Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Something a bit different….

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So next week I start my first management role. I’ll be building my own team and then of course managing them.

So I’d love to hear your leadership book recommendations and/or leadership courses!

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *heonix_flamesWoman
over a year ago

Midlands

I’d say you have to find your own style. But I’ve always tried to learn from observing others- the kind of manager I’d like to be and don’t want to be. I think some managers can forget that their team are people and not just resources.

By *agneto.Man
over a year ago

Bham

Be up front, be honest, don't go prattling behind people's back. Be decisive. And don't talk in nonsence and riddles.

Really the best management course is to think of all the crap managers you've had, and you've probably had a few, and do the opposite of what they did.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Include the whole team. Listen and then be decisive and stick to your beliefs.

over a year ago

Try 'The One Minute Manager'....

Think of the shitty bosses you've had, and don't be like them....

over a year ago

"Be up front, be honest, don't go prattling behind people's back. Be decisive. And don't talk in nonsence and riddles.

Really the best management course is to think of all the crap managers you've had, and you've probably had a few, and do the opposite of what they did. "

This... which I should have read before giving my two penneth...

By *irginieWoman
over a year ago

Near Marlborough

Effective leadership is many things. Coach, mentor, communicator, motivator, dictator, decision maker, decision changer when it wasn’t right, teacher, student, builds harmony, builds strengths, helps others understand their strengths abd how that affects the team, problem solver, and door opener.

Don’t be afraid to be a new developing leader. Ask your team for feedback. Build your development plan around ensuring THEY are successful. This is always your goal.

There’s a lot of reading and learning out there.

Enjoy your new role

V x

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

Lots of people mentioned important stuff like leadership, coaching, motivation, development etc, etc.But one other thing that distinguishes good managers/leaders from great ones is humility and very important never to forget that.

By *ryandseeMan
over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Lots of people mentioned important stuff like leadership, coaching, motivation, development etc, etc.But one other thing that distinguishes good managers/leaders from great ones is humility and very important never to forget that. "

And sorry, I meant to say well done, best wishes and good luck.

By *oeBeansMan
over a year ago

Derby

Try and listen to feedback from those under you in terms of how work is going and any difficulties they face. You're going to be facing pressure from those above you to deliver one thing that may not directly affect the work your team is doing but please remember that it's you and your team that deliver the actual end product so making sure they feel listened to is important.

I'm not a manager but I have one that is out of touch with how much effort the work takes and only cares about the bottom line regardless of how those below him are progressing or the hurdles we have to clear to get the work done

By *aughty but nice...Man
over a year ago

Staffs

As an ops manager I always lead by example,build relationships with your team mentor them and make time to listen to the "non work conversations" from time to time you and your team will then become one and when that happens you will be a strong unit that can get anything done

As a bonus you'll make friends for life ??

over a year ago

Get to know your team, speak to each individually about their skills sets, knowledge aspirations so you can gauge personality types and strengths as well as weaknesses.

Listen to them....listen to what their expectations from you are and talk to them about what you expect from them

Take guidance from them, you won't know it all and they will have valuable insight

Familiarise yourself with the leadership model of team development, forming, storming, norming, performing and adjourning....and recognise that there will be discord initially, this is the most crucial stage of team development and how you handle this will set the tone for the future....Pick your battles, be objective, stand your ground be firm but fair

Good luck!

By *inky Biscuit DunkerMan
over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Being in cake and pastures from time to time as a treat. It’s good for motivating staff - honestly

By *eal couple30Couple
over a year ago

Loghborough

Lead by example!! Help them!! And like them works for me

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Thanks all! Really helpful advice luckily I’ve had some great managers in my career

over a year ago

"So next week I start my first management role. I’ll be building my own team and then of course managing them.

So I’d love to hear your leadership book recommendations and/or leadership courses! "

First of all, congratulations on the new role!

I would recommend thinking back to any poor management experiences you have ever encountered and think how they could have been managed differently, what would you have done in that position? And like someone else said, lead by example!

over a year ago

"Think of the shitty bosses you've had, and don't be like them...."

By *elshkinkyMan
over a year ago

south wales

Manage above you and lead those below you

By *hunky GentMan
over a year ago

Maldon and Peterborough

I've had a couple of manager positions.

I used the philosophy of - I work with people rather than them working for me.

over a year ago

Cake Friday.

The secret to being a great leader is cake Friday.

Also… don’t be afraid of donuts for a change.

over a year ago

I was one told by one of the guys who I managed that he was here to make me a better manager. I never thought much of it at the time then he sent me a mug with some sweets in it. On the mug he had printed that I had made him a better engineer by being a good manager. He actually did make me a better manager which fed back to the guys I managed.

over a year ago

I took my first senior manager role in June. On thing I would seriously recommend is you check in. Do the wellbeing ensure your team have what they need and take lunch etc.

Post new Message to Thread