Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

That's a shame...

Jump to newest

By *adyJayne OP   Woman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

When you say thanks but no thanks, I've found that you either get abuse, or the person responds with "that's a shame".

It's something that takes me from anger to confusion and back again in pretty rapid sucession...

A shame for whom?

The person who sent the original message?

Why is it a shame?

Why would you want to meet someone who doesn't reciprocate the feeling?

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *orthern StarsCouple
over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

That's a response we receive too, at least it's polite.

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

Abuse is shit and no excuse for it!

I'd say what's meant is... it's a shame reciprocation of feelings wasn't mutual.

So a shame for them.

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

Not a native speaker of the language. But I think "That's a shame" just means that person is disappointed.

over a year ago

"

"

I suspect they mean it is a shame (to them) that you don't reciprocate their feelings.

Really don't know why this is hard to understand.

Mr

over a year ago

"Abuse is shit and no excuse for it!

I'd say what's meant is... it's a shame reciprocation of feelings wasn't mutual.

So a shame for them. "

This. ^

I would take it that THEY think it’s a shame (for them) as they would have liked to meet you. Not a slight or insult I don’t think.

Like if I went to the supermarket and they said they’d sold out of cheese (which I LOVE) then I might say “that’s a shame” as I can’t have a cheesy treat!

By *adyJayne OP   Woman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"

I suspect they mean it is a shame (to them) that you don't reciprocate their feelings.

Mr"

I don't understand the need for them to say it, what are they expecting me to reply...

Is it a pity plea? I obviously dont think its a shame, because I said i wasn’t wanting to meet them, why is any further comment even needed?

By *orny PTMan
over a year ago

Peterborough

"Not a native speaker of the language. But I think "That's a shame" just means that person is disappointed."

Absolutely, they're just being honest with you and saying that "It's not the answer I was waiting for, but happy FABing" whilst trying not to sound too diaspointed.

Rejection isn't nice: just like not getting job interviews and most of us know that feeling.

over a year ago

"

Mr

I don't understand the need for them to say it, what are they expecting me to reply...

Is it a pity plea? I obviously dont think its a shame, because I said i wasn’t wanting to meet them, why is any further comment even needed? "

“Good morning”

“Good morning to you too”

“Nice weather isn’t it?”

“Yes, but it might rain later”

“Ah that’s a shame”

“Yes it is. Hopefully it won’t though”

“Yes. Hopefully it’ll hold off”

“Well take care and look after yourself”

“You too. Bye”

“Bye”

I mean WHY is any further comment needed after the initial Good Mornings!?

By *utcock61Man
over a year ago

glasgow

Because its nice to be nice.

By *TK421-Man
over a year ago

Cheltenham

All people get from me is 'okay, happy fabbing'.

Life is to short and we are all different...

Happy Fabbing people

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"All people get from me is 'okay, happy fabbing'.

Life is to short and we are all different...

Happy Fabbing people "

. And happy tabbing to you too

over a year ago

"

Mr

Is it a pity plea? I obviously dont think its a shame, because I said i wasn’t wanting to meet them, why is any further comment even needed? "

I entirely agree. Its a reply irritates me as if I'm missing out or have made the wrong choice by declining. Its really not a shame for anyone.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

They’re just being polite, they’re not trying to change your mind. It’s meant as a compliment.

By *ora the explorerWoman
over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I don’t think that would make me angry. Doesn’t seem that bad a thing to say.

over a year ago

"

Mr

They’re probably not expecting a reply, as somebody said it’s just an acknowledgment that you replied and that it’s a shame for them.

With all the posts I see about people not getting replies maybe he/they are just happy they did and wanted to just let you know it’s a shame, it’s polite? Not like they told you to fuck off..

What I take from this is,

Men are shit

Men with manners are shit

Men with no manners are shit

Even the polite ones can’t do right for doing wrong

By *imi_RougeWoman
over a year ago

Portsmouth

My pet hate!! Can't stand it when people say that

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

Mr

Is it a pity plea? I obviously dont think its a shame, because I said i wasn’t wanting to meet them, why is any further comment even needed?

They’re probably not expecting a reply, as somebody said it’s just an acknowledgment that you replied and that it’s a shame for them.

With all the posts I see about people not getting replies maybe he/they are just happy they did and wanted to just let you know it’s a shame, it’s polite? Not like they told you to fuck off..

Men are shit

Even the polite ones can’t do right for doing wrong "

Exactly what I thought .

over a year ago

"

Mr

I entirely agree. Its a reply irritates me as if I'm missing out or have made the wrong choice by declining. Its really not a shame for anyone. "

Maybe you’re misinterpreting it?

