’s back ally?

over a year ago

North West

Cal

What about all those that live up Franco’s back ally? "

Franco was very anti that sort of thing

By *igmaMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Cal

Franco was very anti that sort of thing "

Probably talking about different Franco’s ?!

over a year ago

North West

Cal

Probably talking about different Franco’s ?! "

Generalísimo Francisco Franco? Nationalist dictator of España 1939-1975?

By *igmaMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Cal

Probably talking about different Franco’s ?!

Generalísimo Francisco Franco? Nationalist dictator of España 1939-1975? "

No!

Franco from Home Bargains in Cross Gates

over a year ago

"The snowflakes are taking over "

Good. The arseholes have had their turn.

over a year ago

"

The thread title could have been a bit more thoughtful.

No, history can't be erased.

By *ookie_and_NookieCouple
over a year ago

Kent

Cal "

Exactly this!!!!!!!!!

over a year ago

As long as due legal processes are followed instead of going around like a mob and breaking statues, I am fine with it.

But I personally don't think anything constructive will happen out of these things. Just a waste of time. There are plenty of credible ways to fight racial divide if you want to.

over a year ago

Changing street names don’t change the fact barbarism imperialism and sla ve ry is what the GREAT in Great Britain is all about

I say learn from the past mistakes and let it be a reminder of what terrible suffering was imposed forced upon the s…….ves and educate folk that this form of human trafficking and suffering is not to happen again

As for Racism … hmmm there is no need and there is NO place in our society …

Coffee anyone !

over a year ago

"I don’t think people learn about or are aware of history because of street names.

Dunno actually. As a child, I was always very interested in why certain areas had street names all linked e.g. names of Queen Victoria's children or WW1 generals. It inspired me to research about where the names came from or who they referred to. "

I find that interesting as well.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Year zero..

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

Not at all, we love searching for historical references - especially medieval ones - in street names.

over a year ago

North West

Not at all, we love searching for historical references - especially medieval ones - in street names. "

See Jim's pic of "Grope Lane" for such street names

Off to remind myself why "Whop-ma-whip-ma-gate" in York is so-called...

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I don’t think people learn about or are aware of history because of street names. "

Exactly this. I only learnt recently that loads of Liverpool Streets are names after sl*ve owners and it feels a bit embarrassing not to have known but I certainly wasn't alone.

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"Changing street names don’t change the fact barbarism imperialism and sla ve ry is what the GREAT in Great Britain is all about

I say learn from the past mistakes and let it be a reminder of what terrible suffering was imposed forced upon the s…….ves and educate folk that this form of human trafficking and suffering is not to happen again

As for Racism … hmmm there is no need and there is NO place in our society …

Coffee anyone ! "

Actually the Great was added after Scotland joined the union in 1707...

By *riskynriskyCouple
over a year ago

Essex.

"The snowflakes are taking over

Good. The arseholes have had their turn."

Unfortunately the snowflakes are bigger arseholes than the arseholes they have replaced...

over a year ago

Eee your weird

over a year ago

Not at all, we love searching for historical references - especially medieval ones - in street names.

Off to remind myself why "Whop-ma-whip-ma-gate" in York is so-called..."

Whip me whop me, the gate bit is norse pronounced 'garta' meaning street or road

over a year ago

I hope they choose to rename the streets after objects - flowers, trees etc rather than real people who will inevitably have some skeletons in the closet that will offend somebody for some reason in future.

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

I propose that all streets in Watford, and indeed the entire nation, are re-named using Fab Usernames.

over a year ago

Unfortunately the snowflakes are bigger arseholes than the arseholes they have replaced..."

You should read my article entitled "why everyone who argues for the status quo is a rational reasoned individual and anyone who argues for change is a fanatical, virtue signalling marxist snowflake". I think you'll like it.

over a year ago

North West

Whip me whop me, the gate bit is norse pronounced 'garta' meaning street or road"

Yes, the "gate" bit is obvious. But the rest? "Neither one thing nor the other" is what the consensus seems to be, but what an odd name for a street in any era, no? Viking street names usually make sense

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

Unfortunately the snowflakes are bigger arseholes than the arseholes they have replaced..."

All evidence points to the fact this isn’t true. If someone uses the term ‘snowflake’ in earnest, it is a foolproof method for identifying them as a deeply unpleasant person.

over a year ago

Unfortunately the snowflakes are bigger arseholes than the arseholes they have replaced...

You should read my article entitled "why everyone who argues for the status quo is a rational reasoned individual and anyone who argues for change is a fanatical, virtue signalling marxist snowflake". I think you'll like it."

Sounds rational and well balanced

over a year ago

All evidence points to the fact this isn’t true. If someone uses the term ‘snowflake’ in earnest, it is a foolproof method for identifying them as a deeply unpleasant person."

I've never met a person that uses the term that I'd like to meet again.

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Rename everything in Gaelic as it was their land before those damn Romans came.

By *rHotNottsMan
over a year ago

Dubai & Nottingham

"The snowflakes are taking over "

Good, let them. We can’t rely on the old lazy fuckers to do anything useful

over a year ago

You should read my article entitled "why everyone who argues for the status quo is a rational reasoned individual and anyone who argues for change is a fanatical, virtue signalling marxist snowflake". I think you'll like it.

