Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

TV License

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I’ve decided to get rid of it this year.

I haven’t watched TV, since coming home from holiday last June. Barely had it TV on, & if I did it was to watch either a DVD or Netflix. So why am I paying goof money on something I no longer watch?

My current contract (broadband & TV) is due to end on Feb 2nd. I’ve already done the research and found a different company who can do BB only, but now my current provider is saying that they can offer BB only (funny as last year they said they only do package deals) starting at £20 a month but they haven’t said what speed. It’s slow enough as it is. I’m not looking for advice, just having a Friday night moan really lol.

Any way can’t wait for the contract to end so I can start the new one & tell the TV licensing I’m stopping the payments lol. I know they will try and insist I’m breaking the law, but I’ve looked into it, I know what I can & can’t watch without one.

Does anyone here not (legally) have a license?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

over a year ago

Good* some typos today - I’m tired lol

By *ed-monkeyCouple
over a year ago

Hailsham

"Good* some typos today - I’m tired lol "

It's a long post, you think people noticed?

By *aliceWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

I don't have one. I watch Netflix occasionally but that's about it and haven't had conventional TV channels/sky etc for 3 years

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

I gave mine up.

By *asterandGenieCouple
over a year ago

Norfolk

No tv licence here only watch Netflix etc… so many letters and threats of an enforcement visit, bring it on your only wasting money

M

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not had one for 5+ years. Just have to go and declare you don’t need one, every two years I believe.

This has just reminded me I haven’t don’t it since I moved. So thank you

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

I’ve a friend that’s done this too.

over a year ago

Haven't had one for 10 years and I don't miss it. Streaming has all the things I'd want to watch anyway.

over a year ago

"Not had one for 5+ years. Just have to go and declare you don’t need one, every two years I believe.

This has just reminded me I haven’t don’t it since I moved. So thank you "

Welcome, haven’t heard that you need to declare it every two years…. I’ll look that up!

By *mbatman2021Man
over a year ago

Southampton

I don’t have one and have not had one for years. Its only needed to watch live broadcasted tv or to use BBC iplayer. I don’t do either of those.

over a year ago

I stopped paying my tv license last year as I only watch Netflix. They sent letters threatening an investigation but never came to anything because I declared that I didn't need a license. Got an email confirmation and a £60 refund. Never heard from them since x

By *he_Last_TitanMan
over a year ago

Bristol

I actually had someone turn up at my door once. cautioned me and everything. However, I'm not sure how normal that is. What I do know if that you need one, if you have the equipment in the house that can receive a TV signal.

over a year ago

"Not had one for 5+ years. Just have to go and declare you don’t need one, every two years I believe.

Welcome, haven’t heard that you need to declare it every two years…. I’ll look that up! "

By doing so, I have never had a letter or visit about setting up a licence. It’s simple to do on their site.

I’ve just done it again for my new property, took two minutes tops and that included googling the site lol

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

Nope chucked mine in this year. They sent someone round and got a mouthful of C. Suffice to say I don't think they'll be back anytime soon, just don't be bullied by them

P

over a year ago

This has just reminded me I haven’t don’t it since I moved. So thank you "

You don’t need to tell them every two years, they will contact you after your first declaration to make sure this is still the case

over a year ago

"Nope chucked mine in this year. They sent someone round and got a mouthful of C. Suffice to say I don't think they'll be back anytime soon, just don't be bullied by them

P"

I’ve been told that they will send someone round, but also I’m within my rights to refuse them entry.

over a year ago

"I stopped paying my tv license last year as I only watch Netflix. They sent letters threatening an investigation but never came to anything because I declared that I didn't need a license. Got an email confirmation and a £60 refund. Never heard from them since x"

They don’t like loosing money lol

over a year ago

You don’t need to tell them every two years, they will contact you after your first declaration to make sure this is still the case "

I get an email roughly every two years, asking if circumstances have changed. I just pop on, tick a couple of boxes (pretty much the same as the first declaration) submit and done, till the next time.