Obviously I can’t comment for the person the OP is referring to, but I often say “ah that’s a shame” when I’M disappointed in something, and not implying in any way it’s their loss.

* The football later has been postponed. Ah that’s a shame I was looking forwards to going to that *

Obviously in this context we can’t ascertain the tone of voice / body language but it might not necessarily have been meant in a negative way.

By *ixedDevilMan
over a year ago

Bootyville

My usual response is just “no worries, have a good day”

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"

Mr

Men are shit

Exactly what I thought . "

Me too

By *ulldog_71Man
over a year ago

Sedgefield

Personally I just say no problem and thanks for the reply.

By *dwalu2Couple
over a year ago

Bristol

"

Mr

I entirely agree. Its a reply irritates me as if I'm missing out or have made the wrong choice by declining. Its really not a shame for anyone. "

You really have to twist the words out of their clear meaning to interpret them this way though.

You’re free to be irritated by whatever you want, but it seems like going out of your way to annoy yourself.

over a year ago

"

Mr

The OP and this post come across as utterly entitled. There is no need to reply to anyone, you are right and it may well be pointless but if you really have so little empathy that you cannot fathom why another person would express their disappointment at being turned down then nothing anyone says here is going to help you understand.

Mr

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

That's a shame = disappointed

By *ature BBW Lover 69Man
over a year ago

exeter

"When you say thanks but no thanks, I've found that you either get abuse, or the person responds with "that's a shame".

It's something that takes me from anger to confusion and back again in pretty rapid sucession...

A shame for whom?

Why is it a shame?

To be fair , looking at your profile I think I would think it would be a shame if you didn’t want to .Abuse is never called for though Very nice BTW

"

By *jorkishMan
over a year ago

Seaforth

"

Mr

The OP and this post come across as utterly entitled. There is no need to reply to anyone, you are right and it may well be pointless but if you really have so little empathy that you cannot fathom why another person would express their disappointment at being turned down then nothing anyone says here is going to help you understand.

Mr"

By *ature BBW Lover 69Man
over a year ago

exeter

"When you say thanks but no thanks, I've found that you either get abuse, or the person responds with "that's a shame".

A shame for whom?

Why is it a shame?

To be fair , looking at your profile I think I would think it would be a shame if you didn’t want to .Abuse is never called for though Very nice BTW

"

over a year ago

"

Mr

They probably mean it as a compliment but I agree with what you say above.

over a year ago

"

Mr

Do you ever consider that other people may feel differently to you? Or are you really so self centered that you genuinely believe that just because you aren't disappointed by something not happening, no one else can possibly feel differently?

Mr

over a year ago

Horses for courses.

Nowt as strange as folk.

over a year ago

"

Mr

I entirely agree. Its a reply irritates me as if I'm missing out or have made the wrong choice by declining. Its really not a shame for anyone.

Do you ever consider that other people may feel differently to you? Or are you really so self centered that you genuinely believe that just because you aren't disappointed by something not happening, no one else can possibly feel differently?

Mr"

Can you not understand that she feels this way and doesn't like when people make the comment? Or should she conform to how you see it?

She's not self centred, she is entitled to not like the comment as per the OP.

Women are allowed to have feelings.

over a year ago

We just say " No thanks. Take care" obvious that we arnt interested.

Sometimes get "thanks for replying" that sort of thing , which is ok anything else or more messages we just block them.

By *adyJayne OP   Woman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"What I take from this is,

Men are shit

Even the polite ones can’t do right for doing wrong "

I mean, you can assume that's only come from men - you'd be wrong... it's mainly couples

over a year ago

"

Mr

Mr

Can you not understand that she feels this way and doesn't like when people make the comment? Or should she conform to how you see it?

Women are allowed to have feelings. "

Nah, he’s right.

She said above “it’s really not a shame for anyone”

It was. For the person that said it.

Men are allowed to have feelings!

By *iss SJWoman
over a year ago

Hull

I always think it’s the same as when they start with ‘it’s a shame you’re not meeting’ or ‘it’s a shame you’re so far away’… they don’t know what else to say.

over a year ago

"

Mr

Mr

Women are allowed to have feelings. "

I didn't say she couldn't have feelings ir very upset or feel whatever she wants. In this particular reply I objected to the statement "it's really not a shame for anyone". It isn't me that is denying others rights to have their own feelings.

Mr

over a year ago

"What I take from this is,

Men are shit

I mean, you can assume that's only come from men - you'd be wrong... it's mainly couples"

I would assume that because you said “the person that sent the original message”.. person, singular.

By *adyJayne OP   Woman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"

Mr"

Actually to add to this... I also make it clear I am autistic...