Sounds rational and well balanced "

What really gets me is snowflake was once a term used for a white person who argued against sla very. Though Chuck Pulanyiuk (spelling? Soz) would argue it came from Fight Club.

If I wore badges I'd get a "proud snowflake" one made.

over a year ago

What really gets me is snowflake was once a term used for a white person who argued against sla very. Though Chuck Pulanyiuk (spelling? Soz) would argue it came from Fight Club.

If I wore badges I'd get a "proud snowflake" one made. "

I'm tending to think it as a badge of honour when I see who uses it as an insult

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

I'm tending to think it as a badge of honour when I see who uses it as an insult "

I've just put it on my profile. Saves everyone time

over a year ago

"I've just put it on my profile. Saves everyone time "

I got stuck at 'inbox full of scrotum'

We just need a logo now. I mean for the snowflakes, not the scrotums

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"I've just put it on my profile. Saves everyone time

We just need a logo now. I mean for the snowflakes, not the scrotums "

What about a snowflake tattooed scrotum?

By *aliceWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Insulting people because they want fairer society/better outcomes for people is such a spectacular self own.

over a year ago

What about a snowflake tattooed scrotum? "

I'm not volunteering for this

By *otMe66Man
over a year ago

Terra Firma

They should lose street names and replace them with a number system, it would be so much easier to get around and do away with all the problems names bring to the table

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

What about a snowflake tattooed scrotum?

I'm not volunteering for this "

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

Cal "

That’s a good comparison, is it?

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

Erasing history will not erase what happened.

By *ud and BryanCouple
over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

Off to remind myself why "Whop-ma-whip-ma-gate" in York is so-called..."

Yes indeed, we found a Grope Lane in Shrewsbury (many such lanes were originally called, "Gropecunt Lane") the Victorians sanitized most such street names, as in the common, Grape Lane.

over a year ago

"Erasing history will not erase what happened."

Neither will changing street names.

We can learn about the wankers of the past without continuing to celebrate them.

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Erasing history will not erase what happened.

Neither will changing street names.

We can learn about the wankers of the past without continuing to celebrate them."

I agree

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

Could they not just bulldoze Watford?

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"Could they not just bulldoze Watford?"

That's the obvious answer but I think some people do still live there?

over a year ago

North West

Yes indeed, we found a Grope Lane in Shrewsbury (many such lanes were originally called, "Gropecunt Lane") the Victorians sanitized most such street names, as in the common, Grape Lane."

Jim's Grope Lane is the one in Shrewsbury

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

"Could they not just bulldoze Watford?

That's the obvious answer but I think some people do still live there? "

What for…..?

over a year ago

North West

"They should lose street names and replace them with a number system, it would be so much easier to get around and do away with all the problems names bring to the table"

This is how the Middle East do residential street names at least. "Building 8, Street 7, Kuwait City" or whatever......

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

What for…..?"

They have trains and there's London I think

By *inky-MinxWoman
over a year ago

Grantham

"This is how the Middle East do residential street names at least. "Building 8, Street 7, Kuwait City" or whatever...... "

New York has similar.

By *ty31Man
over a year ago

NW London

That's the obvious answer but I think some people do still live there? "

If you bulldoze Watford, how on earth would us Londoners know where The North starts

By *yron69Man
over a year ago

Fareham

I have driven through Watford a few times. Never stopped.

over a year ago

You should read my article entitled "why everyone who argues for the status quo is a rational reasoned individual and anyone who argues for change is a fanatical, virtue signalling marxist snowflake". I think you'll like it."

If we kept the staus quo then nothing would change.

By your reasoning, most of us would still be serfs - were they snow flakes for not wanting to be the property.of the Lord of the Manor??

Tolpuddle Martyrs - snowflakes?

Ending child labour, workhouses - more snowflakes?

Universal sufferage, women being allowed to vote - were the people who argued for those rights snowflakes?

Probably a bunch of snow flakes who wanted an NHS.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

If you bulldoze Watford, how on earth would us Londoners know where The North starts "

over a year ago

"I have driven through Watford a few times. Never stopped."

Do you mean through the gap in Watford lol

over a year ago

I'm tending to think it as a badge of honour when I see who uses it as an insult

I've just put it on my profile. Saves everyone time "

What’s snow flakes lol

over a year ago

"I have driven through Watford a few times. Never stopped."

You sound like a film star.

By *stbury DavenportMan
over a year ago

Nottingham

The whole "It's erasing our history" argument is a spectacular self-own in itself. It's just outright stating that you don't know what books or museums are.

Assuming it's made in good faith, of course, which it never is.

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

If we kept the staus quo then nothing would change.

By your reasoning, most of us would still be serfs - were they snow flakes for not wanting to be the property.of the Lord of the Manor??

Tolpuddle Martyrs - snowflakes?

Ending child labour, workhouses - more snowflakes?

Universal sufferage, women being allowed to vote - were the people who argued for those rights snowflakes?

Probably a bunch of snow flakes who wanted an NHS.

"

By *rhugesMan
over a year ago

Cardiff

I wonder how much this will cost !!!!

over a year ago

North West

"I wonder how much this will cost !!!!"

£7.83 + VAT