over a year ago

No licence here, we sent them a letter telling them we don't require one and we will use our TV as we see fit, they replied with an apology and told us they won't bother us again for two years

over a year ago

"Nope chucked mine in this year. They sent someone round and got a mouthful of C. Suffice to say I don't think they'll be back anytime soon, just don't be bullied by them

P

I’ve been told that they will send someone round, but also I’m within my rights to refuse them entry. "

I was told that too, to not let them in x

over a year ago

Got rid of mine about 5 years ago and got a refund at that time. I have the equipment as it was cheaper to get a package but the Ariel is not attached to the tv, so they’re welcome to come should they desire too.

I keep getting the threatening letters but as I’m not breaking any laws, they can get lost.

I don’t have the time or patience to be bothered to response as the last time I looked, it was innocent until proven guilty in this country.

I think that loads of people have given up their licences, so they must be getting desperate

over a year ago

"I stopped paying my tv license last year as I only watch Netflix. They sent letters threatening an investigation but never came to anything because I declared that I didn't need a license. Got an email confirmation and a £60 refund. Never heard from them since x

They don’t like loosing money lol"

They paid it anyway and the cheque went straight into my account the day I got it lol x

over a year ago

I gave up having a microwave

over a year ago

"I gave up having a microwave"

Ok… I have one. It gets used occasionally…. Probably more than my TV….. though my TV has worked hard this week as I’ve watched 5 entire series of Primeval.

over a year ago

Told them we didn’t need one...... not a single letter in 8 months!

over a year ago

Haven't had one for years.

By *hilledout-coupleCouple
over a year ago

telford

Haven’t watched tv in years but still pay it for fear of them threatening with courts etc

over a year ago

"Haven’t watched tv in years but still pay it for fear of them threatening with courts etc"

I removed the aerial to avoid any doubt.

over a year ago

"Haven’t watched tv in years but still pay it for fear of them threatening with courts etc"

They have as much power to enter your home as the milkman, just say no thank you if they come and close the door

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

[Removed by poster at 14/01/22 23:18:17]

By *ockosaurusMan
over a year ago

Warwick

"I actually had someone turn up at my door once. cautioned me and everything. However, I'm not sure how normal that is. What I do know if that you need one, if you have the equipment in the house that can receive a TV signal. "

They might try saying that, but it's rubbish and something they have tried pushing to scare people into paying.

Just like the 'TV detector vans'. No such thing, they just turned up at house that had no license.

You only need a licence if you watch or record live TV

By *iggyStarjumpsMan
over a year ago

Stockport

I havent watched telly for over 25 years, have I missed anything?

By *atnip make me purrWoman
over a year ago

Reading

"I actually had someone turn up at my door once. cautioned me and everything. However, I'm not sure how normal that is. What I do know if that you need one, if you have the equipment in the house that can receive a TV signal.

They might try saying that, but it's rubbish and something they have tried pushing to scare people into paying.

Just like the 'TV detector vans'. No such thing, they just turned up at house that had no license.

You only need a licence if you watch or record live TV

"

They didn't give me any hassle at all. Cancelled my direct debit and that was it. All over email too.

over a year ago

We banned them from the front door, removed their implied right of access.

over a year ago

They can only take you to court if they can prove you’ve been watching live TV.

My TV has Youtube & Netflix on it, but I watch YouTube on my iPad, and Netflix on the app on the tv box, which will be unplugged & returned come Feb, I don’t need a licence for either (unless watching a live feed on YouTube, which I don’t) certainly won’t be paying for something I’m not using.

Please stop giving to them.

over a year ago

"We banned them from the front door, removed their implied right of access. "

They don’t have a right of access, no one who doesn’t live there does, including the police.

over a year ago

Personally I think it's good value. No problem paying. Not sure it's necessary to be aggressive against people doing their jobs either, they're just the same as you and me. If you're doing nothing wrong there's nothing to hide.

over a year ago

"I havent watched telly for over 25 years, have I missed anything? "

No just endless repeats….

