Already registered?
Login here

Back to forum list
Back to The Lounge

Computer nerds! ASSEMBLE!

Jump to newest

By (user no longer on site) OP   
over a year ago

So im having a problem with an old laptop ive recently inherited. I have no idea on the model but its a Dell, pretty big too and top of line (in 2013 anyway), so i dont believe its a simple notebook. Its running on windows 8.1 which i do intend to get rid of, likely upgrade to windows 10 though id rather stick with what i know and go with windows 7.

The problem im facing is a severely corrupted system file from a 3rd party program, possibly from a game or one of the programs my dad installed. Unfortunately after some research theres very little i can do about the corrupted file, my only option, and the route ive been wanting to take is a complete system wipe to factory settings... but heres the problem... the corrupted system file has been preventing any kind of factory reset, from the desktop, from console commands or even through BIOS, or whatever that atrocious windows 8 equivalent is.

Unfortunately i dont have a boot disk to use, so i was wondering if theres any solution out there that doesnt involve downloading ISO files (cos the laptop is so chocker block with crap it can barely load anything), and if theres a way to forcibly perform a factory reset.

Ive tried googling some walkthroughs but most are vague, incorrect, or failed to work.

Reply privatelyReply in forumReply +quote

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I feel your pain good sir - I have exactly the same problem

over a year ago

"I feel your pain good sir - I have exactly the same problem

"

Its just incredibly frustrating to do a simple factory reset only for one file to completely wreck the whole system. Even more so when the laptop is far moree powerful than the onr im currently using which is now plagued with memory crashes. Piece of crap cant even update to windows 7 SP2 so im having to run on outdated graphics drivers. And sadly no memory stick or external drive to store my stuff on to give the heap of junk a clean out

By (user no longer on site)
over a year ago

I read it but I can't say much of it made any sense.

I wish you luck.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

Its just incredibly frustrating to do a simple factory reset only for one file to completely wreck the whole system. Even more so when the laptop is far moree powerful than the onr im currently using which is now plagued with memory crashes. Piece of crap cant even update to windows 7 SP2 so im having to run on outdated graphics drivers. And sadly no memory stick or external drive to store my stuff on to give the heap of junk a clean out"

I’m on Windows 10 with the same issue; I tried a complete reset (both one that saves some files and then in desperation, a full wipe) but thanks to the corrupted file, the operation couldn’t be completed.

I decided to try a system restore also to an earlier point (hopefully pre-problem) but it outright refused to perform this action to

over a year ago

"I read it but I can't say much of it made any sense.

I wish you luck. "

Despite being totally unhelpful, that was entertaining nonetheless

Thank you

over a year ago

Ive learnt no one ever gives tech away thats any good, especially family, there's always a catch! Good luck

By *hristopherd999Man
over a year ago

Brentwood

I had a similar issue,was actually hard drive failure

over a year ago

"the problem im facing is a severely corrupted system file from a 3rd party program, possibly from a game or one of the programs my dad installed. Unfortunately after some research theres very little i can do about the corrupted file, my only option, and the route ive been wanting to take is a complete system wipe to factory settings... but heres the problem... the corrupted system file has been preventing any kind of factory reset, from the desktop, from console commands or even through BIOS, or whatever that atrocious windows 8 equivalent is.

."

I’ll be honest, this kinda reads like the bit in Jurassic Park where the kid hacks the security system and sees a graphical polygon screen and says something like “it’s unix, I know how to access this!” - I mean this in a helpful way

You need to define the issue with doing reinstalls, and how you identified the corrupt file, because I’m not understanding what you are describing at all. Happy to get screenshots via messaging and more details, and will try to help if I can but it’s really hard to do it remotely when the other end isn’t describing stuff well - like the groan I get when my dad says ‘my phones logged me out and I can’t do anything’ oh really ……

Side note if you want to get to win 10 you need an iso anyway soooo, my first guess is just download that, or the installer (which will just….download the iso). If your machine can’t hold that, you’re in a different world of pain regardless.

over a year ago

Its just incredibly frustrating to do a simple factory reset only for one file to completely wreck the whole system. Even more so when the laptop is far moree powerful than the onr im currently using which is now plagued with memory crashes. Piece of crap cant even update to windows 7 SP2 so im having to run on outdated graphics drivers. And sadly no memory stick or external drive to store my stuff on to give the heap of junk a clean out

I’m on Windows 10 with the same issue; I tried a complete reset (both one that saves some files and then in desperation, a full wipe) but thanks to the corrupted file, the operation couldn’t be completed.

I decided to try a system restore also to an earlier point (hopefully pre-problem) but it outright refused to perform this action to "

Is windows 10 really worth the upgrade from windows 7? Some ppl make the argument that windows 7 is now more susceptible to viruses but in all honesty, malware is usually built to target the most commonly used OS, so windows 8-10 and soon windows 11. So im sure a decent anti virus shpuld be able to handle any attacks on windows 7

Im just apprehensive to go to windows 10 as 8 and 8.1 are simply awful, and id rather stick with what i know and use windows 7, though im unsure of how it will run on a laptop from 2013 that had windows 8 as factory standard

As for your problem, which is likely the only solution for mine, a boot disk should solve the issue. And obviously use an external drive to back up all your stuff beforehand

over a year ago

This is nothing a sledgehammer won’t solve

By *m389Man
over a year ago

Bromley

If it’s so corrupted that you can’t get into Dells own system restore (before it loads Windows) then you probably need to wipe the whole thing.

