Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Please help settle an argument

Jump to newest

By *litterbabe OP   Woman
over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

A friend of mine has a business car insurance policy that lets him drive any car at all up to £750,000.

He claims that means he can take a car off the street and drive it. (He is of course not intending to do this but this is what the point of argument was)

I feel the policy would only let him drive any vehicle with permission from the owner, or left in his care i.e. in a garage or storage facility that he has legal access to or was responsible for.

I can't see even a tiny bit of how it could be possible for him to drive someone's car without their permission.

He is adamant that I'm wrong.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

He needs permission from the owner for the insurance to cover. Otherwise its just theft.

over a year ago

Policy doesn't overule law. Needs permission from the owner.

over a year ago

He’s definitely wrong.

“That car stolen sir”

“Yes but I’m insured”

“Everything checks out, on your way”

over a year ago

"A friend of mine has a business car insurance policy that lets him drive any car at all up to £750,000.

He claims that means he can take a car off the street and drive it. (He is of course not intending to do this but this is what the point of argument was)

I feel the policy would only let him drive any vehicle with permission from the owner, or left in his care i.e. in a garage or storage facility that he has legal access to or was responsible for.

I can't see even a tiny bit of how it could be possible for him to drive someone's car without their permission.

"

He sounds like my ex.

Tell him to just take one and see what happens.

over a year ago

"He’s definitely wrong.

“That car stolen sir”

“Yes but I’m insured”

“Everything checks out, on your way”

"

Innit

over a year ago

"A friend of mine has a business car insurance policy that lets him drive any car at all up to £750,000.

"

Haha what’s the name for that again? Yeah car theft your friend is a plank !

over a year ago

That sounds like a great insurance policy.

Instead of having my own car I can just borrow any one I like

By *sBlueWoman
over a year ago

Up North

Deff need permission or he is committing an offence

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

Not sure how the insurance works, he might be covered in the case of an accident though it sounds unlikely. Pretty sure he would still be prosecuted for theft though .

over a year ago

Thats why repossessions are put on low loaders I guess

By *r SproutMan
over a year ago

the middle somewhere

Does he play a lot of GTA?

over a year ago

I can drive any car through the company I work for, but I still have to sign the keys in and out so they know I've got it and permission was granted to me on that day or week.

over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Thank you peeps

I was getting slightly frustrated with him because he was so adamant about it and it just made no sense to me whatsoever.

I'm glad it looks like I wasn't missing something somewhere and he would be breaking the law.

Please note he is not intending to take any car without permission, it was just that he said he could, rather than he was going to.

By *arker secrets 321Man
over a year ago

West Bromwich

Ur friend is tottally wrong .he needs owner permission otherwise its theft of motor vehicle and the policy wouldn't be valid if he ad accident x

over a year ago

Can we get him on I’d love to debate this theory of complete bollox with him

By *parkle1974Woman
over a year ago

Leeds

Without the owners permission, its theft x

By *acey_RedWoman
over a year ago

Liverpool

"Thank you peeps

I was getting slightly frustrated with him because he was so adamant about it and it just made no sense to me whatsoever.

I'm glad it looks like I wasn't missing something somewhere and he would be breaking the law.

Please note he is not intending to take any car without permission, it was just that he said he could, rather than he was going to."

Being insured to drive it and it being legal for him to drive it are two different things though. It's a bit like me saying if I insure my suitcase contents up to £1million that I can smuggle £1million pounds of cocaine into the country without repercussions because its insured .

By *inkyeroticaCouple
over a year ago

Ampthill

Lots of policies, not just business, allow you to drive any other car, on a third party basis, with the consent of the owner.

If the policy he is referring to is a motor trade policy, then the vehicle would need to be with the business for a reason, such as px, repair, evaluation etc. even in such cases, consent of some sort is required.

Without the consent of the owner, he won’t be covered.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man
over a year ago

BRIDPORT

The general consensus is correct.

You have to have consent to drive the vehicle for his insurance to be valid.

The ‘theft’ tag is not so corrrect.

The offence would be taking without consent.

In order to be ‘theft’ you have to prove there was an intention to not return whatever it is that has been taken.

over a year ago

Permission is always needed form the owner

over a year ago

he needs permission and it would need to be one that was in his buisness's care or being used for said buisness. not just or his own private transportation needs

By *idnight RamblerMan
over a year ago

Pershore

Most policies permit the insured to drive any vehicle WITH the owners permission, and often with third part cover only.

By *eyond PurityCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I think someone’s watched too many 2 Fast 2 Furious films

over a year ago

Provided the car which is being borrowed/driven with the owners permission has an insurance policy. If I am not mistaken.

over a year ago

"The general consensus is correct.

You have to have consent to drive the vehicle for his insurance to be valid.

The ‘theft’ tag is not so corrrect.

The offence would be taking without consent.

In order to be ‘theft’ you have to prove there was an intention to not return whatever it is that has been taken. "

Ooh really? I'm off out to 'borrow' a car.

By *nimaginativeUsernameMan
over a year ago

Rochester, Kent

Your mate’s an idiot

over a year ago

Possibly both right. He may be insured while driving a stolen car, but that doesn’t absolve him of being sentenced for driving a stolen car…

over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

Thanks all

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
over a year ago

hexham

I think everyone has pretty much jumped all over this and cleared it up so I can’t really add any more

However I am now left with a mental image of a “Plank” driving a stolen car down a motorway being pursued by the police, and said “plank” with his window wound down shouting “it’s ok officer I can assure you I am insured to drive this car “

By *TK421-Man
over a year ago

Cheltenham

Double down and ask him to prove it....

Go jump in a car and reverse it into another parked car. If his insurance covers it tell him you will pay the excess and increased premium

I think everyone is right here.....

It's with permission.

over a year ago

"I think everyone has pretty much jumped all over this and cleared it up so I can’t really add any more

However I am now left with a mental image of a “Plank” driving a stolen car down a motorway being pursued by the police, and said “plank” with his window wound down shouting “it’s ok officer I can assure you I am insured to drive this car “ "

You misinterpreted what I meant I think ? I didn’t mean literally a 4+4 plank of oak wood driving down the free way !

Just this lad obviously sounds tick as a plank of wood !

I probably should of explained that more

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS
over a year ago

hexham

"I think everyone has pretty much jumped all over this and cleared it up so I can’t really add any more

However I am now left with a mental image of a “Plank” driving a stolen car down a motorway being pursued by the police, and said “plank” with his window wound down shouting “it’s ok officer I can assure you I am insured to drive this car “

You misinterpreted what I meant I think ? I didn’t mean literally a 4+4 plank of oak wood driving down the free way !

I probably should of explained that more "

Yes… I was just amused at the term “ he’s a plank” I think it is a great saying and presents a very funny image… in my mind

over a year ago

I probably should of explained that more

Yes… I was just amused at the term “ he’s a plank” I think it is a great saying and presents a very funny image… in my mind "

Knew I didn’t have to explain it !

Sorry my bad

Post new Message to Thread