Usually I’m all excited to know what’s on at Christmas, this year I wasn’t bothered lol

over a year ago

"We banned them from the front door, removed their implied right of access.

They don’t have a right of access, no one who doesn’t live there does, including the police. "

Very true, they believe they do though, you don't have to give your name to anyone either no matter who asks

over a year ago

"Personally I think it's good value. No problem paying. Not sure it's necessary to be aggressive against people doing their jobs either, they're just the same as you and me. If you're doing nothing wrong there's nothing to hide. "

Who’s being aggressive?

If someone comes to my flat and wants to insist on coming in, and I don’t want them too, because they weren’t invited, then sorry they will have to take no for an answer.

Same as if my TV is an a corner facing away from the window (which it is) they can look through the window all they want but they won’t see anything other than my net curtains.

over a year ago

"I havent watched telly for over 25 years, have I missed anything? "

Yes

over a year ago

"Personally I think it's good value. No problem paying. Not sure it's necessary to be aggressive against people doing their jobs either, they're just the same as you and me. If you're doing nothing wrong there's nothing to hide.

Who’s being aggressive?

If someone comes to my flat and wants to insist on coming in, and I don’t want them too, because they weren’t invited, then sorry they will have to take no for an answer.

Same as if my TV is an a corner facing away from the window (which it is) they can look through the window all they want but they won’t see anything other than my net curtains. "

It's in the thread above. I'm not sure what actual problem is though. The TV Licensing website is quite clear. They say themselves that they only have a right of entry if they have a warrant to do so. And to get a warrant they have to have reasonable grounds to believe the law is being broken. So it sounds like this isn't worth getting worried about unless you're doing something wrong?

By *hoirCouple
over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

P"

I had a TV licence once. Brutal few months that was. Now I don't watch live TV and I enjoy when the cockroaches come out and demand details after months of menacing letters. The vile BBC has to end their monopoly on harassment.

C

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

I’ve never paid for a tv license

The amount of letters abs threats I’ve received is ridiculous

Nothing has ever happened

By *iss.ddWoman
over a year ago

Leeds + Newcastle

Haven't had one in over a year and the only thing I miss is just hoying the TV on for background noise whilst now I have to stop and think about what to put on.

It's not really a hardship, it's the only thing I miss though

By *igInHer14Man
over a year ago

Livingston

Never once paid it…still used the service…no hint of trouble ??

By *obyn GravesTV/TS
over a year ago

1127 walnut avenue

I ain't getting a license to be a trannie..the government can fuck off..

By *oubleswing2019Man
over a year ago

Colchester

Subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Now TV and Disney.

Monthly DD to BBC for use of iPlayer.

Why ? Because They're providing a service, like the others, and programmes don't make themselves for free. I treat it the same as the other subscription services.

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

Dont have one either cancelled about 6 years ago. They threaten you with letters all the time just ignore and Chuck in the bin.

By *htcMan
over a year ago

MK

You don't need to pay it. They have no rights unless you invite them inside to view your TV. Otherwise they can't do anything to enter your house. They will send threatening letters around 1 every month, just ignore. You are throwing money away to a company who hates the UK people.

They can't get any courts involved without solid proof of you sat there with the TV on showing a channel that is live or BBC content

By *ichaelangelaCouple
over a year ago

notts

Stopped buying a tv license 2 years ago now. Informed them but they still keep sending threatening letters and saying they are coming round and I will be prosecuted.

In fact. Postage costs on the amount of letters they have sent, it would have been cheaper to give me a free license

By *wholeLotOfRosieWoman
over a year ago

Pontypridd

If you fill in the 'don't need a licence' form on the licence website, you won't hear from them for a couple of years. After that you do the form again.

You don't have to do it, but it stops them bothering you.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

I watch youtube and netflix.

Post new Message to Thread