Neurotypical people say what they actually mean less than 50% of the time... most ND people spend hours trying to work out what the subtext or meaning is... so actually yes, it is so hard to understand

over a year ago

"

Mr

Neurotypical people say what they actually mean less than 50% of the time... most ND people spend hours trying to work out what the subtext or meaning is... so actually yes, it is so hard to understand "

over a year ago

"

Mr

Mr"

Thanks for your comments. Maybe i am being self centred by not understanding other peoples disappointment. 95% of the time ‘its a shame’ is said with the implication that declining is wrong on your part. ‘Its a shame, you're missing out’, ‘its a shame as i would be good for you’.

I sometimes reply that its not a shame and actually try to compliment the person ie they have a great profile or someone more local would be easier for them to visit.

over a year ago

"

Mr

Neurotypical people say what they actually mean less than 50% of the time... most ND people spend hours trying to work out what the subtext or meaning is... so actually yes, it is so hard to understand "

They are saying exactly what they mean. They feel that it is a shame that you don't want to meet them. Saying "that is a shame" isn't an allegory or or a metaphor. It simply means *they* feel it is a shame their interest isn't reciprocated. There is no subtext to work out.

Mr

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

Mr

Mr

Thanks for your comments. Maybe i am being self centred by not understanding other peoples disappointment. 95% of the time ‘its a shame’ is said with the implication that declining is wrong on your part. ‘Its a shame, you're missing out’, ‘its a shame as i would be good for you’.

I sometimes reply that its not a shame and actually try to compliment the person ie they have a great profile or someone more local would be easier for them to visit. "

See I would read it as aw it’s a shame I would have liked to meet you rather than it’s a shame you’re missing out by not meeting me. Shows how people interpret things differently.

over a year ago

"

Mr

This seems to imply that you recognise that people think in different ways.

Therefore, given this, is it fair to say that as you don’t know whether the intention of the person saying “that’s a shame” was negative or positive, you have a choice to be either “glass half full” or “glass half empty” about it.

In the case of ambiguity over trivial matters I tend to assume the positive. If I’m wrong and they meant it negativity then as it’s such a trivial matter then it’s really no great shakes and I haven’t got myself upset over it.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

Mr

Neurotypical people say what they actually mean less than 50% of the time... most ND people spend hours trying to work out what the subtext or meaning is... so actually yes, it is so hard to understand

They are saying exactly what they mean. They feel that it is a shame that you don't want to meet them. Saying "that is a shame" isn't an allegory or or a metaphor. It simply means *they* feel it is a shame their interest isn't reciprocated. There is no subtext to work out.

Mr"

There clearly is though as shown in the other comment. How I’d interpret it and how the other lady does.

over a year ago

"

Mr

Mr

I sometimes reply that its not a shame and actually try to compliment the person ie they have a great profile or someone more local would be easier for them to visit. "

If they said "it is a shame that you're missing out" then fair enough. If they just say "that's a shame" then I cannot see how that carries any such implication. Maybe I'm being autistic now?

If someone turned you down and you said "that's a shame" would you mean that you were disappointed or that you believe they had made a mistake and were losing out?

Mr

over a year ago

This thread is too much for me now.

I’m out.

Shame.

By *AYENCouple
over a year ago

Lincolnshire

If it irritates you, why not block the person/people once you have replied - it would save you all that anger and irritation. Or better still, set it so you can't receive any messages from randoms, and instead only contact those you like the look of.

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"This thread is too much for me now.

I’m out.

Shame."

That is a shame

over a year ago

"

Mr

Mr

There clearly is though as shown in the other comment. How I’d interpret it and how the other lady does. "

Yes, seems I am wrong on this. I suspect that you and I would interpret it the way we do because that is the way we would mean it were we to use the phrase?

Mr

Yes,

over a year ago

1 I don’t send unsolicited messages

2 I don’t expect any messages

3 I chat to few lady’s on hear non sexual content

4 I don’t get angry upset because I don’t give a shit

over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"

Mr

Mr

There clearly is though as shown in the other comment. How I’d interpret it and how the other lady does.

Yes, seems I am wrong on this. I suspect that you and I would interpret it the way we do because that is the way we would mean it were we to use the phrase?

Mr

Yes, "

Yes. I wouldn’t even think to interpret it any other way. Perhaps it is a glass half full/half empty thing as someone else said.

over a year ago

"

Mr

Mr

Mr

Yes, "

I agree.

I have had experience of people saying "it's a shame" and then continuing to message, trying to change my mind and not taking no for an answer.

It may well be a compliment sometimes. Other times it's just a ploy to try and get a meet anyway, even though the person said "no". Hence the annoyance.

over a year ago

"

Mr

Mr

I sometimes reply that its not a shame and actually try to compliment the person ie they have a great profile or someone more local would be easier for them to visit.

