Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Rat race

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

Who dreams about selling up everything and living off grid in the country in a caravan or wooden hut ? Has anyone here done it or are doing it ?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *adeiteWoman
over a year ago

Poole, but up in lincs for a bit

That's literally my plan with my family within the next 5 years roughly.

over a year ago

I'm seriously thinking about doing this, life's passing by way to quickly and ive realised how short it is and all i do is work to pay bills

By *uby StarCouple
over a year ago

Durham

I often think about having a total lifestyle change. Some areas of my life I love, but some of it I don't. A small lottery win would make a huge difference and take some pressure off, that would mean I would fully love my life where I live now.

By *mwirralMan
over a year ago

wirral

I'm planning on travelling in motorhome for a couple of years

By *usman 199Man
over a year ago

Stockport

I would honestly up sticks tomorrow and move to Tenerife. Wife not keen worried about not seeing grandkids . But yes would happily quit the rat race .

By *luebell888Woman
over a year ago

Glasgowish

I would love to live in a little cottage somewhere remote.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Who dreams about selling up everything and living off grid in the country in a caravan or wooden hut ? Has anyone here done it or are doing it ? "

Not really. I love where I live, and I enjoy creature comforts too much to give them up

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I've thought about this before. I like the idea of living off the land, being self sufficient and all that.

Maybe still have access to WiFi, but limited, like an hour a day or something.

Not sure I'd want to be totally remote though, I'd still like to be able to go to the city now and then.

over a year ago

"I would honestly up sticks tomorrow and move to Tenerife. Wife not keen worried about not seeing grandkids . But yes would happily quit the rat race ."

I'm the same Majorca is calling but i doubt that will ever happen unless i win the lottery but seriously thinking about selling up and trying to buy a bit of land and just live in a caravan with very little expenses and just try and enjoy the rest of my life rather than getting up at 4am everyday until i die, lol

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I would love to live in a little cottage somewhere remote."

Not difficult in Scotland. What’s stopping you? Lots of remote areas, and then there’s the islands!

over a year ago

"I've thought about this before. I like the idea of living off the land, being self sufficient and all that.

Not sure I'd want to be totally remote though, I'd still like to be able to go to the city now and then. "

Agreed,not isolated but just far enough away to feel free from the day to day grind of life.

over a year ago

"I would love to live in a little cottage somewhere remote.

Not difficult in Scotland. What’s stopping you? Lots of remote areas, and then there’s the islands! "

Too cold for me

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I've thought about this before. I like the idea of living off the land, being self sufficient and all that.

Not sure I'd want to be totally remote though, I'd still like to be able to go to the city now and then. "

Being self sufficient is extremely difficult to achieve. Very hard work. 365 days a year.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"I would love to live in a little cottage somewhere remote.

Not difficult in Scotland. What’s stopping you? Lots of remote areas, and then there’s the islands!

Too cold for me "

Me too, but the poster I was responding to is in Glasgow.

I was in Dornoch in late September one year ... absolutely Baltic, can’t imagine what it’s like in winter

over a year ago

Yes, have discussed this often with my other half, not sure if would go completely off grid as such. But would be more of a semi-retirement thing for us.

over a year ago

"Who dreams about selling up everything and living off grid in the country in a caravan or wooden hut ? Has anyone here done it or are doing it ? "

This is the dream, wasnt expecting many people to want this but I’m surprised, I’m not the only one haha

By *ungleTemptressWoman
over a year ago

The Jungle

Yes! Want to open my own wildlife sanctuary somewhere hot and remote

over a year ago

"Yes! Want to open my own wildlife sanctuary somewhere hot and remote "

Going by your pics id enjoy visiting your wildlife sanctuary being naked in the bushes looks fun

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Sounds good but winter could be difficult.

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Who dreams about selling up everything and living off grid in the country in a caravan or wooden hut ? Has anyone here done it or are doing it ?

This is the dream, wasnt expecting many people to want this but I’m surprised, I’m not the only one haha"

Living in a caravan or a hut is “the dream”?

I’m quite happy living in a warm house

By *ategoodbyeMan
over a year ago

Hertfordshire

I could do it. I spent five years living in my car, and while it was horrible, I couldn’t have done it if I didn’t have a vagabond soul.

Charlotte wouldn’t, though. She needs a nest to feel comfortable.

over a year ago

Life is way too short on average we live for 78 years during that time we sleep for 26years alot of us work long hours equating to another 26 years leaving the last 26 years for everything else .shopping,washing ,cleaning,ect leaving only a little time left for our own enjoyment .our advice to anyone is dont wait live now and live your dreams

By *om and JennieCouple
over a year ago

Chams or Socials

I used to love watching the off griders in alaska, its something i would consider we even have a caravan-D

T

over a year ago

"Life is way too short on average we live for 78 years during that time we sleep for 26years alot of us work long hours equating to another 26 years leaving the last 26 years for everything else .shopping,washing ,cleaning,ect leaving only a little time left for our own enjoyment .our advice to anyone is dont wait live now and live your dreams "

This is exactly what I'm realising, thought it might be a midlife crisis but its more of a need to change than a want

By *immyinreadingMan
over a year ago

henley on thames

"Life is way too short on average we live for 78 years during that time we sleep for 26years alot of us work long hours equating to another 26 years leaving the last 26 years for everything else .shopping,washing ,cleaning,ect leaving only a little time left for our own enjoyment .our advice to anyone is dont wait live now and live your dreams "

Completely agree, which is why I am semi-retired, prioritising friends, family and interests over work.

But the “dream” of living in a hut or a caravan is not for me. I think that people often idealise remoteness and Spartan living until faced with the daily realities. I know several people who have moved to their dream retirement place and moved back after a few years, the novelty of the “dream” having worn off. In several cases that involved moving countries, where people had decided to retire to the sun. And in one case, the couple tried the same move twice.

Follow your dreams. But be sensible and keep your eyes open!

over a year ago

Just do it tomorrows not guaranteed and remember the only currency worth anything is time they saying" spending time" exists cos its the only thing you cant buy anymore of

By *etcplCouple
over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

No, I would miss my comforts too much.

Post new Message to Thread