Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Self publishing writing

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

I know this is likely a random place to ask but I'm often surprised by some of the information people have on here!

So here goes..

I love to write. I write fiction and yes it does get a bit erotic. I know writers are ten a penny and I know I'm not particularly special in my ability but I've always fancied self publishing a collection of stories.

A quick Google has pointed me towards amazon kindle to do this. I wondered if anyone has any experience of doing this?

I don't expect to have the next best seller, It is just something I've always wanted to do.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

If you do a forum search for ‘Erotic writing group’, monkeytennis1 gave some great advice on this topic.

By *dquestCouple
over a year ago

Peterborough

Web have three swinging books on Amazon kindle. It was an easy process.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

I don't have experience and can't help.

But...good luck with however uou do it

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

"I know this is likely a random place to ask but I'm often surprised by some of the information people have on here!

So here goes..

I love to write. I write fiction and yes it does get a bit erotic. I know writers are ten a penny and I know I'm not particularly special in my ability but I've always fancied self publishing a collection of stories.

A quick Google has pointed me towards amazon kindle to do this. I wondered if anyone has any experience of doing this?

I don't expect to have the next best seller, It is just something I've always wanted to do.

"

I don't have any experience. But a guy I listen to on the radio wrote a book at the end of last year, published it on Amazon start of this year. I think it's pretty straight forward.

over a year ago

"Web have three swinging books on Amazon kindle. It was an easy process. "

That's good to know! Hope it's gone well for you.

over a year ago

"If you do a forum search for ‘Erotic writing group’, monkeytennis1 gave some great advice on this topic."

Thanks

over a year ago

"I don't have experience and can't help.

But...good luck with however uou do it "

Thank you x

By *icecouple561Couple
Forum Mod

over a year ago

East Sussex

I think Amazon walk you through the process

By *naswingdressWoman
over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

There are Reddit groups on the subject. Worth looking into

over a year ago

Search for Amazon KDP. It’s really easy to sign up, and then you can self publish online.

Monkey tennis’s thread was really good.

over a year ago

I bumped his thread

By *wing-a-LingCouple
over a year ago

London

"I know this is likely a random place to ask but I'm often surprised by some of the information people have on here!

So here goes..

"

As others have mentioned, you'll need a KDP account to publish on Amazon. Fairly straightforward to register then you'll be ready to go. A few things to consider:

1) If I recall correctly you'll need to send your National Insurance number on Amazon's tax form so any sales you make is not taxed additionally. The US has a witholding law where they take a chunk out of your sales for tax (something like 30%). They have a treaty with the UK though, so if you can prove you pay tax here by providing your NI number you'll bypass the additional witholding from US.

2) Do you write romance or erotica? Romance is a huge and very profitable (albeit competitive) market. If your stories are focused on the characters' relationship journey then it can be classed as romance no matter how steamy it is (within reason. See point 5). However if sex is the main focus then it may be better classed as erotica. Romance readers are very particular about this difference.

3) You'll need to decide if you want to publish in Kindle Unlimited, which is Amazon's version of Netflix for books, or if you want to publish wide. Putting your books in KU means you aren't allowed to publish it on any other platform for the duration your book is enrolled in KU. If you decide to go wide then you can put your book for sale on any retailer. You'll be given the option to choose during the publishing process.

4) Keywords. You can choose up to seven. If you put erotic or erotica in there, your book might automatically get filed under that category. If it does, your book won't appear on searches. This is another place where the distinction between romance and erotica appears. If you scroll through the romance best sellers on Amazon's Kindle store, it's fairly obvious that some of them are blatant erotica. But the authors tweak the story slightly and pass it off as romance. As long as certain tropes are met (no cheating, happily ever after/happy for now ending) you could class your book as romance and reach more readers.

5) Even though there are all kinds of steam levels in the books on the market, Amazon does have their limits. Werewolf sex, alien sex, arranged marriage with a sexy mafia boss and reverse harems (one woman, many men) are all fine and dandy. Illegally taboo topics aren't, and will likely get your book dungeoned.

The above is just a general idea about publishing on Amazon.

What's important is that you're planning to self publish a book. That's great news and I wish you the very best.

A very helpful place to check out is r/eroticauthors on Reddit. It is quite an active forum and the members are in both the romance and erotica genre. Lots and lots of useful info from craft to publishing.

Good luck

over a year ago

So here goes..

"

I have done it with 3 non-fiction martial arts titles. It’s easy and mostly pain free. Though you do tend to get author copies (if print) many weeks after general sale

Post new Message to Thread