If they said "it is a shame that you're missing out" then fair enough. If they just say "that's a shame" then I cannot see how that carries any such implication. Maybe I'm being autistic now?

If someone turned you down and you said "that's a shame" would you mean that you were disappointed or that you believe they had made a mistake and were losing out?

Mr"

As someone else said i think we just interpret things differently. The definition of the word shame is so negative i wouldn't want people to feel like that. In turn i wouldn't use the phrase if i was declined by anyone. I would accept their choice and wish them well.

By *adyJayne OP   Woman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"They are saying exactly what they mean. They feel that it is a shame that you don't want to meet them. Saying "that is a shame" isn't an allegory or or a metaphor. It simply means *they* feel it is a shame their interest isn't reciprocated. There is no subtext to work out.

Mr"

Someone (a man as it happens) who is too new to fab to post on the forums sent me a reply as a message that says he thinks there is subtext and that it's likely sour grapes and that they want me to feel like I'm missing out...

Again, most neurotypicals say one thing but mean another... I'm ot talking about metaphors or allegorical comment... straight up just not being blunt...

Although as much as I hate people saying "oh maybe I'm a bit autistic" you're certainly blunt enough in how you voice your opinion

By *aliceWoman
over a year ago

Birmingham

Context is important. 'It's a shame' can be an innocent slightly awkward way of trying to politely deal with a rejection but it can also feel like an invalidation of preference.

'I'm busy tonight'

'That's a shame'

Is very diferrent from

'I'm gay/not into x as my profile makes clear'

'That's a shame"

By *entleman JayMan
over a year ago

Wakefield

Not from me. I reply with Happy Fabbing.

By *adyJayne OP   Woman
over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

"If it irritates you, why not block the person/people once you have replied - it would save you all that anger and irritation. Or better still, set it so you can't receive any messages from randoms, and instead only contact those you like the look of. "

I have my messages open because over the years I've had some great conversations with people regarding forum topics etc that I wouldn't have been able to have otherwise.

A lot of the topics I post on are around bdsm/kink and having been in the scene 20+ years, many of them involved in events and as an educator I'm happy to share knowledge and information on the topics...

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple
over a year ago

Coventry

Either of these responses IMO just confirm your they are not for you. Just block and carry on. Although I never understand what people hope to achieve with such responses?

Mr

By *nabelle21Woman
over a year ago

B38

"Either of these responses IMO just confirm your they are not for you. Just block and carry on. Although I never understand what people hope to achieve with such responses?

Mr"

Maybe it's just their way to end the chat...so they don't look ignorant when being knocked back.

Maybe they expect nothing.

By *3nsesMan
over a year ago

Dublin

I've probably used the "it's a shame" lone before. It kinda has no meaning though. Just seems like one of the common things to throw out in those situations.

As someone said above, sometimes as a guy you do feel you're going to be damned if you do and damned of you don't.

By *isbehavingWoman
over a year ago

Huntly

I’ve found many to say it’s courteous to say no thanks if you’re not interested. There have been times I’ve said that, and just had a torrent of abuse. Some just have fragile egos it seems

By *annaBeStrongMan
over a year ago

w

It’s a shame doesn’t = I wish you’d still meet me

It’s just a shame

I don’t get the confusion

over a year ago

There seems to be a lot of confusion going around here. The words "shame" in this context is not used literally. It just means disappointment.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/shame

Like "It's a shame that the event had to be cancelled"

It's a completely normal and decent reply. Not sure why people are pissed off about this.

By *smCouple
over a year ago

Liskeard

In a similar vein

Why send a message starting with

It’s a shame .. examples I’ve had ..

It’s a shame you’re so far away,

It’s a shame you’re too old for me,

Shame you’re not skinny!

Why even bother sending that message to start with!

over a year ago

"In a similar vein

Why send a message starting with

It’s a shame .. examples I’ve had ..

It’s a shame you’re so far away,

It’s a shame you’re too old for me,

Shame you’re not skinny!

Why even bother sending that message to start with!"

Women just look at me, screw up their nose, and walk away shaking their head muttering “shame” ..

By *xploring_FunWoman
over a year ago

Coventry

Replies saying “That’s a shame” don’t bother me.

I do have an irrational dislike of “That’s a shame, you’d have liked me” or “That’s a shame, you would have had a good time”. To me that has an implication that I’ve somehow made the wrong choice and deprived myself, when actually I know me better than they do.

That said it’s not as irritating as the reply of “Oh, I didn’t actually mean to send you that”. The implication to that is just rude.

over a year ago

It’s a shame people get annoyed by people sending messages.

Post new Message to Thread