Low level reformat and new fresh install from DVD.

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Your best bet is to do a fresh install to Windows 10 (7 will work but no longer supported...and it takes a long to install now!). Usually trying to fix Windows can be troublesome and leave the system in an unstable state. Download iso for free from Microsoft and either use usb drive or dvd to create it then. Easy to install and there are plenty of tutorials on youtube to optimise Windows 10. Your laptop will also be much faster with a fresh install.

over a year ago

"the problem im facing is a severely corrupted system file from a 3rd party program, possibly from a game or one of the programs my dad installed. Unfortunately after some research theres very little i can do about the corrupted file, my only option, and the route ive been wanting to take is a complete system wipe to factory settings... but heres the problem... the corrupted system file has been preventing any kind of factory reset, from the desktop, from console commands or even through BIOS, or whatever that atrocious windows 8 equivalent is.

I’ll be honest, this kinda reads like the bit in Jurassic Park where the kid hacks the security system and sees a graphical polygon screen and says something like “it’s unix, I know how to access this!” - I mean this in a helpful way

You need to define the issue with doing reinstalls, and how you identified the corrupt file, because I’m not understanding what you are describing at all. Happy to get screenshots via messaging and more details, and will try to help if I can but it’s really hard to do it remotely when the other end isn’t describing stuff well - like the groan I get when my dad says ‘my phones logged me out and I can’t do anything’ oh really ……

Side note if you want to get to win 10 you need an iso anyway soooo, my first guess is just download that, or the installer (which will just….download the iso). If your machine can’t hold that, you’re in a different world of pain regardless."

Lol no i get you, i actually cant remember much of what i saw when i went through the whole process like 2 weeks ago (my memory is terrible )

I cant remember how i found it but there was a particular file that was mentioned in an error message, did a quick search and apparently its some file from a 3rd party program to prevent code copying. I believe it was when i ran a diagnosti (hammer F8 on start up to go into advanced boot options), one of the error codes was "0xc0000428" which indicated a system file was corrupted.

When it came to doing the factory reset, it got to "Preparing 'blah blah blah' " but it failed to begin the reset, i couldnt do it through the advanced boot options screen either, just failed to continue the process.

As far as downloading ISOs, i simply cant do it, i tried loading web browsers and it just sat there loading the windows for over half an hour, theres just way too much crap on that laptop to do anything. It barely gets onto the desktop after logging in.

When i get round to it ill send you some screenshots to be more specific, provided that it fails which im certain it will. I have terrible memory loss so most of the specifics of what i tried are gone from memory

By *2000ManMan
over a year ago

Worthing

Ask a friend to download the iso for you.

over a year ago

"If it’s so corrupted that you can’t get into Dells own system restore (before it loads Windows) then you probably need to wipe the whole thing.

Low level reformat and new fresh install from DVD."

I can access the advanced boot options screen but beyond that theres very little it offers me in terms of options. I tried to do a full system wipe from there but the corrupted system file still prevented it. Hence my predicament, and my asking if theres a way to force the sytem wipe and ignore the corrupt file without downloading an ISO or needing a boot disk

over a year ago

"Ask a friend to download the iso for you."

I dont have any friends

No seriously though i dont have any close by that would be able to help, only my stepdad (astranged after mother passed) who lives in the next town and i bet you can imagine that option wont provide much help. Im not paying someone else to look at it though, i just dont have enough for the expense

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I decided to try a system restore also to an earlier point (hopefully pre-problem) but it outright refused to perform this action to

Is windows 10 really worth the upgrade from windows 7? Some ppl make the argument that windows 7 is now more susceptible to viruses but in all honesty, malware is usually built to target the most commonly used OS, so windows 8-10 and soon windows 11. So im sure a decent anti virus shpuld be able to handle any attacks on windows 7

Im just apprehensive to go to windows 10 as 8 and 8.1 are simply awful, and id rather stick with what i know and use windows 7, though im unsure of how it will run on a laptop from 2013 that had windows 8 as factory standard

As for your problem, which is likely the only solution for mine, a boot disk should solve the issue. And obviously use an external drive to back up all your stuff beforehand"

To be honest, I’ve really never liked Windows 10.

Call me old fashioned, but Windows XP was my personal favourite system

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"This is nothing a sledgehammer won’t solve"

That’s an option which I’m seriously considering

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

Check to see if there is another partition on the hard drive that you can move stuff to or it may actually already contain the installation files that you need.

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

Also, you can find out the model by going into the bios at boot up ... probably by pressing F2, F5, F8 or F12 as it boots up.

By *ooking4othersMan
over a year ago

Here ...

If you can get it on the internet you can go to dell.com and then the support page and you can interrogate your machine for problems from there.

By *ensuallover1000Man
over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

"If you can get it on the internet you can go to dell.com and then the support page and you can interrogate your machine for problems from there."

Thank you

over a year ago

"If you can get it on the internet you can go to dell.com and then the support page and you can interrogate your machine for problems from there."

I wont be able to access the internet, spent over half an hour to try load a web browser and still didnt get anywhere with it

And as far as other partitions go, i believe there is only one. My dad isnt very good with tech so he wouldnt go through the effort of having more than one partition, installing various programs in different places etc.

I have a laptop with about 1 or 2 terabytes of memory thats been absolutely stuffed with all sorts of crap to the very limit

Post new Message to Thread